Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > orchidgeeks growing project #1 > Phalaenopsis amboinensis

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2008, 09:00 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Vivienne is just really niceVivienne is just really niceVivienne is just really niceVivienne is just really niceVivienne is just really nice
Phal. amboinensis

Here we go... I'm looking forward to following the progress of this Project!

Phal amboinensis
- Leaf Count - 3 (with one very small leaf yellowing)
- Leaf Span - 4"
- Growing Conditions: Cork mounted with sphag. Hanging on South wall of Atrium (only ambient light). 50-60 % humidity constant.

Arrival

Mounted
Old 04-09-2008, 10:44 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Thanked 3,205 Times in 1,285 Posts
mayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of light
Looks great Vivienne! Almost makes me want to try mounting mine too - but if everyone mounted their plants we wouldn't learn as much? The plant looks like a twin to mine so it will be indeed interesting to compare notes this fall and see what happens.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:48 AM
Site Administrator
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thanked 3,229 Times in 1,356 Posts
fred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond repute
congrats with the mount Vivienne..very nice job
Old 04-09-2008, 10:53 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Vivienne is just really niceVivienne is just really niceVivienne is just really niceVivienne is just really niceVivienne is just really nice
THANKS!! It's going to be very interesting to follow. Looking forward to what everyone does with their little babies.
Old 04-09-2008, 11:03 PM
V.I.P Member

sandra is on a distinguished road
Your mount looks great Vivienne.

I think I may be over my head with my species....way too care intensive for my overall inexperience. I am probably going to order this Phal. from Oak Hill and join in here as well.
Old 04-10-2008, 12:14 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

articuno75 is on a distinguished road
Your leaf yellowing too? I have a second leaf on mine doing the same thing. It has to be the stress. I don't know. Do you have your species Phals in Spagh? I can't remember. I'm thinking about doing that for this one instead of putting it in my Aussie mix. Something different, but still debating.

All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed: in life that which is unnoticed has the most power.
Old 04-10-2008, 12:34 AM
Super Moderator Photobucket

brookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of light
It's funny, cause it looked like the leaf has actually grown, but I know it's going to drop. The others look okay for now, nice and shiny, light green. I am still deciding on the medium. I was actually thinking s/h, cause these like to be fairly moist, but I am scared lol.

I think it's got to get out of the medium soon though, I noticed since I recieved it that the top of the medium has this white fuzzy mold thing going on (ew and coming out the bottom of the pot). The cinnamon is not killing it. I was hoping it would. I repotted some of my smaller Oak Hill purchases recently, and I know the medium was holding too much moisture and breaking down, I also got two of everything in those (they fell apart 2 plants each pot), Cym, & both Oncs. I am patiently waiting for my kingie to finish blooming as it's medium is shot also. Some of the plants had nice new medium though, and I have not repotted those yet.

The roots look really good, green and plump. So the big question is s/h, or sphag? My other species Phals are in sphag with the exception of my stuartiana, cause I have found it likes things a little drier (it is growing like crazy). I figure my hybrids will probably be here tomorrow hopefully, so it looks like I am getting pressure to repot soon .

Last edited by brookn; 04-10-2008 at 12:38 AM.
Old 04-10-2008, 12:39 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

I'm at a loss with this one. I too am debating on s/h, but then I thought of you and was pretty sure that you had your species in spagh. I'm getting ready to lose another leaf and well,,,,the panic button is warmed up and ready to be pushed. I just got this on Friday mind you. Total shellshock here you think? Come to think of it, these are warm growers.....My apartment did get a little cool for the past couple of days. I'm wondering if that is the problem???

All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed: in life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

Last edited by articuno75; 04-10-2008 at 12:41 AM.
Old 04-10-2008, 12:43 AM

brookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of light
Does yours look like it has the white mold? Look at the bottom of the pot. I am tempted to yank mine out of the pot now, and leave it bare root until it gets potted. Don't panic yet, it is not uncommon for sulking. I think these guys got cold in shipping. How many leaves do you have total?
Old 04-10-2008, 12:48 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Started out with 5, now 4, going on 3 Just looked for the mold and I didn't see any on mine, but that's not to say what's on the inside either....I think I'm going to repot and do the S/H or Spagh. I just don't like what I'm seeing, but I'm afraid to do anything for I might send it to an early grave.

The roots look good and everything.(On the outside) It's just giving me attitude.

Last edited by articuno75; 04-10-2008 at 10:19 AM.
Old 04-10-2008, 12:51 AM

You are not going to kill it, I have faith in you. Looks like repot is in order. The leaves may just have been ready to go, my bellina faithfully puts out a new leaf and loses and old one. These are just young, it will adjust. I say once you repot and clean it all up, and check it out, keep it warm. These like really warm temps, where they are from it is warm all the time.
Old 04-10-2008, 01:04 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Fingers crossed, praying to orchid gods....

The more I think about it, I think I might do the S/H.

Old 04-10-2008, 10:09 AM
Member Photobucket

FLaCo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by articuno75 View Post
Fingers crossed, praying to orchid gods....

The more I think about it, I think I might do the S/H.

Just do it! You can make it work!

I guess I was the only one that noticed that the Phal was 'ok'. I waited around 4 days before repotting. I repotted it back into a bark mix with polished stones on bottom in a plastic pot with good drainage.

Last edited by FLaCo; 04-10-2008 at 10:11 AM.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:12 AM
Member Photobucket

FLaCo is on a distinguished road
looks really good Vivi. You have got skillz.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:32 AM
Executive Senior Member

Sharyn is just fantasticSharyn is just fantastic
Viv: Your mount looks great and the phal looks nice and healthy.

Did I read somewhere on one of the threads that this phal needs to be kept a bit warmer? If so, I think I'm in trouble. We're still waiting for some spring weather.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:45 AM

Sharyn it's habitat is Indonesia, the temps there stay from approx. 72 F-89 F with lots of rain.

Viv, it looks great.
Old 04-10-2008, 03:22 PM
Executive Senior Member

Sharyn is just fantasticSharyn is just fantastic
Jo Beth: That looks great. May I ask what size container you used? It also appears that you have some slits on the sides of the pot. Now what do you do? Place it in another container? Sorry, but I haven't done S/H type of growing. My only attempt failed badly.
Old 04-10-2008, 05:07 PM
Senior Member Photobucket

Rocinante is on a distinguished road
Nice looking mount, Vivienne! I hear you're still getting snow out there... hurry up spring, right?
Old 04-10-2008, 05:42 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

John - you have no idea. Yesterday we had 3 seasons in one day. 60F, then breezy, then thunderstorms, then snow. Today is miserable. Very strong winds, frigid temps and horizontal snow/ice/rain. Nasty!
Old 04-10-2008, 11:03 PM

dipasquo is on a distinguished road
I thought those were funny flakes in the medium I got. Gold, eh? Is that meant to alter some particular element of the growing environment?
Old 04-11-2008, 12:19 AM

The "gold" flakes look like micca to me, I could be wrong, but the first time I saw them that was my first thought.

Well, the repot looks great. How did those roots look? I need details, please!! I can see the leaf in the pic, and it is going. The other leaves however look wonderful. I am thinking mine is going into pure sphag, my gut says to do it. As much as I want to try s/h, I am afraid ( I'm asceerd Jenny ), I am thinking about trying a Dend. to start off. I have one that has not poduced any new growths, but lots of roots, and I think that might be the first victim lol. I think your little booger is going to do great for you, I have faith.
Old 04-11-2008, 12:41 AM

made4engineering is on a distinguished road
Mica... otherwise known as vermiculite
Old 04-11-2008, 01:06 AM

Ah so...I was just going on my 6th grade geology, I did not realize that it was also known as vermiculite. Thanks for the heads up. I do know that it also puts the sparkle in some makeup, though the new trend is to be mica-free .
Old 04-11-2008, 11:36 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

mayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of light
I was also wondering about the comments of psyc1210 - why are you all mixing your plants together in this same thread?
Unfortunately it has not been very clearly spelled out due to various reasons.
Correct me (anyone) if I'm wrong - but I think each of us should start our own thread under this subforum section, with our own pictures and comments - and then other peoples comments would mainly be referring to the thread starters information - unless of course a picture was added nearby for comparison purposes - which is obviously going to happen. LOL Clear as mud - Hmmmm.

Last edited by mayres; 04-11-2008 at 11:43 AM.
Old 04-11-2008, 11:44 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Mike~My stuff was under my own sub folder and I had some of these comments under Brookn's. Is there a ghost fooling around here?? These had to have been blended sometime early in the wee hours.

Old 04-11-2008, 11:56 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

I don't know how this happened either but I think they were trying to get all the arrival photos together in one thread. That would be much easier than having to go to 20 or so different threads to see them.
Old 04-11-2008, 12:19 PM
V.I.P Member

Thanked 2,686 Times in 1,127 Posts
psyc1210 is on a distinguished road
I thought we were going to each have our own threads that we continually update??

Old 04-11-2008, 12:24 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

My arrival photos aren't even here. I don't know where they went. I have to go and find them now. As they were posted somewhere. I think they got lost.

That's okay. I have them somewhere around here.

Old 04-11-2008, 12:33 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

JoBeth - Yes, I agree. There are three people with their own threads started now - Vivienne, Sharyn and FLaCo. Fred must be playing musical chairs with some of these threads?
Old 04-11-2008, 01:14 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

There once was another post that suggested we do away with the individual member threads (where there would be 20+ Phal amboinensis topics to read through)... and change it to Threads like... Phal. amboinensis Arrivals, Phal. amboinensis repots and mounts, Phal. amboinensis 1 month update. Then we would only have 3-5 threads to read through. It would make it much easier for comparison.

I think Fred was trying to make this happen and things became confused. Regardless, we'll get it all worked out soon enough.
Old 04-11-2008, 01:58 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Yep - remember that. This was when the forum was initially structured by member instead of by plant. So the next question is do we each have a thread under the plant or as you say - work off each others thread - which would require Fred to put the other starts onto the end of this one? Hopefully Fred will chime in here soon and lay out the structure before it gets out of hand or more difficult than already? We can all make it work either way, as long as somehow the format gets communicated so we don't have people going in multiple directions at once. Maybe a PM from Fred with directions would be good?
Old 04-11-2008, 06:42 PM

I think the intention was for each of us to have our own separate thread, in groups under the same plant. This way it is easier for each if us to check our thread, post progress, etc. and all our information is in one spot accessible to each different grower. I feel that if each of us were to share a thread on our plants it would get long and confusing.
Old 04-11-2008, 10:48 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookn View Post
The "gold" flakes look like micca to me, I could be wrong, but the first time I saw them that was my first thought.

Well, the repot looks great. How did those roots look? I need details, please!! I can see the leaf in the pic, and it is going. The other leaves however look wonderful. I am thinking mine is going into pure sphag, my gut says to do it. As much as I want to try s/h, I am afraid ( I'm asceerd Jenny ), I am thinking about trying a Dend. to start off. I have one that has not poduced any new growths, but lots of roots, and I think that might be the first victim lol. I think your little booger is going to do great for you, I have faith.
The roots didn't look that bad, but I have to agree. The stuff that it is in now is just retaining too much moisture, even now for me. I did have to remove a couple of bad roots, but nothing too serious. Yeah, I don't blame you on the S/H. I had my moments. I just redid one of my Miltassias into S/H. I'm telling ya, the stuff is just as addicting as the orchids I think you'll like once you try it though.

Old 04-11-2008, 11:44 PM
V.I.P Member

sandra is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivienne View Post
I don't know how this happened either but I think they were trying to get all the arrival photos together in one thread. That would be much easier than having to go to 20 or so different threads to see them.
There's a sub-folder in the Species project section called, "Arrival of Species."
Old 08-24-2008, 09:07 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Trying to play catch up... so here's the latest with my Phal. amboinensis.

I removed it from the mount and now have it potted up in sphag. And really, that's about it. Talk about a SLOW grower. I have a new leaf but that would be it. Some update - huh!?! LOL
Old 08-24-2008, 09:27 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Thanked 1,954 Times in 1,166 Posts
patticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of light
This plant isn't setting any records for speed in growth, so don't feel bad. Mine is starting a second leaf, but it's very small.
Old 08-25-2008, 02:11 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

A second leaf?! I just now got a start of a leaf! LOL Patticake what in the world are you feeding this?

Old 08-25-2008, 06:47 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Thanked 1,954 Times in 1,166 Posts
patticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by articuno75 View Post
A second leaf?! I just now got a start of a leaf! LOL Patticake what in the world are you feeding this?
Once in a while a little worm tea, OR better-gro orchid food OR super thrive. All in weak dilutions- but usually it's just water. It's under 2 T-12 gro-lights. It's still going very slowly!