Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > Orchid Photo Gallery > Taking and Processing Photographs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2008, 05:06 PM
1buzz

How To Put The Name Of The Orchid on Picture

Not being well rounded in computer knowledge , It took me 12 hours to figure out how to put the name of the Orchid on the picture of the same Orchid through PhotoShop and I had a lot of help from several good Orchid folks.So in case anybody else ever wants to do this I put it all together.Bear in mind the info is for a Mac and PhotoShop 7 although I believe theinfo will apply to a PC and PhotoShop CS.So here it is:

Putting the Name of Your Orchid On Your Picture

1. Put whatever picture you wish to put in the OrchidGeeks forum, on your computer’s desk top.

2. Then drag it into Photoshop 7.

3. When the picture comes up, click on the T (text button in the middle of the “TOLL BOX”).

4. Adjust the font (I use Georgia), Click on Bold, then click on 72 pt, then click on sharp, then click on center text (middle), then click on color you want ( I think white comes out the best).

5. Then drag and make a rectangle of the size you want that’s big enough to cover the name of the orchid and put it where it will be visible away from the flowers – either top or bottom or on the side. Then type in the name of the Orchid inside the rectangle.

6. Hit the check mark  that is just left of “File Browser” and which name is “commit any current edits”.

7. Then go up to “file” and scroll down and hit “Save for Web”.

8. Wait for it to come up and then go to ”Image Size’ and click on it and under “New Size Width” change the number to 1024.

9. Then hit “apply”.

10. Then hit save for web.

11. Hit save when “save optimized as” comes up

12. After that your picture will come up and then hit “don’t save”.

13. The picture will then go to the desk top as an icon.

14. Now click on the icon and scroll down to Image Size and change the width from 1024 to 700 and then hit ok. (Make sure it is 1024 before changing it to 700).

15. Then close the picture and hit save.

16. Now you are ready to put the photo with its name into the OrchidGeeks forum.
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
cassier (12-11-2008)
Old 12-11-2008, 05:57 PM
Senior Member Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thanked 2,152 Times in 520 Posts
jim blanford is on a distinguished road
OK!!!! Where's the picture. After reading the post you could show the pic. Jim.

Old 12-11-2008, 06:30 PM
V.I.P Member

Thanked 5,451 Times in 3,014 Posts
kmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks for posting this ibuzz.

May I offer a technique that I believe is useful in making it super easy to edit mistakes afterward?

1) Open your image in Photoshop
2) Add a "layer" and put the name of the orchid using text on that layer only. Do this by clicking on the text tool (looks like the letter "T") in the tool bar.
3) Save this as your original, Photoshop document.
4) Save a copy as a jpeg, saving it in a size that is postable by the forum (or your website or your gallery or whatever) - you don't have to go through the extra step of resizing, you can export from Photoshop the size and resolution you need. - your instructions essentially say this same thing.

Now......if it ends up you have made a mistake in one of the names, all you need tot do is:

1) Open your original Photoshop document
2) Correct the text in the layer (you haven't rasterized the layers or converted the test into image or anythign like that so the text will be as easy to change as if it were in Word).
3) Repeat steps 3 & 4 above.

Using the layers feature and not rasterizing or flattening saves much time later if mistakes are made.
The Following User Says Thank You to kmarch For This Useful Post:
cassier (12-11-2008)
Old 12-11-2008, 07:01 PM
1buzz

Orchid Picture With Name

OK Jim here is the picture of this enormous Orchid with its name on it (Oncidium Bllra. Euro Star). Also thanks kmarch for your info. I can't wait to try your way but it took me so long to figure it out going my way that I am looking foward to your easier way.
DSCF1999.jpg
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
cassier (12-11-2008)
Old 12-11-2008, 07:22 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Thanked 1,954 Times in 1,166 Posts
patticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of light
Nice! I size mine through photoshop, but it took my son a good amount of time to get me to that point! I started to red these tips, and my head started to hurt! I'm quite computer challenged!! Maybe I can have my son come over and help me. Or I can go nameless!!!
Old 12-11-2008, 07:33 PM
Member Photobucket

kninum is on a distinguished road
the basic windows paint can also be used to add text, it's very simple ( just click on the "T" click on where you want it and type.....it's not as pretty (thou you can change the font) and can be a little bit difficult to move the text once it's been placed but for those who do not have photoshop it is a nice option.......ALWAYS SAVE as a copy ( ie change file name) that way you have your original for furture use

Great picture!

i LOVE photoshop.....i don't know how to use everyting yet...but i am fairly decent.....if i get the chance i will make some animations with it this weekend.... and maybe share how to make them too.......

Last edited by kninum; 12-11-2008 at 07:38 PM.
Old 12-11-2008, 08:05 PM
V.I.P Member

kmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1buzz View Post
(Oncidium Bllra. Euro Star). Also thanks kmarch for your info.
You're welcome buzz! And my shortcuts may well come in handy fairly soon because you've made a couple of mistakes in the name of your orchid. The "Oncidium" part should not be there and Eurostar is one word. Also recent changes in the generic names of some species of the Oncidium Alliance have resulted in quite a number of hybrid generic name changes as well. This is one of the plants affected by those name changes. It should simply read: Goodaleara Eurostar.
Old 12-11-2008, 11:49 PM
Junior Member Photobucket

LouisW is on a distinguished road
Its always nice to put the full name like Kevin said. That way people who dont know what the abbiviation stands for can read the genus name. some of the bi and tri genus hybrids have complex names and in an educational setting like this forum the whole name would really help. Thanks guys.
Old 12-11-2008, 11:57 PM
1buzz

Who Is Kevin?

Who is Kevin ?
Old 12-12-2008, 12:18 AM

LouisW is on a distinguished road
That would be Kmarch. I guess I am taking the liberty of calling him that. I hope thats Ok.
Old 12-12-2008, 12:42 AM
V.I.P Member

Quote:
Who is Kevin ?
I am!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisW View Post
That would be Kmarch. I guess I am taking the liberty of calling him that. I hope thats Ok.
It's quite ok. No worries.
Old 12-12-2008, 02:23 AM
Executive Senior Member

Thanked 1,168 Times in 489 Posts
amersault is on a distinguished road
Open Source alternatives to Photoshop...

and for those who do not have access to Photoshop (or refuse to use it, hehe), as mentioned, there is Microsoft paint.

or for the Open Source Kids out there:

* Seashore (MAC - Paint clone)
* GIMP (MAC/PC/LINUX)

the last 2 are free to download & GIMP is as good as if not better than Photoshop.

same image/text layer principles apply.
grandmapenguin (12-12-2008)
Old 12-12-2008, 03:46 PM
1buzz

Name On Picture Of Orchid By GIMP

Thanks to our member Amersault , I was able to download GIMP on to my computer
which is free software that does everthing that Photoshop does but without the costs
to purchase. She was so helpful in helping me make several adjustments on the
GIMP and the words I put on the picture turned out pretty good.I left off the name
of the attached Orchid for fear of getting clobbered by others for not having the
proper name on it.

May-2007-219-copy.jpg

Last edited by 1buzz; 12-12-2008 at 04:35 PM.
Old 12-12-2008, 03:58 PM

dr_frnkblck is on a distinguished road
Psssttt!!! Not to correct you again but Amersault's of the female persuasion.
Old 12-12-2008, 08:08 PM
V.I.P Member

Quote:
I left off the name of the attached Orchid for fear of getting clobbered by others for not having the proper name on it.
We don't mean to "clobber" we mean to teach and inform. I hope you don't feel that any name correction, at least any that come from me, comes with criticism or harshness. I correct members' plant names (and my own) because I believe it is helpful and important to know the proper names.

Eventhough a few have referred to me as the "nomenclature police" even I have been corrected on occasion regarding orchid names. I'm happy to be corrected because I would much rather be wrong for a moment and be corrected than to go for months and years being wrong and giving out wrong info and ending up looking silly or worse yet, confusing someone.

So it's all meant to be good with everyone both teaching eachother and learning form eachother.
The Following User Says Thank You to kmarch For This Useful Post:
grandmapenguin (12-12-2008)
Old 12-12-2008, 09:35 PM
Executive Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_frnkblck View Post
Psssttt!!! Not to correct you again but Amersault's of the female persuasion.
LOL - thanks, Doc, for clarifying

1buzz - glad to see it worked out and you're open to solutions other than Photoshop your image came out great, so well done, indeed! do you recall what orchid this is? is it a Dendrobium species?

don't worry about making mistakes - it's how we all learn. nobody means to 'clobber' it's just 'correction' and it serves to make us all better.

Last edited by amersault; 12-12-2008 at 09:38 PM.
Old 12-13-2008, 04:43 AM
1buzz

Name Of The Orchid

Hi Guys & Girls:

Yes I'm pretty sure that the above Orchid is in the Cattleya alliance and with further "Named" Schomburgkia thomsoniana var minor What's neat is it's the National flower of the Cayman Islands. More here:

Cayman Wildlife Connection

Be sure to check out the cute story by one of the kids on Cayman Brac about this Orchid.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
amersault (12-15-2008), mgfree (12-14-2008)
Old 12-13-2008, 04:39 PM

Wendy is on a distinguished road
Good post. My camera came with its own photo program and it is very easy to use. The program is by Fuji Finepix. I can add names, resize, adjust contrast etc, etc. I was quite happy as I am VERY computer challenged.
Old 12-14-2008, 06:52 PM

NicC is on a distinguished road
Kmarch,
I suspect Photoshop puts the text changes in a separate layer by itself. I found such recently when I discovered the orchid name was wrong.
Certainly, your way of opening a discrete layer makes it all the easier.
Nick
Old 12-14-2008, 06:57 PM
Site Administrator
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thanked 3,229 Times in 1,356 Posts
fred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond repute
Nick you are right with that and also with the move tool you can move the Text to anywhere on the photo

Edit] I must thank my Teacher Anton as well with using photoshop
Old 12-14-2008, 07:27 PM
V.I.P Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicC View Post
Kmarch,
I suspect Photoshop puts the text changes in a separate layer by itself. I found such recently when I discovered the orchid name was wrong.
Certainly, your way of opening a discrete layer makes it all the easier.
Nick
You're right Nick, even if you don't add a discrete layer Photoshop still treats elements as if they are layered all within one layer. The reason I find discrete layers particularly helpful is because you can change one layer without any risk to other layers.
Old 12-15-2008, 01:37 PM
Executive Senior Member

Quote:
Hi Guys & Girls:

Yes I'm pretty sure that the above Orchid is in the Cattleya alliance and with further "Named" Schomburgkia thomsoniana var minor What's neat is it's the National flower of the Cayman Islands. More here:

Cayman Wildlife Connection

Be sure to check out the cute story by one of the kids on Cayman Brac about this Orchid.
thanks for the link - have been enjoying the images of the flora and fauna