Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > Orchid Photo Gallery > Taking and Processing Photographs

Like Tree20Likes
  • 1 Post By PhalPal
  • 1 Post By Tobi
  • 1 Post By mayres
  • 1 Post By Anton
  • 1 Post By patlee
  • 1 Post By Anton
  • 1 Post By mayres
  • 1 Post By chefatplay
  • 1 Post By Anton
  • 1 Post By pikevi
  • 1 Post By PhalPal
  • 1 Post By mayres
  • 1 Post By PhalPal
  • 1 Post By Anton
  • 1 Post By pikevi
  • 1 Post By PhalPal
  • 1 Post By pikevi
  • 1 Post By PhalPal
  • 1 Post By koshki
  • 1 Post By koshki

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2007, 03:59 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

PhalPal is a jewel in the roughPhalPal is a jewel in the roughPhalPal is a jewel in the roughPhalPal is a jewel in the rough
Unhappy Help with posting pics PLEASE!!!!

OKAY, there MUST be an easier way to post pictures then the method I am using. It takes me 5-6 minutes per picture.

I am going to 'Manage Attachments', browse to the picture(s) I want and then put a shortcut on my desktop. From here I use photoshop to hopefully get them to a size suitable for posting; it is not always possible with all the pics I want to downsize. Back to 'Manage Attachments', browse to the pictures on my desktop, upload and hopefully they will fit.

THERE MUST BE AN EASIER WAY!!!!!!!

I do not know how all of you are getting pics in with your text versus as a thumbnail. I am pretty computer literate and my husband is an engineer but this is the only way we can get it to work. He's big on firewalls; could this have something to do with my troubles? I would love to post more pics; HELP!!!!
dahlia likes this.
Old 10-02-2007, 04:18 PM
V.I.P Member

Tobi is just fantasticTobi is just fantasticTobi is just fantastic
PhalPal,
I use Dave's link on how to post. I haven't been using the thumbnails.

http://www.orchidgeeks.com/forum/orc...post-them.html
dahlia likes this.
Old 10-02-2007, 05:19 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Thanked 3,205 Times in 1,285 Posts
mayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of light
There are lots of ways to accomplish your wish - here is what I do.
I assume you have a photo editor of some kind that resizes pics? I think I have 3-4 of them on my pc, but currently am using PaintShop Pro XI. All digitial cameras also come with one. Microsoft Office has a Photo Editor. Even Windows Vista can do some editing. Lots and lots of other options too. Anyway - in the menu you should have an option for each photo that you open for editing that says "resizing". I find 800X600 works well (or something similar). After resizing I "save as" the same name as the original except add a suffix "a" to the end - this tells me that it is the saved smaller version of the pic for quickly going through posting or placing in emails and such later. I keep the larger version available for printing or other editing purposes at a later date.
If you want thumbnails you just select the paperclip and upload the "a" version. If you want the larger photos (also the "a" version) in your posts then you first upload to a repository like photobucket.com (which I use and find a good place) and then when you select the mountain icon you insert the http address where your pic is stored for attachment purposes (within photobuckst or other).
With a little practice you will have it down pat in no time! Looking forward to LOTS of pics......... mike
dahlia likes this.

Last edited by mayres; 10-02-2007 at 05:21 PM. Reason: Add sentence 2X
Old 10-02-2007, 06:14 PM
V.I.P Member

Thanked 2,832 Times in 1,278 Posts
Anton is a glorious beacon of lightAnton is a glorious beacon of lightAnton is a glorious beacon of lightAnton is a glorious beacon of lightAnton is a glorious beacon of lightAnton is a glorious beacon of light
PhalPlal do you know about Actions in Photoshop ?

Basically you set up an Action, and name it Geeks for example, and record it to resize your images to 900 pixels, longest dimension and to Save for Web.

Have a specific folder where you drop your raw images into after you have renamed them from the number the camera inprints, to a descriptive title for the forum. You then create a second folder for your images to be saved to.

I have two folders on my computers both at home and work, one called Raw, one called Manipulated for this purpose residing in a mother folder named Geeks Stuff.

You then point the Actions to the Raw folder and tell it to save in the Manipulated folder, then you point the Manage Attachments to the Manipulated Folder and Bob's you Uncle.

This sounds long and complicated, but it takes a lot of words to describe what is basically a simple procedure.

The longest part is setting up the Action, from there on it is plain sailing.

If you don't know about Actions PM me and I'll help you with screen shots, once you know about Actions you'll use them for all sorts of things.

I use them at work to manipulate up to 200 images at a time for our teaching slides. It probably takes Photoshop 10 minutes to do what I would have to spend a week doing manually.

As mentioned, the only tricky bit is setting the original Action up.
dahlia likes this.
Old 10-02-2007, 06:16 PM
Executive Senior Member

patlee is on a distinguished road
Hi PhalPal, Bless you for asking the question I needed an answer to!! This is the first forum I have ever joined and I am still trying to find my way around. You have perfect timing--I use a computer at work all day, but I never learned more than Word, Access and Excel.So thanks for your post...
dahlia likes this.
Old 10-02-2007, 06:24 PM
V.I.P Member

Anton is a glorious beacon of lightAnton is a glorious beacon of lightAnton is a glorious beacon of lightAnton is a glorious beacon of lightAnton is a glorious beacon of lightAnton is a glorious beacon of light
I think for the people that don't have a photo editor you should look at the Lite version of Photoshop called PHOTOSHOP ELEMENTS. This will give you a basic version, but which still does a lot.

Most of you won't ever need the full capabilities of Photoshop and this is a good alternative.
dahlia likes this.
Old 10-02-2007, 07:00 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

mayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of light
IMHO - Adobe Photoshop (which costs hundreds of dollars) is for the purists who want only the best available. Corel Paintshop Pro or the new Paint Shop Pro Photo X2 is a cheaper alternative that will work for 95% of users or the Adobe Elements Anton noted. Nearly all digital cameras now days come with basic editing software that is included with the price of the camera that will easily handle 75% of users without having to purchase anything. Also as I noted earlier, their is a host of free and low cost editing software available on the web. The underlying question is "what do you want to accomplish"? With that said you can pursue the software which meets those needs.
dahlia likes this.
Old 10-02-2007, 08:55 PM
Senior Member Photobucket

chefatplay is just fantasticchefatplay is just fantasticchefatplay is just fantastic

Still doing homework. Had to try the 800x600 Anton suggested, resized it in my photo editor, HP 7160 photocopier editor included with copier. I then went to orchid photo gallery, browsed, found it, uploaded it there, copied the bbimage code once it uploaded and pasted it here. Not too bad....
dahlia likes this.

Last edited by chefatplay; 10-02-2007 at 08:57 PM. Reason: put in whole address, duhhhhhhhh!!!
Old 10-02-2007, 09:16 PM
V.I.P Member

Maybe I should start charging for my services.

Either I am an excellent teacher, or I have brilliant students......

I know which one I prefer.
dahlia likes this.
Old 10-02-2007, 10:12 PM
V.I.P Member

pikevi is just really nicepikevi is just really nicepikevi is just really nicepikevi is just really nicepikevi is just really nice
Anton: You missed the obvious and the third possibility!

*** An excellent teacher and brilliant students ***

Awesome combination
dahlia likes this.
Old 10-02-2007, 11:29 PM

Jenna is on a distinguished road
I have only skimmed this thread but I think I might have the easiest solution of all. That is, just for posting pictures within threads. I don't know the process of uploading pictures to the Orchid Picture Gallery though.

Anyhow..

Photobucket.com

All you do is upload them to your account there and the photo is automatically resized to a desirable message board size, 640 x 480.

After it is uploaded, all you do is click on the appropriate URL you need. For this board, you'd use the URL with the [IMG] tags at the begining and end and insert that straight into any post you make. Or you could just copy the regular URL and use this board's IMG insertion button (the yellow square with the mountain and the UFO in the sky).

With the exception of getting my pictures off my camera, it takes all of 45 seconds to upload and post my pictures.

I hope that or any of the other suggestions help!

Last edited by Jenna; 10-02-2007 at 11:31 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jenna For This Useful Post:
dahlia (07-15-2018)
Old 10-03-2007, 12:51 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

PhalPal is a jewel in the roughPhalPal is a jewel in the roughPhalPal is a jewel in the roughPhalPal is a jewel in the rough
Thanks so, so much everyone!!! I will play this weekend and see what programs I have that were mentioned above. I think some of the problem may be that we need a new camera; the digital we have now is about 4 years old which is ancient in the tech world. Sounds like a good enough excuse to get a new camera, doesn't it???

THANKS again - pictures of new mini-phals to follow. (my first species! Yeah!)
dahlia likes this.
Old 10-03-2007, 02:42 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

The age of the camera all depends on what you are trying to accomplish. I am still using a digital camera at work that I purchased in 1999! It was a $1000 camera at the time which I thought I got a good deal on for $850. An equivalent today would probably be $150. However, in spite of this - even though it is only a 3 megapixel camera - it still takes GREAT pics for the use for which it was intended. Good macros and it has a hot shoe on the top for adding supplemental flash - something that the majority of new point and shoot cameras do not have. Look forward to seeing those new pics of your mini phals. I have a couple (unfortunately noids) myself that are sure nice. mike
dahlia likes this.
Old 10-03-2007, 08:55 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Every time we go shopping for something new in the tech world I feel like the village idiot. I dread getting a new cell phone every two years! Technology changes so fast I just can't keep up and it's a whole new learning curve after only a few years. Our camera is working just okay. I was thinking what may be far superior now is the editing program that comes with a new camera. My husband is the picture taker (and techy) between us and he has been hinting about getting a new toy anyway.
dahlia likes this.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:47 PM
V.I.P Member

Go for it !

Take the chance while it presents itself.

I gave my wife one for her birthday today, boy has that earned me positive Brownie Points.

A camera, that is.
dahlia likes this.
Old 10-04-2007, 05:24 AM
V.I.P Member

pikevi is just really nicepikevi is just really nicepikevi is just really nicepikevi is just really nicepikevi is just really nice
I don't think any one can cope with the advances in technology. My cell. phone has features that I have never used. I have not even used its camera feature. And many of my conversations on the cell. last less than 2 mins.,if that.

All my PCs ( I assemble my own PCs) have components that can probably send the shuttle into space( okay , a bit of exaggeration, lol) but I have not used even a third of its capability. Occasionally I use the TV feature: that is it

I think some of us are just happy and content to know that we have the capability, whether or not we use it
dahlia likes this.
Old 10-04-2007, 01:52 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

A trivial bit of information but interesting none the less. Shows us just how much technology has advanced. The Apollo space mission that landed men on the Moon had far, far less computer power then a new car built today. The Apollo mission had ROOMS of computers at NASA assisting in the mission, where today we have a few little microchips doing thousands of jobs in a fraction of a second.

My husband's cousin (Dan Barry) was a shuttle astronaut and walked in space four times! He was also on the show 'Survivor' after retirement. Now he at home in Conneticut building robots in his garage. What a fascinating guy!!
dahlia likes this.

Last edited by PhalPal; 10-04-2007 at 01:55 PM.
Old 10-04-2007, 11:08 PM
V.I.P Member

So true, Phalpal. Sometimes when I think about what they did back in the late 60's is 'scary'. Computer technology was in its infancy yet it was put to the ultimate test: ALL OR NONE.

You are lucky to have someone that close who is an astronaut! I love space and astronomy and I wish I had gone into engineering

Doctors have been astronauts as well. Our own Roberta Bonder (neurologist-astronaut) is a doctor
dahlia likes this.
Old 10-05-2007, 12:56 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Pikevi my husband is an electrical engineer and very interested in astronomy as well. Dan Barry's (our astronaut cousin) resume is incredible. He is a Medical Doctor, has a doctorate in Geology and a variety of other 'minor' diplomas. Besides all that, he is the nicest guy you would ever want to meet, and a great Dad. Very humble, not arrogant at all. We saw the shuttle land at Edwards Air Force Base many years ago when it was forced to land in California due to weather and we had enough warning to drive the three hours out to the desert. Dan wasn't on that mission, but it was fascinating!
dahlia likes this.
Old 10-05-2007, 01:18 PM

parrot parent is on a distinguished road
There is a much easier way. When you hit "reply," a box comes up with all of these icons above it. Click the paperclip icon, right next to the white smiley face. Then attach your photos. Be sure they are farily small though or the system won't accept them. I go down to 800 X 600, or close to it. You can do that by editing your pics with your computer's software if you have it, ot go to photobucket.com.

Does this help?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to parrot parent For This Useful Post:
dahlia (07-15-2018), gingerhill (08-03-2014), paulh (03-03-2009)
Old 10-05-2007, 01:23 PM

parrot parent is on a distinguished road
Whoops. I didn't read very well. My answer has already been posted, and it seem you're well on your way with pics no matter what your method. Excellent.
Old 10-05-2007, 10:30 PM
V.I.P Member

PhalPal: Thanks.

I have never watched an reality shows and thus had missed Dan barry on survivor.

I did check his resume and is very impressive!. I could not remember his name since theer are so many now.

They indeed are very special!
Old 10-06-2007, 07:43 AM

cupcake is on a distinguished road
No 1 son is in London next weekend meeting Buzz Aldrin and a load of astronauts that have walked on the moon. (allegedly) For £300 you have a days seminar and an evening meal with them. Judi
Old 10-07-2007, 01:54 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Pikevi I just looked at Dan's resume and didn't realize he was an Electrical Engineeer! My husband was in his freshman year at Cornell when Dan was in his senior year there, both in the EE program. I've only met the man twice at family reunions in Conneticut and the topic is always, of course, space.

Just a hunch that you are in the medical field somehow?? Interested because you mentioned that you wish you had gone into engineering. I once worked with an Anesthesiologist who was an engineer and then returned to go to medical school.
Old 10-09-2007, 05:45 AM
V.I.P Member

I think it is fully worth it, cupcake. Buzz Aldrin went off the track for a while and is back. I am not sure about the 'dinner' ( I hope they are not RTSs ) but the seminar would be fascinating.

PhalPal: Cornell is an excellent univ. for research. Yea, some like different fields of study. A friend of mine is an MD,FRCS and LL.B in the UK
Old 10-09-2007, 05:48 AM

Tess1 is on a distinguished road
I just upload from my piccie file and the resizing is done here, lol.
Old 11-20-2007, 08:34 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

I thought I would bump this thread because I learned a great deal from all of your suggestions.

Anton - I didn't have your version of Photoshop and therefore never found the 'Actions' button. You put a lot of effort into your instructions and it did not go unappreciated. I am certain someone with a more advanced program will find it very helpful. We have a new computer and the software that came with it is Photoshop Elements. I created step-by-step instructions to downsize and share photos using this program. I will type them in for everyone to refer to after Thanksgiving. (aahhhh! already???)

Photobucket.com is great!!! I found it very user friendly and the easiest way (in my opinion) to upload large pictures into text. I will type in these directions as well.

Mike you are so right about the 3 megapixel camera taking great pictures. My husband is now looking at a 7 megapixel Canon that is 1/4 the price of what we paid for our 3 megapixel three years ago. The age of the camera didn't make a difference in uploading pictures; I was just hoping the program that comes with the newer cameras would be more streamline.

Thanks again for all your help. You have made sharing pictures a joy instead of something that takes an hour. I know there are many ways of doing this, and we all don't have the same equipment to work with. I'm hoping my itemized instructions to come will be helpful to some of you.
Old 11-23-2007, 09:40 AM
Newbie Photobucket

KenFL is on a distinguished road
My Pictures 0638
Old 11-23-2007, 10:49 AM
V.I.P Member

Here is where the Actions reside in Photoshop, see whether it is available in Elements.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Actions.jpg (65.9 KB, 21 views)
Old 11-27-2007, 06:34 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Thanks for the picture Anton. I have no "Actions." In fact, all of my drop downs were different from yours. I just have the very basic program of Photoshop but it is doing okay for my photo experience level. Thanks again!
Old 11-27-2007, 06:47 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Okay, as promised, here is what worked for me with the computer and programs that came with it when purchased earlier this year. Below are two ways to post pics, step-by-step. I used Photoshop Elements and Photobucket.com. I don't mean to be too simplistic but just in case someone has never done anything like this before I wanted to make it as easy as possible.

How to post a thumbnail to Orchidgeeks.com using Photoshop Elements:

To open Photoshop: Go to 'Start' (lower left hand corner of your screen) Scroll to 'All Programs' - 'Adobe' - 'Photoshop Elements' - 'Adobe Photoshop Elements'. You can also create a short cut to your desktop and avoid these steps.

Find 'Browser' tab on top of screen. Browse to the folder you have your picture stored and click on it. (if you are not comfortable browsing in this way, save your picture to your desktop before beginning this process and you will always know where to find your pic)

Click on the picture.

Go to 'File' tab and scroll down to 'Save as'. I use the name jpg gave the picture and add an 'A' to the end of it. This way I know which pic was altered.

Go to 'Image' tab on top of screen. Scroll down to 'resize' - 'Image size' Change resolution of phote to 600 X800. Save again. You are finished resizing your picture and it will now be easy to share it. You can now click out of Photoshop and access it again through orchidgeeks.com.

Go to Orchidgeeks site.

Select thread you would like to post your picture on.
Click 'Go Advanced' under text box.

Scroll down a few inches and click 'Manage Attachments'

'Browse' to where you stored your picture; either Photoshop, desktop, folder. this decision is totally up to you.

Select picture you wish to post, select 'Upload' and wait for copy of picture to transfer.

Write whatever text you want in the blank box. Submit Reply.

Your picture will now appear as a thumbnail under your text. You can double-click on it to see a bigger version.

Below is one method of posting a LARGE picture that will appear within your text. The below instructions are using Photobucket.com.

Go to Photobucket.com. The site is free; sign on. "Upload' pictures from PC - Browser - find picture - click on it - upload picture. It is very easy to re-size photos also. Here is their tutorial on how to upload an image if you need more help: Photo and Video Hosting - Make a Photo Album Online - Free Image and Video Upload: Photobucket.com

Below each picture wil be several choices. You want the 'Direct Link' address. You can copy this by clicking on the WORDS 'direct link.'

Go back to OrchidGeeks. At the top of the text box there is an icon that looks like an envelope with a small mountain on it, click on it.

Some firewalls will ask you to 'Allow transfer'. This appears as a pale yellow bar across the top of the page; it is not real obvious so look for it. Click 'Enable.' (or similiar phrase)

Click on 'Mountain' icon again.

At the top of the left side of page will appear a small box "Explorer User prompt.' Click inside this box and paste URL (hold down ctrl button and letter 'V') Click OK. You are finished!!!

I will be testing this to make sure I have not forgotten a step. If you find an omission or mistake please let me know and I will change it! -Connie

Last edited by PhalPal; 11-28-2007 at 04:17 PM.
Old 01-14-2010, 05:56 PM
V.I.P. Member Photobucket

Thanked 1,530 Times in 1,044 Posts
koshki is on a distinguished road

I thought I'd bump this thread to ask: how do you folks seem to be able to attach thumbnails, and separate them in your posting with text?

I can't seem to figure out how to go this, although, obviously, I have learned how to add thumbnails.

Old 01-14-2010, 07:41 PM

Irene is on a distinguished road
What I do:

Resize my photo, using my own software, to 800x600

Then click attachments (paper clip icon you see above when posting).

Then browse, pick the pics I want to post, click upload.

Then go back to attachments (paper clip) and click it. You will see your pics listed there. You can attach them to your post by clicking them one by one or can attach all (option on the bottom of the list)

You can then go back and add text between the attachment

Let me know if that doesn't make sense
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Irene For This Useful Post:
dahlia (07-15-2018), koshki (01-14-2010), PhalPal (01-14-2010)
Old 01-14-2010, 07:46 PM

Bc. Little Stars x Maikai Hawaii.jpgThank you! I knew it must be something simple!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bc. Little Stars x Maikai Hawaii 2.jpg (96.4 KB, 2 views)
dahlia likes this.

The Following User Says Thank You to koshki For This Useful Post:
Irene (01-14-2010)
Old 01-14-2010, 07:46 PM

Ok, well, that didn't turn out how I expected, but I think I have the idea now! Thank you!!!
dahlia likes this.

Old 07-14-2018, 11:03 PM

dahlia is on a distinguished road
so sad

This is way above my pay grade....I've got an ancient Cannon camera and haven't a clue about resizing, etc.
so sad...i've got a Phal who went down hill like an avalanche and just wanted to get some input as to what the heck might have happened; probably can't save her, but do want to prevent it from happening to the other seven in my care.
oh well...