Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > orchidgeeks growing project #1 > Phalaenopsis amboinensis

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2008, 02:45 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

PhalPal is a jewel in the roughPhalPal is a jewel in the roughPhalPal is a jewel in the roughPhalPal is a jewel in the rough
My Phalaenopsis amboinensis

I re-potted my Phal amboinensis tonight and I was not impressed with the roots. I only have a few and they are a little soft; I have only had it for five days. I soaked it in superthrive and worm tea and also put some rooting hormone on the little roots. I only had three leaves to begin with and I did have another Phal in the same shipment that got badly frost bitten. I hope it will be okay??
Old 04-19-2008, 10:14 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

PhalPal is a jewel in the roughPhalPal is a jewel in the roughPhalPal is a jewel in the roughPhalPal is a jewel in the rough
Here are my pictures two weeks after receiving and repotting. I'm still not real thrilled with the lack of vigor on this plant.
Attached Thumbnails
phal-amb10001.jpg   phalamb20001.jpg  
Old 04-19-2008, 11:08 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Thanked 1,954 Times in 1,166 Posts
patticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of light
Mine hasn't done much, either. (One way or the other) I think they just need a little time to adjust. Hopefully they'll kick it up soon.
Old 04-20-2008, 01:04 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Thanked 3,205 Times in 1,285 Posts
mayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of light
Mine doesn't look any different than the day I got it - and its been two weeks - I'm not really that surprised though - I expect not much is going to happen until the warm weather kicks in. My suspician (and it is only that based on what I've read) that in order to get these plants to really take off we would need to warm them up considerably - I'm talking 80's at least - which I'm certainly not going to provide with energy costs like they are. It will just have to wait until nature takes its course - which it looks like may be a long long time - today we were downtown walking in an inch of hail - looked like snow - this is April - right?
Old 04-20-2008, 01:15 AM

made4engineering is on a distinguished road
Mine has new root growth, and the little baby leaf I got with it is now as big as the leaf below it.... should have gone with the mount PhalPal...
Old 04-20-2008, 01:35 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

I have enough mounted Phals and so many of us are already mounting this one. Besides, I'm tired of watering them every day.
My concern has been with the condition of the roots when I received it. Mounting a Phal with poor root structure is certain doom.