Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > orchidgeeks growing project #1 > SPECIES GROWING PROJECT #1.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2008, 09:54 AM
V.I.P Member

sandra is on a distinguished road
Orchid Project Suggestion

I'd like to make a suggestion that I know could be a lot of fun, an excellent way to learn more about orchid culture and would involve member participation. An orchid growing project in which members would first vote by poll, on an orchid to grow. We can put together a list of orchids first for consideration before the vote. It would have to be purchased then, not one that's already in our possessions but a new plant. The objective could be in getting it to flower but it's overall progress because of our vast growing differences, I think, would be prove quite interesting to all of us. Members would post updates with pictures, include their growing spaces and the culture they're providing, etc., etc., etc. Perhaps an entirely separate category in the forum could be implemented for this.

Would members here be interested in participating in something like this?
Old 03-11-2008, 10:16 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

articuno75 is on a distinguished road
I have many questions.

1. Would it be only one species that everyone would work on or a multitude? For instance one group say work on Phals while others do Dens?

2. Would the plants be bought from a specific grower so that we know that there are no variants in the control for this experiment? We know the plants are coming from the same place so that all plants are pretty much equal.

3. What is the final achievement and goal that we are trying to accomplish? Will all results be posted so that others may see and learn?

4. Starting out seedlings or NBS?

Okay I think I've gone beyond now. I'm game. It's a new orchid to baby for me. I just need details.

All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed: in life that which is unnoticed has the most power.
Old 03-11-2008, 10:29 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Vivienne is just really niceVivienne is just really niceVivienne is just really niceVivienne is just really niceVivienne is just really nice
Count me in! Sounds like lots of fun and learning once we get all the details worked out. Perhaps - since high light plants would be a struggle - we could have 2-3 different groups
Old 03-11-2008, 10:29 AM
V.I.P Member

exasperatus2002 is on a distinguished road
That sounds interesting. I'd be interested in participating. I'd like to suggest nbs plants since, waiting for a seedling will take several years to bloom. Or, if any of us have had something just out of flask (or we all chip in for a flask then have someone divide it), we can divide it up and see what difference we all make in its maturation.
Old 03-11-2008, 10:37 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Vivienne is just really niceVivienne is just really niceVivienne is just really niceVivienne is just really niceVivienne is just really nice
I'd vote for the NBS plants. Perhaps we can locate a grower who would like to help us out by selecting plants that are similar in status?? Oak Hill comes to mind as do several others.

Now if we can pull this off so that our fellow Geeks around the world can participate as well - that would be very interesting!
Old 03-11-2008, 10:44 AM
Executive Senior Member

Hummer344 is on a distinguished road
Count me in. I vote for the NBS.
Old 03-11-2008, 11:50 AM
V.I.P Member

Great!

Nothing is set in stone as far as rules, Jenny.

Response to your
1: I think concentrating on one particular orchid at a time would be the way, what do you think? Hybrid or species, doesn't matter. I was thinking along the lines of doing a preliminary list that would be compiled by everyone here on what they'd like to grow, do a vote/poll.

2: An orchid, easily found here in the U.S. and internationally. This would be in the list of consideration when final votes are cast. Full disclosure on where it's purchased, etc. A pic of the plant upon arrival, what it's potted in, where we're placing it, etc.

3: There's really no final achievement. The objective could be in which member can get it to flower first, perhaps? But I think it's a case of "it's not in the destination but in the journey" attitude.

4: Whooops, don't know what NBS stands for but if you mean a flowering sized plant, Yup!

Vivienne, I agree about high light plants, after my struggles with my catts.

Sorry these comments aren't indexed in any order at the moment. We can all get more defining by further and future input to get this off the ground!!!
Old 03-11-2008, 12:58 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Thanked 3,205 Times in 1,285 Posts
mayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of light
Growing competition / Learning Experience ?????

Many of us read with interest about the large plant that was divided and sent out to a number of members around the first of the year - and the interest of all the recipients in comparing notes as their section grows (or doesn't) compared to other recipients.
How about a similar (yet different) challenge where members (that are so inclined to participate) all purchase the same plant (or even 2-3 if desired) and all grow in their area and then periodically we compare notes and pics and see what conditions, environment and culture has the most success? If we could figure out the logistics I would be willing to secure plants (or anyone else could too for that matter if they were so inclined).
If so, what kind of plants would you all be inclined to try this on? My preference would be phals, paphs, or catts.
Our local orchid society does this periodically - we all start with the same plant - and then a year later we all bring them in and compare. It is amazing to see the difference.
What do you all think??????
Old 03-11-2008, 01:18 PM

kellyincville is on a distinguished road
I think that's a great idea! My plants are growing and many are blooming regularly but are they doing as well as they could?

A Paph. or a Phal. would be great with me. Many of the BS paphs can be quite pricey (but if that's what everyone wants I'm fine with it). Could we do a fun phal? Maybe a species? I've never been a fan of catts.
Old 03-11-2008, 01:19 PM
Super Moderator Photobucket

brookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of light
I'm in, but nothing too high light or too large please. I think it is a great idea. Could we be a little budget conscious on it as well? I think Oak Hill is a great place to look. A new plant, what could be wrong with that?
Old 03-11-2008, 01:26 PM

Looks like great minds think alike! I just replied to the thread that mayres posted with the same idea!

I would love to participate. I think I would learn a lot. Oak Hill jumped to my mind as well. I also agree with Brook's comments concerning light and size.
Old 03-11-2008, 01:40 PM

brookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of light
I've never grown a Paph. but I replied to Sandra's post about this as well. I am totally in. There are some nice Paphs at Oak Hill for pretty decent prices also. Of course, I prefer Phals, but I am totally game. I agree with Kelly (we seem to keep crossing over each other hee hee) I like species as well. There is a couple of new species Phals offered at Oak Hill I saw the other day.
Old 03-11-2008, 01:43 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

How about something different - not Phal or Paph? Something out there can probably be grown in high light and medium light. Aerides, Aerangis.

Just my feebly sick brain thinking out loud.
Old 03-11-2008, 01:43 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Small world. Sandra just started the same topic earlier today. I'm still in!
Old 03-11-2008, 01:45 PM

If we all agree on Oak Hill can everyone go look at their website and bring back a suggestion or two of something that caught their eye? Then have a poll?
Old 03-11-2008, 02:01 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

mayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of light
Good for Sandra - I actually had been thinking of something on this vein earlier and was also to some degree reacting to information from Sandra - not knowing that she had started a like thread - doesn't matter to me who takes the ball and rolls with it - but once we find out who the players are maybe we can get something going. Super - glad there is interest. Maybe one of the moderators can combine these two threads if they are on the same topic?
Old 03-11-2008, 02:02 PM
Executive Senior Member

Sharyn is just fantasticSharyn is just fantastic
Count me in! Since I have so many phals., I'd like to try another Paph. Still on a learning-curve with the catts, but I'm game to whatever you guys would like to try.

I think the "key" will be selecting an orchid, not too difficult to grow under many different conditions and geographical locations. Once we decide on an orchid, perhaps we can find vendors willing to supply all of us with our "experiment" orchid so we're all growing the exact same specimen.

I think this would be a fun project.

Sandra: Maybe Fred will combine your thread with Mike's so we're all on the same page with an orchid project.
Old 03-11-2008, 02:02 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Count me in too.

All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed: in life that which is unnoticed has the most power.
Old 03-11-2008, 02:05 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

How about an Oncidium? They practically grow every where.

Old 03-11-2008, 02:09 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

How about Encyclia cochleata
Old 03-11-2008, 02:12 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Nice one Viv.... I like that.

Old 03-11-2008, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivienne View Post
How about Encyclia cochleata
That's hilarious. I just made my short list from Oak Hill and came back and saw your post.

Encyclia cochleata 3-3.5” $12
Phal bellina 3” $16
Old 03-11-2008, 02:27 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

PhalPal is a jewel in the roughPhalPal is a jewel in the roughPhalPal is a jewel in the roughPhalPal is a jewel in the rough
I would love to do this! I have found the Epiphyte Division Thread educational and a lot of fun.

At first I was going to say exactly what Sharyn stated above, that we should pick a plant suitable to many geographical locations. Then i remembered that Epi's division is being grown 11 different ways in vastly different environments and all are making progress. THAT in itself is turning out to be the biggest lesson!!

What about a type of plant that not a lot of us will have already?? Most of us probably already have Phals, Catts and Paphs and in this case a different variety will force us to stretch our imaginations??

I will go along with anything and if the consensus chooses Phals, which many of us grow a lot of, we can try to grow it differently then the rest of what we have. There has to be something I haven't tried when it comes to Phals!

Last edited by PhalPal; 03-11-2008 at 02:31 PM.
Old 03-11-2008, 02:31 PM

A suggestion that Vivienne and I made in the other thread was for an Encyclia cochleata...
Old 03-11-2008, 02:45 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

PhalPal is a jewel in the roughPhalPal is a jewel in the roughPhalPal is a jewel in the roughPhalPal is a jewel in the rough
For anyone who is not familiar with the following project here is the link: http://www.orchidgeeks.com/forum/gen...on-thread.html

There is a link within this thread to WIKI, where the keepers of these divisions can update their divisions progress. The only flaw in this experiment is that we only had ten divisions so participation was limited by this.
Getting the exact same variety from (probably three growers? US/Canada, Australia, and Europeon?) is going to be the best we can do for having the same specimen to start with.
Old 03-11-2008, 03:04 PM
Member Photobucket

NancyG is on a distinguished road
Sounds like it would be interresting and fun. Phal for me would work. With shipping what does that add up to.

NancyG
Old 03-11-2008, 03:12 PM

Ak_Orchid is on a distinguished road
Count me in Definitely NBS (Near Blooming Size). I think it would be great to see the differences in growth over time
Old 03-11-2008, 03:17 PM
V.I.P Member

exasperatus2002 is on a distinguished road
Heres a list from oak hill that was made with the price in mind.

High light

Angraecum sesquipedale fragrant- y 3” pot $6
Cattleya lueddemanniana fragrant 3.5” $12
Cattleya percivaliana fragrant 3.5” $8.00
Potinara Jared’s Jewel 3.5” pot $8.00
Lc. Drumbeat ‘Triumph’ AM/AOS fragrant 4” pot $10.00
Lc. Pixie Gold ‘Muse’ AM/AOS 2.5” pot $12.50
Lc C. G. Roebling ‘Sentinel’ HCC/AOS 3.5” pot $12.50

Med-low

PSYCHOPSIS papilio var. aurea 2” pot $10.00
Caulocattleya Chantilly Lace 'Twinkle' HCC-AOS 4” pot $15.00

Low light

Phal. Equestris 3” pot $10
Phal gersenii 2.5” pot $6.00
Old 03-11-2008, 03:43 PM

Trocopillia tortilis-$10.00
Phal. gersenii-$6.00
Paph. sukhakulii-$15.00-20.00
Oeoniella polystachys-$18.00
Eria fragrans-$16.00
Encyclia ambigua-$6.00
Cuitlauzina ergotinii (Osmoglossum anceps)-$8.00
Aerangis citrata-$15.00

I pulled all of these from the new offerings section, I was thinking if they are in the new offerings, they might have a larger supply than ones they have been offering for a while. I put in a few that most of us weren't likely to be growing, and mostly med light. I tried to stay under $20.00.

I already own a bellina, and an equestris, so if we could try not to get one that we already have that would be great.
Old 03-11-2008, 04:03 PM

Ak_Orchid is on a distinguished road
I'm not sure about these being available in the UK, but here's my quickly made "wish list" from Oak Hill.

DENDROBIUM ramosum Pot Size - 2.5-3 Price- $15.00
PHALAENOPSIS gersenii Pot Size - 2.25-2.5 Price- $6.00
DENDROBIUM canaliculatumPot Size - 2.5-3 Price- $15.00
DENDROBIUM harveyanum Pot Size - 3 Price- $18.00
PHALAENOPSIS amboinensis Pot Size - 2.5 Price- $6.00

Of course I'm always up to trying new species.
Old 03-11-2008, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookn View Post
I just looked this one up...very pretty! I like it.
Old 03-11-2008, 04:18 PM
V.I.P Member

Tobi is just fantasticTobi is just fantasticTobi is just fantastic
You guys decide and just let me know. I'm in.
Old 03-11-2008, 04:35 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

I don't think we will have any issues finding a grower with enough plants for the test in the US (and maybe Canada?) - whether this is possible to do over a larger geographical area or not seems doubtful due to the paperwork/documentation required? Possibly someone more familiar with international orchid sales can confirm or deny this issue?
Old 03-11-2008, 04:58 PM

Barkeria scandens-$8.00
Camarotis obtusa-$15.00
Chysis laevis-$12.00
Cirrhea dependens-$6.00
Epindendrum lacerum-$12.00
Epidendrum stamfordianum v. album-$5.00-10.00
Gongora tricolor-$8.00-18.00
Paph. delenatii-$10.00-15.00
Phal. violaccea v. Malasia-$15.00
Sobralia decora-$6.00
Promnea Meadow Gold-$12.00
Psychopsis Mendenhall-$10.00
Miltonidium Pupkea Sunset 'H&R'-$15.00
Oncidiumnia Kutoo 'CT-Little Cherry'-$10.00

Okay, so I am bored and need an excuse to buy more orchids
Old 03-11-2008, 04:59 PM
Executive Senior Member

tom499 is a jewel in the roughtom499 is a jewel in the roughtom499 is a jewel in the rough
If you wanna keep the seller the same, then you'll have to count anyone outside N. America out, I cant pay the CITES and phytosanitory costs for one plant

We could maybe buy the same plant here or similiar size anyway, there are many sellers in the EU who could get us the same plant, as long as its not too rare.
Old 03-11-2008, 05:55 PM
Member Photobucket

rodbender is on a distinguished road
sounds good count me in also
Old 03-11-2008, 06:45 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Thanked 1,954 Times in 1,166 Posts
patticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of light
I'm in for sure!! We used to do a presidents project plant when I was in african violets. We all got the same plant(small) and took it home. Brought it back for the show at the end of the year. It was fun. Obviously, we can't do that- but I think if we all agree on a plant and a source- it would be LOTS of fun. I'm game for anything- Let me know what to order and where, I'm in! Maybe a mini-something? A seedling cross would be interesting too, since the plants vary quite a bit.- Whatever....
Old 03-11-2008, 06:47 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Thanked 1,954 Times in 1,166 Posts
patticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of light
I'm in... I think it's a great idea!
Old 03-11-2008, 06:57 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

jay is on a distinguished road
I'm in. This will be fun.
Old 03-11-2008, 06:58 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

I'm in for this one too.

Maybe a moderator could combine these two threads.
Old 03-11-2008, 07:26 PM
Junior Member Photobucket

clarita is on a distinguished road
I would love to try this. I grow indoors in winter. I've been experimenting with more non-traditional lighting, but more commonly found in the household... mmmm.. I would do 2 plants. 1 under cfl's (traditional) and 1 under the "wierd" lights
Old 03-11-2008, 07:36 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Clarita - What do you call "weird" lights? I grow with LED lights, is this what you mean?
Old 03-11-2008, 10:09 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

I guess we could have three different 'experiments' going at once, the US/Canada, Australia/Tasmania/NZ, and Europe/England. Each geographical group could pick what orchid they want to grow and get them at the same place. The threads will be open for all to read and learn from, like the 'Epiphyte's Division Thread' is now.

If the three groups chose different orchids we could learn a great deal in a year about how to grow these three types of orchids.
Old 03-11-2008, 10:16 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Okay - it looks to me like if we all make a list for submission it is going to take a long time for consensus. This might not be the ideal solution either, but I emailed Oak Hill and asked THEM to suggest a list for this project that we could then vote on. We could all look at the list and vote as to whether or not the list looks acceptable for voting and if that passes go ahead and move forward. Will see what we get................
Old 03-11-2008, 10:27 PM
V.I.P Member

Great again!

I suggest, the first thing we need to do is have a separate module put on the board by Fred. Everything regarding the project would be in one place, less threads to search through.

Once that's established, we can all start contributing suggested orchids to grow and then do a vote. I quickly laid out a few steps in the thread I started today.

I don't think it would be (necessarily) a prerequisite that these orchids be purchased by one particular vendor and as Tom pointed out, highly improbable to consider this. This project would be for all members, not just us northerner's. I'm sure of a few vendors here in the states though, that would love to be our source of supplying the plant we end up choosing.

Sharyn, definitely an easy growing orchid otherwise, I lose before I even begin.

OK, so the first step before we begin is to have a separate module/category to post into here at the forum, strictly for this project, right? After this is established, we can begin with input from members who are participating, which orchids to consider for the project, then do a poll. How does this sound?

Fred, is it possible for you to set up this separate module here on the forum to get us started?
Old 03-11-2008, 10:28 PM
V.I.P Member

P.S. Here's my thread from earlier today http://www.orchidgeeks.com/forum/sug...uggestion.html
Old 03-11-2008, 10:32 PM
V.I.P Member

P.S.S. I have to stress one additional point once again. I believe it will be defeating to have separate projects going on at the same time. Everyone from all continents that are members here, working/playing on the same orchid, all together!
Old 03-11-2008, 10:36 PM

flowerchild is on a distinguished road
Count me in too!!!! I wanna play with the nice orchids tooooooo!!!!!
Old 03-11-2008, 10:39 PM
V.I.P Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayres View Post
Okay - it looks to me like if we all make a list for submission it is going to take a long time for consensus. This might not be the ideal solution either, but I emailed Oak Hill and asked THEM to suggest a list for this project that we could then vote on. We could all look at the list and vote as to whether or not the list looks acceptable for voting and if that passes go ahead and move forward. Will see what we get................
You are THE MAN Mike!
Old 03-11-2008, 11:13 PM
Senior Member Photobucket

Rocinante is on a distinguished road
I want in too...I guess we should sticky this thread.
Old 03-11-2008, 11:19 PM
Senior Member Photobucket

Rocinante is on a distinguished road
P.S. I've never been on Oak Hill. Would somebody please link me? Thanks.
Old 03-11-2008, 11:21 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Here you go. Oak Hill

Old 03-12-2008, 01:20 AM
Executive Senior Member

evagentry is on a distinguished road
Your project sounds like a great idea, being where I am I cant really participate but I will be watching from afar,promise!
Old 03-12-2008, 02:02 AM

pitik101 is on a distinguished road
other than oak hill...may I suggest our own grower Jerrymeola. He should be able to provide "same" age plants to all the ones in the US. that will even out the variations a little more.
Old 03-12-2008, 06:18 AM
Site Administrator
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thanked 3,229 Times in 1,356 Posts
fred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond repute
For all the members who are interested in the Orchid Growing Project there is now a section for this Topic placed in the orchid growing Forum,s.

thank you for the suggestion Sandra
Old 03-12-2008, 08:53 AM
V.I.P Member

Project #1-Orchids to Consider

We can sort this out, narrow the list down at a later time. For now, this is what's been suggested thus far:

Vivienne's proposed orchids:
Aerides
Aerangis
Encyclia cochleata

kellyincville's proposed orchids:
Encyclia cochleata
Phal bellina

exasperatus2002's proposed orchids:
High light
Angraecum sesquipedale fragrant- y 3” pot $6
Cattleya lueddemanniana fragrant 3.5” $12
Cattleya percivaliana fragrant 3.5” $8.00
Potinara Jared’s Jewel 3.5” pot $8.00
Lc. Drumbeat ‘Triumph’ AM/AOS fragrant 4” pot $10.00
Lc. Pixie Gold ‘Muse’ AM/AOS 2.5” pot $12.50
Lc C. G. Roebling ‘Sentinel’ HCC/AOS 3.5” pot $12.50
Med-low
PSYCHOPSIS papilio var. aurea 2” pot $10.00
Caulocattleya Chantilly Lace 'Twinkle' HCC-AOS 4” pot $15.00
Low light
Phal. Equestris 3” pot $10
Phal gersenii 2.5” pot $6.00

brookn's proposed orchids:
Trocopillia tortilis-$10.00
Phal. gersenii-$6.00
Paph. sukhakulii-$15.00-20.00
Eria fragrans-$16.00
Encyclia ambigua-$6.00
Cuitlauzina ergotinii (Osmoglossum anceps)-$8.00
Aerangis citrata-$15.00
Barkeria scandens-$8.00
Camarotis obtusa-$15.00
Chysis laevis-$12.00
Cirrhea dependens-$6.00
Epindendrum lacerum-$12.00
Epidendrum stamfordianum v. album-$5.00-10.00
Gongora tricolor-$8.00-18.00
Paph. delenatii-$10.00-15.00
Phal. violaccea v. Malasia-$15.00
Sobralia decora-$6.00
Promnea Meadow Gold-$12.00
Psychopsis Mendenhall-$10.00
Miltonidium Pupkea Sunset 'H&R'-$15.00
Oncidiumnia Kutoo 'CT-Little Cherry'-$10.00

Ak Orchid's proposed orchids:
DENDROBIUM ramosum Pot Size - 2.5-3 Price- $15.00
PHALAENOPSIS gersenii Pot Size - 2.25-2.5 Price- $6.00
DENDROBIUM canaliculatumPot Size - 2.5-3 Price- $15.00
DENDROBIUM harveyanum Pot Size - 3 Price- $18.00
PHALAENOPSIS amboinensis Pot Size - 2.5 Price- $6.00

Sandra's proposed orchids:
low-med. light
Cochleanthes amabilis
Cochleanthes amazonica
Cochleanthes aromatica
Cochleanthes candida

Last edited by sandra; 03-13-2008 at 09:27 AM.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:48 AM
V.I.P Member

pikevi is just really nicepikevi is just really nicepikevi is just really nicepikevi is just really nicepikevi is just really nice
Thanks fred, sandra.

I finally found my way

This is a great idea. The things I wanted to say are irrelevant now but I will follow them up in the subsequent threads sandra created.

Good luck.
Old 03-12-2008, 10:02 AM

Jay- Incandescents and halogen track lights :-) I was not impressed with LED's. How has yhour experience been?

Oak Hill is a great suggestion. I live within driving distance. I would caution about some of the plants on the lists above. For example, the Ang. ses. They are hideously slow growers and may not be BS. I am happy to take a run up there to see how many they have and the size one a species has been decided.(I REALLY don't mind

Size should be considered for those of us with limited space. Availability too. I was there a few days ago. There are some really unique plants. I for one would like to grow something that I haven't grown before...
Old 03-12-2008, 10:27 AM
Member Photobucket

NancyG is on a distinguished road
I'd like to hear from Jerry Meola and see what he thinks from a grower's perspective. Just curious...what plant he would pick and if he would be able to supply.

NancyG
Old 03-12-2008, 10:29 AM
V.I.P Member

Orchid Project#1 module

Just in case members haven't noticed, Fred set up a separate module in the ORCHID GROWING LIST section for our Orchid Project #1. Let's try to keep everything related to this project in this module so nothing goes amiss. As we get further along with this, hopefully, some sub-categories can be implemented to keep our information/progress/resources in chapters.

Any and all suggestions setting this up is awaiting your input!
Old 03-12-2008, 10:33 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Oops - looks like we got two threads going again which can be confusing to everyone?
Maybe we can stick with just one of them - what do you think? I think you need to pick a vendor first that we can all select from and then make certain they will have the quantities of plants we will require - maybe three dozen or so. ??????? I have no particular bent on any vendor - but noted quite a few Oak Hill Garden comments -

My earlier post on the other thread -

Since quite a few people mentioned Oak Hill Gardens as a good source of plants and they are centrally located among all members I emailed them for a list of potential plants. Here is their response.......

Thanks for the feedback and the interest!

Your best bet might be to get something off of our wholesale list. There are some decent sized low-medium light, n.b.s. plants on that list for discounted prices. There are four pages of species plants from which to choose, starting with page 1 linked below:

Oak Hill Gardens

There are also some hybrids and mericlones on the list as well.

Phal bastianii, Phal schilleriana, Phal stuartiana and Phal equestris are four low-medium light near-blooming-size (n.b.s.) plants on the list that come to mind. These should all bloom next W-S. There are many other genera to choose from as well.

Check out the list and let me or Liese know if you have questions. We have plenty of these plants to serve the quantities you described.

What would you think Sandra of everyone going to this link and doing something like picking their top 5 choices (or something like that) and the two top vote getters we could either re-vote or even do two plants (everyone would of course have the option of doing both or either one?). Another thought. Regardless, I defer to you on this - you started the concept and once you decide on the course of action I will be behind you 100%. (honk honk )

Last edited by mayres; 03-12-2008 at 10:36 AM.
Old 03-12-2008, 10:43 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Thanks Mike for getting in contact with Oak Hill!

I would like to offer a page on my website where we can post all the initial purchase pictures. This will put them all neatly on one page, rather than over several posts, for easy comparison. We could then do a monthly follow-up of pics, etc. Conversation regarding plants would remain here on Orchid Geeks.
Old 03-12-2008, 10:51 AM
Executive Senior Member

Hummer344 is on a distinguished road
I already have Encyclia cochleata so I would cross that one off any list. I have been partial to fragrent Cats. so that would be a #1 choice for me. I have orchids that require all lighting conditions so could accomadate anything the group deceides on. All things on the list seem at a resonalbe price so that is not a problem. Oak Hill seems to be a good choice. I got a mini Mark Holm from them recently. They packed it well and shipped very quickly after my order. Would buy from them again
David
Old 03-12-2008, 10:54 AM
V.I.P Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivienne View Post
Thanks Mike for getting in contact with Oak Hill!

I would like to offer a page on my website where we can post all the initial purchase pictures. This will put them all neatly on one page, rather than over several posts, for easy comparison. We could then do a monthly follow-up of pics, etc. Conversation regarding plants would remain here on Orchid Geeks.
That sounds great Vivienne.

I'm trying to get sub categories established for things just like this. I don't know yet if it can be done. Fred emailed me and told me he'd work on it when he wakes up. But this is exactly where I'm getting stuck....keeping related subjects separate (threads/categories within the module)in one central place. Did that just make sense? I'm in a little bit of a hurry here. Have to go buy a coffee maker.....mine is on the brink of death and I can't be without my coffee in the morning!

Later......
Old 03-12-2008, 11:01 AM
V.I.P Member

Thanked 1,239 Times in 532 Posts
jerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond repute
I run this kind of experiment almost every day. As a scientific experiment it will not prove much, but as fun it can be great.

If cost is a factor I can supply a large variety of plants at cost in 1 inch plugs (about 4 inches tall) for about $2 and 2 inch pots (6-8 inches) at about $4. Shipping will cost about 1.75 for plugs on the east coast first class, 3.95 priority mail to about $9 if we have to use Priority mail with no weight limit. I will be getting about 3000 new plugs and 1000 2 inch pots in May and would try to chose plants all about the same condition.

I recommend hybrids rather than growing with species. The variation on species plants is greater and the results will be more varied. Also buying a quantity of a species may not be easy as most growers do not raise a lot at a time.

I have an Encyclia cochleata, for example, that was a 2 inch pot and has barely grown and not flowered in 4 years, while a wild collected plant grows like a weed.

I am concerned with members becoming discouraged because they are not getting the results of other members.

In a normal 98 plug tray (same parent seed pod) 20% may die, 40-50% will be average and 20-30% will grow exceptionally fast. The variation will not be as great on 2 inch pots. Still I can flower a 2 inch pot in one season on about 20% of my plants, with others taking an extra year and some are taking forever.

The variation is inherent to the plant not the hybrid or the care given. Two plants next to each other on the same bench with the same treatment can grow at double the rate of the one next to it. The variation is extremely great if the plant was even slightly damaged when it was young. A plant knocked out of a 2 inch pot for a few days may take months to recover and you can not tell by looking at it.

As I said this will not prove much more than what I said earlier, but if members go into this for fun and do not get discouraged when their results do not match the best, then it can be great fun.

Nancy I was typing this reply even before I saw yours
Old 03-12-2008, 11:06 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Thanks for the input Jerry. I, for one, would prefer a plant that is a little further along than a seedling or plug. Something that has a chance to bloom within the year.

Agreed - this is for fun more than anything scientific.
Old 03-12-2008, 11:15 AM

what about 2 categories? One hybrid and 1 species?
Old 03-12-2008, 11:17 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

What about your Sogo Doll's Jerry? I know that they went through a freak blizzard in Florida, BUT these are hardy and it would be something that could be nurtured along the way. They're BS right?

Old 03-12-2008, 11:29 AM
V.I.P Member

jerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond repute
There are no Sogo Dolls in production that I know of right now.

I have several 2 inch size coming today that I know are hardy and bloom fast. When I see the size I can comment more. Size varies a lot from one order to the next 4 weeks later. That is why I said I would try to pick comparable size plants from a larger amount.

All cordigera hybrids would be a good choice since 80-90% flower within one year, some flower in the growing trays. They are extremely fragrant and flower reliably from Easter to Mother's day. And I do not know anywhere you could buy one in bloom for under $20-25.
Old 03-12-2008, 11:33 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Guys pick this one! I have it in my wish book!!!

Old 03-12-2008, 11:38 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Encyclia cordigera hybrid?
Old 03-12-2008, 12:01 PM
V.I.P Member

Vivienne yes I meant all cordigera hybrids

The one I am getting this month is a different cross but the growth, colors and fragrance are similar. It is Epi. Atroneceum 'Mother's Day'
x Enc. Cordigera 'Chocolate Violets' possibly a little Chocolate in the pedals but similar to this photo. You see there is not a lot of variety in the crosses, just small color differences.

I have a miniature (2-6" Dendrobium) coming from the University of Hawaii seed bank that blooms as small as 2 inches

There are lots of choices. Most 2 inch Cattleya pots this time of year are ready to be re-potted into 4 inch (8 inches) whereas if you buy them in the summer they will be today's plugs grown to about 6 inches.
Old 03-12-2008, 12:14 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

I like the Encyclia. These can grow well in medium light as well as high light, correct?

Personally I would like to stay away from Cattleya, but definitely away from Dens. I just gave all but 3 of mine away. Not enough light. So if Encyclia can do reasonably well in medium light, that's my preference. Plus it's a very cool bloom!
Old 03-12-2008, 12:49 PM
V.I.P Member

I never tried growing many orchids in less than ideal light levels. I have flowered Encyclia in Oncidium levels of 2000-2500 foot candles, whereas Cattleya are about 3500, but have never grown them lower so I do not know what they would do.

Most of my experiments are growing in overly bright levels for faster growth, or unintentional tests like unexpected cold fronts.
Old 03-12-2008, 01:13 PM
V.I.P Member

Everyone should realize that Oak Hill charges $12.50 (reasonable price) for shipping so those $5 plants jump in price quick.

There are at least three threads going now. So I repeat my thoughts that species will be disappointing for many members, while hybrids will be more fun. Please go into this for fun and not competition, the playing ground is not even.

http://www.orchidgeeks.com/forum/orc...uggestion.html

I buy from several shippers the same plants each month in these sizes. They will have 100% increase in size some shipments and back to smaller the next. If everyone is buying individually the sizes for starting will be like the plant that was divided. Not an even playing field but still fun.