Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > orchidgeeks growing project #1 > SPECIES GROWING PROJECT #1.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2008, 11:03 PM
V.I.P Member

sandra is on a distinguished road
Winning Orchid(s) Species Project

PHALAENOPSIS amboinensis - won by 5, not 6. MaryAnna did not sign up for the project and therefore, disqualified from the voting. (As well, not an active member, with only 3 prior posts but, we'd love to have her join in!)

Paphiopedilum spicerianum - won by 4, not 5. Nenella had not signed up for the project and therefore, disqualified from the voting (but not the project participation).

As it was brought up recently, consideration to members wanting an alternative choice from the winning orchid was suggested and agreed on. So instead of doing another poll and being that the runner up’s in this poll resulted in a 3 way tie (4 votes each), members will have a choice of 4 species to choose for the project.

MEMBER'S CHOICES:

PHALAENOPSIS amboinensis Oak Hill Gardens $6.00 (discount n/a)
Paphiopedilum spicerianum Oak Hill Gardens $12.00 (discount n/a)
KOELLENSTEINIA graminea Oak Hill Gardens $15.00 (discount n/a)
ASPASIA lunata Oak Hill Gardens
$15.00 (discount n/a)

U.S. members may order on line at: Oak Hill Gardens Shipping is $12.50 for purchases (including multiple plants) up to $50.

International members: I've been trying to gain access to the thread "Oak Hill New & Improved Plant List" in this forum but the site, as you know, has been up and down today due to maintainence and I haven't been too successful at this time to get in to it. There are a few links there for purchasing. As well, check on Internet Orchid Species Photo Encyclopedia for additional links to purchasing websites.

After you have placed your order, please let me know by posting here, in this thread which orchid you are waiting to receive. Fred will be setting up sub forums, specifically for this project.

It would probably be a good idea to start off by making sure your cameras batteries are charged and taking a pic of your plant upon receiving it and then after you've transferred it into your desired mediums, pots, where you've set up, what conditions you're growing in, etc., etc. and any information you've found about the species you're growing.

Are we all happy? I reeeeealy hope so.

Last edited by sandra; 03-25-2008 at 11:37 AM.
Old 03-24-2008, 11:46 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

articuno75 is on a distinguished road
You have to forgive me, I'm confused.

So we pick the winner of the vote, or pick from the top 4?

All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed: in life that which is unnoticed has the most power.
Old 03-24-2008, 11:48 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Thanked 3,205 Times in 1,285 Posts
mayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of light
Hi Sandra - good work!
I have ordered
1) Phalaenopsis amboinensis
2) Paphiopedilum spicerianum
Old 03-24-2008, 11:55 PM
V.I.P Member

Jenny, you have the option of any 1 of the 4 orchids listed under Member's Choices.....any one your heart desires or, all 4 if you want!
Old 03-24-2008, 11:59 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Woo hoo, awesome!!! I know which ones I'm getting , but I'll order mine later this week. My funds got blown away by the flu and I have to take Mason to Riley.

All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed: in life that which is unnoticed has the most power.
Old 03-25-2008, 12:30 AM
Executive Senior Member

evagentry is on a distinguished road
You have done a good job of putting all this together Sandra, thank you.
Old 03-25-2008, 02:54 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Thanked 1,954 Times in 1,166 Posts
patticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of light
Yay!! I'm so excited! (I'm also feeling better after having a bad cold. ) I've finally decided on 2 plants. I've ordered:
Phalaenopsis amboinensis and
Aspasia lunata

I'm really looking forward to both of these plants... Thanks to Sandra and Fred for all your work.
Old 03-25-2008, 04:00 AM
V.I.P Member

Thanked 5,451 Times in 3,014 Posts
kmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond repute
Can you please post the specifics of the plants that won so that those outside the US can get a plant that is comparable in size. Please post:

1) Leaf span and approximate number of leaves
2) Pot size
3) Level of maturity (seedling, advanced seedling, near blooming size, blooming size, previously flowered) and what that means.

This will help the overseas members get a plant that is about the same size as the ones the Americans are getting. I have 4 or 5 Paph spicerianum, some advanced seedlings and one blooming size) so if the ones purchased are of a similar size, I'll participate in the project.

Last edited by kmarch; 03-25-2008 at 04:03 AM.
Old 03-25-2008, 06:45 AM

flowerchild is on a distinguished road
I guess if I can find any of these from Canadian vendors, I can go ahead and order one eh?
Old 03-25-2008, 06:45 AM
V.I.P Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarch View Post
Can you please post the specifics of the plants that won so that those outside the US can get a plant that is comparable in size. Please post:

1) Leaf span and approximate number of leaves
2) Pot size
3) Level of maturity (seedling, advanced seedling, near blooming size, blooming size, previously flowered) and what that means.

This will help the overseas members get a plant that is about the same size as the ones the Americans are getting. I have 4 or 5 Paph spicerianum, some advanced seedlings and one blooming size) so if the ones purchased are of a similar size, I'll participate in the project.
The objective was/is to start out with a plant that is sufficient size to bloom in it's next scheduled blooming season which, all 4 choices are. As I'm sure you're aware, leaf span and approximate number of leaves was not an objective that was brought up when comprising the list nor is that info stated on Oak Hill's site for these plants.

Pot sizes for these plants from Oak Hill are:

PHALAENOPSIS amboinensis 2.5"
Paphiopedilum spicerianum 2.5"-3"
KOELLENSTEINIA graminea 2.5"-3"
ASPASIA lunata 4"
Old 03-25-2008, 07:33 AM
V.I.P Member

kmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandra View Post
As I'm sure you're aware, leaf span and approximate number of leaves was not an objective that was brought up when comprising the list nor is that info stated on Oak Hill's site for these plants.
If those of us outside the US are going to be able to participate on a reasonably comparable level then we need to know how advanced of a plant to buy. In order to do that we'll need to know its level of maturity and given that people mean different things by a term like "near blooming size" we'll need to know how big the plant needs to be. The best way to gauge this is by leaf span and number of leaves.

I waited until the list was narrowed down to only a few so the info would need to be posted for only a few plants instead of dozens. I'd imagine Oak Hill would be able to give a ballbark figure on these things, or I suppose the overseas folks could just wait until the American's have their plants then tell us how big they are.

So Oak Hill says they're flowering size then?
Old 03-25-2008, 07:45 AM
V.I.P Member

Quote:
So Oak Hill says they're flowering size then?
Yes. The only relevance I get from what you're requesting pertains to the maturity which again, is blooming size. Is this not a good comparison for those purchasing outside the U.S.? When I speak with Oak Hill later this morning, I will ask the measurements you're requesting and post back.
Old 03-25-2008, 07:48 AM
Executive Senior Member Photobucket

tizzycat is on a distinguished road
I have found a nursery in the UK that has two of the choices in flowering size, but only one of the these two in near flowering size???

Another nursery in Scotland has the Den. in Flowering size or large.

May be we in the UK had better wait until some of you have received your plants.
Old 03-25-2008, 07:53 AM
V.I.P Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tizzycat View Post
I have found a nursery in the UK that has two of the choices in flowering size, but only one of the these two in near flowering size???

Another nursery in Scotland has the Den. in Flowering size or large.

May be we in the UK had better wait until some of you have received your plants.
Not quite understanding tizzycat, sorry. They have 2 of these choices in flowering size or not?
Old 03-25-2008, 07:57 AM
Member Photobucket

FLaCo is on a distinguished road
I am a little lost as to who can join in? May I?
Old 03-25-2008, 08:04 AM
V.I.P Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLaCo View Post
I am a little lost as to who can join in? May I?
Yes, of course you can join in FLaCo. After you've placed your order (from the 4 choices in post #1), post back here, in this thread and let us know which plant/s you're waiting to receive.
Old 03-25-2008, 08:17 AM
Member Photobucket

I appreciate the speedy reply Sandra!

I ordered:
1) Phalaenopsis amboinensis
2) Paphiopedilum spicerianum

Thanks again.
Old 03-25-2008, 08:24 AM

tizzycat is on a distinguished road
Sorry Sandra I have re-checked

Deva Orchids Have two of the choices:

Aspasia Lunata - Near Flowering Size £8.00
Flowering Size £12.00

Paphiopedilum: spicerianum - FLowing Size £12.00

PLUS:
Den. loddigesii - Flowing Size £10.00
Large £12.00

It was Regal Orchids (Scotland) who had PHALAENOPSIS amboinensis

Last edited by tizzycat; 03-25-2008 at 08:27 AM.
Old 03-25-2008, 08:34 AM
V.I.P Member

Great tizzycat. Flowering size and 1 of the 4 winning choices from the list.

Den. loddigesii was not a winner.
Old 03-25-2008, 09:21 AM
V.I.P Member

Quote:
Is this not a good comparison for those purchasing outside the U.S.?
The problem is the terms seedling, advanced seedling, NBS, blooming size, aren't standardized and within the US and without, mean different things to different growers. To know, as you've stated, that they take blooming size to mean that it could bloom during its next flowering cycle is useful, but growers sometimes don't even agree on how big a plant has to be to bloom, so the best way to avoid all of those variables is just to get a description like leaf count and leaf span.

Quote:
When I speak with Oak Hill later this morning, I will ask the measurements you're requesting and post back.
Excellent, thank you.
Old 03-25-2008, 09:21 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

patticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by patticake View Post
Yay!! I'm so excited! (I'm also feeling better after having a bad cold. ) I've finally decided on 2 plants. I've ordered:
Phalaenopsis amboinensis and
Aspasia lunata

I'm really looking forward to both of these plants... Thanks to Sandra and Fred for all your work.
I couldn't stand it. So I added on the

Paphiopedilum spicerianum

to my order. So now I'm in 3- That's it, I swear!
Old 03-25-2008, 09:40 AM

shiningrock is on a distinguished road
I do have phal. amboinensis already. I might get Koellensteinia graminea when there is a clear winner from the hybrid project, so I don't have to pay shipping twice .
Old 03-25-2008, 09:57 AM

Don1 is on a distinguished road
I have ordered the spicerianum and the amboinensis for the project. It sounds like fun and I look forward to the reviews. This is my first try at posting so please have patience.
Old 03-25-2008, 10:10 AM
V.I.P Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiningrock View Post
I do have phal. amboinensis already. I might get Koellensteinia graminea when there is a clear winner from the hybrid project, so I don't have to pay shipping twice .
shiningrock, if it helps any, the hybrid plants are being supplied by Jerry. He's able to supply them to us at ridiculously low prices.
Old 03-25-2008, 10:14 AM

janice is on a distinguished road
Sandra, I ordered the following:

Paph. spicerianium
Keillensterinia graminea
Aspasia lunata
Old 03-25-2008, 10:33 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

mayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of light
Don1 - welcome to the forum and welcome to the project. Look forward to seeing how your plants do! Also any other plants you have.........
FLaCo - also nice you could join the project.
Anyone else that reads this thread and hasn't yet joined - jump on in - the water's fine!
Old 03-25-2008, 12:02 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Vivienne is just really niceVivienne is just really niceVivienne is just really niceVivienne is just really niceVivienne is just really nice
WOW - I'm not sure how all these posts managed to find there way here. I've been trying for 24 hours to get on OrchidGeeks. Anyways, I have placed my order.

Phal amboinensis - for the project
Aerangis biloba - for myself
Old 03-25-2008, 12:24 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Quote:
Hi Shiningrock! The orders are coming from 2 different growers- so there would be two different shipping charges anyway. I hope you can join in!
Old 03-25-2008, 12:42 PM
V.I.P Member

I ordered mine, the ASPASIA lunata. I'm thinking of ordering an Encyclia Green Hornet too. I told Oak Hill to wait till tomorrow before sending mine out till I decide.

Quote:
Can you please post the specifics of the plants that won so that those outside the US can get a plant that is comparable in size.

Leaf span and approximate number of leaves
I asked them for the specifics on this. They'll email me later today when they get some time to do this and again, I'll post back.
Old 03-25-2008, 01:30 PM
Super Moderator Photobucket

brookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of light
I just put my order in at Oak Hill. Here's what I ordered. Do we just pick one species from the list to put into our threads for the species project?

Phalaenopsis amboinensis
Koellensteinia graminea
Phalaenopsis gersenii just cause I wanted it.
Old 03-25-2008, 02:06 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

jay is on a distinguished road
Sandra, I am sorry but I am going to have to back out. Too many projects. I have to choose one (other than the epiphyte project) and I am going to order the Fredclarkeara 'After Dark' with a couple of other geeks.

I very eager to see everyone's results. I think it is amazing how many are participating in this project.

Good luck everyone and good growing.
Old 03-25-2008, 02:38 PM

epiphyte is on a distinguished road
Hope it's not too late to join the project because I just finished ordering ASPASIA lunata and KOELLENSTEINIA graminea from Oak Hills Nursery.
Old 03-25-2008, 03:29 PM
Executive Senior Member

Sharyn is just fantasticSharyn is just fantastic
Paph spicerianam
Phal amboinensis
Paph hainanense (just cause I wanted it!)

p.s. I wish I could get skinny as quickly as my wallet.
Old 03-25-2008, 03:50 PM
V.I.P Member

brookn, you can track all 3, 2 or, 1 in the project....your choice.

Jay, we're gonna miss you. and especially, you growing all your orchids in s/h, it would have been quite interesting to see your progress...sniffles.

epiphyte, it's never too late. Count yourself in.

patticake, just checking in with you to see if your count has changed since you last posted.
Old 03-25-2008, 04:07 PM

made4engineering is on a distinguished road
I ordered my Phal amboinensis.
... and Chiloschista segawai and Kefersteinia tolimensis
Old 03-25-2008, 04:16 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Quote:
brookn, you can track all 3, 2 or, 1 in the project....your choice.

Jay, we're gonna miss you. and especially, you growing all your orchids in s/h, it would have been quite interesting to see your progress...sniffles.

epiphyte, it's never too late. Count yourself in.

patticake, just checking in with you to see if your count has changed since you last posted.
PIA- Checking in here! My count is still the 3 from my last post. I ordered one other plant from them that wasn't in the running. I've stopped. I promise!
Thank you again for all of your efforts. I'm sorry that I was a pain. I was sick and couldn't see my family and was extremely crabby the other day. Not usual for me. I can't wait to start this project. The folks at Oak Hill said they would send my order out today. Yay!
Old 03-25-2008, 05:00 PM
Senior Member Photobucket

Rocinante is on a distinguished road
Standing ovation for you and all you've done, Sandra!

You can count me in 'cuz I just ordered: Phalaenopsis amboinensis & Koellensteinia graminea, but it's after noon on Tues. and I might not get them 'till next week now. I just hope they arrive safely! (BTW, when I saw the mounted specials, I had a hard time controlling myself! )
Old 03-25-2008, 06:24 PM

shiningrock is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by patticake View Post
Hi Shiningrock! The orders are coming from 2 different growers- so there would be two different shipping charges anyway. I hope you can join in!
For some reason I thought both projects would come from Oak Hill. Nevermind.

I got phal. amboinensis from Oak Hill two weeks ago in a 2.25" pot. Will this size pot work for the project?
Old 03-25-2008, 06:49 PM
Senior Member Photobucket

jbigio is on a distinguished road
Well I already have three of the four so i guess I'll bow out and do Jerrys plants
GREAT job Sandra
Joe
Old 03-25-2008, 07:04 PM

I just thought you guys should know: that I asked Oak Hill if they secretly had more of a certain awesome species that is no longer in their catalog... and im getting one!
Old 03-25-2008, 07:19 PM

cytojo is on a distinguished road
I am going to have to back out of this project. Racing season begins in 2 weeks and ALL my free time goes to it.
Old 03-25-2008, 07:37 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Vivienne is just really niceVivienne is just really niceVivienne is just really niceVivienne is just really niceVivienne is just really nice
Okay Joe - tell tell - what did you order???
Old 03-25-2008, 08:22 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

PhalPal is a jewel in the roughPhalPal is a jewel in the roughPhalPal is a jewel in the roughPhalPal is a jewel in the rough
You people are evil..... EVIL I say!!!

So, with that said, I ordered....

Phal amboinensis which I will mount since the one I have is in a pot,
Paph spicerianum (my first Paph!!) AND
Encyclia bractescens, which I just could NOT resist, so why try?
Old 03-25-2008, 08:32 PM
V.I.P Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhalPal View Post
You people are evil..... EVIL I say!!!
Yes, but in a charming, delightful sort of way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhalPal View Post
... I just could NOT resist, so why try?
Why try indeed...furthermore...why even live under the paradigm that says resisting is somehow preferable or in some way desirable or noteworthy or not resisting is somehow a weakness or something of the sort.

Break the chains! More, more, MORE ORCHIDS FOR EVERYONE!!!!
Old 03-25-2008, 08:49 PM
V.I.P Member

I just received the following email from Oak Hill.

Kevin, hope this answers your question.

Members: I would suggest that although Oak Hill offered a 25% discount on orders $16 and over, they may be willing to apply this to every order, regardless of price, from our group and to get in touch with them and let them know that your order is from the project that I (Sandra) was working with them on. I have mentioned OrchidGeeks but they are definitely more familiar with this project, by my name.

From Oak Hill:

Sandra,
So sorry if I sounded upset this morning when you asked for the plant sizes, we have some customers that want us to count every leaf and measure every bulb, and it gets frustrating at times, I didn't mean to take it out on you!!! My apologies!!
The phal. amboinensis are 4-6 inch leaf span with 3-4 leaves
Paph. spicerianum= 6-8 inch leaf span with 4-6 leaves
Koel. graminea=6-8 inches tall with 4-6 growths
Aspasia lunata = 6-8 inches tall with 4-6 bulbs

we pick the largest nicest plants in the batch to send, hope this satisfies your question!!

also, we are getting lots of orders in without the members identifying themselves as part of " the geeks" so if I miss giving someone the discount, just tell them to contact me and I'll apply it... I'm trying to catch them all, but we get over 100 orders a week, and I don't know who is part of your forum unless they tell me in their order. Thanks for all your work on this, hope everything goes smoothly!!
Liese
Oak Hill Gardens
PO Box 25
37W550 Binnie Road
Dundee, IL 60118
oakhillgardens@sprintmail.com
Oak Hill Gardens

Last edited by sandra; 03-25-2008 at 08:52 PM.
Old 03-25-2008, 09:18 PM
Member Photobucket

I forgot to mention I am part of the geeks. I think its too late but it isn't a big deal.

Sandra, again thank you.
Old 03-25-2008, 09:27 PM
V.I.P Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowerchild View Post
I guess if I can find any of these from Canadian vendors, I can go ahead and order one eh?
flowerchild, so sorry, I missed this post.

Yes! Place your order!
Old 03-25-2008, 09:38 PM
V.I.P Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
Standing ovation for you and all you've done, Sandra!
Ah, thank you Rocinante, my pleasure.

evagentry, you're welcome and thanks for the kind words.
Old 03-25-2008, 09:43 PM
V.I.P Member

Quote:

I got phal. amboinensis from Oak Hill two weeks ago in a 2.25" pot. Will this size pot work for the project?
Hey, I've got a novel idea shiningrock. Why don't you order one of the other 3? What a great excuse! If not, we'd never kick you out...you're in too deep now....and just know, you've been warned.
Old 03-25-2008, 10:31 PM
V.I.P Member

Just thought I'd let you guys know that I gave in and added the Encyclia Green Hornet to my order. Oak Hill Gardens Isn't it pretty?
Old 03-25-2008, 10:41 PM

Ak_Orchid is on a distinguished road
Just got done with my order.

PHALAENOPSIS amboinensis (for the project)
PHALAENOPSIS gersenii (looks really cool)
DENDROBIUM harveyanum (I want to try to cross this with Dendrobum brymerianum)

BIG THANKS to Sandra for all her hard work on this project!

Last edited by Ak_Orchid; 03-26-2008 at 02:38 AM.
Old 03-26-2008, 12:34 AM

brookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of light
I just contacted Oak Hill, hopefully they can still apply the discount for me, that would be awesome. Sandra, are they applying the discount to the whole order, or just the one plant?

I agree with everyone else, you have done a great job with this. I can't wait for them to get here.

I will console myself with my Neofinetia Benisuzume that is coming tomorrow or Thursday whoo hoo. If this goes as I am expecting, I get a plant this week, 3 next week, and some more from Jerry in a couple of weeks. I have been informed by my son that I am not allowed any more orchids until Fall!
Old 03-26-2008, 01:37 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

OOOoooo. The threat of orchid ban! I heard that before

Sandra you have done an awesome job. I can't wait to get everyone healed and get mine ordered. I just hope I don't end up with the junk so I can take care of the new 'chids'.

Old 03-26-2008, 01:49 AM

Jenny I hope everyone is doing okay. I know that it is especially hard when the kids are sick. Don't stress too much, it will just weaken your immunity. Oh and get lots of Vit. C

I am sure the ban will be lifted, seeing as the little booger wants me to buy an orange Oncidium for him hee hee.
Old 03-26-2008, 07:15 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Quote:
Just thought I'd let you guys know that I gave in and added the Encyclia Green Hornet to my order. Oak Hill Gardens Isn't it pretty?
Sandra, That sure IS sweet.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:21 AM
V.I.P Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by articuno75 View Post
I can't wait to get everyone healed and get mine ordered. I just hope I don't end up with the junk so I can take care of the new 'chids'.
I just read your other thread Jenny and so sorry to read about all the illness going on where you are. Sending wishes for a speedy recovery.
Old 03-26-2008, 12:59 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

PhalPal is a jewel in the roughPhalPal is a jewel in the roughPhalPal is a jewel in the roughPhalPal is a jewel in the rough
Brook remind your son that if ONE family member is banned, ALL are banned. House rules.
Old 03-26-2008, 01:02 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Quote:
...why even live under the paradigm that says resisting is somehow preferable or in some way desirable or noteworthy or not resisting is somehow a weakness or something of the sort.
Ha!! I totally agree Kevin!! Thanks for reminding me of such philosophy.
Old 03-26-2008, 03:40 PM

arleneg is a jewel in the rougharleneg is a jewel in the rougharleneg is a jewel in the rougharleneg is a jewel in the rough
I'm interested in joining this project. Is it too late?
Old 03-26-2008, 04:07 PM
Junior Member Photobucket

clarita is on a distinguished road
Thank you Sandra for a lovely job! Just wanted to let you know I was still on board
Old 03-26-2008, 04:14 PM
Executive Senior Member

UPS arrived today from Oak Hills with my order for the project. I ordered online and did not see any section to mention the Orchidgeeks project; however, upon e-mail receipt of my order, I replied to let them know I was involved in the project. They applied the discount to my project orchid before charging my credit card.

Can't post any pics right now, but will in the near future. Hope you all get your plants soon.
Old 03-26-2008, 04:21 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

I'm sure it is not too late Arlene - jump on in!
Old 03-26-2008, 04:47 PM
V.I.P Member

Tobi is just fantasticTobi is just fantasticTobi is just fantastic
I ordered a Koellensteinia grammera. Great people at Oak Hill.
Kudos to Sandra for everything she has done to get the project
in operation!! Fabulous job and thanks for all the time you spent
on doing this.
Old 03-26-2008, 04:49 PM

RPfeiffer is on a distinguished road
Hi! I would like to join, is it too late?
Old 03-26-2008, 04:57 PM

Please, join us! Jump on in, the water's fine... Lot of us arent going to be getting our plants till mid-next week, so if you order any time this week or early next week it should be fine
Old 03-26-2008, 05:17 PM

dipasquo is on a distinguished road
I ordered Phal. amboinensis last night. Woot!
Old 03-26-2008, 06:21 PM
V.I.P Member

I have to say, and I hope this message somehow makes it back to Oak Hill, they have performed way above and beyond the call of duty! I mean seriously, this is incredible. They've put up with all of our questions, they've given the plant sizes in detail (thanks Sandra too for getting that info), they're going back and applying discounts to orders that have already been placed, they're giving the discounts in the first place. It's really remarkable and impressive.
Old 03-26-2008, 06:23 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

I agree - anyone who comes upon the project that had not been involved in the voting or initial conversation - contact Oak Hill in the next week or so and get your plants ordered and come along for the ride! The more the merrier - it will be interesting to hear from everyone over time concerning how they and their plants are doing. Hope mine don't come froze? Lots of mixed snow, ice, & rain today - where is spring????
Old 03-26-2008, 06:32 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Truer words have never been typed Kevin.

Three cheers for Oak Hill!!!!!
Old 03-26-2008, 07:04 PM

Oak Hill has been wonderful, and the plants that I ordered for my birthday were and still are great. I would not hesitate to order from them again-oh wait, I just did hee hee. When I was waiting for my order, Greg called me personally to let me know that it would be coming as soon as it warmed, just great customer service. Three cheers for Oak Hill, and three cheers for Sandra. WHOOOOOOOO-HOOOOOOO!
Old 03-26-2008, 07:09 PM

I just got the e-mail, and my discount was applied. Really cool.
Old 03-26-2008, 07:28 PM
Executive Senior Member

Kevin: You're right. Oak Hills does an outstanding job and all of their personnel are so friendly and helpful. When I replied to the e-mail confirmation that they should check my name off for the project, I never even asked for the discount as I had already placed my order.

To my surprise, upon receipt of my order, the total had been adjusted to reflect the discount. How nice! I know that I'm lucky to have received my plants so quickly, but I only live about 70 miles away. Everything (yes, I said everything! ) was very nicely packed, with a heat pack and arrived in perfect condition.

Now, I can add these new babies to my collection in addition to my birthday presents to myself - yikes, I'm going to need more growing space.
Old 03-26-2008, 08:01 PM

Normkp is on a distinguished road
Count me in. Don't quite know how the project works, BUT it sounds like fun. Raising orchids from the same stock as others and comparing notes. That sounds great.
I've ordered
Phalaenopsis amboinensis
Aspasia lunata and
I added in Phalaenopsis bellina cause it was there!
Old 03-26-2008, 08:12 PM
V.I.P Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharyn View Post
UPS arrived today from Oak Hills with my order for the project. I ordered online and did not see any section to mention the Orchidgeeks project; however, upon e-mail receipt of my order, I replied to let them know I was involved in the project. They applied the discount to my project orchid before charging my credit card.

Can't post any pics right now, but will in the near future. Hope you all get your plants soon.
Sharyn, Hoo-ray! You are the first member to take this project into it's first phase!!!! Yes, take pics but hold off on posting them here. We're in the process now of setting up the forum for the project and that's where you'll want to start tracking and posting everything regarding your plant!!!

Congratulations on being the first!!!!
Old 03-26-2008, 08:31 PM
V.I.P Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookn View Post
Oak Hill has been wonderful, and the plants that I ordered for my birthday were and still are great. I would not hesitate to order from them again-oh wait, I just did hee hee. When I was waiting for my order, Greg called me personally to let me know that it would be coming as soon as it warmed, just great customer service. Three cheers for Oak Hill, and three cheers for Sandra. WHOOOOOOOO-HOOOOOOO!
I agree brookn. They took a lot of weight off my shoulders in helping me with everything and kept me updated every step of the way. Liese, who I worked mostly with was nicer than nice. She never made me feel as if I was interrupting her and always got back to me with the many questions I had. I sent her an email letting her know just how much everyone here has been impressed with their service. They've been exemplary in every which-way!