Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > Suggestions, Feedback > Suggestions, Feedback and Questions

Like Tree47Likes
  • 5 Post By katrina
  • 3 Post By TheBlazingAugust
  • 8 Post By fred
  • 2 Post By Ron
  • 3 Post By fred
  • 1 Post By Andrew
  • 1 Post By Daethen
  • 3 Post By lmartiny
  • 1 Post By Bolero
  • 1 Post By fred
  • 3 Post By E-Jag
  • 1 Post By maria1971
  • 4 Post By syndywindy
  • 2 Post By JungleMel
  • 3 Post By Smurfette
  • 2 Post By empress
  • 4 Post By PaulB

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2012, 02:04 PM

Venessa is on a distinguished road
Orchid forums

Hi peeps

I would like to know what the difference is between your forum and the one on Orchidboard.com

Venessa
Old 07-22-2012, 03:22 PM
Administrator
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thanked 5,389 Times in 3,096 Posts
katrina is on a distinguished road
Owned by different people...different format...some different functions I think...maybe even some different rules. It's just another orchid forum...there are quite a few out there. Of course, none are as good as Geeks.

Some Geeks are also members on OB...and visa versa.
fred, JungleMel, 1joyceh and 2 others like this.
Old 07-22-2012, 04:08 PM

TheBlazingAugust is on a distinguished road
I am a member of several different forums, and I would say I have been a member of most of them for long enough to notice some differences. I will give my honest opinion here, so it is not propoganda for either forum. I find Orchid Board is a place that a lot of new people first go to with their orchid troubles. There are a lot of members who have been there a long time who are willing to answer all the questions thrown at them, and there is a very light mood about the forum. There is also several members there who are experts in specific fields. Here, at Orchid Geeks, there is a very close friendship between many of the members, a friendliness that is easily felt. I find that there is a more intermediate skill across the board here, as there aren't too many that are absolutely new, although everyone here is still willing to help anyone. There are also several people with high expertise in their field here, too! (Brooke and your drop dead gorgeos Phals, and Shannara with your Encyclia, to name just two!)
Daethen, rlilia and empress like this.

Orchids in a Closet ~ A detailed journal of my orchid endeavours.

~Cody Hamilton~

Last edited by TheBlazingAugust; 07-22-2012 at 04:11 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheBlazingAugust For This Useful Post:
Shannara (07-23-2012)
Old 07-22-2012, 04:19 PM

SK7 is on a distinguished road
I've noticed a fair amount of cross posting. Double the replies, double the fun.
Old 07-22-2012, 04:56 PM

Paul Mc is on a distinguished road
Seems about the same to me, but perhaps more posters from just U.S. here?
Old 07-22-2012, 04:56 PM

Let me restate that, from the Americas.
Old 07-22-2012, 06:29 PM
Site Administrator
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thanked 3,229 Times in 1,356 Posts
fred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond repute
orchidgeeks is a wonderful place for all to learn and share the members here are a fantastic bunch I know this first hand even when real life steps in and a tragedy happens who are the people that give support "geeks"

we do have our own experts here as well with heaps of skill and knowledge

here on geeks we do not allow any advertising at all no even for orchidboard the same goes for any links in a members signature. if a geek has his or her own link lets say photobucket that is fine to be placed in a members signature any other links is seen as spam and will be deleted.

orchidgeeks is a stand alone orchid forum owned by a great friend of mine in America
Dave gave me the chance a few years to make the forum what it is today and may I say I am pretty proud of the forum and all of the geeks plus I find the staff do a fantastic job.

none of us like to be hassled I like to think we all come here to share and learn and have a great time along the way

the terms and conditions on geeks are very easy to go by if a member finds that the terms and conditions are not acceptable well one might conceder moving one I also find if there are any problems on geeks that a member is able to feel free to talk to one of the staff members so we can help

I know what your thinking "oh yeah he is admin he will say geeks is the best" we are a very close nit bunch I for one am proud of my fellow geeks... you guys and gals Rock
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to fred For This Useful Post:
1joyceh (07-23-2012), katrina (07-23-2012), orchids4me (07-24-2012), PaulB (08-04-2012)
Old 07-22-2012, 06:42 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thanked 3,967 Times in 1,720 Posts
Ron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I know what your thinking "oh yeah he is admin he will say geeks is the best" we are a very close nit bunch I for one am proud of my fellow geeks... you guys and gals Rock
Tops Fred, much more friendlier and helpful
fred and orchids4me like this.

My friend Missy
Good growing, Ron
Old 07-22-2012, 06:54 PM
Site Administrator

fred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond repute
I agree with you there Ron and thank you my friend

I really love all the geeks why well some geeks know my wife passed away a month ago, the support I received and the beautiful flowers I got from the wonderful caring "geeks"is awesome

sure I could name names but I would like to thank you all from the bottom of my heart

thats what makes geeks so special in the time of need the care and support is awesome

that is just one example I thought I would like to share with you all
orchids4me, BGGraham1 and PaulB like this.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fred For This Useful Post:
katrina (07-24-2012), PaulB (08-04-2012), Venessa (07-23-2012)
Old 07-22-2012, 07:08 PM

I respect the T&A, and I hope I don't get in trouble for this, but why is it always so taboo to mention another orchid forum? Knowing how vast the internet is and how fast information travels, it isn't like everyone here isn't aware of the other forums, as it was already stated that many people here are members of other forums. I actually think the number of people that stick to one forum is dwindling fast as time goes on. Now in saying this, I love this place, but I just want to get an honest answer to a simple question.

~Cody Hamilton~
Old 07-22-2012, 08:33 PM
Executive Senior Member

Andrew is on a distinguished road
Like Cody, I read a lot of orchid forums including OB and of course OG. Fred and Marty have both produced good forums. I find the general content and level of expertise is about the same on both forums. OB has a higher traffic load which has its good and bad points. The format-wise, OB has a sub-forum for everything which makes sorting through posts easier but for day-to-day reading through posts, I find OG is more user friendly. OG is more tightly moderated. It's also more successful at keeping out spam. Both forums are friendly and neither forum is at all cliquey but OGers definitely appear more close-knit.
JungleMel likes this.
Old 07-22-2012, 10:05 PM
V.I.P Member

Thanked 1,053 Times in 876 Posts
Daethen is on a distinguished road
I have to agree. I belong to 3 orchid forums. This is the one that I feel is the most open and friendly. In my personal opinion, Geeks are the best. Very easy going and willing to help.
PaulB likes this.

don't sweat the small stuff and in the end it's all small stuff
Old 07-22-2012, 11:05 PM
Banned

rlilia is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daethen View Post
I have to agree. I belong to 3 orchid forums. This is the one that I feel is the most open and friendly. In my personal opinion, Geeks are the best. Very easy going and willing to help.
As a relatively new member, I stick with this one while "driving through" others....
Besides obvious expertise in orchids culture and members' willingness to help out, I like that we share on other subjects as well including pets, other plants and tips and approaches, e.g. cloning machines, plants mounting, etc, etc.

My only wish, as I mentioned before, would be to perhaps have a "better" system/approach for locating archived information, that is that I wouldn't have to sort through 500 records that the Search engine produces. A few members agreed with me recently that if we had separate sections for different types of Orchids, e.g. Phals vs. Catts - this would be helpful and more efficient way of doing it....

These are minor things and I'm totally in love with the forum!
Lilia

Last edited by rlilia; 07-22-2012 at 11:09 PM.
Old 07-23-2012, 12:15 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Thanked 4,721 Times in 2,020 Posts
lmartiny is on a distinguished road
Nice to see you on Fred. I signed up for the other forum (mainly to see the dirt that flung when members got banned) (09?) Human nature and all that. I was new to this forum stuff. I went there a few times but haven't in quite a while. I like geeks. I don't really go many other places. Shoot, I don't have time. And talking to you guys is enough for me.
fred, JungleMel and rlilia like this.
Old 07-23-2012, 02:28 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Thanked 3,432 Times in 1,258 Posts
Bolero is on a distinguished road
Great forum here. I am a member of many of the forums and am comfortable here.

There is nothing stopping you from being a member of several and you may find you will settle in one place. I like diversity and certainly this is one of the better forums you will find around.
fred likes this.
Old 07-23-2012, 06:51 AM
Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlazingAugust View Post
I respect the T&A, and I hope I don't get in trouble for this, but why is it always so taboo to mention another orchid forum? Knowing how vast the internet is and how fast information travels, it isn't like everyone here isn't aware of the other forums, as it was already stated that many people here are members of other forums. I actually think the number of people that stick to one forum is dwindling fast as time goes on. Now in saying this, I love this place, but I just want to get an honest answer to a simple question.
nah you wont get into any trouble well not yet anyway
we do not allow other orchid forums being posted as its seen as a free ad for the forum also its viewed as poaching geeks to the other forum.

unless I am advised other wise by the site owner I, we will continue to do what is expected of me to do. Geeks is a privately owned forum, myself and the site owner have a close bond I am trusted to do what I am asked to do
we all try to keep everyone happy
PaulB likes this.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fred For This Useful Post:
katrina (07-23-2012), orchids4me (07-24-2012), PaulB (08-04-2012)
Old 07-23-2012, 07:07 AM
V.I.P Member

Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,236 Posts
1joyceh is on a distinguished road
and you do that Fred...thank you
The Following User Says Thank You to 1joyceh For This Useful Post:
fred (07-23-2012)
Old 07-23-2012, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred View Post
nah you wont get into any trouble well not yet anyway
we do not allow other orchid forums being posted as its seen as a free ad for the forum also its viewed as poaching geeks to the other forum.

unless I am advised other wise by the site owner I, we will continue to do what is expected of me to do. Geeks is a privately owned forum, myself and the site owner have a close bond I am trusted to do what I am asked to do
we all try to keep everyone happy
Thank you for the honest answer!

~Cody Hamilton~
The Following User Says Thank You to TheBlazingAugust For This Useful Post:
fred (07-23-2012)
Old 07-23-2012, 01:26 PM

E-Jag is on a distinguished road
I find one of the biggest differences to be the number of posts/availability of information. This isn't meant to be critical, it's simply a fact. Today, for example, there are 4 new posts in the advanced discussion section of OB and 3 in the beginner section. Often that's it for the day. Here, there may be 40. I can sit here for hours, reading and participating. It takes about 5 minutes on OB. I can't participate because I don't belong. The people are definitely friendly and willing to help others with a problem. Between these 2 forums, if you can't find an answer perhaps you need a better question.
fred, JungleMel and 1joyceh like this.
Old 07-23-2012, 01:39 PM

Venessa is on a distinguished road
Thanks a bunch for your replies. I just got a bit confused because I know that I registered here, but somehow I also have a profile on the other forum. However, I cannot remember ever registering there. For one confusing moment I thought that the two forums were linked
Old 07-23-2012, 06:14 PM

maria1971 is on a distinguished road
I'm a member of the OB as well. To be honest, I feel that my personality fits more with the OB people; I don't feel I've really clicked here--I think there's definitely a cliquish feel to this forum, whereas the OB is more open. I find both forums equally informative.
TheBlazingAugust likes this.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:05 PM
Super Moderator Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thanked 5,877 Times in 2,961 Posts
syndywindy is on a distinguished road
I'm curious Maria. In what way do you find Geeks cliquish? I have seen many formed friendships between many geeks. I haven't seen so called cliques; I think everyone here is friendly with each other. True, some may have formed a closer bond than to others, but I don't see that as a clique. Sometimes it's geography that bonds people, sometimes it may be similar interests beyond orchids that bring some together. You can't always read into the written word, I do think some people are more willing( or maybe able is a better word) to put themselves out there where others can feel a bond or closeness to. But I wouldn't call that a clique.

Life is Good Today! Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you will die tomorrow.

Synda
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to syndywindy For This Useful Post:
1joyceh (07-23-2012), Brooke (07-24-2012), katrina (07-24-2012), orchids4me (07-24-2012), PaulB (08-04-2012)
Old 07-23-2012, 09:41 PM

As a member of both forums, and new here, I must say that the same thought crossed my mind. Bonds are formed at different items, and no one can predict that. It doesn't make one bad over the other. Since this forum is U.S. based , there is a smaller group, but it doesn't negate it in any way.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:49 PM

JungleMel is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by syndywindy View Post
I'm curious Maria. In what way do you find Geeks cliquish? I have seen many formed friendships between many geeks. I haven't seen so called cliques; I think everyone here is friendly with each other. True, some may have formed a closer bond than to others, but I don't see that as a clique. Sometimes it's geography that bonds people, sometimes it may be similar interests beyond orchids that bring some together. You can't ways read into the written word, I do think some people are more willing( or maybe able is a better word) to put themselves out there where others can feel a bond or closeness to. But I wouldn't call that a clique.
I can see why it may seem as if there are cliques here. I was a member of OB before I was a member here. Here, I saw posts all the time with people calling each other by their real names, posts about sharing orders, giving gifts, etc. I didn't see that so much over there. It seemed like the members here had been here for a while and already knew each other.

That being said, once I spent time here I realized that it wasn't cliques at all, but just really friendly and generous people that talked to each other beyond the posts on this board. Being younger than most people here (or so it seems?) I'm used to friendships being cliquey.

The majority of the reason I post here, and haven't posted over there in years(?) is because of the warmer atmosphere here. You can feel it right away, but maybe it just gets misinterpreted from time to time like I and maybe Maria have misinterpreted it.

The differences between the boards are huge in my opinion. There are beginners and experts on both boards, but there is more of both on OB because there are just more members there. However, my posts and my questions get answered faster and by more people despite the lesser amount of posters here. Here, I've had strangers offer to trade, share, or pick something up for me here and actually come through. Here, when I ask a "beginner" question, I don't feel like I am bothering people with it because multiple people answer, or post with suggestions even after questions get an answer. I don't always feel that on other boards. It's an important factor as every time you try a new genus, it feels like you're a beginner again with it.

This is the only forum I've felt welcome as a member without being a regular poster. So thank you Fred! I am clearly biased and I love you all.
PaulB and rlilia like this.

Last edited by JungleMel; 07-23-2012 at 11:01 PM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JungleMel For This Useful Post:
fred (07-24-2012), katrina (07-24-2012), orchids4me (07-24-2012), PaulB (08-04-2012), syndywindy (07-24-2012)
Old 07-24-2012, 02:31 AM

Smurfette is on a distinguished road
I don't think this site is clicky at all - I'm a newbie (10 days and counting) and I have only found polite, helpful people who are willing to share..... Maybe the clicky feeling is really just the new guy feeling??? (and I know I've spelt clicky wrong - too early in the morning to work out how to spell it when I have a three year old climbing on my head!!!). Thanks guys - I appreciate your help!!!
fred, PaulB and rlilia like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Smurfette For This Useful Post:
katrina (08-04-2012)
Old 07-24-2012, 03:52 AM

empress is on a distinguished road
I am member of both. Was... My computer freaked and I couldn't get back onto OB for some time and a Google search led me here.
MUCH more friendlier here. People are more willing to give and take away. I could have a post on the OB for days and maybe get 1 answer? Plus, this is a much more open forum so a hobbyist (such as myself) who may not always just want species or have a vivarium or a GH can still get info and answers.
I love it on Geeks. I do occasionally go back to OB to peruse. But here it is like home I don't feel like a complete dolt. Because! I can actually give suggestions and answers here, whereas on OB I am just trying to understand the terminology. ^^;;
syndywindy and PaulB like this.

Garden Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Journal Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Photography

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to empress For This Useful Post:
fred (07-26-2012), katrina (08-04-2012), PaulB (08-04-2012), syndywindy (07-24-2012)
Old 08-04-2012, 11:44 AM
Executive Senior Member

PaulB is on a distinguished road
I've been to a few of the other sites, but to be honest, didn't hang around long enough to see what the people are like.
That being said, If I felt that Orchid Geeks was cliquish in any way, I wouldn't be on. Had enough of that in high school.

What makes this site special is that there is a sincere warmth overall. Yeah, sometimes we wake up on the wrong side of the bed occasionally, but overall, even the people who have been around a long time don't appear to think that they have their name in the Hall of Fame, just because they have a bunch of blinking stars next to their name. There's always someone who's willing to help a newbie step by step to get their "first orchid" growing on the right track. Look around in the INTRODUCTIONS section. Newbies are very thankful and even seem surprised that they are welcomed so genuinely.

That's what this site is about. With the Internet, you can get any kind of info on anything anytime, but genuine friendship, lending of help and expertise, encouragement and yes, a lot of fun is what brings people together from all over the world to Orchid Geeks. No one has to wave a banner or carry a sign saying "Peace Now!" It's here already and it's contagious...

my 2
fred, sunshine, jayfar and 1 others like this.

Last edited by PaulB; 08-04-2012 at 11:57 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PaulB For This Useful Post:
1joyceh (08-05-2012), katrina (08-04-2012)