Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > Orchid Photo Gallery > Taking and Processing Photographs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2007, 02:26 PM
Super Moderator Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Cynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond repute
Photos: have updated my pbase site

http://www.pbase.com/schnitz/orchid_collection
Many new orchids, and lots of old ones removed as these represent what I have, not what I used to have. Anyone like to recommend pics to load on the forum somewhere for the July+ competition?

Prescott Orchid Society
Old 07-17-2007, 03:09 PM
Senior Member Photobucket

prisana is a jewel in the roughprisana is a jewel in the roughprisana is a jewel in the rough
Cynthia, are you looking for a hand in your nursery ( hint hint ) I'm willling to move to Arizona !! What a collection ! So many different orchids and so many of them. I would be in heaven just being in your GH .
Old 07-17-2007, 03:51 PM

E-Jag is on a distinguished road
Cynthia, your Cymbidium tethys BlackMagic is mind boggling, particularly to someone who doesn't have all that much to boggle. I know nothing about Cyms but that is about to change. Is that a fairly old plant? That's one of the prettiest/coolest looking orchids I've ever seen. That photo gets my nod.

Old 07-17-2007, 06:43 PM
V.I.P Member

Thanked 2,835 Times in 1,280 Posts
Anton is a glorious beacon of lightAnton is a glorious beacon of lightAnton is a glorious beacon of lightAnton is a glorious beacon of lightAnton is a glorious beacon of lightAnton is a glorious beacon of light
Cynthia there seems to be a common thread there.

I now know your favourite color is purple.

Not only did you do stacks of repotting, but photographed them as well, you WERE a busy little chappy.

And, you want US to pick a comp entry for YOU ? That's like putting a kid in a candy store and saying to them pick us the best candy. Sheeesh.

Last edited by Anton; 07-17-2007 at 09:44 PM.
Old 07-17-2007, 07:15 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Vivienne is just really niceVivienne is just really niceVivienne is just really niceVivienne is just really niceVivienne is just really nice
Cynthia - glorious!! I can be there in about 13 hours the next time you need repotting help!
Old 07-17-2007, 10:42 PM
Executive Senior Member Photobucket

arleneg is a jewel in the rougharleneg is a jewel in the rougharleneg is a jewel in the rougharleneg is a jewel in the rough
Wow!!! What a diverse collection! The Vanda testacea is cute! I'd like to have one of those.

What potting medium are you using for the Gastrochilus dasypogon? I have a mounted Gastrochilus somai and would like to pot it.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:01 PM
V.I.P Member

pikevi is just really nicepikevi is just really nicepikevi is just really nicepikevi is just really nicepikevi is just really nice
hmmmm... I Thought I had a glimpse of the paradise.

If I had so many orchids in bloom I will be ready to leave this world right then
Old 07-17-2007, 11:07 PM
V.I.P Member

sandra is on a distinguished road
Sensational, incredibly beautiful Cynthia.

Vivienne, wait for me!
Old 07-18-2007, 02:39 AM

Cynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond repute
Whooa, folks. These are my collection of pictures over about 6 years, starting when I borrowed my sons digital camera, and then got my own. They are not all in bloom at the same time. That would be nice tho, wouldn't it. The Cym. Thethys 'Black Magic' is a very early shot, and that particular plant was trashed because I was pretty sure it had virus. However, I am keeping the picture on my site, because I replaced the plant with one from the Santa Barbara Orchid Estates (SBOE), where they keep it in stock, for you Cym lovers, and where I originally got my first plant. Now I've been told that the color in the picture is not quite the right red, maybe it should be a little darker and more wine colored. Kept the Black Magic and others in my cold frame all last summer, and I think it was a little too stuffy in there, and did not have a decent flowering, atleast not good enough to photograph with my better camera.

I almost lost the Gastrochilus when my GH over heated this last winter, but is is finally starting to grow pretty good, just not as large a plant as I had. Lost all the multiple growths except for one. I have it, and most everything else, in my own mix of 2 parts small perlite to 1 part coursely sifted Canadian peat, with a little oyster shell thrown in to keep the PH at around the 6 range. Peat goes down to about 3.5 to 4 without it. If anyone wants to try my mix, youll need about 2 cups of oyster shell per cubic foot, and the mix gets pressed into the pot VERY firmly. I like to use disposable gloves and kind of feel the roots as I work the mix between them.

Prescott Orchid Society
Old 07-18-2007, 06:22 AM
V.I.P Member

Tobi is just fantasticTobi is just fantasticTobi is just fantastic
Cynthia,
They are all gorgeous. Too many to pick a favorite or two. I only hope
someday in the near future I can maintain 1/4 of the orchid population
you have.
Old 07-18-2007, 07:06 AM
Senior Member Photobucket

chefatplay is just fantasticchefatplay is just fantasticchefatplay is just fantastic
Cynthia, to say it's beautiful isn't enough. You have chronicled your dedication to your orchids and the pictures are a direct result. Absolutely awe inspiring. I have eight orchids and feel I can't give them the attention they always need.

Viv, Sandy, don't you dare leave without me!!!!!
Old 07-18-2007, 10:40 AM
V.I.P Member

Thanked 5,451 Times in 3,014 Posts
kmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond repute
Cynthia,

Your Paph niveum has award-quality shape no doubt about it. It's so round and tidy and well balanced. Of course I can't tell size or anything like that but I'm quite sure judges would have looked at it for an award. It's one of the nicest I have seen and better than a few I've seen awarded.

Cheers!
Old 07-18-2007, 10:54 AM
Site Administrator
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thanked 3,229 Times in 1,356 Posts
fred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond repute
outstanding display of pics Cynthia
Old 07-18-2007, 12:14 PM

The niveum is from Norito Hasegawa, who I believe has produced a number of awarded plants. I believe the niveum is just in bud again, so will measure the flower and take a few more pictures. We don't have regular AOS judging in Arizona, so doubt I will have much opportunity to get it awarded. But I was never into that kind of thing anyway. I am just delighted that the color is so pure looking. Some have more or less spoting, and this one is just my cup of tea.

Prescott Orchid Society
Old 07-18-2007, 03:13 PM
Member Photobucket

NancyG is on a distinguished road
Cynthia,

Wow! Just amazing! Your GH must smell wonderful too.

Too many to pick from for a favorite. Lots of hard work and knowledge went into this collection.

NancyG
Old 07-18-2007, 09:58 PM

I'll bet it smells wonderful too, but I can't smell it. My nose was poor at best, and since I moved to such a dry climate, it has gotten worse. Rarely I smell something good in the GH, but only after it has had time to permeate my nose, so there is no way to identify which plant smells so good. I started taking zinc to try to help the situation, and it may have helped, but I still have a nose that works less than 1% of the time. But I have hope.

Prescott Orchid Society
Old 07-20-2007, 12:36 AM

brookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of light
Hi Cynthia your pictures are very nice. I do have a question about one of them. I recieved a Den. from my grower, it was my free plant for buying a quantity. The name that I was given for it is Den. Sabin Blue x compactum. I was wondering if you could tell me anything about yours, as I have not been able to find any information about the Sabin Blue. Thanks so much.
Old 07-20-2007, 02:02 PM

My Sabin blue is a favorite plant. It was on the raffle table the first time I attended the Desert Valley Orchid Society in Phoenix. I saw the plant in bloom and was tempted to buy tikets, but my chances were poor and I wouldn't have wanted anything else, so I didn't buy tickets. The first plant goes to the lucky person who gets a special ticket for every plant brought in for display, and tho I didn't win that ticket selection, as I did bring in some plants for display, the winner was very gracious, and came over and gave me his winning ticket. Hence, I now own the Sabin Blue. It is standard warm growing Den hybrid in every sense of the word. No odd probelms with it, just grown with all my other warm Dens.

Prescott Orchid Society