Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > Orchid Photo Gallery > Taking and Processing Photographs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2007, 09:42 PM
V.I.P Member
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thanked 5,451 Times in 3,014 Posts
kmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond repute
leaves

Here's a few of the reasons I like Paphs so much.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg leaf1small.JPG (67.8 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg leaf5small.jpg (57.6 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg leaf2small.jpg (63.2 KB, 20 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to kmarch For This Useful Post:
hera (05-31-2010)
Old 05-17-2007, 09:49 PM
V.I.P Member

kmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond repute
and a few more
Attached Images
File Type: jpg leaf3-400.jpg (91.7 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg leaf4verysmall.jpg (101.1 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg leaf6vsmall.jpg (99.6 KB, 13 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to kmarch For This Useful Post:
hera (05-31-2010)
Old 05-17-2007, 09:50 PM
V.I.P Member

pikevi is just really nicepikevi is just really nicepikevi is just really nicepikevi is just really nicepikevi is just really nice
Lovely, kmarch.

Don't they look so much like snakeskins?
Old 05-17-2007, 11:00 PM
Site Administrator
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thanked 3,229 Times in 1,356 Posts
fred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond repute
yes they do look like a snake skin

i can see why you like them so much
Old 05-18-2007, 03:18 AM
Super Moderator Photobucket

brookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of light
Beautiful, I have not been that big a fan of the flowers (sorry, I am not sure why, they just look funny to me), but with leaves like those I might have to get one.
Old 05-18-2007, 01:42 PM
Executive Senior Member

tom499 is a jewel in the roughtom499 is a jewel in the roughtom499 is a jewel in the rough
I've been trying to research the reasons for the mottled patterns. Other plants have similiar patterns.

I wonder if its like a plant version of frekles? a more random spread of chlorophyll throughout the leaves. They do prefer shade, which im sure has something to do with it, as climber plants that grow up trees have such patterns.

I shall look into it, if anyone knows anything please post
Old 05-23-2007, 01:29 AM

Mr Speciosum is on a distinguished road
Yes, it DOES look like virus doesn't it!
hehehe......just kiddin.

If at first you don't suceed, Try, Try, Try
..............a different species!!

Devonport Orchid Society.
Old 05-23-2007, 07:49 AM
Site Administrator
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

fred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond repute
Just a quick Note

The leaves posted in this thread DO NOT have any sort of virus.

kmarch has a nice display of leaves here with congrats in order.
Old 05-23-2007, 08:16 AM
V.I.P Member

sandra is on a distinguished road
oooooooooooh so pretty
Old 05-23-2007, 07:18 PM
V.I.P Member

pikevi is just really nicepikevi is just really nicepikevi is just really nicepikevi is just really nicepikevi is just really nice
Very nice , Aniko!!!
Old 05-24-2007, 07:27 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Thanked 3,432 Times in 1,258 Posts
Bolero is on a distinguished road
I remember once hearing from a nursery grower that some years ago he bought paphs and some jewel orchids for their foliage. He didn't care if they flowered, he just loved the markings and colours of the leaves.

I don't remember who said that but I can see why.
Old 05-24-2007, 10:21 PM
V.I.P Member

If I remember correctly, kmarch said so too in another thread
Old 05-24-2007, 10:34 PM
V.I.P Member

Hoosier Orchids grows, breeds, and sells lots and lots of jewel orchids. One of the very first orchid shows I ever attended had a display by them that consisted entirely of orchids not in flower. It was all orchid leaves. I sometimes buy Paphs for their leaves but I've never grown jewel orchids.
Old 05-25-2007, 03:16 AM
Executive Senior Member

tom499 is a jewel in the roughtom499 is a jewel in the roughtom499 is a jewel in the rough
I used to have one when i first started growing orchids, it died after about a year, the whole stem just rotted through and fell off. there totally terristral but i kept it similiary to my others (not knowing much better at the time) it rotted probably because of too high humidity and overwatering. Never saw it in flower.
Old 06-25-2007, 06:51 AM
Executive Senior Member

BillC is on a distinguished road
I saw these and thought of of all the people who enjoy leaves . Bill

Photos courtesy of A J Calisi
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dossinia.jpg (88.0 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg alba.jpg (75.8 KB, 42 views)
Old 06-25-2007, 07:12 AM
Site Administrator

thanks for sharing them with us Bill

the leaves are very pretty
Old 06-25-2007, 08:36 AM
V.I.P Member

Oh Bill, thanks for posting these. Are you growing them? Jewel orchid leaves are nothing short of stunning. The fine, diamond-dust, glittery look is remarkable....words don't do them justice.
Old 06-25-2007, 09:11 AM
V.I.P Member

Thanked 2,835 Times in 1,280 Posts
Anton is a glorious beacon of lightAnton is a glorious beacon of lightAnton is a glorious beacon of lightAnton is a glorious beacon of lightAnton is a glorious beacon of lightAnton is a glorious beacon of light
Nature is amazing !
Old 07-11-2007, 03:56 PM
Executive Senior Member

BillC is on a distinguished road
Kevin, do you know of other Phal leaves showing forms of variagation? This is Phal. stuartiana and I like the way the leaf grows. I hope you don't mind me opening the thread again.

Bill
Attached Images
File Type: gif stuartiana.gif (37.9 KB, 36 views)
Old 09-12-2007, 07:14 PM
V.I.P Member

Bill I see you posted this about 2 months ago but I missed it somehow.

Both Phal schilleriana and Phal stuartiana have patterened leaves. These days verigated leaves are all the rage and becoming ever more common in the US although still quite rare here in Australia. Here's a pic of a verigated-leaf Phal that was recently awarded here by the AOC.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Phalamabalis3.jpg (67.9 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg Phalamabilis1.jpg (31.0 KB, 25 views)
Old 09-12-2007, 07:29 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

jay is on a distinguished road
Kevin,

I'm sorry, but aren't those phals not paphs.

jay
Old 09-12-2007, 07:31 PM

Gladys47 is on a distinguished road
K-March, I love those phal leaves! Never saw like that. Do they require just standard phal care? Reason I ask is I have really been wanting to get something different. But get a little confused about whether I can supply the proper atmosphere, Culture in my conditions. Don't have a green house. Just my g lassed in porch. I bring inside if it gets really cold. (rare)Any suggestions for a relative newbie. Just over a year.Gladys
Old 09-12-2007, 07:38 PM
Site Administrator

Jay
this is the post kevin was replying to
as you will notice the thread is on Leaves

Quote=BillC]Kevin, do you know of other Phal leaves showing forms of variagation? This is Phal. stuartiana and I like the way the leaf grows. I hope you don't mind me opening the thread again
Old 09-12-2007, 08:20 PM

Orchidflowerchild is on a distinguished road
Phal. philippinensis: http://www.phals.net/philippinense/06ph0316.jpg

Phal. schilleriana: http://www.orchidworks.com/orchids/pinkphal.htm

Phal. lindenii: http://www.phals.net/lindenii/05ph0058.jpg

-Cj
Old 09-12-2007, 08:37 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Fred,

I know that the post is about the leaves, I was confused about the pictures that were posted. He stated "Here's a pic of a verigated-leaf Paph that was recently awarded here by the AOC." and I thought that the variegated leaf plants in that picture looked like a phal. That is where I was confused.

jay
Old 09-12-2007, 08:47 PM
V.I.P Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay View Post
I'm sorry, but aren't those phals not paphs.
Anyone on the forum who knows me knows I have Paphs on the brain. I've corrected my post and am chuckling at myself. It must have been some sort of Freudian slip. I do have a Paph with verigated leaves though. i'll get around to posting some pics of it some day.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:49 PM
V.I.P Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gladys47 View Post
K-March, I love those phal leaves! Never saw like that. Do they require just standard phal care?
Yup verigated Phals require the same culture as regular Phals.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:50 PM
V.I.P Member

jay, I noticed that too. But I think it is a typing error.
Old 09-12-2007, 09:17 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

No worries Kevin,

I actually seem to have Paphs on the brain a lot lately too. Truth is, part of that is your fault. All of the incredible pictures of paphs you have posted in Orchids du Jour has really spiked my interest. (no pun intended)

thanks

jay
Old 05-30-2010, 01:09 PM
Executive Senior Member

PhalNewbie89 is on a distinguished road
That first pic is the reason I got a paph myself, and i just happened to enjoy the beautiful green of the flower too. :P They are realy beauties, but I will agree that some are very strange looking. hehe

I am way past the denial stage and just plain
ADDICTED!
Old 05-30-2010, 10:48 PM
Executive Senior Member

Phalcycle is on a distinguished road
very pretty.
They look like snake skin

Everyday is a gift, thats why we call it the present
Old 05-30-2010, 11:12 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Thanked 1,736 Times in 1,033 Posts
-k- is on a distinguished road
Pikevi: Yes very much so you took the words right from my mouth!
I completely agree and they look wonderful... Mottled leaves bring so much life to the living space when not in bloom...
The Following User Says Thank You to -k- For This Useful Post:
haoy (07-24-2010)