Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > orchidgeeks growing project #1 > SPECIES GROWING PROJECT #1.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2011, 10:12 AM
V.I.P Member
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thanked 4,080 Times in 1,190 Posts
Shannara is on a distinguished road
Cool Holcoglossum wangii grow project *Unofficial*

This is an 'unofficial' growing project for the Holcoglossum wangii that Rachel (aka Filb) and I decided to challenge each other on. Seeing as I have never done this before I hope that this is the correct place to post this thread. Emmaye has already requested to join in and any of my fellow geeks are welcome to participate. The Holco's we purchased are currently at Oak Hill in 2" pots for $10.00.

For those participating I thought we could discuss how we want to approach this project. Please feel free to give suggestions or ideas on this project as I have never participated in one before. My suggestion is that we take a picture of our Holcos at least once a month and post a progress report. We can include what kind of sun exposure, watering schedule, and food we are giving them. The main goal being to try and flower our Holco first while also sharing anything we learn in the meantime with our fellow geeks on how to successfully grow this chid.

The intial post of your Holco can show how you have decided to grow yours, potted or mounted, what type of media, etc. I have already received my Holco and will be posting photos shortly of my adventure in repotting him. I decided it was a him this time...not sure why...lol.

Shann~

>>
My 2012 Grow Area<<
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Shannara For This Useful Post:
Ladyofthelakes (11-24-2012), orchids4me (05-20-2011), plantloverlisa (05-20-2011), Stitz (05-30-2011)
Old 05-20-2011, 10:34 AM
Super Moderator Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thanked 5,863 Times in 2,950 Posts
syndywindy is on a distinguished road
I have one that I purchased recently at Oak Hill. It is a pretty established wangii and has just started a spike. Don't know if I'd qualify for your unofficial challenge, but it is still a new plant for me. I think I just lucked out picking out the one I did. Mine is mounted and as I said very established on it's mount so I don't plan on disturbing it. Woul still like to be a part of this unofficial challenge.

Life is Good Today! Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you will die tomorrow.

Synda
The Following User Says Thank You to syndywindy For This Useful Post:
Shannara (05-20-2011)
Old 05-20-2011, 10:48 AM
V.I.P Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndywindy View Post
I have one that I purchased recently at Oak Hill. It is a pretty established wangii and has just started a spike. Don't know if I'd qualify for your unofficial challenge, but it is still a new plant for me. I think I just lucked out picking out the one I did. Mine is mounted and as I said very established on it's mount so I don't plan on disturbing it. Woul still like to be a part of this unofficial challenge.
You could join in and show us pics of yours and how you have been growing it. To be fair it would have to be out of the running for the first to bloom as its already in spike, but I would like to see your pics of the bloom. Now if you can get it to rebloom down the line, in your growing conditions, I think that would be fair.

Glad you want to join us!

Shann~

>>
My 2012 Grow Area<<
The Following User Says Thank You to Shannara For This Useful Post:
syndywindy (05-20-2011)
Old 05-20-2011, 01:03 PM

R&P is on a distinguished road
I'm hoping to visit Oak Hill tomorrow, so I might pick one of these up in addition to my other challenge entry. The pictures I've found of it look gorgeous! I just hope I don't kill it
The Following User Says Thank You to R&P For This Useful Post:
Shannara (05-20-2011)
Old 05-20-2011, 02:43 PM
V.I.P Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R&P View Post
I'm hoping to visit Oak Hill tomorrow, so I might pick one of these up in addition to my other challenge entry. The pictures I've found of it look gorgeous! I just hope I don't kill it
Sounds great! Lucky you to live so close to them. I wish an orchid vendor lived that close to me!

Okay here come some of my Holco pics. First pic is of the two pots I created for my Enc. fragrans and the Hoclo. I drilled a lot of holes in two 3" pots, as you can see, to allow for lots of airflow.

Next up some shots of my little Holco after he first arrived. He was a bit floppy in his pot.

I removed him from his pot with great care and checked the roots.

I potted him up in charcoal, Stalite, and aliflor. I used a small stake, some wire, and a spike clip to hold him steady in an upright position until he takes root. I watered him in with some Fertilome root stimulator, a few drops of Superthrive, and a dash of Physan 20.

Right now he is on the bottom of bench where he will receive dappled sun throughout the day and direct late afternoon sun. I may end up moving him though.

So there he is. I am looking forward to seeing how all of yours look.

Shann~

>>
My 2012 Grow Area<<

Last edited by Shannara; 05-20-2011 at 06:41 PM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Shannara For This Useful Post:
BluPeaches (05-27-2011), Filb (06-19-2011), orchids4me (05-20-2011), plantloverlisa (05-20-2011), ysanabria (05-20-2011)
Old 05-20-2011, 02:50 PM
Executive Senior Member

plantloverlisa is on a distinguished road
I like what you did drilling holes in pots, what did you use to do it? I was just reading on Orchid Wiz about them and it said they like moist but air to roots so that should work great.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to plantloverlisa For This Useful Post:
orchids4me (05-20-2011), Shannara (05-20-2011)
Old 05-20-2011, 02:59 PM
V.I.P Member

It's a drill bit I purchased at Lowes. Home Depot does not carry it. I will check the packaging and take a some pics of the ones I use so you can find them too. They go through the pots pretty easy. I keep some water nearby to cool the bit off if I am making a lot of holes at once.

I like the options of drilling my own holes because clay orchid pots are getting hard to find, and expensive when I do. This way I can use any clay pot and make as many holes as I want!

Shann~

>>
My 2012 Grow Area<<

Last edited by Shannara; 05-20-2011 at 03:06 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shannara For This Useful Post:
orchids4me (05-20-2011), ysanabria (05-20-2011)
Old 05-20-2011, 04:38 PM
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Yours looks great and quite honestly, not much smaller than the one I bought. I'll have to take a picture of mine to show you. I'd be interested in knowing about the drill bit also. I like that you are able to create a pot with greater air flow using the clay pots. Great idea!

Life is Good Today! Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you will die tomorrow.

Synda
The Following User Says Thank You to syndywindy For This Useful Post:
Shannara (05-20-2011)
Old 05-20-2011, 05:17 PM

Thanked 4,422 Times in 3,810 Posts
orchids4me is on a distinguished road
I will have to re order as I got the wrong size plant and the mounted one. I will try to call them to see if they can add it to my order that's still in progress.

Daisy 2003 -2013
Life is too short.... Buy more orchids!!!!

Emmaye
Old 05-20-2011, 05:43 PM

Yeah!!!!! I called them at oak hills and they added it to my order the right size my order wouldn't be processed until monday so I got in on time to add the right size one on
I'm with the others on that drill bit shann what does it look like? What size is it and what type and brand is it from lowes? Pics ???
Emmaye

Daisy 2003 -2013

Emmaye
The Following User Says Thank You to orchids4me For This Useful Post:
Shannara (05-20-2011)
Old 05-20-2011, 06:34 PM
V.I.P Member

Drill Bit Info

I have a direct link for the drill bit at Lowes. The brand is Kobalt and I have the 1/2" and 5/16" glass and tile bit.

Kobalt 1/2" Hex Shank Glass and Tile Bit at Lowes

The one they sell at Home Depot for glass I also tried but it wasn't nearly as good. As for using this Kobalt bit...the slower you drill the smoother the holes. I kinda went crazy fast so my holes aren't as neat as they could have been. Keep some water nearby to cool it down if you will be drilling a lot of holes.

Shann~

>>
My 2012 Grow Area<<
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Shannara For This Useful Post:
BluPeaches (05-20-2011), orchids4me (05-21-2011), plantloverlisa (05-25-2011), syndywindy (05-21-2011)
Old 05-20-2011, 06:39 PM

BluPeaches is on a distinguished road
I think I might join you guys at the end of the month.
Thanks for sharing your pit idea with us. I'm going to try it later on tonight.

Edit: I meant, Pot.

Last edited by BluPeaches; 05-20-2011 at 08:09 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to BluPeaches For This Useful Post:
Shannara (05-20-2011)
Old 05-20-2011, 06:49 PM
V.I.P Member

Quote:
Yours looks great and quite honestly, not much smaller than the one I bought. I'll have to take a picture of mine to show you. I'd be interested in knowing about the drill bit also. I like that you are able to create a pot with greater air flow using the clay pots. Great idea!
Yes, I want pics of your lil' Holco! If they are all about the same size that is great! Then we can see how yours grows mounted compared to any that are potted up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orchids4me View Post
Yeah!!!!! I called them at oak hills and they added it to my order the right size my order wouldn't be processed until monday so I got in on time to add the right size one on
Emmaye
Yay! I am excited for you!! Do you have any ideas on how you will grows yours yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluPeaches View Post
I think I might join you guys at the end of the month.
Thanks for sharing your pit idea with us. I'm going to try it later on tonight.
Join us anytime. You could always call and see if Oak Hill will hold one for you until then.

I misted lil' Holco earlier. He is lookin' good. So far the squirrels have left him alone!

Shann~

>>
My 2012 Grow Area<<
Old 05-20-2011, 07:08 PM

bumpman is on a distinguished road
Got one too.

I just got a mounted specimen as well from Oak Hills and will keep track of this thread and share any successes. I will try to summer it outside in coastal Maine. I just had to get it because my name is also Wang. Cheers,
The Following User Says Thank You to bumpman For This Useful Post:
Shannara (05-20-2011)
Old 05-20-2011, 10:26 PM
Junior Member Photobucket

Thanked 3,074 Times in 552 Posts
ysanabria is on a distinguished road
You guys are such enablers now I will have to add this beauty to my order my order is shipping monday I hope I still have time

If we realized how powerful our thoughts are, we would never think a negative thought! Be Positive!!! Share your beautiful smile & LOVE!!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ysanabria For This Useful Post:
Shannara (05-20-2011), Stitz (05-30-2011)
Old 05-21-2011, 12:58 AM

Shann,
I'm not sure yet how I'm going to pot it up .... Its drier here than in florida so it being (Vanda) I will have to improvise some. What did it originally have as potting media when you got yours ?
Yours looks great and it looks big in the pics. I have no idea how big these get ... Do you ? Oh and thanks for the link to the drill bit
Emmaye

Daisy 2003 -2013

Emmaye
Shannara (05-21-2011)
Old 05-21-2011, 03:49 AM

steam fire and ice is on a distinguished road
Shan, since you deal more with the clay pots, have you seen them like this?

Shannara (05-21-2011)
Old 05-21-2011, 05:29 AM

Hi cyndi, home depot carries them sort of like that the holes are square also but only like 1/2 inch tall by like a 1/4 inch wide and closer to the bottom edge not so high up the side of the pot on this side of the coast.

Daisy 2003 -2013

Emmaye
Old 05-21-2011, 05:36 AM

You know... When the thread turns into pages I will only be able to acess it from the home pc to much for my phone to load. I will have to learn how to post pics on the Pc. I don't know how to do that , last time I tried it wanted a UrL addy for the pics. I don't have one and I will have to transfer pics by emailing them to my self from my phone lol. Any one have a secret simple way to do it from the pc and not use a url addy? It will be how I have to load up date pics.....

Daisy 2003 -2013

Emmaye
Old 05-21-2011, 10:41 AM
V.I.P Member

~

Quote:
Originally Posted by steam fire and ice View Post
Shan, since you deal more with the clay pots, have you seen them like this?
I haven't seen them like that...that is really cool! Would be great for use with Vandas.

Quote:
You know... When the thread turns into pages I will only be able to acess it from the home pc to much for my phone to load. I will have to learn how to post pics on the Pc. I don't know how to do that , last time I tried it wanted a UrL addy for the pics. I don't have one and I will have to transfer pics by emailing them to my self from my phone lol. Any one have a secret simple way to do it from the pc and not use a url addy? It will be how I have to load up date pics.....
Hmmmm...I don't use a cell phone for taking pics. I would assume you would have to cable your phone to your PC so you could download them directly or email them to yourself. I normally download my pics and then upload them to share on photobucket. You also have to option to directly attach a file to your post by click the "manage attachments" button.

Does that help you at all?

Shann~

>>
My 2012 Grow Area<<
Old 05-21-2011, 12:20 PM

kine671 is on a distinguished road
Those pots look great, Shann. The plant seems happy!

"Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet." Jean-Jacques Rousseau
The Following User Says Thank You to kine671 For This Useful Post:
Shannara (05-21-2011)
Old 05-21-2011, 01:06 PM
V.I.P Member

Quote:
Shann,
I'm not sure yet how I'm going to pot it up .... Its drier here than in florida so it being (Vanda) I will have to improvise some. What did it originally have as potting media when you got yours ?
Yours looks great and it looks big in the pics. I have no idea how big these get ... Do you ? Oh and thanks for the link to the drill bit
Emmaye
Mine came in bark in a 2" pot. It is actually a fairly small plant. I need to take a picture of it with something next to it for comparison. From what I have read these are mature at 10-12". And your welcome about the drill bit. I like being able to create as much airflow on my pots as possible.

Shann~

>>
My 2012 Grow Area<<
Old 05-25-2011, 04:05 PM

Here's my "entry" into the "unofficial" challenge. So far, it's still alive! I'm going to leave it in the pot/media in which it came. It's currently in a west windowsill with a dozen or two other orchids that seem to do very well there. I have a "vaporizer" going most days unless it really feels humid, and then I don't run it. The day the picture was taken was gorgeous, and I brought all of the orchids out for some fresh air, and they loved it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg H Wangii Day 1.jpg (60.6 KB, 25 views)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to R&P For This Useful Post:
Shannara (05-25-2011), ysanabria (05-30-2011)
Old 05-27-2011, 01:50 AM

Emmaye's Holcoglossum wangii

Here's my little one arrived today I will try to get better pics later
Don't know how I'm doing this one yet. I aslo got the mounted one, not shure I like the mount its up to high on it I think.
Emmaye
Attached Thumbnails
img-20110526-00074.jpg   img-20110526-00071.jpg   img-20110526-00073.jpg  

Daisy 2003 -2013

Emmaye
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to orchids4me For This Useful Post:
Shannara (05-27-2011), ysanabria (05-30-2011)
Old 05-28-2011, 08:34 PM
V.I.P Member

Sorry to just be getting back to this thread. Both of your Holco's seem to have so much foliage and growth than mine. The one I received has 5 pencil thin leaves. If you repot it Emm I'd love to see an updated pic. R&P yours looks very lush and healthy!

Thanks for joining in you guys!

Shann~

>>
My 2012 Grow Area<<

Last edited by Shannara; 05-28-2011 at 08:55 PM.
Old 05-28-2011, 10:49 PM

Filb is on a distinguished road
I'm so excited to get mine! Yours all look great!
I'm still debating on where to purchase it from. It will be a few weeks yet I think.
Shannara (05-28-2011)
Old 05-30-2011, 01:47 AM

Hey Shann, on yours how it has one of its leaves with a lighter color kind of yellowish from the tip going down. My other one same kind that is mounted has 3 of its leaves like this. What causes that do you know? It came this way. I noticed some other plants have blotcy coloring and another member called the vendor and they said were exposed to some cold temps. Could that be what this is since they all came from the same place? And how big do these get ?
Thanks shann
Emmaye

Daisy 2003 -2013

Emmaye
Old 05-30-2011, 09:15 AM
Senior Member Photobucket

Stitz is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysanabria View Post
You guys are such enablers now I will have to add this beauty to my order my order is shipping monday I hope I still have time
YES, y'all are enablers to my orchid addiction!

I purchased two different, unflowered Laelia purpurata from Francisco Miranda as a direct result of this GEEK activity. I hope that they will flower in not less than two years to join another Lp which I purchased from Francisco two years ago which is in bud at this moment!

Flip Wilson used to say "The Devil made me do it!"
In my case - GEEKS made me do it!!

--Stitz--

Last edited by Stitz; 05-30-2011 at 09:17 AM.
Old 05-30-2011, 09:39 AM
V.I.P Member

Thanked 2,686 Times in 1,127 Posts
psyc1210 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitz View Post

I purchased two different, unflowered Laelia purpurata from Francisco Miranda as a direct result of this GEEK activity. I hope that they will flower in not less than two years to join another Lp which I purchased from Francisco two years ago which is in bud at this moment!

Flip Wilson used to say "The Devil made me do it!"
In my case - GEEKS made me do it!!

--Stitz--
And hopefully I get the pleasure of seeing the purpurata that is in bud, in <2 weeks??

The Following User Says Thank You to psyc1210 For This Useful Post:
Stitz (05-30-2011)
Old 05-30-2011, 09:43 AM
Senior Member Photobucket

Stitz is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by psyc1210 View Post
And hopefully I get the pleasure of seeing the purpurata that is in bud, in <2 weeks??
Count on it - bet the ranch!

--Stitz--
psyc1210 (05-30-2011)
Old 05-30-2011, 10:26 AM

Stitz,
While your being enabled get one of these to hitch hike in the box and join this project

Daisy 2003 -2013

Emmaye
Stitz (05-30-2011)
Old 05-30-2011, 11:58 AM
V.I.P Member

Quote:
Hey Shann, on yours how it has one of its leaves with a lighter color kind of yellowish from the tip going down. My other one same kind that is mounted has 3 of its leaves like this. What causes that do you know? It came this way. I noticed some other plants have blotcy coloring and another member called the vendor and they said were exposed to some cold temps. Could that be what this is since they all came from the same place? And how big do these get ?
Thanks shann
Emmaye
From what I understand Emm it is considered mature size at 10-12" but will bloom long before that. I haven't seen it listed anywhere at more than 12" so thats not too big considering what Vanda types can get like. The blotchy area you're referring to could have been the sections that were shaded behind another pot or are just the older leaves slowly fading out. The most noticable coloring on mine is kinda purple and I figured it was from exposure to higher sunlight. Many of my orchids have developed these purplish coloring from the high sun exposure. Not sure if these were affected by the cold over winter or not. Could be though.

HTH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitz View Post
Yes....yes we are. Resistance is futile.

Quote:
Stitz,
While your being enabled get one of these to hitch hike in the box and join this project
I wholeheartedly agree with this suggestion that cannot be construed as enabling...

Shann~

>>
My 2012 Grow Area<<
Stitz (05-30-2011)
Old 05-30-2011, 02:19 PM

Thanked 1,459 Times in 733 Posts
Stelios is on a distinguished road
I finally locate one plant but it is a bit on the expensive side 18Euros, i will order it and also participate in this growing project.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stelios For This Useful Post:
Shannara (05-30-2011), Stitz (05-30-2011)
Old 05-30-2011, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stelios View Post
I finally locate one plant but it is a bit on the expensive side 18Euros, i will order it and also participate in this growing project.
Whooooo hooooo! Yeah!!!! got another for the project !!!

Daisy 2003 -2013

Emmaye
Old 05-31-2011, 08:11 AM

Here is my wangii, as you can see it is very well established on it's mount and has a spike with buds started. Shann wanted to see what mine looked like even though it won't be part of this challenge due to it's size. The roots actually worked their way through the mount and out the other side.
Attached Thumbnails
dscn1818.jpg   dscn1819.jpg   dscn1822.jpg   dscn1821.jpg  

Synda
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to syndywindy For This Useful Post:
Filb (05-31-2011), orchids4me (06-01-2011), R&P (05-31-2011), Shannara (05-31-2011), ysanabria (06-01-2011)
Old 06-01-2011, 03:31 AM

Ok
I decided to basket mine. But I got a big surprise . I had mentioned in another thread when others said they got 2 seedlings at time in a pot from OHG
Well it was 2 lol. And when I was reinsing and trimming dead roost only 3 little ones found and went to rinse and get a piec of bark loose. Woah!! It was 3 plants lol. So now 3 baskets. I might re pot one and grow one that way but for now I have them this way (who knows what my next day off may inspire or transpire into )
These are 4" teak wood baskets. I lined them with coco fiber (thin layer not much room in a 4 inch to over stuff when using additional media stuffsl lol)
Added some cork chips and some medium chunky bark pieces. Attached the wires to each. Using light out side inder Orange tree for group shots. I am groing these indoors for now. Weathers still poopy, raining through the weekend ( when is the weather going to warm up?!?)
Pics below
Emmaye
Attached Thumbnails
img-20110531-00093.jpg   img-20110531-00095.jpg   img-20110531-00096.jpg   img-20110531-00097.jpg   img-20110531-00098.jpg   img-20110531-00099.jpg   img-20110531-00100.jpg   img-20110531-00101.jpg  

Daisy 2003 -2013

Emmaye
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to orchids4me For This Useful Post:
Filb (06-01-2011), Greybeard (06-07-2011), Shannara (06-01-2011), syndywindy (06-01-2011), ysanabria (06-01-2011)
Old 06-01-2011, 03:47 AM

And here are the last pics of the basketing task
Attached Thumbnails
img-20110531-00102.jpg   img-20110531-00104.jpg   img-20110531-00103.jpg   img-20110531-00105.jpg   img-20110531-00106.jpg   img-20110531-00107.jpg   img-20110531-00108.jpg  

Daisy 2003 -2013

Emmaye
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to orchids4me For This Useful Post:
Filb (06-07-2011), Greybeard (06-07-2011), Shannara (06-01-2011), ysanabria (06-01-2011)
Old 06-01-2011, 08:15 AM

Miranda321 is on a distinguished road
Fabulous and instructional step-by-step pictorial. And they all look so happy and healthy!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Miranda321 For This Useful Post:
orchids4me (06-01-2011), Shannara (06-01-2011)
Old 06-01-2011, 08:33 AM

Three plants for the price of 1, can't beat that! They look great in their baskets.

Synda
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to syndywindy For This Useful Post:
orchids4me (06-01-2011), Shannara (06-01-2011)
Old 06-01-2011, 02:13 PM
Junior Member Photobucket

Thanked 3,074 Times in 552 Posts
ysanabria is on a distinguished road
Mine arrive last week but i didnt have time to post. Here are some of TC as well.
Mine is mounted from Oak Hills and planning to keep it that way, the roots are well attach and it's outdoor in my shade house I like much better when is only one thread for project, its easier to see everybody plants and updates.

If we realized how powerful our thoughts are, we would never think a negative thought! Be Positive!!! Share your beautiful smile & LOVE!!!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ysanabria For This Useful Post:
Filb (06-07-2011), orchidaddict789 (08-09-2011), orchids4me (06-01-2011), Shannara (06-01-2011), syndywindy (06-01-2011)
Old 06-01-2011, 02:20 PM

BluPeaches is on a distinguished road
Oh man! I completely forgot about this orchid when I put my order in.
Old 06-01-2011, 03:11 PM

How lucky to get multiple plants! I wasn't planning to repot mine, but now maybe I'll rethink that
The Following User Says Thank You to R&P For This Useful Post:
orchids4me (06-01-2011)
Old 06-01-2011, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluPeaches View Post
Oh man! I completely forgot about this orchid when I put my order in.
I hope you still do! These are really cute little guys/gals with beautiful blooms. Maybe you'll get a few in your pot too . I'm going to change how one of them is potted into a cly pot like Shann's getting drill bit on monday . I ordered a mounted one also it has one funky leaf though pic below
Attached Thumbnails
img-20110531-00109.jpg   img-20110531-00110.jpg  

Daisy 2003 -2013

Emmaye
Shannara (06-01-2011)
Old 06-02-2011, 12:15 AM
V.I.P Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stelios View Post
That is great that you were able to find one! I am loving how many people are joining in this thread project! My thanks goes out to Rachel for thinking of this challenge!

Quote:
Here is my wangii, as you can see it is very well established on it's mount and has a spike with buds started. Shann wanted to see what mine looked like even though it won't be part of this challenge due to it's size. The roots actually worked their way through the mount and out the other side.
It's so healthy Synda! I can't wait to see pics of your blooms.

Quote:
Woah!! It was 3 plants lol. So now 3 baskets. I might re pot one and grow one that way but for now I have them this way Emmaye
Wow Emm...you got quite a deal there. It seems like a lot of you guys got very robust plants...mine seems kinda spindly after seeing the pics of everyone elses. It had a healthy root system so here's hoping it will surprise me and really take off!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysanabria View Post
Mine arrive last week but i didnt have time to post. Here are some of TC as well.
Mine is mounted from Oak Hills and planning to keep it that way, the roots are well attach and it's outdoor in my shade house I like much better when is only one thread for project, its easier to see everybody plants and updates.
That is a very healthy Holco Ysa. I agree that keeping it mounted is a good idea considering how established it is.

I guess having an *unofficial* project gives us the opportunity to keep all of the updates in one thread. I can see the advantages of both a single project and individual project threads though.

Quote:
I'm going to change how one of them is potted into a cly pot like Shann's getting drill bit on monday . I ordered a mounted one also it has one funky leaf though pic below
Let me know how the drill bit works out. I wouldn't worry too much about one bad leaf considering how many are on that plant. My poor Holco has like 5 pencil leaves and that's it! He still seems stable and I am keeping a close eye on him and my fragrans.

Thanks everyone for your participation. Feel free to share any information on how your growing yours...plant medium, light levels, fertilizers, supplements, etc. I have switched all of my fertilizers over recently to Grow More 20-10-20 and MSU 19-4-23 tap water special.

Shann~

>>
My 2012 Grow Area<<
orchids4me (06-07-2011)
Old 06-02-2011, 05:37 PM

About to order my Holco from Oak Hill (and I'm going to try out their special for this month too )!
I want to purchase the Phal. violacea too, but I didn't particularly like Oak Hill's photo of their stock. I'm not sure where else to buy it though.
Old 06-03-2011, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filb View Post
About to order my Holco from Oak Hill (and I'm going to try out their special for this month too )!
I want to purchase the Phal. violacea too, but I didn't particularly like Oak Hill's photo of their stock. I'm not sure where else to buy it though.
You can't always go by the pictures. I can tell you first hand, what they have is nice healthy plants. I can't recall ever going there and seeing anything that looked even remotely in poor shape. So don't hesitate to get what you want from them.

Synda
Old 06-03-2011, 10:45 AM

Right photos are a bit sketchy, but they provide at least a little insight to the finished product, if you will.
I bought it anyway. Should be here in a couple weeks! Woo!
Old 06-07-2011, 08:28 AM
Executive Senior Member

Greybeard is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Ok
I decided to basket mine. But I got a big surprise . I had mentioned in another thread when others said they got 2 seedlings at time in a pot from OHG
Well it was 2 lol. And when I was reinsing and trimming dead roost only 3 little ones found and went to rinse and get a piec of bark loose. Woah!! It was 3 plants lol. So now 3 baskets. I might re pot one and grow one that way but for now I have them this way (who knows what my next day off may inspire or transpire into )
These are 4" teak wood baskets. I lined them with coco fiber (thin layer not much room in a 4 inch to over stuff when using additional media stuffsl lol)
Added some cork chips and some medium chunky bark pieces. Attached the wires to each. Using light out side inder Orange tree for group shots. I am groing these indoors for now. Weathers still poopy, raining through the weekend ( when is the weather going to warm up?!?)
Pics below
Emmaye
Those we're great step by step pic's, I really learned something new
The Following User Says Thank You to Greybeard For This Useful Post:
orchids4me (06-07-2011)
Old 06-07-2011, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannara View Post
It's a drill bit I purchased at Lowes. Home Depot does not carry it. I will check the packaging and take a some pics of the ones I use so you can find them too. They go through the pots pretty easy. I keep some water nearby to cool the bit off if I am making a lot of holes at once.

I like the options of drilling my own holes because clay orchid pots are getting hard to find, and expensive when I do. This way I can use any clay pot and make as many holes as I want!

Shann~
Hi Shann,
I got my drill bits at Lowes yesterday. Did you soak the pots first ? Are you pouring water on the pot when or while drilling or dirll.....stop.....water....drilll...
Or dipping pot or bit in water
Last did you hold pot up right,at an angle or use something along the sides to stablize it to not drill your hand lol its not a flat surface is why I'm asking this last question. Want to do it as safe as possible. Will wear glove and safety glasses also.
Thanks shann just want to do it right and safe
Emmaye

Daisy 2003 -2013

Emmaye
Old 06-07-2011, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greybeard View Post

Those we're great step by step pic's, I really learned something new
Thanks,
You know I didn't realize I had so many typos in that post. My my see what 2 days no sleep will do lol sorry everyone for all those typo's

Daisy 2003 -2013

Emmaye
Old 06-07-2011, 03:19 PM
V.I.P Member

Quote:
Hi Shann,
I got my drill bits at Lowes yesterday. Did you soak the pots first ? Are you pouring water on the pot when or while drilling or dirll.....stop.....water....drilll...
Or dipping pot or bit in water
Last did you hold pot up right,at an angle or use something along the sides to stablize it to not drill your hand lol its not a flat surface is why I'm asking this last question. Want to do it as safe as possible. Will wear glove and safety glasses also.
Thanks shann just want to do it right and safe
Emmaye
Hey Emm,

I have been drilling out in my garage on a large piece of cardboard. I lay the pot upside down (drain hole is at the top) and hold the pot still by pressing down on the pot with my hand. The slower you drill the smoother the holes. I often just go full speed ahead to get it over with faster though. I don't mind if the holes are a little rough around the edges.

I keep water nearby to dip the bit in when it starts getting hot. There is A LOT of dust. You might want to wear a mask or if you can drill outside put a fan next to you to blow the dust away from your face. When you're done just rinse the pot to get all of the dust off.

Does that answer all of your questions?!

Good luck!

Shann~

>>
My 2012 Grow Area<<
orchids4me (06-07-2011)
Old 06-07-2011, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Hey Emm,

I have been drilling out in my garage on a large piece of cardboard. I lay the pot upside down (drain hole is at the top) and hold the pot still by pressing down on the pot with my hand. The slower you drill the smoother the holes. I often just go full speed ahead to get it over with faster though. I don't mind if the holes are a little rough around the edges.

I keep water nearby to dip the bit in when it starts getting hot. There is A LOT of dust. You might want to wear a mask or if you can drill outside put a fan next to you to blow the dust away from your face. When you're done just rinse the pot to get all of the dust off.

Does that answer all of your questions?!

Good luck!

Shann~
Yes totally visualize it.
Thank you

Daisy 2003 -2013

Emmaye
Old 06-07-2011, 06:31 PM
Executive Senior Member

Greybeard is on a distinguished road
Don't know if anybody else can find them but they say azalea pots work really well for Orchids( both love drainage ) too because holes in side. Might save drilling holes in fingers Maybe wrong kind of holes I don't want to ruin everybodies hole drilling fun Don't worry about typos, my bifocals keep getting in the way so I may have alot too
Old 06-07-2011, 07:15 PM
V.I.P Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greybeard View Post
Don't know if anybody else can find them but they say azalea pots work really well for Orchids( both love drainage ) too because holes in side. Might save drilling holes in fingers Maybe wrong kind of holes I don't want to ruin everybodies hole drilling fun Don't worry about typos, my bifocals keep getting in the way so I may have alot too
Azalea pots look just like regular clay but are squat (wider and not so deep). They don't already have holes in sides...other than one drainhole thats all they offer. Some folks sell slitted orchid pots (some are regular and some are the azalea squat size) but they are getting harder and harder to find. This past year at an orchid show they were selling regular clay pots drilled with holes...I figured I could do that myself. Clay orchid pots are hard to come by in some places (like mine) and when you do find them they are not cheap. Honestly, it's cheaper to buy regular clay pots and drill them myself, and I can put the holes right where I want them.

Shann~

>>
My 2012 Grow Area<<

Last edited by Shannara; 06-07-2011 at 07:21 PM.
Greybeard (06-20-2011)
Old 06-19-2011, 05:42 PM
V.I.P Member

This is my one month update. I have a new leaf growing. Woot! Other than that not much activity on this little guy.

Anyone else have any activity on theirs? I know Syndas bloomed. Was very pretty!

Shann~

>>
My 2012 Grow Area<<
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Shannara For This Useful Post:
Filb (06-19-2011), orchids4me (06-19-2011), syndywindy (06-20-2011)
Old 06-19-2011, 07:54 PM

I forgot to add photos of my little guy!

Here is my little Holco, arrived 6/13. It has a tiny new leaf popping out I think and I've seen some good root growth.
I am very pleased with how it looks. I'm keeping it in its current pot like I'm doing with the rest of my challenge plants for now.

orchids4me (06-19-2011), Shannara (06-19-2011)
Old 06-19-2011, 09:23 PM

@Rachel- yours looks great lots of leaves very healthy and full looking
@shann, congrats on the new leaf. Not so what did you call it ..spindly anymore
My update- nada yet they are the same and settling in.

Daisy 2003 -2013

Emmaye
Shannara (06-19-2011)
Old 06-22-2011, 11:32 AM

Here is a picture of mine now as all three blooms are open. It is such a graceful looking plant and the way the blooms hang makes it even more so.
Attached Thumbnails
dscn1957.jpg  

Synda

Last edited by syndywindy; 06-23-2011 at 08:14 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to syndywindy For This Useful Post:
Filb (06-22-2011), Greybeard (06-23-2011), Shannara (06-22-2011)
Old 11-15-2011, 12:15 AM
V.I.P Member

I am sorry to report that this project plant was also lost to black rot. I will still keep up with the thread but am embarrassed to say that the plant had to be trashed recently as the rot on this type of orchid can't be cut out since it only had one growth.

Everyone else please keep updating us on your progress.

Shann~

>>
My 2012 Grow Area<<
Old 11-15-2011, 12:19 AM

Quote:
I am sorry to report that this project plant was also lost to black rot. I will still keep up with the thread but am embarrassed to say that the plant had to be trashed recently as the rot on this type of orchid can't be cut out since it only had one growth.

Shann~
No, no, no, shann lol
I had 3 of them in my pot.
Pm me your addy I will send you one
Emmaye

Daisy 2003 -2013

Emmaye
Shannara (11-15-2011)
Old 11-15-2011, 01:52 AM
V.I.P Member

Thanked 3,231 Times in 1,555 Posts
BGGraham1 is on a distinguished road
Emmaye! You so totally rock!!!

http://brigittesorchids.blogspot.com/
Old 11-15-2011, 12:59 PM

Quote:

Shann~
Is there a dislike button?

Emmaye you really are too sweet.
I always forget to post my updates. Maybe I will go photograph my little guy now.
It got sunburned back in August I think. I've since moved it to my little grow tent. Its leaves have gotten a bit purple as a result.
Attached Thumbnails
holco-11-15.jpg   holco-11-15a.jpg  

Last edited by Filb; 11-15-2011 at 01:43 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Filb For This Useful Post:
Shannara (11-17-2011)
Old 11-16-2011, 11:52 PM

stefpix is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Drill Bit Info

I have a direct link for the drill bit at Lowes. The brand is Kobalt and I have the 1/2" and 5/16" glass and tile bit.

The one they sell at Home Depot for glass I also tried but it wasn't nearly as good. As for using this Kobalt bit...the slower you drill the smoother the holes. I kinda went crazy fast so my holes aren't as neat as they could have been. Keep some water nearby to cool it down if you will be drilling a lot of holes.

Shann~
Shann
I drilled holes in the past and it was such a time consuming thing. But I had a drill bit from HD. wonder if it is a faster / easier process with the drill bit you have. It may be good to soak the pot in water overnight before drilling.

Anyway I noticed that pots with holes may crack apart after a few months if you drill too many holes too close one to tthe other.

best
stefano
The Following User Says Thank You to stefpix For This Useful Post:
Shannara (11-17-2011)
Old 12-03-2011, 08:45 PM

bumpman is on a distinguished road
My Oak Hills mounted H. wangii is now spiking (in my paludarium) I'll post pics as they develop some more. (I kept it at 12:12 hour light cycle during Sept and Oct then switched to a 16:8 L/D cycle in Nov. Day temp 83 F; night temp 70 F. 50-70% H. Weekly weakly half-strength fert.)
The Following User Says Thank You to bumpman For This Useful Post:
Shannara (12-03-2011)
Old 11-24-2012, 06:02 PM

November Update!

I was reminded of this project due to the many mentions of Holcoglossum in the forums lately, so thank you!
I thought it was due for an update so I took some quick photos of my (not so little anymore) Holco!

The growing setup. It is as close to my t5s as physically possible without touching and gets 16 hours of light a day.

That's a half gallon milk jug for size. I'd say it's pretty close to a foot long now!

Roots!

Hope to see everyone else's progress now too!
orchidea (11-24-2012)

« Species loss | - »