Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > orchidgeeks growing project #1 > Phalaenopsis Naples Night

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2008, 03:13 PM
V.I.P Member
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thanked 1,239 Times in 532 Posts
jerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond repute
Update on control plant Phal Naples Nights

April 19th I posted that 3 of the ten plants I had for control were spiking. I sold 2 of the spiking plants and kept this one.

They had been in a plastic bag for 10 days while they went to two different outdoor shows. That kind of heat and humidity often damages plants but this time it produced 3 spikes.

Since that time I have been fighting heat that dries the plants as fast as I water. Even growing in 100% sphag and watering at least 3 times a week, they are suffering.

The spike was 3 inches on April 19th and is still 3 inches. The roots are not as nice as they ere the first day. The plant will do OK and flower and grow but it could be doing better.

Compare this to Brandon's photo of one of these three
in his care. The April 25th photo is about a 4 inch spike and the May 20 is 6 inches and buds are forming.

http://www.orchidgeeks.com/forum/pha...d-melinda.html

The purpose of this project was to compare different growing methods on similar plants and this is a perfect example of plant's response to good and bad care.

Also compare this to the Den Cathy Beck Update and later I will post an Encyclia Update. These plants take drying out and the uneven watering has not set them back.