Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > Suggestions, Feedback > Suggestions, Feedback and Questions

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By sofiaee
  • 1 Post By katrina
  • 2 Post By katrina
  • 1 Post By JungleMel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2013, 04:41 AM

sofiaee is on a distinguished road
Threads being removed?

Hey guys! I really really enjoy this forum and spend waaay too much time going through the topics. Sometimes though, threads that I've been keeping up with will now re-direct to the main page? At first I thought the OP must have deleted the thread but it's happened so often that I'm not so sure. For the most part these are not old threads either. For instance this hybrid orchid thread that I saved to my bookmarks (can't post it because I haven't made 5 posts yet though)

Just a bit confused! Thanks for any help or explanations.
pikkumyy likes this.
Old 07-08-2013, 06:18 AM
Administrator
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thanked 5,389 Times in 3,096 Posts
katrina is on a distinguished road
We don't delete threads....unless it's just spam. We do occasionally move threads if they are posted in the wrong forum... but that doesn't happen often and i don't think you'd experience your described issues if it were just moved. Would it be possible for you to direct me to one of the threads?
fred likes this.
fred (07-08-2013)
Old 07-08-2013, 06:22 AM
Site Administrator
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thanked 3,229 Times in 1,356 Posts
fred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond repute
you can post you can not upload photos you need five posts to post photos
the forum has been doing updates
try to subscribe to the threads you are following
Old 07-09-2013, 02:52 AM

Hi it said I needed 5 posts to post a link so I'll post in the next one
Old 07-09-2013, 02:53 AM

Okay here is an example of a bookmark I had saved. This also happens sometimes when I'm googling things. The thread name will appear on google but when click it just redirects to the main forum.

Orchid Forum Orchid Care - Powered by vBulletin
Old 07-09-2013, 09:40 AM
Administrator

Unfortunately, since the link isn't going to a specific thread, I can't see what's happening. Like Fred said, it could just be that you saved things before the updates...maybe. ?? Not sure what to tell you as I haven't experienced it.

If you're interested in a thread but haven't commented on it then your best bet would be to "subscribe" to the thread this way you'll always be able to find it under "User CP" link...clicking on that will bring up all subscribed threads.

When you comment on a thread you are automatically subscribed and can find it via the same User CP link.

Hopefully that will help moving forward.
fred and sofiaee like this.
Old 07-09-2013, 03:55 PM

JungleMel is on a distinguished road
I've had this happen recently to a few of my bookmarks on another forum, I wouldn't be surprised if this is a similar issue. After proboards recently did their update, every post that was made before the update now just redirects to the main page if you try and use your browsers previously stored bookmarks for them. What you should do is copy and paste the name of the thread, or use the keywords and do a search for the thread again. It will come up with the search function and you can make new bookmarks from there. I know that's kind of a pain, especially if you had more than a few things saved, but you'll have them bookmarked again (at least until the next update, which is usually years in between.)
sofiaee likes this.

Last edited by JungleMel; 07-09-2013 at 04:01 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JungleMel For This Useful Post:
1joyceh (07-09-2013), slc (07-10-2013)
Old 07-10-2013, 01:19 AM

Ah okay that must be it. Thank you guys!
Old 07-10-2013, 09:26 PM
V.I.P Member
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thanked 1,278 Times in 798 Posts
pikkumyy is on a distinguished road
I've had this happen to me too today, I haven't been on the forum for a while, so I finally caught up on my backlog of emails of new comments, and whenever I'd press the link in the email to send me to the thread, it'd just take me to the front page.... I was so sad... LOL, and I can't link one of the link I was clicking in the emails because my stupid computer just emptied the trash... oh well

The minute you stop learning is the minute you stop living

My friends and family call it an obsession, i call it an interesting hobby

My Blog: my-patch-of-heaven.blogspot.com.au/
Old 07-11-2013, 12:37 AM
Super Moderator Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thanked 4,422 Times in 3,810 Posts
orchids4me is on a distinguished road
That is strange.... lately I've been getting redirected using Google when trying to click on orchidgeeks it sends me to some download and yesterdays was something about testosterone issues lol. So iI back out re click on orchid geeks and then it let's me on here so always have to try twice first is a re direct to else where... just thought weird wondered if anyone else has experienced this from googling orchid geeks to come on here. And this happens from my smart phone (DROID 4) so just seeing some others having this happen too. haven't used my PC to come on as I am usually not around it when I come on here.

Daisy 2003 -2013
Life is too short.... Buy more orchids!!!!

Emmaye
Old 07-11-2013, 08:04 AM
Administrator

Ok...I just did the Google search that Emm mentioned and...yep...that's odd. I sent Fred a PM so he can have the programmer look into this.
orchids4me (07-11-2013)
Old 07-11-2013, 08:08 AM
Super Moderator Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thanked 4,422 Times in 3,810 Posts
orchids4me is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by katrina View Post
Ok...I just did the Google search that Emm mentioned and...yep...that's odd. I sent Fred a PM so he can have the programmer look into this.
Thanks Kat,
was your search on a phone or a PC? As mine where all on the smart (dumb) phone ... be good to know if does on the PC also

Daisy 2003 -2013
Life is too short.... Buy more orchids!!!!

Emmaye
Old 07-11-2013, 08:16 AM
Administrator

PC. It kind of happened to me on my tablet the other day but I thought it was something I had done and then I got pulled away from the what I was doing and I just didn't give it another thought.

Fred will see the PM soon enough so I'm sure we'll get to the bottom of it before too long.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:12 AM

jayfar is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by orchids4me View Post
That is strange.... lately I've been getting redirected using Google when trying to click on orchidgeeks it sends me to some download and yesterdays was something about testosterone issues lol. So iI back out re click on orchid geeks and then it let's me on here so always have to try twice first is a re direct to else where... just thought weird wondered if anyone else has experienced this from googling orchid geeks to come on here. And this happens from my smart phone (DROID 4) so just seeing some others having this happen too. haven't used my PC to come on as I am usually not around it when I come on here.
Yep almost always that happens to me. I'm on an iMac with Safari. In fact to test I just googled this very thread by title and google's link took me to the following site:

FileStore72.info - Your File Hosting
Excerpt below:
Quote:
FileStore72.info - Your Free File Hosting
Home Contact Us Proceed next Privacy Rules
Resource is missing
File with specified ID not found. It may have been removed for breaking the rules.

Online Backup Solutions

What if a fire, flood, theft or any other disaster would destroy your lifetime work, your very important data base, all of your information? You must have some onsite backup solution, but what you really need is an online backup service that will help insure that the critical information is always available and secure.
We are living in times where data of any kind are at stake. Internet trespassing and theft has become an issue that endangers every site, with no importance to what it may contain. Although it may seem as having no importance it has been demonstrated that the so called hackers have made terrible disasters, to many business industries by braking into the most guarded data bases.

[snip]
If I then hit the back button and click the google result again it proceeds normally to the thread. This has been happening for at least several months.

Last edited by jayfar; 07-11-2013 at 10:18 AM.
Old 07-11-2013, 12:10 PM

slc is on a distinguished road
Quote:
That is strange.... lately I've been getting redirected ...
That has been happening for quite some time. Before I joined, when I was surfing for info on orchids, I would get redirected to a spam page when clicking any link for this forum. I usually visit this site from a Mac, since it's in the kitchen and I like orchids with my coffee in the morning, hahaha, but this morning I am using my Windows PC and got the redirect plus pop-ups. So annoying. It would be nice if this could be fixed.
Old 07-11-2013, 12:41 PM
Senior Member Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thanked 1,265 Times in 954 Posts
Fishmom is on a distinguished road
For what it's worth, I use a Macbook with Firefox, and a bookmark on my toolbar to get here each day. I've had no trouble with that system. But I just tried Googling and clicking on the Orchid Geeks Forum link, and sure enough, I was taken to the Filestore 72 location.
Old 07-11-2013, 06:52 PM
Site Administrator

Thanked 3,229 Times in 1,356 Posts
fred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond repute
Hi all thank you all very much
I have sent the site owner an email letting him know with a copy about google
I can not do much about the problem myself as its between the site owner and google
I clicked on those links myself and had a look as well thanks to you guys and the pm letting me know well done and thank you
we all know orchidgeeks should come up not that rubbish I hope its sorted soon
Old 07-12-2013, 08:28 AM

jayfar is on a distinguished road
Right, the issue is not at google. This is an exploit on the site, possibly some sort of php injection, that looks at the referrer of incoming requests and if it is google it then redirects to the rogue site.

If you do a google search for: search results diverted to myfilestore.com, a lot of interesting stuff comes up. Apparently there are several different possible avenues for this exploit to occur, in some cases a vulnerability in older versions of vbSEO, in some cases not.
Old 07-14-2013, 03:08 PM
Junior Member Photobucket

NeoOrchid is on a distinguished road
Re: possible click-jacking

Quote:
Hi-

This could be an old exploit called clickjacking whereby the maladroit literally "steals" your mouse click and forces you to another website. You can block this kind of thing by adjusting your Flash, Shockwave, and Adobe settings. Also, download and install NoScript for Firefox. I use script blockers on all of the browsers I use (the one I recommend is DuckDuckGo)

Cheers
Neo