Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > Suggestions, Feedback > Suggestions, Feedback and Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2008, 01:46 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

articuno75 is on a distinguished road
Regarding Advice

It has come to attention that on a couple of occasions advice as been given for some orchids in dire need of immediate attention and care.
Sound advice came from many, many members, yet it was completely ignored or completed to an extent.
The plants performances become worse and members in question want to know why.

Members~ When asking for advice, welcome all that give it. You don't have to follow anything and everything that is posted, but that is the reason why you posted to begin with was to get advice!

When asking for "How to" directions and you receive them, READ THEM THOROUGHLY. I've seen directions posted plain as day and still they were not followed correctly. If you don't understand, ask questions before starting! We are here to help!!!

The one thing that is very upsetting is to totally disregard sound advice and clear instructions or to do something that no one said to do and yet come back in a month wondering why a plant is not performing like it should or perhaps dying.

This forum is an educational tool with tons of information. As Fred has said many times before, the 3 Ls apply here.

*LOOK
*LISTEN
*LEARN

Do a search and yes, do ask questions. If necessessary, re-read threads. I know I do.

But please, follow instructions and read carefully.

All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed: in life that which is unnoticed has the most power.
The Following User Says Thank You to articuno75 For This Useful Post:
digitalgate (03-31-2009)
Old 11-27-2008, 03:40 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Thanked 1,245 Times in 759 Posts
solay is on a distinguished road
I know what your saying. I tend to want to read everything and rush through and miss a lot. Seems time is always short when it comes time to do the research and follow directions.
Old 11-27-2008, 04:46 AM
Site Administrator
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thanked 3,229 Times in 1,356 Posts
fred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond repute
solay
I can see what you are saying, Jenny's post is more directed at any Newbies that join "Geeks" ask a question for advice and after receiving good sound advice given by the more experienced orchidgeek's that advice is ignored and something totally different has been applied to the orchid putting the orchid under more and more stress in a short amount of time.
We are all here to share our Knowledge regarding orchids so we can help and Educate Newbies and help that person grow within with the right amount of Knowledge to keep the orchid in the best possible condition.
The advice we all give to each other is for alot reasons
Knowledge, Orchid's, Education,because we love to share our knowledge to help others understand how to keep orchids.

us "Geeks" love our orchids and we all what what is best for our orchids with providing the orchids with the Right Conditions and the right Culture to keep our "chids" in good health.
All of us "Geeks" love orchids and we love to help and we all care because we have a passion that passion is orchids
sharing our knowledge sharing our own orchids with each other to see all the wonderful healthy orchids in and out of bloom is great because of the passion we all care and we want to bring people to the wonderful world of orchids because we care.

with the use of the three L's
*LOOK
*LISTEN
*LEARN
applies each day with growing orchids a marvelous hobby I myself have been into orchids for a long time now and even i learn new things each day.
I don't disregard any advice that is given to me but I put the advice to work that works well for my own conditions
Listen to what is said, Look at how its done put that into practice that works for you and Learn from it
Old 11-27-2008, 06:41 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Thanked 3,967 Times in 1,720 Posts
Ron is on a distinguished road
Hi Jenny & Fred.
I totally agree with what you both have said.
One thing I always say to people when asking questions on growing orchids.
It works for me because I have done all the things that kills orchids and now I have learned (smile) how not to kill them.
very funny when people ask for advice and months later come back and tell me the plant has died etc.
I say "did you do as I said to "No, often is the reply". I thought I would do it my way.
Point is when asked for advice listen what is being said, have a very long think about it, if it sounds reasonable logical, do it.

I often tell people when asked why certain orchids die, well I say, one way to make sure they die is to water them every day even if it is raining, Sit them in a deep tray of water, feed the twice to recomended strengths of fertiliser every day, as if it is so good they will grow twice as fast. Keep them heavily shade and they will not get sunburnt etc.
They then say to me. You are mad , that will certinally kill them! Well I say, do not grow them that way then!
"WOW" better go before I get moderated out.
Good growing
Ron
Old 11-28-2008, 04:31 PM
Member Photobucket

11Orchid126 is on a distinguished road
The thing with newbies is, when they receive sound advice, they say no, no, that can't be right. My plant is suffering too much for the cause to be not enough sun, or too much water, or stagnant air or whatever. It just can't be that simple! There must be something drastically wrong. There must be a miracle fertlizer or planting medium or special growing secret out there that they're just not telling me about. So they disregard the information, when in actuallity is IS that simple.
Old 11-28-2008, 06:23 PM
Executive Senior Member

Hummer344 is on a distinguished road
On the other hand, "You can lead a horse to water, etc" comes to mind. some people just disregarde anything you tell them and go ahead with what "THEY" think is right. I see it in the rose garden all the time. We give classes on prunning every year and let them practice on our plants. Sometimes you wonder why they came if they weren't going to listen. & Still these people complain. ARRRRRGGGGGG LOL
Old 11-28-2008, 06:28 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Thanked 3,967 Times in 1,720 Posts
Ron is on a distinguished road
Regarding Advice!
I know it is very hard for "Newbees" starting out buying orchids that have been down prices because they are on there way to the graves, as disgards or el-cheepos at shops etc that are all ready in a bad way.
Best piece of advice is not to buy that unless you have the experience to get them going again.
Cymbidiums for example!
In the right climate they can be one of the easiest outdoor orchid to grow!
How many get killed (not die) each year from bad advice from unquallified shop assistance's etc.
After years of switching from one product to another I visited a profession Cymbidium nursery whom breed, deflasked and grew on his own Cymbidiums.
That day changed my life completely in the way I understood the basics of growing orchids.
Some of us may not be so lucky to be able to do this. BEST advice I can give is try, try until you get a chance and do not ask the smart question, ask all the dumb questions you can think of, that is the only way to learn. ( like ask, why do you do that etc)
Good Advice !!!
Cheerio
Ron
Old 11-28-2008, 06:50 PM
V.I.P Member

Thanked 2,835 Times in 1,280 Posts
Anton is a glorious beacon of lightAnton is a glorious beacon of lightAnton is a glorious beacon of lightAnton is a glorious beacon of lightAnton is a glorious beacon of lightAnton is a glorious beacon of light
My advice is DON'T BUY ORCHIDS YOU KNOW NOTHING ABOUT just because they look good, because, I am sorry to say, you will more than likely have wasted your money.

Start small and easy and through experience build yourself up to be able to handle the more tricky, exotic species.

Most of us who give advice have "been there, done that, bought the Tshirt, read the book 3 times, and watched the reruns".
What may sound bizzar advice is probably through the culmination of years of trial and error to end up with something that works.

So, I reiterate, L, L, L

Last edited by Anton; 11-28-2008 at 06:54 PM.
Old 11-28-2008, 07:20 PM
Senior Member Photobucket

chefatplay is just fantasticchefatplay is just fantasticchefatplay is just fantastic
As a one time newbie myself, I can't agree more with what the more experienced people have already said.

The only softening I might add here is, even though I read the advice I so greedily asked for here in the beginning, I didn't understand it even though I wanted to. It's been a couple of years and thankfully only less than 10 failures, to figure out what I have been told. Unfortunately, so many generalities are spoken of it does become confusing. What is bright indirect light, damp but not wet, let dry between waterings, don't let dry completely between waterings. What is dappled shade... These are all things we need to experiment with in our own environments to become capable.

We all lose plants, I know I have. I have had chids that should have held on to a bloom for months, but, I have only had them for a week, I have had plants that shouldn't survive that call me "Mom" to this day. Just don't give up.

As the real experts say, look, listen, learn. Don't be embaressed to try and fail, just to have never tried and blame someone else.

We are forever geeks.
lmartiny (11-29-2008)
Old 11-28-2008, 08:39 PM
Site Administrator
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

fred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond repute
well said Ellen
Old 11-28-2008, 09:08 PM
V.I.P Member

myorchid is on a distinguished road
I agree with all. I tried orchids many years ago because "they looked pretty" and I thought I could grow them. I did not know about this site then.

After killing all of them...waiting a few more years, decided I wanted to try orchids again.

I got books, read books and decided on the ones that would grow with my light, in my conditions. I found this site and now I am able to keep orchids alive, and feel that I have gained experience and can give advice if asked.

I am still learning and will continue to learn thanks to all the knowledgable and supportive people here.

Thanks to all.
Old 11-28-2008, 10:52 PM

Jilin AgricultChina is on a distinguished road
Simply stated experience is the best teacher, provided you learn from your mistakes and are willing to try, if you dont try you can't make mistakes and learn from them.

I am 49 years old and purchased my first orchid at age 9 and have been hooked ever since, no I have access to some of the worlds most rare species of orchids........Shhhhhhh...I still make mistakes there is no such things as exsperts we all make mistakes.
Old 11-28-2008, 11:32 PM
V.I.P Member

exasperatus2002 is on a distinguished road
I've worked customer service for most of my working life either in a petshop or in call centers. One thing I cant point out enough.... is to study before you buy. It killed me to sell someone a complete set up for something & watch them drop a few hundred dollars and see them skip out on the $10 book so they dont kill what they're eventually take home. Working in the call centers has taught me that most people in general only hear/see what they want and everything they dont want goes in one ear & out the other. They'll call for help but yet tell you your wrong and try it there way only to fail again. Always wanted to ask why they bothered wasting my time if they werent going to listen for the help they asked for when "they know better".

Dont tell my high school latin teacher this (sorry mrs knox) but all roads dont lead to rome. When it comes to orchids, some do & some dont. You can try different husbandry techniques and end up with the same results but theres some you can try & end up with compost. This is where research before you buy will help you. Ask for advise from experienced growers like we have here & read some books. Compare experiences & see who's conditions match yours better. Someone in Australia trying to set up a greenhouse wont have the same experience managing it as someone here in the northern states of the US.
Old 11-29-2008, 12:18 AM
Executive Senior Member

Hummer344 is on a distinguished road
One of the things we forget is: Orchids are now being sold as "easy to grow house plants" with no regards as to instructions on how to be maintained. People become hooked on them because many bloom for a very long time or are VERY pretty(the same reason we became hooked) The growers ads re-inforce that "easy to grow" mantra so the buyer thinks of them as pansy's or marigolds. When they die or don't rebloom, those same buyers become disenchanted and throw them out or, hopefully, turn to us for advise. WE have to direct those people on how to take care of their plants so the plants regain their health and bloom for them again.

So much for phyllyoffilysing. LOL
Old 11-29-2008, 12:43 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Thanked 4,721 Times in 2,020 Posts
lmartiny is on a distinguished road
Amen. And I appreciate the advice. I still have a few questions to throw out there. Just haven't yet. Either I feel I should have answered my questions (didn't completely) or just feel it's a dumb quetsion and I'm not searching enough first.
Old 11-29-2008, 12:45 AM
Site Administrator

David I agree with you

the hardest part is when we give advice to the best of our knowledge to help the person and also help the orchid in question.
Things are done to treat the orchid that has not even been mentioned in any posts in the thread seeking advice.

Going against all advice given.

In a recent thread 2 things were of concern that were done with the orchid that went totally against all advice given.

I can understand for newbies to orchids that all the advice can be hard to take in but if one is not sure ask the question again.

when it comes to orchids there are no dumb questions we all have to learn somewhere
Old 11-29-2008, 05:03 AM

Yiu Lin is on a distinguished road
The best thing is that this is a forum, so many people can read and learn from the advice all the expert geeks are giving.
While it may be frustrating to hear that some members are ignoring/ not following the recommendations given, rest assured that many more newbies (me included) are looking, listening and learning.
And we can also learn what happens when advice is not followed...

Having said all that, I just lost a noid phal today :-(
Don't think it was a problem linked to watering, because it was mounted on a branch. I think it is disease/ pest related.