Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > orchidgeeks growing project #1 > Phalaenopsis amboinensis

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2008, 08:36 PM
V.I.P Member

sandra is on a distinguished road
P.amboinensis-Sandra

Probably the last one here to join in the project and decided to purchase this (on impulse) when I saw it on ebay from Larry's Orchids.

I was a bit taken back when I opened the box. The leaves are less than pristine, lots of nicks. There's a fair amount of healthy roots but there were a fair amount of dead roots too. I gave it a 1/2 hr. soak in SuperThrive and potted in 50/50 bark (w/charcoal, perlite) and coir.

I knew the measurements before I received it but I didn't conceive of it being so tiny. This is going to be one, very long project....

Out of the box....

Repotted and ready to grow:
Old 04-30-2008, 10:55 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thanked 3,205 Times in 1,285 Posts
mayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of light
Other than being a little beat up that plant is not far off from what the rest of us ended up with. Will be following your progress!
Old 04-30-2008, 11:14 PM
V.I.P Member

Thanked 2,686 Times in 1,127 Posts
psyc1210 is on a distinguished road
Larry's Orchids is where I bought a Milt off ebay, and it came frozen, and almost dead. I also got a Phal hieroglyphica that was in semi-good shape...but I don't plan on buying from them anymore.

Old 04-30-2008, 11:24 PM
V.I.P Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyc1210 View Post
I don't plan on buying from them anymore.
Either do I!
Old 05-01-2008, 02:47 AM
Super Moderator Photobucket

brookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of light
Larry's offers interesting plants, the thing that has kept me from buying is that he never puts a pic of the actual plant in the auction. I am glad now that I didn't spend my money there. Sandra, it looks on par with the rest of ours. I think it looks really cute, and honestly it had better roots than mine started with.
Old 05-01-2008, 06:27 AM
V.I.P Member

Tobi is just fantasticTobi is just fantasticTobi is just fantastic
Sandra, you did a great job repotting the little guy. It may take awhile, but I'm sure it
will grow and bloom for you.
Old 05-01-2008, 12:07 PM
V.I.P Member

Sandra, when I emailed Larry regarding my Milt looking like death, he wanted me to cut the leaves off at the base, and just leave the roots, and send those back in an envelope. I said no thanks, I wasn't going to kill it like that, that I'd just take my chances and see if it survivies. It had very few roots to work with...but right now, it seems to be growing roots very well, and there is even a new very tiny growth starting.

I had also ordered another Milt from someone else on ebay, and that one wasn't frozen or anything, but the roots were almost all rotted. I was very unimpressed by both.

I know that Orchid Gallery has amboinensis available, and when I got my Phal Yu Pin Pearl from them, the roots were PERFECT. I have never seen better roots before. Maybe get one from them, so that you can have a good one to start with, and see what the difference is in growth from one that didn't look so good in the beginning. I'm just giving excuses for you to get another lol

Old 05-01-2008, 01:31 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

PhalPal is a jewel in the roughPhalPal is a jewel in the roughPhalPal is a jewel in the roughPhalPal is a jewel in the rough
Just an observation, but it seems that NONE of us has a Phal amb with good roots and we have ordered them from various sources, including our trusted Oak Hill. Does anyone think this may be a difficult plant to grow and the usually mixes do not suit it?? What do all of you think?

I was going to mount mine but changed my mind when I saw the condition of the roots; I may just go ahead and do it anyway.
Old 05-01-2008, 06:24 PM
V.I.P Member

Thanked 6,637 Times in 2,844 Posts
Brooke is on a distinguished road
PhalPal I have two ambo and they don't grow any differently than any other phal. I don't consider them to be a picky species. Both of mine are potted, one in CHC mix and one is sphag/tree fern but they also do great as a mount too.

If you mount it, you can monitor the root growth much easier.

Brooke
Old 05-01-2008, 07:29 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

PhalPal is a jewel in the roughPhalPal is a jewel in the roughPhalPal is a jewel in the roughPhalPal is a jewel in the rough
My roots from Oak Hill were very poor. I don't like to mount anything without decent roots, preferably active root growth.
Old 05-01-2008, 07:36 PM

made4engineering is on a distinguished road
Thats more roots than mine came with... Although I can't complain because it was less roots to damage when I mounted it, and mine has really taken off anyways.
Old 05-01-2008, 08:20 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Thanked 1,954 Times in 1,166 Posts
patticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of light
My first Phal. amboinensis came from Oak Hill like everyone else's. The roots were a little on the whimpy side, but o.k.- It's doing well now, a new root growing, and a new leaf starting from the top.

I bought a second from Larry's orchids to mount and see the difference. It came to me much smaller that the Oak Hill one, but I mounted it and so far it hasn't done anything, but hasn't died, either!

I've ordered several of the plants that I have from Larry's. During the winter to boot! I had them enclose a heat pak with the order. I've been VERY happy with everything that I have gotten from them. I was treated very well when I spoke on the phone with them also. Their plants were small... but so were the prices! All that I've gotten from them are doing well- new growth, etc.- Except for the little Phal. amb.- and that's pretty new.
Old 05-01-2008, 09:45 PM
V.I.P Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyc1210 View Post
Sandra, when I emailed Larry regarding my Milt looking like death, he wanted me to cut the leaves off at the base, and just leave the roots, and send those back in an envelope.
psyc1210, I received an email from them this morning offering me a full refund (including original s/h and additional charges to get it back to them). They also told me to cut the roots and dispose of them and to send the plant back, rootless. I can't figure out why they'd want it sent back this way? but I've decided to keep it. It's smaller than the ones from Oak Hill and definitely not in 'pretty' condition but I'll make it pretty! It's the one I ended up with and I'll just make it work, that's all. I don't want to bother sending it back, this little guy needs me now.

brookn, I know, they never posts photos of the plants and it's stopped me numerous times from buying from them. I saw 'amboinensis', read the measurements and it all seemed to fit....Ha! Were the others you bought in the past, as small as these? How big do they get and how long do you think it will be before these are blooming size? 10, 20 years?

patticake, I'm glad to hear favorable testimony from you about them. That makes me feel better. Thanks, I'm hopeful!
Old 05-01-2008, 10:16 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Vivienne is just really niceVivienne is just really niceVivienne is just really niceVivienne is just really niceVivienne is just really nice
Sandra - your little darling doesn't look any smaller than mine does and you have more leaves. Bet with that magical touch of yours you have blooms in no time!
Old 05-01-2008, 10:22 PM
V.I.P Member

That's exactly how I felt Sandra...I didn't want to kill it to send it back to them. Plus it was only like $10 total anyway.

Old 06-02-2008, 11:49 PM
V.I.P Member

Hands down, I win when it comes to having the ugliest, little P. amboinensis. This came from Larry's Orchids....Boo to Mr. Larry!

This is one ugly little plant. All these nicks were how this was received. Strange growth on this one top, larger leaf. I don't think it was a cut to begin with but just a strange growing pattern.

Anyway, it's growing a new leaf and lots of new root growth, as well.
Attached Thumbnails
og100-0022_img.jpg   og100-0009_img.jpg  
Old 06-02-2008, 11:53 PM
V.I.P Member

Soon you'll have new leaves to cover up those leaves with the boo-boos.

Good news is that my Milt from Larry's orchids has been growing roots like mad, and they are now through the bottom of the pot!! Yay!! It took about 5 months for that to happen. Now I bet you're baby Phal with perk up...even if it takes a while

Old 06-04-2008, 02:32 AM

berkeleysgr8 is on a distinguished road
I think amboinensis are smallish plants. At least all of mine are!
Old 06-04-2008, 04:12 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

patticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandra View Post
Hands down, I win when it comes to having the ugliest, little P. amboinensis. This came from Larry's Orchids....Boo to Mr. Larry!

This is one ugly little plant. All these nicks were how this was received. Strange growth on this one top, larger leaf. I don't think it was a cut to begin with but just a strange growing pattern.

Anyway, it's growing a new leaf and lots of new root growth, as well.
Sandra, Your Phal from Larry's is doing better than the one I got from him. My one from Oak Hill is doing well but, the one I got from Larry's that I mounted, isn't doing a thing. Not dying, but just sitting there.... Yours looks good! The new growth, etc. is a great sign!!
Old 06-04-2008, 09:09 AM
V.I.P Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by patticake View Post
Sandra, Your Phal from Larry's is doing better than the one I got from him. My one from Oak Hill is doing well but, the one I got from Larry's that I mounted, isn't doing a thing. Not dying, but just sitting there.... Yours looks good! The new growth, etc. is a great sign!!
But it's such a mess!!! I'm looking forward to some new leaves to cover up the ugly! Funny, reminds me of when I was little...everyone always commented to my father how much I looked like him. He would always reply by saying, "Poor thing, well, we'll just have to dress her nice."
Old 06-04-2008, 10:12 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Thanked 3,205 Times in 1,285 Posts
mayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandra View Post
He would always reply by saying, "Poor thing, well, we'll just have to dress her nice."
A new dress for Cinderella! YEA

Your new little phal will have a new "dress" (leaves) in no time too.......
Wish I could get some of that nice Florida weather here in cold rainy Oregon. I think summer came and left a few weeks ago?
Old 06-04-2008, 01:54 PM
Member Photobucket

FLaCo is on a distinguished road
It might take a bit longer than usual but I think the phal will be fine.
Old 06-04-2008, 05:10 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Too Funny! Mine from Larry's is pretty nicked up, too... Yours will look great in no time! You crack me up!
Old 06-04-2008, 05:14 PM
V.I.P Member

BOOOOOOOOO to LARRY'S ORCHIDS!!!!!!
Old 06-04-2008, 09:29 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Hey!! I looked at my baby from Larry's, today, it had a new growth starting! Finally!! It's VERY tiny, but it's there!!! You can see that mine wasn't in good shape, either....

I just ordered a seedling of a Zygopetalum cross from him- I have had great plants from him...The price is right for what you get....
Attached Thumbnails
imgp1592.jpg   imgp1593.jpg  
Old 06-04-2008, 10:24 PM
V.I.P Member

Yup, you've got a new leaf growing Patti. Great growing! That Phal. looks nice and healthy. I wish mine looked as plump as yours. Next plant I buy from Oak Hill, will definitely include an amboinensis, also. I did want to order a Coelogyne pandurata. Hmmm.....