Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > Suggestions, Feedback > Suggestions, Feedback and Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2010, 02:22 PM

frostychic is on a distinguished road
Posting photos on OrchidGeeks.com

Hi

I've got a photo posting question.

I have always posted photos from my computer rather than from PhotoBucket or Flickr or others... so my uploaded photos are the small ones that you have to click on to see larger.

At one time, I asked a similar question (when I first started posting here) about posting larger photos & the advice given was that the larger photos are from a photo hosting site such as those I named above.

So, finally... I have uploaded some of my chid photos to PhotoBucket & when I tried to upload them here I got the error message that they were too large... however, when I went & clicked on some other peoples posted photos & asked to see "properties" I see that many other uploaded-large photos on this site were:

1. Larger in byte size than mine.
2. Larger in pixel size than mine.
3. Larger in "L" X "W" of the photo...

So what gives

How does one post a larger photos than the thumbnails that you get when you upload from your own computer?

What am I doing wrong?

Inquiring minds need to know...
The Following User Says Thank You to frostychic For This Useful Post:
ysanabria (03-06-2010)
Old 01-25-2010, 02:46 PM
Administrator
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thanked 5,389 Times in 3,096 Posts
katrina is on a distinguished road
First of all...be sure you're posting the code of the picture directly into the response area rather and opening and using "manage attachments".

In Photobucket (I assume the same for any others)...run your cursor over the picture in your album...a drop down box will appear...choose the IMG code and copy/paste that code into the response box.

When you copy/paste it into your response space, you'll only see the code until you hit preview and/or submit.

I hope I explained that well. Any other questions...just ask.
fred (01-25-2010), frostychic (01-25-2010), maiseymoo (01-25-2010), ysanabria (03-06-2010)
Old 01-25-2010, 04:42 PM

uffe3667 is on a distinguished road
Hi frostychic;
What size image would you want to upload (pixels and "L" X "W").
And do you have any examples of these large sizes posted here on the forums.
I probably should be able to figure out from the code how they are uploaded.

Gr. Erik
The Following User Says Thank You to uffe3667 For This Useful Post:
frostychic (01-25-2010)
Old 01-25-2010, 08:05 PM
V.I.P Member
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thanked 5,451 Times in 3,014 Posts
kmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond repute
Lets back up a step. I think this is getting way more complicated than it needs to be.

Before getting on to how to imbed an image in your post (rather than attaching it) I should like to point out that one does not need an image hosting site like Photobucket or Flickr to hold the photo you want to imbed in your orchidgeeks post. Every registered member of this forum has, on their profile page, their own personal photo album. To find it, add an album and upload pictures:

1) Go to your profile page
2) Look on the right side of the page for a box titled "Album" You may need to scroll down depending on how big your browser window is.
3) At the bottom of that box click on "Show All Albums" This is your orchidgeeks photo album.
4) Look to the bottom left of the box titled "yourusername's Albums" (My box is titled "kmarch's Albums") and click on "Add Album."
5) Title your album, choose whether you want your album to be public or private, and click on "Submit."
6) You will now see a new box with the name of your album on it. If this is a new album you will also see the message, "Click here to upload pictures!" Click there to upload pictures.
7) The new window will have a white field with a "Browse" button next to it and an information box below it. The info box tells you how many pictures you can upload, and gives the size limit on pics (97.7 KB). It also tells you how big the pics have to be. I usually let the album resize the pic automatically and rarely have trouble with pics being too big. To uploiad a photo, click on the "Browse" button.
8) A finder window will open. In this window, navigate to the photo you wish to upload. The image should be stored on your computer somewhere. Once you find and select it, click on "Open." The path to the photo should appear in the white field. Then click on "Upload Pictures" at the bottom of the box. The time it takes to upload will vary depending on the size of the original and whether the image is being resixed or not.
9) Once the upload is complete you will see a box titled "Edit Pictures." This is where you can add a caption to your pic and select the pic that serves as the "cover" to your album. This box also contains a pop-up menu titled "Move to album:" which allows you to move the photo to any of your albums without deleting and re up-loading it. Once you have everything how you want it, click on "Save Changes." Your album is not done.

You can organize your albums however you want. Take a look at my albums for one example: http://www.orchidgeeks.com/forum/members/kmarch-3654/albums/

Now, on to the question of how to imbed an image you've put in your orchidgeeks photo album:
1) In your orchidgeeks album, find the pic you want to imbed.
2) Below the picture you will find a field titled, "BB Code." Copy the contents of this second field and paste it into the message you want to post. When you post your message, the image will appear in the post where you have copied the BB Code.

Simple as that. Here's an image imbedded in this post using the instructions I've just outlined above:
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to kmarch For This Useful Post:
berniep (01-26-2010), davetheorchidaddict (01-26-2010), dounoharm (03-05-2010), fred (01-25-2010), frostychic (01-25-2010), katrina (01-26-2010), NancyG (03-06-2010), parkkop (01-26-2010), uffe3667 (01-26-2010), ysanabria (03-06-2010)
Old 01-25-2010, 08:19 PM
Site Administrator
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thanked 3,229 Times in 1,356 Posts
fred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond repute
thanks Kevin
I have just moved the thread to the "Suggestions, Feedback and Questions" section and made the thread "sticky"

thanks
frostychic (01-25-2010)
Old 01-25-2010, 10:27 PM
V.I.P Member

kmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond repute
I should also add that if you have a pic on another photo hosting site, you can imbed that pic in an orchidgeeks post by copying the URL of the picture itself (not the Photobucked or Flickr page it is on, but the actual URL of the pic itself) and pasting it in the post between these "markers":

[IMG] [/IMG]

So it sould look like this: [IMG]URL of your pic[/IMG]
The Following User Says Thank You to kmarch For This Useful Post:
ysanabria (03-06-2010)
Old 01-26-2010, 01:17 AM

Thank you for all the help!

First off... I see that the first problem is that I've been trying to past the URL for the photo using the "manage attachments" button rather than embedding them on a message.

Secondly... I would really rather not use a photo hosting site ... mostly because I just would rather have them on my computer. Seems like a waste of time to put them on a photo hosting site, but maybe someday I'll see a reason that I should be doing it thata way. Meanwhile, I like em on my 'puter... heheeheee

So, tomorrow I'll re-read kmarch's advice & instructions with regards to an album. I started an album when I first came here, but have actually forgotten about it (shame on me) so I should go & re-aquaint myself

Thanks again
Old 01-26-2010, 06:28 AM
Site Administrator

fred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond repute
an image host is not all that bad really the photos uploaded still stay on your computer
with the image host like photobucket once you are logged in you will see

"More Upload Options" ( click )
Resize my images to:Basic dimensions Upgrade to pro dimensions
Tiny ( 100 x 75 ) 1280 x 960
Small ( 160 x 120 ) 1600 x 1200
Medium ( 320 x 240 ) 2048 x 1536
Large ( 640 x 480 ) 2592 x 1944
15" screen ( 800 x 600 ) 3648 x 2736
17" screen ( 1024 x 768 ) 4000 x 3000
1 megabyte file size 2 megabyte file size

click the size you want

click save then upload you photos to the to image host

just some more information
Old 01-26-2010, 06:47 PM

uffe3667 is on a distinguished road
frostychic;
Whatever way you are going to use your pictures. you will have to get them on a website anyway for other people to see them.
Uploading to your orchid geek album or photobucket, flickr, etc does not mean they are no longer on your own computer. It just means you put a copy of your picture on that site. And since that site is on the Internet ( basically a bunch of computers running websites and therefore are always online) you can link to that using the bb code supplied by the orchid geeks album as explained by kmarch or a site like photobucket or flickr.
So what happens when someone looks at your post is that the orchid geek website will "read" the code you entered like [IMG]the url (like www w.flickr.com/something/picture.jpg [/IMG] ,go to that website, get the picture, and display that image in stead of the code. So the person looking at your post will not see the code, but the picture the orchid geeks website took from the photo hosting website.
So do not worry about keeping the pics on your own computer, you will only put a copy on the world wide web so you can show it to the world.

Gr. Erik
Old 01-26-2010, 07:10 PM
V.I.P Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostychic View Post
...I would really rather not use a photo hosting site ... mostly because I just would rather have them on my computer. ...
If you don't want to house your pics in your orchidgeeks album or on another hosting site, then the only option you have available to post pics in an orchidgeeks post is through attachments.

I should have clarified in my tutorial that there are only two ways to post pics:
1) as an attachment - they'll appear at the bottom of your post, or
2) to imbed the pic - it'll appear in the body of the text where you insert it.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:43 PM

Irene is on a distinguished road
Another way is to go ahead and upload your pic through the attachment manager. Then, while in the manager, right click the 'current attachment', copy it, then past it in your post. After pasting, add [img] to the front and [/img] to the end.

In the below pic I get this when I copy and paste (minus the spaces) :
http : // www .orchidgeeks.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=31052&stc=1&d=12645527 36

I add the img
[img ]http://www.orchidgeeks.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=31052&stc=1&d=12645527 36[/img ]

and get this:

eta: I change my image size to 800x600 before I upload to the site.

eta2: oops I see I copied kmarch
Attached Thumbnails
100_0263.jpg  

Last edited by Irene; 01-26-2010 at 08:49 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Irene For This Useful Post:
Julez (03-06-2010)
Old 02-24-2010, 04:56 PM

I just wanted to say THANK YOU to everyone that posted advice. It took me several days to find the time to do the steps but what a huge reward!!!

I have started a couple of new albums here on this forum and used those to post photos recently... I love posting them this way!

Plus, I'm guessing that I can share the Album URL or the Photo URL's with people in emails or other forums... if so that's

So thank you, thank you, thank you...

Phal. type Dendrobium, 'Baby Pink' ~ Feb. 2010
The Following User Says Thank You to frostychic For This Useful Post:
Julez (03-06-2010)
Old 02-24-2010, 07:39 PM
Super Moderator Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thanked 5,877 Times in 2,961 Posts
syndywindy is on a distinguished road
Just trying this out as I have never imbedded a photo before.

Life is Good Today! Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you will die tomorrow.

Synda
The Following User Says Thank You to syndywindy For This Useful Post:
Julez (03-06-2010)
Old 03-05-2010, 07:38 PM
Junior Member Photobucket

Thanked 3,074 Times in 552 Posts
ysanabria is on a distinguished road
The Following User Says Thank You to ysanabria For This Useful Post:
Julez (03-06-2010)
Old 03-05-2010, 07:40 PM

Yuppiiiieeeee!!! I did it!!!

Thank you!!!

It's a limit on how many pictures can you have in the albums?
It seems that after you have 100 pics, you can not upload anymore?

Thanks
Old 03-05-2010, 08:27 PM
V.I.P Member

Yes there is a limit to the number of pics you can upload into your geeks photo album.
ysanabria (03-15-2010)
Old 03-06-2010, 01:27 AM
Executive Senior Member

Hummer344 is on a distinguished road
posting photos

let me try this! I have always uploaded from my computer. Always something new to learn
The Following User Says Thank You to Hummer344 For This Useful Post:
fred (03-06-2010)
Old 03-06-2010, 06:30 AM
Site Administrator

ahhh s beautiful sight for saw eyes David
thanks
Old 03-09-2010, 10:50 PM

Picasa Web Albums - 10336156787466990... - Feb. 2010
Old 03-09-2010, 10:55 PM

[img ]http://picasaweb.google.com/103361567874669909865/Feb2010#5446771539914225442[/img ]
Old 03-09-2010, 10:58 PM

When I tried with the cpy and paste from my orchidgeek album it worked. But now I'm trying from picasa and I cant do it. The pic does not appear just the link.
What I'm doing wrong?
For some reason I cant upload pics in my albums I always get upload failed?
Help!!
Thank you
Old 03-10-2010, 04:32 PM

Old 03-10-2010, 06:23 PM
V.I.P Member

It looks like you've figured it out, yes?
ysanabria (03-15-2010)
Old 03-15-2010, 07:46 AM

Yes!! I did!! Thank youuuuuuu