Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > orchidgeeks growing project #1 > Phalaenopsis amboinensis

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2008, 03:47 PM
Super Moderator Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

brookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of light
Phalaenopsis amboinensis

This is my project thread on Phal. amboinensis. I recieved my plant 4/3/08, a Thursday. The leaves were slightly flexed from shipping. One leaf (looked to be the oldest) showing some light mottling. Four leaves approx. 2.5 inches in length. Watered after unpacking, tepid water treated with Supethrive. Sprayed, then soaked 30 minutes. Followed with cinnamon spray.

Watered again 4/8/08. Sprayed, then soaked 30 min. No fertilizer, sprayed with cinnamon spray. Because of the position of the leaves, the crown tends to retain water, so I tipped it on it's side to dry.

At the moment I have not decided on the medium that I am going to use, so it has not been repotted. This also gives the plant some time to adjust to my conditions after the stress of travel. I am planning a repot within a month of recieving it.
Old 04-11-2008, 01:56 AM

brookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of light
Okay so today is one week from arrival. I don't think there is much growth, but it is holding it's own. I am repotting to sphag tomorrow. I will take pics then also.
Attached Thumbnails
1week2.jpg   1-week.jpg  
Old 04-23-2008, 02:00 AM

It has been almost 2 weeks since my last post. I repotted my plant into sphag, because upon depotting, the roots were hmmmm...less than desirable. They looked about like the ones from Mike's post. I decided upon sphag as a possible short term solution. My last batch of sphag just isn't cutting it for me, so this will probably be two or three months in this, then when I see some healthier roots-repotted. You can see in the pics the roots poking out, nice and green, this is a dramatic improvement already over what they did look like when I removed them from their old mix. I decided not to measure, but it looks like it has a small amount of growth, even the weird mottled leaf.
Attached Thumbnails
99.jpg   999.jpg  
Old 04-23-2008, 05:33 AM
Executive Senior Member

BillC is on a distinguished road
Hi Brook, unfortunately I am not able to take part in the project but I think your plant looks good and healthy. I will follow the growth if you continue to post pics and look forward to your first bloom.

Bill
Old 04-23-2008, 02:33 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

PhalPal is a jewel in the roughPhalPal is a jewel in the roughPhalPal is a jewel in the roughPhalPal is a jewel in the rough
Brook my roots are very questionable also and my leaves are beginning to mottle. I like to mount Phal species, it seems to suit them best, but I couldn't with such poor roots. It will be interesting to see how many of them survive and if so, how they were grown.
Old 04-23-2008, 04:10 PM

Aw, thanks Bill that's sweet of you.

Connie, I was shocked at the roots, especially considering the order that I got from Oak Hill for my B-day was in such great shape. My stuartiana had great roots, and was about the same size as this one when I got it (I actually think it was smaller). The stuartiana has almost doubled in size. I may have to put up some comparison pics of the stuartiana on arrival, and now with the amboinensis. That mottled leaf has been like that since I got it. The other leaves are shiny, and it is dull and mottled, really strange, it actually looks like Neem oil damage to me. The amboinensis is taking a long time to adjust, but the gersenii (which also had issues on arrival) is doing very well and it was really, really small when I got it. Just a big mystery. My Koell. is doing amazing.
Old 05-16-2008, 12:51 AM

It's been a few weeks since I have posted anything, and I was ahem reminded very kindly by another member that I was behind. Little ambi is growing, even the crazy leaf. It is getting bigger, and the leaves are looking good. You can see a nice green root poking out in the pic (that is still attached to a giant piece of bark I can't get out), there is also a couple of nicks on the leaves that have become apparant as it is growing, that it had when I got it. I will get a new measurement soon, it seems that a little elf has run off with my tape measure
Attached Thumbnails
ambi.jpg   ambi2.jpg  
Old 05-16-2008, 08:31 AM
V.I.P Member

sandra is on a distinguished road
Brook, your plant looks really great, very healthy. I'm almost jealous. OK, I am jealous.

I bought mine on impulse through ebay a while back and not when we were all ordering from Oak Hill....first mistake. I've got the ugliest and smallest one in the group. It came with nicks and a cut in the top leaf but potentially, all cosmetics that (hopefully) will be overcome by good growing.

Keep posting updates. You've encouraged me!
Old 05-16-2008, 09:16 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

articuno75 is on a distinguished road
LOL, In comparison, Brook's is like the bulldog and mine is like the Chihuahua.
Attached Thumbnails
001-335.jpg  

All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed: in life that which is unnoticed has the most power.
Old 06-17-2008, 03:09 PM

Well the Bulldog has grown!! The newest leaf has reached 3.5", and it has started a new leaf-yes! I have a pic to show measurement on it. The leaves are so shiny on this baby, I am going to thank cinnamon extract lol. I just watered little ambi, and told her to keep growing, then I tucked her back in with her friends.
Attached Thumbnails
100_22571.jpg   100_22591.jpg   100_22601.jpg  
Old 06-17-2008, 04:15 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Thanked 3,205 Times in 1,285 Posts
mayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of light
Okay - I'm impressed!
Can you please remind us what kind of conditions you grow this plant in?
As I recall you grow your plants in a greenhouse? Is this correct? Can you tell us what the temperature and humidity range would be?
You are obviously doing something very well that most likely would be of value to some of the rest of us - mine is doing OK, but doesn't hold a candle to your growth (still cool and rainy out here in Oregon - still waiting for the summer warm-up!). I doubt I will ever be able to match your results growing in a home, but will at least hope for reasonable results during the warm summer months.
Great growing........
Old 06-17-2008, 04:46 PM

No greenhouse Mike. This is growing on my desk under a regular fluoresent light from a lamp. The lamp has these octopus-type arms that I just scope right over the plants. Humidity runs 62% + average with the a/c on, and temps are kept at 72 F-75 F. It's in sphag moss and I water when it is very close to completely dry.
Old 06-17-2008, 05:15 PM
V.I.P Member

Thanked 2,686 Times in 1,127 Posts
psyc1210 is on a distinguished road
Very nice!! Looks very good!!

Old 06-17-2008, 10:32 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

mayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of light
brookn - OK, now I'm REALLY impressed! You are an inspiration with this plant! Thanks for sharing.
Old 06-18-2008, 01:35 AM

Thanks Mike, that's very kind of you. You should see the stuartiana I got from Oak Hill, it's on the desk also, and is growing like a weed. I think they enjoy me hovering over them, and talking to them lol.
Old 06-24-2008, 07:55 PM

Thought I would update the new leaf growing. This plant has really hit it's stride, I also have a new nub (pretty sure it's a root). I am also, after taking about 4000 pics with the new cam, getting the close-up thing down
Attached Thumbnails
100_24111.jpg   100_24144.jpg   100_24151.jpg   100_24291.jpg  
Old 06-24-2008, 08:02 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Thanked 1,954 Times in 1,166 Posts
patticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of light
It looks great, Brookn! Nice growing! I think it likes you!
Mine is doing pretty good, too. I'll update soon.
Old 06-25-2008, 01:14 AM

I hope it likes blooming when it gets big enough lol. I need some blooms hee hee.
Old 07-15-2008, 12:02 AM

It was time for a repot as it has been about 3 months, and the sphag was breaking down. Some pics....

1. before repot

2. roots after depot (the brown ones are the ones it came with)

3. another view of the roots

4-7. after repot
Attached Thumbnails
100_25971.jpg   100_26101.jpg   100_26121.jpg   100_26151.jpg   100_26161.jpg   100_26171.jpg   100_26181.jpg  
Old 07-15-2008, 01:29 AM
V.I.P Member

myorchid is on a distinguished road
That looks great! Excellent job on growing that!
Old 07-15-2008, 02:07 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

patticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of light
He looks like a happy camper!
Old 07-15-2008, 11:08 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Good job. Happy indeed!
Old 07-15-2008, 09:54 PM

Thanks everyone! So far so good. I was kinda surprised by that fat long root when I depotted, it was cool looking though.
Old 07-16-2008, 12:56 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

It looks good! Still giving it the same conditions? (Mine still hasn't done a darn thing! )

All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed: in life that which is unnoticed has the most power.
Old 07-16-2008, 01:12 AM

Same conditions, unless you count changing it's position under the light lol.
Old 09-25-2008, 02:11 AM

I figured it was time to do an update. She's chugging along on a new leaf, and seems to be pretty happy. It's almost time again for new sphag, it seems to start breaking down around 3 months. Next repot it's going in with sphag and perlite, to help keep the sphag from compacting as much. I have lately been explaining the value of earning her keep, and letting her know that I would not be adverse to some blooms around Feb. I have agreed to paint her a special big kid pot, as long she starts concentrating on growing up and blooming. lol

Old 09-25-2008, 04:04 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

How funny...I think she heard you and is thinking about sending you a nice spike in a few months. Now tell her to pass the word!
Old 09-25-2008, 08:36 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Brooke she looks Fabulous. I need you to do some positive coaching for mine.

Old 09-26-2008, 01:32 AM

Tell yours I'll paint it a big kid pot too.
Old 09-29-2008, 12:22 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

PhalPal is a jewel in the roughPhalPal is a jewel in the roughPhalPal is a jewel in the roughPhalPal is a jewel in the rough
Brookn have you ever tried tree fern instead of perlite to help with sprag compaction??? I love it! It doesn't break down quickly and won't 'float' to the top like perlite. I get two scoops from repotme.com and it lasts forever; I am even putting it in my phal/coir mix now.
Old 09-30-2008, 12:56 AM

Connie I have tried the tree fern, and I liked it. The problem is, well, my budget. I do have some extra $ this month, and am planning to get an order for the fall to tide me over. It's just doing an order through one place for one thing isn't cost effective for me. The supplies that I will be splurging on I am ordering from the same place as the orchids to combine with shipping. If I just buy the tree fern, it means I get less orchids, so....I am making do with perlite for now. Sad I know, but someday with degree in hand, there will be a payoff. Right now it's corporate drudgery and lots of work for no $. Oh that and kids, they are expensive! When I get the degree, and a job that I want (versus what I need) I am going to order what I want when I want it hee hee.
Old 09-30-2008, 02:03 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Thanked 1,245 Times in 759 Posts
solay is on a distinguished road
I know what you mean about the $$$. I see so many orchids/supplies I want but can't afford. It's so hard to budget. I'm so bad at it too. Your Phal. looks great. Nice shiny green leaves.
Old 06-14-2009, 04:18 AM

Well, I figured out why she grew a stunted leaf, too much light. So I reduced the light, and promptly got a nice big leaf. Then my son was handing the plant to me after I watered everyone, he thought I had it I thought he was holding on, and plant upside down in the floor. The new leaf has grown nice and large, but all the leaves on that side are damaged. The weird mottled leaf is still there, along with the rest of the leaves she came with. I repotted a couple of weeks ago.

Old 06-14-2009, 07:17 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

It looks great! I need to re-pot mine as well. I haven't done it since I received it! Now if we can just get these little guys to bloom!
Old 06-14-2009, 01:49 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Brook I didn't know phals would throw stunted leaves with too much light; talk about learning something new every day! I have really pushed the light levels this year to what they would tolerate without burning and I got a lot of smaller leaves. NOW I know why - Thanks!

Do you find this to be the case with hybrids as well as species????
Old 06-14-2009, 02:48 PM

Patti-I repot this pretty frequently because I keep it in sphag, and the sphag breaks down on me. If I had it in Schultz, I would wait much longer to repot.

Connie some do some don't lol. It depends on the species, and the background of the hybrid. If you want I can tell you what I know from the species that I have. The only thing is I can't get real scientific other than to say this one likes more, this one likes less lol. I don't measure footcandles or anything, I just move them around to see which one does better where. If that would help, I would be happy to give you my observations plant by plant. I will add that I believe Brooke said that increasing light gives smaller leaves, but better blooms. The thing with the ambionensis is the leaf was so stunted (as you can see from the pics) that I felt it would be happier with less light. It sits with what I feel is very low light compared to most of the Phals, and it grows better that way. I may however sacrifice blooms in the lower light, time will tell as it matures I guess. Let me know, I will be happy to share. I find that Baker's culture sheets are also helpful in determining what they like also.