Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > Orchid Photo Gallery > Taking and Processing Photographs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2007, 04:52 PM

iandaniel is on a distinguished road
Need Some Photography Tips? Ask me

Hi,
Every one, I am new here but I feel I can offer some assistance in this area being that I am a professional photographer. You can view my work at the link in my public profile
If you have any questions at all feel free to post or PM.
Feed back on my work is always nice to hear too.

Glad to be here.
Dan

Last edited by iandaniel; 07-03-2007 at 12:59 AM. Reason: Personal Weblinks Edited PM member for details Admin
Old 07-01-2007, 05:21 PM
Executive Senior Member
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Sharyn is just fantasticSharyn is just fantastic
Daniel: Welcome to the forum. I enjoyed viewing your pics in the links. You are artistically very talented. The photos are beautiful and very nicely presented. I especially liked the Tiffany.
Now, where's the orchids? You'll get no mercy here without orchid pics.
Old 07-01-2007, 05:43 PM
V.I.P Member

sandra is on a distinguished road
Beautiful photography Dan. Have you met up yet with Steven Meisel? I've known Steven forever. I hope your career is as successful as his has been.
Old 07-01-2007, 06:31 PM
Executive Senior Member

BillC is on a distinguished road
Hi and welcome to the forum. Most of us have completed Photography 101 set up by our resident pro. but the saying still holds true... "Two heads are better than one". Would you have a couple of models to spare for a while? You know the sort of thing; six feet two, eyes of blue, etc.

Best regards, Bill
Old 07-01-2007, 11:02 PM

m3phist023 is on a distinguished road
Wink

I saw two pics with Cymbidiums in there........for a Shiseido cosmetic ad. They're in there! Just not his 'chids.

I will take the guy with the volleyball! Yowza!
Beautiful pictures!
Old 07-02-2007, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharyn View Post
Daniel: Welcome to the forum. I enjoyed viewing your pics in the links. You are artistically very talented. The photos are beautiful and very nicely presented. I especially liked the Tiffany.
Well I just did some imformal ones yesterday I can put up. I will be doing some formal studios shots OH I do have one I use for an add let me put that up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01556.jpg (24.8 KB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01537.jpg (45.0 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01562.jpg (56.5 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01598.jpg (45.2 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg Cosmeticprod shoot cosmedic-001484.jpg (17.7 KB, 100 views)
Old 07-02-2007, 01:15 AM

and one more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharyn View Post
oh one final pic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cosmeticprod shoot cosmedic-001442.jpg (25.0 KB, 73 views)
Old 07-02-2007, 01:20 AM
V.I.P Member

Thanked 2,835 Times in 1,280 Posts
Anton is a glorious beacon of lightAnton is a glorious beacon of lightAnton is a glorious beacon of lightAnton is a glorious beacon of lightAnton is a glorious beacon of lightAnton is a glorious beacon of light
Love the Paphs, that dark one looks like the one Kevin won an AOS Award with, beautiful, is it a Paph Barbatum?

I presume the lighter one is a Paph lawrencianum ?
Old 07-02-2007, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandra View Post
Beautiful photography Dan. Have you met up yet with Steven Meisel? I've known Steven forever. I hope your career is as successful as his has been.

I have not met Steven yet. Is he part of this forum? My career as a photographer is sucessful except for one thing I love photgraphy and don't realy like to what I say sell out. ( do it for the money, and losing my one creative beliefs). So I am back in school, for medicine. yeah 6 more years to go.
Old 07-02-2007, 06:38 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Thanked 3,432 Times in 1,258 Posts
Bolero is on a distinguished road
Question: What kind of black background material would you recommend for orchid photography??? Felt or cotton or something else???
Old 07-02-2007, 07:39 AM
V.I.P Member

Anton is a glorious beacon of lightAnton is a glorious beacon of lightAnton is a glorious beacon of lightAnton is a glorious beacon of lightAnton is a glorious beacon of lightAnton is a glorious beacon of light
Felt tends to be too reflective.

I used to use cotton, but it is a bugger for lint. I am now using a heavy nylon material in both black and royal blue.

The secret is to make sure it is not wrinkled or have fold marks as these will show up.

Last edited by Anton; 07-02-2007 at 07:42 AM.
Old 07-02-2007, 07:41 AM
Site Administrator
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thanked 3,229 Times in 1,356 Posts
fred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond repute
welcome back the monkey hehehe
Old 07-02-2007, 08:21 AM
V.I.P Member

pikevi is just really nicepikevi is just really nicepikevi is just really nicepikevi is just really nicepikevi is just really nice
Welcome to the forum, iandaniel.

I think most of us love to be better than what we are in photography skills. Anton has been helping us out a lot. Your help would be appreciated as well.

And a good choice in studies. Six years may seem long but it will fly when you get involved in clinicals. Best wishes in your medical studies.
Old 07-02-2007, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolero View Post
Question: What kind of black background material would you recommend for orchid photography??? Felt or cotton or something else???
If you want to spend the money on some Felt that really gives a neat effect . Just keep the fabric smooth with out wrinkels and at least 10 inches away from flower depending on the look you are going for. Either way the background purpose is to minimize distraction of you subject. Keep it simple and smooth,, I use seemless paper.
Old 07-02-2007, 01:40 PM
Executive Senior Member

Thank you for the orchid pics. I especially love the Paph. - looks very similar to Kevin's winner. Now, I know between you, Anton, Jerry, Bill, Cynthia, Kevin, and I'm sure many other others, I'm going to have to dump this little Canon powershot in order to compete with such nice pics of our beloved orchids! Yikes - now more expenses. New orchids? New camera? New orchids? Ahhhhhhhhhh, you get the picture.
Old 07-02-2007, 02:01 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Vivienne is just really niceVivienne is just really niceVivienne is just really niceVivienne is just really niceVivienne is just really nice
New orchids!! At least that would be my choice. I don't care how good a camera is, it still won't work for me. LOL
Old 07-02-2007, 03:15 PM
Executive Senior Member

BillC is on a distinguished road
Sharyn, don't dump the powershot! The pic you put in the June comp was very good. Anyway, I thought so.

Bill.
Old 07-02-2007, 04:23 PM
Executive Senior Member Photobucket

arleneg is a jewel in the rougharleneg is a jewel in the rougharleneg is a jewel in the rougharleneg is a jewel in the rough
Sharyn,

I definitely agree with Bill about not dumping your Canon powershot. I've seen many great powershot pics... It's just a matter of getting well acquainted with your camera.

What type of Powershot do you have?
Old 07-02-2007, 05:11 PM
Executive Senior Member

Thanks Bill. I've been practicing Anton's techniques, however, he didn't mention anything about attaching binnoculars atop the camera, atop the tripod. And, taking pictures near dark is a real problem finding my refrehments.

Arlene: Its a Canon Powershot A540. Everytime I read more instructions, my head spins! A little knowledge is dangerous.
Old 07-02-2007, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arleneg View Post
Sharyn,

I definitely agree with Bill about not dumping your Canon powershot. I've seen many great powershot pics... It's just a matter of getting well acquainted with your camera.

What type of Powershot do you have?
I agree, I love canon powershots, actually any camera will do for me, they are all like cars to me. I just "get in and drive them". The key to good photographs is more often understanding light and quality of light than equipment, However sometimes having the right equipment is neccesary to key shot.
Some would be maybe surprised but I love my Sony Cybershot Point and shoot. I used it all the time on the orchids.

Here is one tip that is easy for any body. find a nice window or outside in the shade. with bright but diffused light ( no direct sun) to place your subject ie. orchid, and turn your flash off, and go to town, shoot away.
Old 07-02-2007, 06:15 PM
V.I.P Member

You STILL haven't answered the MAIN question, what's the names of your orchids ???????

Your not getting off that easy.
Old 07-02-2007, 07:28 PM
V.I.P Member

pikevi is just really nicepikevi is just really nicepikevi is just really nicepikevi is just really nicepikevi is just really nice
I love my powershot (canon A95).

Most of my photos are taken by this very handy camera. Canon rebel xti SLR is fairly bulky. But it is very good for closeups.

Sharyn , yours is a better one than mine. Keep it.

One inefficient but practical suggestion (without detail reading of instructions) is to take the same shot with auto setting and then with various manual settings and see how they come out. And I think like any other activity improvement comes with experience.

Good luck.
Old 07-02-2007, 08:17 PM

Atriel is on a distinguished road
I have a Sony Cyber-shot DSC-S600. I like it and it really works well for point and shoot stuff.
Old 07-02-2007, 09:03 PM
Executive Senior Member

Thanks to all for your encouragement. I'll keep practicing. The biggest problem that I've had is getting things into sharp focus - now, if I could just get a new set of eyeballs!
Old 07-02-2007, 09:22 PM
Site Administrator
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

fred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond repute
I know the feeling Sharyn

All my pics look good untill i upload them although with Anton's help my picture takeing is getting better slowly.
Old 07-02-2007, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton View Post
You STILL haven't answered the MAIN question, what's the names of your orchids ???????

Your not getting off that easy.
ha ha. gotcha, well here is what I got.
the two Paphiopedilums are
(the white) Hsinying Maajukun x lawrenceanum

(the Dark) Hsinying Pie x Hsinying Web
(As far as taxonomy goes how would I display these I know they are hybrids would I give them this way?)

The Psychopsis is a kalihi type, and
an Epidendrum MC

andan ansortment of about 5-6 other subspecies of Phals
you'll have to forgive me for not doing the research on the phals doubt the are pure breds any how.

the photos attached are a side note does any bodyhave any of these cymbidiums they would like to sell or possibly for trade or some seeds they are sitting on. I am looking for the light green ones ( sorry for not knowing their name) . or the other one in the photos. I am located in the USA so probably be easier for shipping if the plant was too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ruby sunset.jpg (25.2 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg Ruby sunset .jpg (18.4 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg Cymbidium Ba;tic Glacier Mint.jpg (19.8 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg Cymbidium Baltic Glacier Mint ice Green .jpg (26.9 KB, 39 views)

Last edited by kmarch; 07-03-2007 at 10:17 PM. Reason: nomenclature corrections
Old 07-03-2007, 10:51 AM

charleyismydog is on a distinguished road
Nice choice with those cyms. The pink is Gorgeous!! Good luck with finding them. Is that a puggle in your avatar? To continue the camera talk, my husband is looking at getting me the Sony Cybershot T100. Would you recommend?
Old 07-03-2007, 01:25 PM
Executive Senior Member Photobucket

arleneg is a jewel in the rougharleneg is a jewel in the rougharleneg is a jewel in the rougharleneg is a jewel in the rough
Sharyn -- Don't worry. My head spins, too, when I start reading the manual for my camera. So I tend to play around with it when I first get it. My 5-yr old has a Powershot A410. She likes it...so do I!

Like iandaniel said, "...good photographs is more often understanding light and quality of light than equipment, However sometimes having the right equipment is neccesary to key shot." I prefer using natural light as much as possible. When natural isn't available, I use my flash with diffuser.

charleyismydog -- I tried the Sony Cybershots and really like them (saving for one ). If the one you're looking at has all the features you like and is comfortable in your hands, go for it.
Old 07-03-2007, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charleyismydog View Post
Nice choice with those cyms. The pink is Gorgeous!! Good luck with finding them. Is that a puggle in your avatar? To continue the camera talk, my husband is looking at getting me the Sony Cybershot T100. Would you recommend?
That is a puggle she is my best model poses so perfectly for me. I love her.
The Cyber shots in general for point and shoots are great. if you tell me more specifically what you will be shooing I may be can give you a better more direct reccomendation. But yes the T 100 is a great choice.
Old 07-03-2007, 09:30 PM
V.I.P Member

Ian, I thought Kevin may have been up before now, he is the resident Paph expert, resident Judge in Training and all round good guy.

He is the best one to tell you the correct nomenclature for your Paphs and I would say probably their names as well.

Kevin was a U.S. citizen and still has his finger on the pulse with orchids there, if he doesn't know their names, would probably know someone who does.
Old 07-03-2007, 10:39 PM
V.I.P Member

Thanked 5,451 Times in 3,014 Posts
kmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond repute
Hi, Kevin here. I do have some name info on your Paphs for you. If you look at your original post you'll noticed i made a few corrections regarding capitalization. With species names the genus (in this case Paphiopedilum) is always capitalized but the specific name (lawrencianum for example) is always lower case. With hybrids all names are capitalized (Paph Hsinying Pie).

Quote:
Originally Posted by iandaniel View Post
(the white) Hsinying Maajukun x lawrenceanum
The spelling of the first name is incorrect, it's Paph. Hsinying Majakun. This cross (Paph Hsinying Majakun x lawrenceanum) has been named and registered. It is Paph. Hsinying Lawrenkun.

Quote:
(the Dark) Hsinying Pie x Hsinying Web
This hybrid has not yet been registered. If you were showing this orchid or just wanted to make a tag, putting:

Paph Hsinying Pie x Hsinying Web

on the tag or show lable would be perfectly acceptable.

For more information on orchid names, how they're expressed, and what they tell you, read my article Orchid Nomenclature.

Cheers!
Old 07-04-2007, 11:49 AM

charleyismydog is on a distinguished road
Ian, the camera would be mostly for parties and weekend trips, graduations, weddings, etc. I have a vintage Nikon manual (that I love) for when I feel like shooting film. It sounds like the cybershot would be fine for that, right?
Old 07-04-2007, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charleyismydog View Post
Ian, the camera would be mostly for parties and weekend trips, graduations, weddings, etc. I have a vintage Nikon manual (that I love) for when I feel like shooting film. It sounds like the cybershot would be fine for that, right?
Yes you got it. That would be a good camera for those activities. Just read your manual about your flash limitations. different lighting conditions. It will help you get the shots you want.
Old 07-04-2007, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarch View Post
Hi, Kevin here. I do have some name info on your Paphs for you. If you look at your original post you'll noticed i made a few corrections regarding capitalization. With species names the genus (in this case Paphiopedilum) is always capitalized but the specific name (lawrencianum for example) is always lower case. With hybrids all names are capitalized (Paph Hsinying Pie).

The spelling of the first name is incorrect, it's Paph. Hsinying Majakun. This cross (Paph Hsinying Majakun x lawrenceanum) has been named and registered. It is Paph. Hsinying Lawrenkun.

This hybrid has not yet been registered. If you were showing this orchid or just wanted to make a tag, putting:

Paph Hsinying Pie x Hsinying Web

on the tag or show lable would be perfectly acceptable.

For more information on orchid names, how they're expressed, and what they tell you, read my article Orchid Nomenclature.

Cheers!
Hi Kevin ,
thanks for the help in naming, I 'm glad someone pays attention and understands Nomanclature of the Thousands of Orchid Species. Without it how would we keep them all straight and in order.

As far as the Orchid species goes is the "Orchid" The species group and all the types of orchids a "sub-species" How does that play out?

I believe if I paid attention in bio Class to be classified as part of the same Species, the two specimens have to be able to reproduce together.

So with that said can all orchids Cross pollinate? and are they all in the same species? and then catorgorized into sub species?
I have been wondering that for a while.
Old 07-04-2007, 01:03 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Vivienne is just really niceVivienne is just really niceVivienne is just really niceVivienne is just really niceVivienne is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarch View Post
Cool - I have this Paph - time to update the tag and my database. Thanks Kevin!!
Old 07-04-2007, 05:59 PM
Executive Senior Member

Hummer344 is on a distinguished road
for a background I use a black satin cloth I bought at the sewing store. Actually its satin on one side and flat black on the other side. I find the the satin side give a better back ground. I attach it to a frame, pull it taut, then clip it with clips you get at the hardware store. If you are handy with any of the Adobe Photo programs a black back ground makes it easy to cut out your flower and insert it into a new background of you choice. Usually black, in my case. I don't have any fancy lighting stuff and rarely use a flash. Its always lite available. Anyway, the materials are out there to make an easy, & cheap, backdrop. My avatar was is a nice example of what I do. I shot it using the black background, cut out the flower, pasted it into a better back ground then inserted the hummingbird.

Last edited by Hummer344; 07-04-2007 at 06:01 PM.
Old 07-21-2007, 06:28 AM
V.I.P Member

Thanks gore42.

I am a Canon lover too. From optical to digital I have Canons. ( except for a Nikon FA, which I liked).

I am thinking of buying a Nikon D80 (18-135). That is why I needed to know what you did not like about Nikon. I am ready to buy it today but there is not much change I could get unde then cushions of the sofas

Thanks again.
Old 07-21-2007, 08:25 AM
V.I.P Member

Matt, I too am a Canon EOS man, would love to get a 5D!

Full frame CMOS, 12.1 Mp. Way to go !

But, for the time being I have to settle for my 3 EOS 650 bodies and EF Lenses and trying to find a lab to process my films without scratching them.

Keep your Nikons, I'll stay with Canon, except my point n shoot Olympus F120 which I use for most photgraphy these days. As Matt said, it is just knowing your equipment and how to get the best out of it.

Don't need to spend mega bucks on equipment to get good images.
Old 07-21-2007, 09:33 AM
Member Photobucket

NancyG is on a distinguished road
That second image is so beautiful!

I have a canon powershot S2IS. It has the same problems with auto focus and low light conditions. Between my eyes going and the focus on the camera I don't know if my camera or myself are capable of the quality of your images.

I love looking at them.

NancyG
Old 07-21-2007, 09:35 AM
V.I.P Member

I checked the 12.1 EOS!, $3000US!!!!!!!

I think it is out of my league.

Nikon D80-(18-135) is about $1400CAD

BTW, while checking the 12.1 EOS , I found that Canon has a 17.8MP. Could not find the price for it though.
Old 07-21-2007, 12:37 PM

gore42 is on a distinguished road
Yeah, they're pricey! The Rebel XTi has a 10.1 Mpixel sensor, and is much cheaper, but then you have to own a camera called "Rebel", and that seems kinda cheesy to me. It's supposed to be a good camera though. I've been thinking about the 20D or 30D for years, but haven't committed.

My favorite feature of the more expensive Canon cameras is the thumb wheel on the back for exposure compensation... that was SOOO useful on my EOS A2. I'm hoping that Canon releases a new model this year with features somewhere in between the 30D and 5D... like a 30D with a 12-15 Mpixel sensor

- Matt
Old 07-21-2007, 02:53 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

PhalPal is a jewel in the roughPhalPal is a jewel in the roughPhalPal is a jewel in the roughPhalPal is a jewel in the rough
I took a photography class in college and the instructor told us "A GOOD photographer can take a brilliant picture with just about any camera out there." I do believe there is some truth to this, but he could not have possibly imagined the technology to come in the 20 years since making this statement!
Old 07-21-2007, 09:10 PM
V.I.P Member

Thanked 1,239 Times in 532 Posts
jerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond repute
A few important points on digital cameras for Orchids.

Forget the high price SLRs with high mega pixels. The large size files are only important for prints and a 4 MP (my original camera) camera makes excellent prints to 20 inches so what do you need. On the INTERNET the maximum size for a posting is about 250k pixels that's 1/4 of a MP.

I am certain you could not look at my pictures on the Gallery and determine which are the point and shoot Nikon 4500 and which are the SLR Nikon's. I shot professionally to pay my way through college.

With orchids you need to have a good focus and not blur the photo with movement. Every camera can do this for you, if you train yourself.

Focus is important if you are buying a new camera. Determine if it will focus close enough. Many of the photos I see are shot closer than the minimum distance of the camera. They will always look bad. An inexpensive close up filter ($10 or less) can adapt any camera to shoot close enough.

Most point and shoot focus closer than an SLR. My Nikon 4500 could focus to 1/2 inch and my SLR no closer than 2 feet and no closer than 5 feet with the bigger telephoto. I have close up filters for both lenses.

The second problem I see all the time is blur. Point and shoot cameras have a shutter delay of up to 1 second. If you push the shutter and think you have the photo, when you move away the camera shoots and it is blurred. Hold it still for a couple of seconds after the shot until you get the technique.

When I carry only one camera for Orchids it is the 4 MP point and shoot Nikon 4500 rather than the SLR. The SLR can do many things the other camera can not, but for still close ups, it does nothing extra for me. The larger files are slower to work with and I throw away all the extra mega pixels when I downsize the files for posting.

I had hoped we would have had these discussions in the Section for photography but no one seems to want to use it.

There are many things that will improve Orchid photos with processing after the shot. None of my photos on the Gallery are straight from the camera. Digital cameras are intentionally soft photos since all professionals adjust exposure and sharpness based on the photo.

Little things like darkening the edges of the photo make big improvements. If you would like a Discussion on these I would be happy to give advice.
Old 07-21-2007, 10:25 PM

Jerry,

I agree that a point and shoot is a good, all around solution for most situations. I'd still take a 1:1 micro lens on an SLR with a tripod, though

And of course you're right about the Megapixel issue for the internet... I used to use a 3 Mpixel Olympus, and still had the resize the photos down quite a bit for posting.

On the other hand, for those who want to publish in books or magazines, the standard resolution for print is 300 ppi, rather than the 72 we use on the web... so if you're going to do a full page photo or a cover shot, and want truly professional quality (assuming 8.5 x 11"), you really need over 8 megapixels, assuming that you haven't cropped your photo at all, in which case you would need more.

Anyway, I think you had enough good tips in your post alone to make this a valuable thread to have in the Photo section Since it didn't really start out as a photo thread, we need someone like you to move it there!

Thanks

- Matthew Gore
Old 07-21-2007, 10:43 PM

zonepusher is on a distinguished road
Great information to use when I buy a new camera.

Last edited by zonepusher; 07-21-2007 at 11:05 PM.
Old 07-22-2007, 04:40 AM
V.I.P Member

Pikevi you NOW know why I use an Olympus FE120 6 MP p&s.

As I routinely print 17" wide images on my large format printer at work, would love the Canon 5D, but ................
I am able to print to this size with my p&s without any problems and as Jerry said, would defy any but a trained
pro to pick the difference between that and a 12 MP image.

As I have repeated many times on this forum, a tripod IS ESSENTIAL to good closeups and composition in flower photography to eliminate shake and out of focus images,............. right FRED ??????????

READ YOUR MANUALS and practice, practice, practice. Digital "film" is cheap.

Last edited by Anton; 07-22-2007 at 04:43 AM.
Old 07-22-2007, 05:04 AM
Site Administrator

yes Anton you are right about a tripod *** ESSENTIAL ***

he who listens will take some top shots
Old 07-22-2007, 05:55 AM
V.I.P Member

Thanks, jerrymeola.

A very useful and concise lecture on the basics to look for in selecting a camera.

I have taken fairly good close-up photos with my 5.1 Canon A95, than the Canon rebel XTi.

Yes, I got it, Anton. I also got my tripod stand. I will try and start using it from now on ( it is too darn heavy).

Thanks for all the help.
Old 07-22-2007, 06:27 PM
V.I.P Member

Simple Pikevi, buy a lighter one !

I did, just for my p&s, folds up into a small bundle, weighs next to nothing and does everything the Manfrotto with the fluid head does, but without the bulk and weight.

I seldom use the Manfrotto these days, except with the Canons and telephotos, and my dig handycam when I have the tele on that.
Old 07-22-2007, 06:49 PM
V.I.P Member

LOL, thank you. I remember reading something about 'steadiness' of a tripod and I went and spent a pretty penny on it. . It is very steady alright but I ave to have a special protein meal the previous night along with some vitamins ,if I have to carry it with me

I will get a lighter one
Old 07-22-2007, 10:31 PM

Quick Tip for Close Ups (from a Tripod)

There was some discussion about tripod use in another thread, and a tip came to mind that I hadn't seen anyone mention.

If you're taking a macro photo, with your point and shoot camera mounted on a tripod, one of the most problematic sources of camera movement/vibration is the act of pushing the shutter release button! With my camera, the shutter lag is just right so that when I take a photo, the camera is just reflexing from pressing the button, so I get the most possible blur.

The easiest way to fix the problem? Use the self timer! I use the self timer on all of my orchid photos just so that I'm sure that I don't have any vibrations still floating around in the tripod or camera when the shutter releases.

Of course, if you have a cool DSLR, you can just use a cable release, and you can also lock up the mirror. But since most of us are taking photos with point and shoots, I've found that this makes a HUGE difference in the quality of my photos.

- Matt Gore
Old 07-22-2007, 11:37 PM
V.I.P Member

Gore42, that tip was mentioned a few months ago, by myself, but doesn't hurt to bring it up again for newbies who may not have been on the Forum then.
Old 07-23-2007, 07:24 AM
Senior Member Photobucket

chefatplay is just fantasticchefatplay is just fantasticchefatplay is just fantastic
I feel like I'm in a college course here. Thank you to everyone who is willing to share and take the time to write all this stuff down for us. I had a tripod, but the tripod broke it's leg. It's no wonder, it had been around since we got married, 25 years ago. I just broke the news to my husband I would like to have a digital camera with a few different lenses. He rolled his eyes . He knows he's lost. Hehehehehehe.

I would like to save this thread. Fred, can I save individual threads somewhere?
Old 07-23-2007, 09:57 AM
V.I.P Member

A good P&S is all you need Ellen, unless you are going to do maxi prints.

All my orchid pikkies are on an Olympus FE120 6 MP point and shoot. It has a magnificent Super Close Up Facility, try before you buy to see what suits you.

Try and get one where you can control the exposure a bit with "+/-" symbol on the camera, as then you can drop the exposure back a bit if your flash shots are overexposed, also look for a good macro / super Macro for your close ups, get a minimum of a 1Gig memory stick, so that if you want to take a few shots at maximum res you have the space.

Buy a lightweight tripod that is designed specifically for digital P&S cameras so that you can compose your shots, and also as mentioned use the self timer to take shots so that you don't end up with camera shake.

If your shot doesn't look quite right, the camera stays still, and you just move the plant to adjust the composition.

You really don't need high end SLR equipment, unless of course you have the money to waste, or you are going to be selling your images.

I have won several first prizes for images taken on my OLYMPUS.
Old 07-24-2007, 07:52 AM
Senior Member Photobucket

chefatplay is just fantasticchefatplay is just fantasticchefatplay is just fantastic
I have written down the camera info and will start looking around. I think you're pretty "on" about what I am looking for, Lord Anton. A good friend of mine gave me one of his cameras to "play" with, a film camera. It took me 10 minutes to figure out how to turn the thing on, then the different adjustments, too much for me right now. Can't even imagine taking that on the air boat or with me in the woods turkey hunting! I want to be able to pack and enjoy.
Old 08-01-2007, 06:16 AM
V.I.P Member

Thanked 1,239 Times in 532 Posts
jerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond repute
A couple of other tips.

A tripod is excellant especially to get you to learn but if I had to use a tripod for all my photos, I would lose interest in the shots. I sometimes have less than 10 minutes to photograph 5-10 new orchids.

One big reason is that I like to move around and recompose the photo. This is the biggest cause of poor photos I see. Moving to a different angle will greatly change a photo. Look at the backgrounds and avoid the problem of a bad background rather than try to remove it later.

Now to avoid blur without a tripod. Many point and shoot cameras like my Nikon 4500 have a BBS (BestShotselector). The camera takes three photos determines which is the sharpest and records that one.

My SLR does not have this feature but has a continuous shot feature so I hold the shuuter down and take three or four photos at a time and I chose the sharpest. Fortunately digital photos do not cost anything to delete.

Use your body to brace the camera. Rest your arms on your legs in a seated position. Steady the camera with a table or wall (anything) for support.

Take a deep breath before the shot.

Learn what works best for you. I can hand hold a 300mm lens at a 1/30 of a second, which is 10 times slower than recommended. It is only a matter of practice. Digital is free to try and try again. Do it.
Old 08-01-2007, 08:13 AM
V.I.P Member

Just to add to Jerry's comments, just remember geometry at school, a triangle is the most stable geometric shape.

Form a triangle with your arms either against your body or resting on a table and that will aid in steadying the camera.
Old 08-01-2007, 11:35 AM
V.I.P Member

Thanked 5,451 Times in 3,014 Posts
kmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond repute
My apologies for the delay in addressing your questions here. I haven’t been keeping track of this thread much, but hopefully this will make up for it:

Quote:
As far as the Orchid species goes is the "Orchid" The species group and all the types of orchids a "sub-species" How does that play out?

I believe if I paid attention in bio Class to be classified as part of the same Species, the two specimens have to be able to reproduce together.

So with that said can all orchids Cross pollinate? and are they all in the same species? and then catorgorized into sub species?
I have been wondering that for a while.
Let’s see….where to start chipping away at this monster….
Ok, let’s start by forgetting all the bits and pieces of what you remember from biology class and start from a completely clean slate. Forget everything you’re trying to remember above, all that stuff about species and cross pollination and sub species (most of the terms are being use incorrectly anyway) and let’s start over.

All orchids are definitely not the same species. There are currently more than 35,000 known, described species with about 800 new species being discovered every year. The "orchid" group you refer to is actually the plant Family Orchidaceae.

A "species" orchid is a morphologically (anatomically) distinct population of orchids capable of being sustained through polination/reproduction, at risk of over simplifying, in layman's terms, it is a wild orchid. For example Paph lawrencianum occurs naturally in the wild, is genetically distinct (identifiable) and sustains itself, as a population, through pollination/reproduction: Paph lawrencianum x Paph lawrencianum = more Paph lawrencianum. Like species reproduce with and among themselves in the wild (and in cultivation as well under human supervision).

Taxonomists have noticed that certain groups of species have similar characteristics, usually anatomical, and they group these species together in a genus (the plural of genus is genera). All species within a genus have certain common characteristics including their ability to breed with other, different species found in the same genus. Sometimes (not often) this occurs in nature (the result being what we call a “natural hybrid”) but usually it occurs in cultivation through human intervention (what we call an “artificial hybrid”).

Moving up the classification ladder one more rung we find that several genera are grouped together in what we call a “Subtribe.” Different genera found within the same subtribe (Cattleya, Sophronites, Laelia for example all found in Subtribe Laeliinae) can be crossed with one another. Some subtribes contain only one genus. When that is the case (as with Paphs) species in that genus will not cross with species of any other genus. In short, genera from different subtribes cannot be crossed with one another.

Hopefully this has answered some of the questions you’ve had about what constitutes a “species” and which orchids can be crossed with one another. If you have more questions, don’t hesitate to ask them! While not a taxonomist myself, I’ll be happy to share what I do know.

Cheers!
Old 04-20-2008, 02:48 AM
V.I.P Member

kid a is on a distinguished road
Thank you this has been quite helpful because I have tried to cross pollinate once in the past with no luck; now I know why. Thank you again!
Old 04-28-2008, 12:34 AM

livvylove is on a distinguished road
These tips are great. I have a Casio Exilim and all my photos are just taken using flower mode but I do it for fun. I'm just going to keep trying and playing around with it. I love the tips and am going to try a few from this thread.
Old 04-28-2008, 01:32 AM
V.I.P Member

livvylove, if you check out the photography section, I ran some photo 101 courses here last year, and from memory Fred has made them into stickies so that newbies can pick up tips, tricks and techniques to get the best out of your flower photography.

Also, I have given several members one on one lessons to help improve their photography, and I must say, most of them have proceeded into Intermediate, or just teetering on being promoted to Intermediate category in our monthly photo comp.

If you want or need help send me a Private Message, and I'll see what I can do.
Old 05-03-2008, 04:58 AM
V.I.P Member

I think I am beginning to ease into using a tripod for close-ups , Thanks to Anton.

But I am always in a rush and have little patience to set it up. Anton's advice has always been very solid... and one should always follow it.

I will consistently use the tripod when I get deeper into photography or when I get older, whichever comes first
Old 05-03-2008, 05:32 AM
Site Administrator

just to add to Anton's post just look through some of my older pictures even in the photo comp you will see proof of just how good his lessons are just a tip though listen to Anton as he does know his stuff.
A great Teacher and he does help you stet by step and takes the time to explain things.

so all you have to do is ask
Old 05-03-2008, 09:28 AM

cytojo is on a distinguished road
WOW, I am not following any of these rules. I do not and will not use a tripod for flower photography, or any photography, not even racing. Nor will I use a Monopod (well other than using it as a walking stick). After trying many fabrics years ago, I have settled on black felt. An absolute requirement for me is that it is ironed smooth. It is always stored rolled on a tube (empty wrapping paper tube) to prevent wrinkles.

Camera wise, I use either my Canon Powershot A710, My Canon Digital Rebel with either the 17-55 mm, the 28-105 mm or my 50-500 mm lens. If I wanted drop dead gorgeous prints I use my canon EOS 3 and Fuji Velvia 50 slide film. Absolutely some of the best film I have ever seen. One can actually see all the texture in the flower.

Last edited by cytojo; 05-03-2008 at 09:32 PM. Reason: Inappropriate flower used.
Old 05-03-2008, 08:57 PM

kazjak is on a distinguished road
Wow! Your Iris's are open already?!? We're only 30 minutes apart and mine are just now sending up buds.. They probably won't open till end of next week.... I can't wait.

http://kazjak.webhop.org/gardening/gardening.htm
Old 05-03-2008, 09:16 PM
Site Administrator

yep the Iris looks good but please keep to the Topic of the thread.
Quick Tip for Close Ups (from a Tripod)
the teacher of our Photography 101 is firm about that.
If you would like to start a thread in the Other Plants Section
Other Plants - Orchid Forum Orchid Care
thank you
Old 05-03-2008, 09:31 PM

Thanks Fred. The Iris was used to show that people do not need to use tripods or fancy cameras. I will delete the Iris.
Old 05-04-2008, 08:49 AM
V.I.P Member

I do have 'very steady' hands (unless I had been working in my backyard or playing a long game of tennis) and I have captured fairly good (in my perspective) photographs of flowers . But I do have to admit that some have become blurry at the edges. But,however, this is a digital age and I did not miss anything. ( just in case : Flickr: pikevi's Photostream )

I will be posting my photos in our photo section shortly.

I am not doubting your prowess in photography , cytojo, but I am sure a tripod will surely help ANYONE, I think, even though I think like you..; and quite reluctant to use a tripod

But , then , I am a novice to pass any judgement on professionals' capability(ies)
Old 05-04-2008, 10:05 AM

Pikevi;

Sent you a PM.

Joanne
Old 06-17-2008, 08:56 PM

audra is on a distinguished road
i feel like cameras these days have too many bells and whistles. give me an old canon ae-1 any day. i have far better results with something completely manual. too bad i'm not patient enough to wait for film anymore. i'm sure my digital could take excellent photos, but its hard for me to understand. i feel like it's outsmarted me. my photos always come out over exposed or under exposed or too contrast-y. does anyone know of any digital cameras with settings that would allow a more manual approach?: read light meter, adjust aperture and shutter speed, manually focus and then shoot?
Old 06-17-2008, 10:41 PM
V.I.P Member

PM me and I'll see what I can do.
Old 06-18-2008, 10:51 AM
Super Moderator Photobucket

Cynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond repute
Sharyn, have you tried my technique for getting the camera in focus on your flowers?
http://www.orchidgeeks.com/forum/tak...phy-101-a.html
I used to use the review and zoom buttons a lot to check the resulting image to see if I was successful with the technique I describe in the above thread.

I replaced the A40 I had the focus problem with, with an SLR. SLRs use a different algorithm for focusing and don't have the point and shoot focus problems.

Prescott Orchid Society
Old 06-20-2008, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audra View Post
i feel like cameras these days have too many bells and whistles. give me an old canon ae-1 any day. i have far better results with something completely manual. too bad i'm not patient enough to wait for film anymore. i'm sure my digital could take excellent photos, but its hard for me to understand. i feel like it's outsmarted me. my photos always come out over exposed or under exposed or too contrast-y. does anyone know of any digital cameras with settings that would allow a more manual approach?: read light meter, adjust aperture and shutter speed, manually focus and then shoot?

Pretty much all photos need to be altered a little for optimal results, with that said however.
Digital is some what more difficult than film, much like the old slide film. Digital too is much less for giving as far as dinamic range. (image detail exposure range).
If you are wanting a camera which allows you to utilize all the manual settings like your AE -1 then you will probably have to get your hands on an D SLR. Some point and shoot cameras do offer some manual settings and may even do an ok job, however most of these cameras often cost almost as much as a SLR. Alot of canons will offer manual shutter settings and flash setttings but lack in the maunal focus and Aperature settings and a few other features your mentioned above.

I would say post some pics or send some to me privately I would be willing to give you some constructive solutions to your problems.

Last edited by iandaniel; 06-20-2008 at 05:14 AM.