Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > Suggestions, Feedback > Suggestions, Feedback and Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2012, 09:03 PM
V.I.P. Member Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thanked 1,530 Times in 1,044 Posts
koshki is on a distinguished road
Zuleyha, I'm sorry that you were infected too. May I ask...were you infected by the SmartFortress2012 was well? Or was it something different?

Getting an antivirus warning is one thing...actually getting infected is something entirely different. And not fun.

Old 03-04-2012, 10:59 PM
V.I.P Member

Thanked 2,835 Times in 1,280 Posts
Anton is a glorious beacon of lightAnton is a glorious beacon of lightAnton is a glorious beacon of lightAnton is a glorious beacon of lightAnton is a glorious beacon of lightAnton is a glorious beacon of light
STILL getting those Malaware Warnings, a proverbial pain in the butt !!!!!!

What do these morons get out of hitting a site like this ?

Must have very low self esteem if this gives them a thrill, they'd be better off getting their rocks off hitting commercial sites which offer a bit more of a challenge.

I know what I would like to do with these lowlifes, but the trouble is, there's a law against it !!!!!!
Old 03-05-2012, 09:57 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Thanked 3,967 Times in 1,720 Posts
Ron is on a distinguished road
Safe Browsing
Diagnostic page for Orchid Forum Orchid Care - Powered by vBulletin

What is the current listing status for Orchid Forum Orchid Care - Powered by vBulletin

Site is listed as suspicious - visiting this website may harm your computer.

Part of this site was listed for suspicious activity 1 time(s) over the past 90 days.

What happened when Google visited this site?

Of the 279 pages we tested on the site over the past 90 days, 5 page(s) resulted in malicious software being downloaded and installed without user consent. The last time Google visited this site was on 2012-03-04, and the last time suspicious content was found on this site was on 2012-02-28.

Malicious software includes 5 trojan(s). Successful infection resulted in an average of 6 new process(es) on the target machine.

Malicious software is hosted on 6 domain(s), including acle.osa.pl/, ainsblog.osa.pl/, rstorange.info/.

5 domain(s) appear to be functioning as intermediaries for distributing malware to visitors of this site, including pictures-host.in/, discount12-promo.in/, directmarketingmanage.in/.

This site was hosted on 1 network(s) including AS46664 (VOLUMEDRIVE).

Has this site acted as an intermediary resulting in further distribution of malware?

Over the past 90 days, Orchid Forum Orchid Care - Powered by vBulletin did not appear to function as an intermediary for the infection of any sites.

Has this site hosted malware?

No, this site has not hosted malicious software over the past 90 days.

How did this happen?

In some cases, third parties can add malicious code to legitimate sites, which would cause us to show the warning message.

Still coming up on my computer by my anti-virus program

Next steps:

Return to the previous page.
If you are the owner of this website, you can request a review of your site using Google Webmaster Tools. More information about the review process is available in Google's Webmaster Help Centre.

My friend Missy
Good growing, Ron
Old 03-05-2012, 02:47 PM

teh_Kibbster is on a distinguished road
I've had this going on for a week now every time I visit. I just ignore it, but it is pretty annoying to be directed away every time. It says its an attack site and I say its not...

Thankfully, I run Linux. By geeks, for geeks. No viruses for meeeee!
1 Paph. Delophyllum
1 Paph. Raisin Pie 'Cheif' x Wood Wonder 'Another Winner'
1 Onc. Jungle Monarch
1 Burrageara Nelly Isler 'Swiss Beauty'

My Ontario collection
2 Cym. [Mighty Sunset 'Floricultura' x Ed Gates 'Evening Star'] 'Carpinteria Sunrise'
1 Phal. NOID
Old 03-05-2012, 04:55 PM
Executive Senior Member

Emma Grey is on a distinguished road
I cleared my history, cookies, and temp files and the warning is gone on my computer. Just an idea.
Old 03-05-2012, 05:46 PM
Senior Member Photobucket

Thanked 1,265 Times in 954 Posts
Fishmom is on a distinguished road
Since about 11:00 this a.m. the warning has been gone on Firefox and Safari, for me. Here's hoping the issue has really been solved this time. I had cleared everything I could find to clear earlier, so I don't think that is actually what did the trick, but you never know.
Old 03-06-2012, 03:30 AM
Super Moderator Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thanked 4,422 Times in 3,810 Posts
orchids4me is on a distinguished road
I am also hopeing this is behind us.
Hopefully fred will chime in with any updates on this situaton soon.
Thanks everyone for hanging in here.

Daisy 2003 -2013
Life is too short.... Buy more orchids!!!!

Emmaye
Old 03-06-2012, 08:01 AM
Executive Senior Member

Thanked 1,512 Times in 743 Posts
Ray is on a distinguished road
Still getting it on Chrome.

The comment that "some anti virus products are better than others" can be misconstrued. Don't forget that some are better at preventing attacks too, and that some tell you they did it, while others just do it in the background.

I am disappointed that the operators of this forum don't seem to be responding to an obvious issue, much as they haven't when it comes to the "security token" issues when marking forums read.

Catch you on other forums until this is fixed.

Last edited by Ray; 03-06-2012 at 08:04 AM.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:59 AM
V.I.P Member

exasperatus2002 is on a distinguished road
I use avg at work & at home. I hadnt been on in a long time. Tried at work. the program said it blocked something nasty. I was afraid my it guy was going to hang me. He gets very cranky when he has to do something.
Old 03-06-2012, 02:39 PM

Mamarazzi is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanessa View Post
Just got the attack page warning when I went through Firefox. When I went through internet explorer, I didn't get the attack page warning. I did use Google on both of them.
My future bro in law is a techie genius. I have Mozilla at home, so he recommended that I come in through Internet Explorer, which works just fine.

I'll see what he says now...

Lisa
Old 03-06-2012, 04:06 PM
Senior Member Photobucket

Thanked 1,265 Times in 954 Posts
Fishmom is on a distinguished road
The warning is back on both Firefox and Safari. This is ridiculous.
Old 03-06-2012, 04:34 PM
Site Administrator
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thanked 3,229 Times in 1,356 Posts
fred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond repute
Hi Geeks
I have re sent all the relevant information to the site owner I have been contacted just an hour ago the programmer is back onto the problem again
I am sorry for the inconvenience I will be updated when the problem is sorted I will inform you as well
many thanks
Fred
Fishmom (03-07-2012)
Old 03-06-2012, 09:36 PM
Executive Senior Member

hera is on a distinguished road
Thanks Fred. Keep at it.
Old 03-08-2012, 06:37 AM

funktified is on a distinguished road
Just in case if anyone for any reason wanted to know, Infections are a real PAIN in the ...! I have to deal with them everyday and no matter how prudent you are, there is always a risk of being infected.

Prevention is better than Cure
Well, this is hard to say, although I can try to help.. although this targets mainly Microsoft Windows Users.

IF ANYTHING shows up saying that you are infected and PRESS something to remove it or other pay for something.. THAT IS the infection.. DO NO CLICK ON ANYTHING IN THAT BOX

DO NOT CLICK ON ANYTHING TO REMOVE THE INFECTION
AGAIN DO NOT CLICK ON ANYTHING TO REMOVE THE INFECTION
AND AGAIN DO NOT CLICK ON ANYTHING TO REMOVE THE INFECTION

Best solution is - press the following buttons:

ALT and F4

ALT can be easily found bottom left near the space bar and CTRL
F4 can be found on the top row usually in groups of 4

If your not sure, just press the POWER button until your system shuts down.

WHY?
Most infections now work by user intervention - that is, get the user to click on a button as this WILL BYPASS ANTI-VIRUS screening (until software vendors can fix/patch this loophole). Once they click on a button, this will install a/many programs that will infect your system.

What happens then... well?!?!?!?!

Anti Virus Programs
This is a really touchy subject as each to their own, however from my experience in Melbourne Australia, I would generally recommend software made by Eset, Trend Micro and Kaspersky (in no preferential order) over other providers.

For Free Anti Virus, I would suggest Microsoft Security Essentials (link here), although remember, everyone has their own preference and experiences so choose what you prefer.

I HIGHLY suggest avoiding any Symantec/Norton because like Windows, they are the market leader and hence get target most by hackers.

If YOUR INFECTED
This is the tricky part...
1. Get your favorite drink (apple cider for me, coffee during business hours ...)
2. Download Malwarebytes Anti Malware (link here)
3. Download Super AntiSpyware (link here)
4. Do a FULL SCAN with the above 2 scanners TOGETHER
4a. Get another drink...
5. Do an Online Scan with Eset Online Scanner (link here)
6. Do an Online Scan with Trend Micro Housecall (link here)
7. Yell and scream at the imbecilic morons who developed the software - scream even more and threaten the computer that it must work in the next hour and storm out of the room and blame everyone but yourself (I try to avoid this when in the presence of clients)
8. Hope that your infections are removed

If you cannot even download #2, well, you will need to restart your computer in safe mode by continually pressing F8 while the black screen is showing until you get the option of:
* Safe Mode
* Safe Mode with Networking
* etc etc

Choose the second option with networking and then repeat from #1.

If this does not help, well, your more than welcome to buy me a ticket to your home town and I will fix your virus problem for FREE =)

By the way, once your system is infected, there will never be any guarantee that your system is Virus Free - and if any company can claim that, please forward me their details as I would like to pass them a few jobs

Last edited by funktified; 03-08-2012 at 06:41 AM.
Old 03-08-2012, 07:53 AM
Executive Senior Member

terra_australis is on a distinguished road
I just got hit with malicious java code execution when I visited one of my threads. Was picked up and removed by MS Security Essentials but still a little bit worrying considering I didn't actually click on anything...
Old 03-08-2012, 08:00 AM

Run the Malwarebytes and SuperAntiVirus and try Spybot Search and Destroy (I have never used this myself) which can be found here if your on the paranoid side.

If these picked up nothing (Im not including Tracking Cookies or firewall disabled issues etc) then dont panic, post it here and I'll help out.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:06 AM
Executive Senior Member

@Funktified - I also see a lot of these infections. At one point we had 3-4 machines coming into our workshop per day infected with crapware and it would quite often take several hours work to bring the system back to a workable state. In the end it ended up being not worth our while trying to remove them because we couldn't charge several hours worth of labour to Mr Average Joe for a job we couldn't guarantee was 100%. Half the time it would have been more cost-effective for them to simply go buy a new PC. These days we either just copy data and rebuild the system - about 2 hours work - or they can take it somewhere else.

So if anyone didn't already get the message...

DO NOT CLICK ON ANYTHING TO REMOVE THE INFECTION
Old 03-08-2012, 08:10 AM
Executive Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by funktified View Post
Run the Malwarebytes and SuperAntiVirus and try Spybot Search and Destroy (I have never used this myself) which can be found here if your on the paranoid side.

If these picked up nothing (Im not including Tracking Cookies or firewall disabled issues etc) then dont panic, post it here and I'll help out.
Our usual tools are

rkill
MBAM
SuperAntiSpyware
CrapCleaner
Combofix (if it gets to that)

then rinse and repeat.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:31 AM

I agree... although the rinse and repeat is generally futile especially like the last infection being 250+!

My rule of thumb for a business system is if more than 10 infections are found or I cannot install Malwarebytes under normal use (ie not Safe Mode), then I strongly advise a system rebuild as this will guarantee there are no lingering infections.

WARNING
It would be prudent to scan any backups after a system rebuild to make sure that you dont carry over any infections... again, this itself can be an issue...

Otherwise for those that dont want to pay for a service, review my post above - at least you can then pass on the message, just like Kony!
Old 03-08-2012, 08:36 AM
Executive Senior Member

Haven't seen any data file infections as a result of malware YET, but you're right - better safe than sorry... again.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:36 AM

newbud is on a distinguished road
I too work in computers at a public library. I've never been able to remove a virus with software. They are usually always buried deep and most always come back. Software is only good for telling you you got it. But you know that anyhow.
The only cure I know of is to salvage what pictures etc. that you can get off the client's computer and format the hard drive and reload windows. If you use win7 and have a fairly modern computer you may get the drivers included and you could get 'er done in 2 hours. If you have an older machine and have to search the internet for drivers for xp or God forbid something else, it takes longer. I've spent hours trying to find drivers for some obscure box but usually can eventually find them.
Or you can do what I do and load linux and never worry about viruses again. Touche'