Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > Orchid Photo Gallery > Taking and Processing Photographs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2009, 07:24 AM

Azzadazza is on a distinguished road
Barringtons, new Sarcochilus falcatus

Just been orchid sighting in the barrington tops np for some flowering sarks. did not get them in flower but some budding, bit to early ment to flower in june. found some nice ones though and thought i would share photos
Thanks Azz
Attached Images
File Type: jpg den. barrington 3.jpg (76.2 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg den. barrington 2.jpg (78.4 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg den. barrington.jpg (64.7 KB, 21 views)
Old 06-06-2009, 07:49 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thanked 1,954 Times in 1,166 Posts
patticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of light
Really nice! I love photos taken in the wild...beautiful!
Old 06-06-2009, 08:02 AM
Site Administrator
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thanked 3,229 Times in 1,356 Posts
fred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond repute
I agree with Patti
its really awesome to see orchids growing in the wild we are so blessed to still see this
thank you for sharing with us

I do have one or two Sarcochilus in spike at the moment
Old 06-06-2009, 12:06 PM
Super Moderator Photobucket

brookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of light
Very nice! Are you planning on getting pics when they bloom? We would love to see it!
Old 06-06-2009, 07:40 PM
Executive Senior Member

Andrew is on a distinguished road
I envy you in being so close to that area. There was a dispute over the expansion of ruby mining at Barrington tops a couple of years ago. Do you know if those plans have been completely scrapped or is the mining company still trying to get approval?
Old 06-07-2009, 06:28 AM

thanks all for the support, i will post some pics when i go back to find them in flower.

Andrew, i was a bit confused when i heard about the ruby mine acouple of years ago as i thought they were garnetts up there??? but i dont think they have the go ahead yet and the area would be in the state forest side of the tops so most orchids should be safe. glad the pics were not to boring
Old 06-07-2009, 08:10 AM
Site Administrator
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

fred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond repute
settle down pictures of orchids are never boring

lets hope the mining company never gets the go ahead

good thing you don't have what we have in the state its call 'Gunns'
we have lost alot of our native orchids thanks to logging in the state at the moment the state forests are safe if Gunns build the new proposed pulp mill none of us know what will happen.
more native orchids will go wild native animals will go the trees will be gone and the tourist wont bother to come here anymore

sorry for rambling these native orchid should and need to be protected at all costs
Old 06-07-2009, 08:56 AM
Executive Senior Member

Andrew is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzadazza View Post
but i dont think they have the go ahead yet and the area would be in the state forest side of the tops so most orchids should be safe.
One of the complaints I was hearing was the effect the mining operation would have on the water table which in turn would effect the wetland areas within the park
Old 06-08-2009, 02:00 AM

thanks Fred and andy, yeah not good news about logging... they do that n the state park around barrington as well, its never good. i was going to get a permit to go through all the areas that are going to be logged and mined and remove any orchid to a better home for consivation. but thats only a thought atm.

i was not sure where to post these pics eather so let me know if there is a better place in the forum, thanks Azz
Old 06-08-2009, 02:34 AM

mgfree is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred View Post
settle down good thing you don't have what we have in the state its call 'Gunns'
we have lost alot of our native orchids thanks to logging in the state at the moment the state forests are safe if Gunns build the new proposed pulp mill none of us know what will happen.
more native orchids will go wild native animals will go the trees will be gone and the tourist wont bother to come here anymore

sorry for rambling these native orchid should and need to be protected at all costs
Here here!

Fred what's going on in Tassie is ridiculous!

They used to do it up here a long time ago. Thankfully all the good timber is in World Heritage listed national parks and the state forests consist of planted pine trees. The logging tracks are now used as bushwalking tracks but there is still the old stumps of what would have been some pretty amazing trees as a reminder.

I can't believe Tassie's old growth forests with some of the oldest trees on earth are NOT world heritage listed and protected.
Old 06-08-2009, 05:35 AM
Site Administrator

some of the old growth forest is heritage listed what we are all worried about is if they build this new pulp mill in Bell Bay they are talking about taking some of the old forest as well.

so really Gunns and Tasmanian State Forestry are working together
all because of the mighty dollar.

the forestry is meant to be working with the parks and wild life that if forestry find orchids in the wild forestry is meant to contact the parks and wild life and the parks and wild life will fence off a 30 meter square around the orchids to save them but with doing this means it upsets the workings of Gunns and Forestry
so sooner or later we will not have anymore native orchids in the wild for people to enjoy
nor will we have the native animals many people come to see.

the Tas Government needs to step up to the plate and save our state before its too late

sorry rambling again
Old 06-08-2009, 05:41 AM
Member Photobucket

hulaorchid is on a distinguished road
Sometimes I Hate progress or is it selfish money ventures?? Hope they put a stop to the distruction!

As much as I love to have plants and animals, they are so amazing in the wild!!!
Old 06-08-2009, 05:50 AM
Site Administrator

I agree Jacqui two years ago I went for a drive to look at some native orchids in bloom and I had a ball
I never took my camera sadly anyway last summer I went to the same spot to see the chids in bloom and guess what there was nothing left except bare land
hulaorchid (06-08-2009)
Old 06-09-2009, 02:50 AM

thats very sad fred, i know of sme orchids around here that are a bit to close to walking paths and camping zones. over the years i have seen them getting smaller and smaller and now alot are all taken. i feel like relocating them.

i think we all better go to tazzie and check it out before it is lost, didnt p.garrett say there will be no pulp mill in tazzie and then after elected he changed his mind and went with what the party wanted?
Old 06-09-2009, 06:04 AM
Site Administrator

Garrett was against the pulp mill but he has different ideas now
so far the final plans have not been approved
most of the people in Tassie are against the pulp mill
we have two pulp mills here now I never paid much attention but when I started to look for sphagnum moss years ago I have seen with my own eyes the damage the loggers do
miles upon miles just nothing except dirt
the only way to save the native orchids is to halt the logging
will that happen, I don't think so, to many jobs will be lost so they say.
I have to ask what is more important the state's, Animals and Plants or a few job losses

the proposed new pulp mill will do more harm than good
Old 06-10-2009, 07:07 AM

well said fred, let us know if anyone can do anything to help with your fight.