Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > orchidgeeks growing project #1 > Phalaenopsis amboinensis

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2008, 01:16 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thanked 3,205 Times in 1,285 Posts
mayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of light
Mike's amboinensis

I got my species plants on Friday 3/28/08. On arrival day the plant looked like the following.
First hint of what I had to work with!
011a.jpg
All unwrapped and ready to place under my cheapie shop lights for the time being until I get time to repot.
014a.jpg
Okay - last Sunday I made the repot move. Unpotted my initial impression of this plant at this point can be summed up in one word (right or wrong) - FRAGILE.
128-040508-01a.jpg
Here is the same plant now put in coir mix. The outline of two of the leaves are just a touch yellow and make me a little nervous. I have all my fingers and toes crossed and am now waiting for warmer weather to kick in and give this baby a growing boost (today's cool snow, sleet, hail, rain, etc. was unbelievable - isn't this spring?).
128-041308-01a.jpg
The Following User Says Thank You to mayres For This Useful Post:
zaeem (06-17-2010)
Old 04-20-2008, 02:01 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

articuno75 is on a distinguished road
Mike~ If you look at your arrival photo, you can see that the yellowing had already started a bit around the edges. The flash of the camera picked it up and heightened the yellowing.

All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed: in life that which is unnoticed has the most power.
Old 04-20-2008, 02:34 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

mayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of light
Right you are about the yellowing Jenny. Hopefully it will not progress for awhile.......
Old 04-20-2008, 01:19 PM
Executive Senior Member

Sharyn is just fantasticSharyn is just fantastic
Mike: Mine also had a slight bit of yellowing. The bottom leaf fell off and I was also a little nervous. One of the other leaves had a bit of yellowing at the edges, like yours. I repotted mine in the coir mix, and it's doing fine now.
Old 04-20-2008, 01:46 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

I know you, Brookn, Connie, and I had some root issues.....

Is there anyone else that had not so impressive roots????

How much will this set the plants back on growth?

All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed: in life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

Last edited by articuno75; 04-20-2008 at 01:48 PM.
Old 04-20-2008, 03:47 PM

made4engineering is on a distinguished road
My roots were not spectacular either. I even cut some off that were still alive but dangling by a thread (you know the ones). Mine has been very vigorous since I mounted it though - everythings growing on it. I'll post pics after finals are over.
Old 05-27-2008, 10:54 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Well - as we all know, these orchids try our patience.....
After 38 days of living with me my little guy is finally showing signs of a new leaf! Except for one five day spell of very warm weather the rest of the days have been unseasonably cool - which I'm certain has not helped.
zaeem (06-17-2010)
Old 05-28-2008, 12:10 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Thanked 1,954 Times in 1,166 Posts
patticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of light
Isn't it great when that new little middle finally pops out? There's hope!!
Old 05-28-2008, 01:14 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Thanked 1,245 Times in 759 Posts
solay is on a distinguished road
Mike, I'm with you about small orchids. They look so fragile. I keep knocking them over and spilling all the mix. Too small for my clumsy hands. It looks like your plant is showing signs of life. Good growing!
Old 05-28-2008, 10:21 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Do you have it under more light along with the increased heat? My apartment stays around the 70s and mine hasn't budged.

Old 05-28-2008, 10:53 AM
Member Photobucket

FLaCo is on a distinguished road
Is it just me or are these seedlings taking forever!?
Old 05-28-2008, 12:30 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

I have mine about two inches from cheapie shop lights. I'm thinking that whenever summer arrives the heat will make them grow (?) - we're not there yet! I believe they would prefer to be in the 80's or even low 90's for optimal growth conditions. Some of you may remember a link I gave early last year regarding advice for commercial phal growers - http://www.hrt.msu.edu/faculty/Runkl...20part%201.pdf.
Note the part in here about what temperature to ideally grow these young plants! If you are interested in reading the rest of the article just replace the "201" portion of the link with 202, 203, & 204 - it is a four parter.

Last edited by mayres; 05-28-2008 at 12:43 PM.
Old 05-29-2008, 01:49 AM
Super Moderator Photobucket

Cynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond repute
Mike, sounds like you have the amboinensis much too close to the lights. Baker says 1000 to 1200 fc. My fluorescent lights are giving me 1500 fc at about a foot or more away. Remember, too much light will stress a Phal until some pathogen comes along and Kapow!, no more Phal. Mine are inexpensive growlights, but that changes the spectrum, not the intensity.

Prescott Orchid Society
Old 05-29-2008, 08:48 AM
V.I.P Member

sandra is on a distinguished road
ooooh, nice growing Mike. Are you going to put this outside once the weather warms up?

My little ugly amboinensis's leaves have grown somewhat so now, every nick and cut is bigger and uglier.
Old 05-29-2008, 09:14 AM
Junior Member Photobucket

clarita is on a distinguished road
I have a feeling I can ID the source by the tag. I have a few of these little species phals from the same vendour. The media they use is quite good. Wondering why the immediate repot? The plant is quite young; fragile indeed. The weather at the time you received the plant was cold. (still cold ) It may have gotten slightly chilled in shipment, even though well packed. I've never been in favour of repotting upon arrival. Truth be told, I don't repot unless it's absolutely necessary. It tends to set the plant back, especially after moving it to a new evironment. One of my "baby phals" hit the floor a time back. (similar to a repot IMO) Wasn't damaged but It hasn't been the same since. Same issue; lower leaf not looking too great. The ones that I did nothing to and let them settle in are in bloom and or growing new leaves.

I have these in slightly higher light 2000 fc's. I wouldn't go much above that while they are still small.
Old 05-29-2008, 10:08 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Cynthia, you must have much better quality light fixtures that I do. Even with brand new bulbs right up against them I only measure 1000 fc with my light meter. I grow all my phals as close to the bulbs as I can get them and the proof seems to be in the outcome - for two years now - nothing appears to be getting too much light. In fact, I believe I could use a little more - just a few inches away and reaching out to the ends I'm dropping off to 700-800 fc. This is what happens with $10 fixtures obtained from places like Lowe's and Home Depot. Now if you want to talk about my T5 fixture that is a COMPLETELY different story - that guy pumps out the rays! So far I have not tried any of my phals under it - though I have been tempted.
Old 05-29-2008, 12:51 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

PhalPal is a jewel in the roughPhalPal is a jewel in the roughPhalPal is a jewel in the roughPhalPal is a jewel in the rough
I'm curious what kind of bulbs Cynthia is using as well. I have 'full specturm' bulbs in cheapie shop lights and I'm lucky to get 1000 fc two inches above the leaves also.
Old 05-29-2008, 07:38 PM

Cynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond repute
Yep, you're right Mike. I have to learn to use my light meter better. I just lowered the fixture, but still too few fc. Need to carry out my original plan of using mylar to shroud the plants to pick up a few extra fc. Have a single T5 fixture I may add.

Prescott Orchid Society
Old 01-10-2010, 11:30 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Thought I'd show a pic of what my plant looks like today - still no blooms, but it is growing and I'm keeping my fingers crossed for THIS summer?!

Anyone else have a pic to share for comparison?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mayres For This Useful Post:
orchidaddict789 (08-05-2011), Schlyne (01-19-2010), zaeem (06-17-2010)
Old 01-11-2010, 01:11 AM
Executive Senior Member

Thanked 1,168 Times in 489 Posts
amersault is on a distinguished road
holy cow! what a huge improvement! is that even the same plant? impressive leaves and wonderfully healthy roots. Mike really is The King of Phals
Old 01-11-2010, 03:36 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

PhalPal is a jewel in the roughPhalPal is a jewel in the roughPhalPal is a jewel in the roughPhalPal is a jewel in the rough
Nice little plant Mike!
Old 01-11-2010, 03:51 PM
Executive Senior Member

hera is on a distinguished road
The plant looks very healthy. Its just a matter of time.
Old 01-11-2010, 05:00 PM
V.I.P Member

Thanked 5,447 Times in 3,014 Posts
kmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond repute
I dub thee, Phal Master! Fantastic progress Mike! Thanks for the update! Keep 'em coming! I'm eager to see this little fellow flower!
Old 01-11-2010, 05:38 PM
V.I.P. Member Photobucket

Thanked 1,530 Times in 1,044 Posts
koshki is on a distinguished road
Awww, it's so cute! And it loves you!

Old 02-22-2010, 04:56 AM

Phoenix7801 is on a distinguished road
Its because of that recent photo that I'm going to make some of that coir mix mike. Truly awesome!!
Old 02-22-2010, 07:40 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Thanked 1,954 Times in 1,166 Posts
patticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of light
Here's mine. It's nice and big and healthy, but still no blooms. I have it near a grow light in my dining room.
Attached Thumbnails
imgp4769.jpg  
psyc1210 (02-22-2010), zaeem (06-17-2010)
Old 02-22-2010, 11:05 AM
V.I.P Member

Thanked 2,686 Times in 1,127 Posts
psyc1210 is on a distinguished road
Mike and Patti, you put mine to shame. Mine hasn't done ANYTHING other than grow roots for a long while. I have it on the shelf that gets a good amount of light when the sun is actually shining...maybe this year it will take off. SLOW!!!

Last edited by psyc1210; 02-22-2010 at 11:38 AM.
Old 02-22-2010, 11:35 AM

Leathal is on a distinguished road
Much progress on your plant. Looks great
Old 02-28-2010, 03:19 AM

bobnicholas is on a distinguished road
Phalaenopsis amboinensis

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayres View Post
Thought I'd show a pic of what my plant looks like today - still no blooms, but it is growing and I'm keeping my fingers crossed for THIS summer?!

Anyone else have a pic to share for comparison?
Hi Mayers,
I am Bob from West Oz.
I aquired a mature 2 year old Amboinensis plant about 2 years ago and it started to bloom straight away. it has never stopped blooming since then.
Must be the air down here.
Pic attached.
Bob from West Oz
Don't mind the mis-spelling name of orchid
Attached Thumbnails
phal-vanosa-amabium-26-8-2008-x.jpg   phal-venosa-x-amabillis-2-species-1-10-09-y.jpg  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bobnicholas For This Useful Post:
Julez (02-28-2010), zaeem (06-17-2010)
Old 02-28-2010, 04:13 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

According to the pics you posted it appears that you have a primary hybrid - venosa x amboinensis? Very nice it continues to bloom almost nonstop! That would be a great plus for any orchid. Thanks for sharing your pics - the plant is very nice - don't know if I've yet seen this cross?
Old 06-04-2010, 07:21 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

I don't know that anyone on this forum will live long enough to see an ambo grow this big - and most certainly will NEVER see one in the wild either - so........
Take a peek at this link - Vortex's Orchids - Phalaenopsis amboinensis
norris (06-05-2010)
Old 06-04-2010, 07:26 PM
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thanked 5,868 Times in 2,954 Posts
syndywindy is on a distinguished road
Thats a big honkin' phal! But look at all those blooms.

Life is Good Today! Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you will die tomorrow.

Synda
Old 06-05-2010, 03:22 AM
Senior Member Photobucket

norris is on a distinguished road
I got a bloom from my Phal. bastianii this year, and thought for sure I would see a spike form on my amboinensis... but nothing...yet
Old 06-05-2010, 06:01 AM
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thanked 4,422 Times in 3,810 Posts
orchids4me is on a distinguished road
Hi Mike ,
Nice growing with that phal. You mentioned the cheepie lights from lowes or home depot what kind of bulbs and fixture do you have?? My phals need something if that would help I'm game can you post a pic of them for visual ID whan I go there as to what I'm looking for?
Thanks
Emmaye

Daisy 2003 -2013
Life is too short.... Buy more orchids!!!!

Emmaye
Old 06-05-2010, 03:36 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Until last winter all my phals have been growing under cheapie fixtures as you just noted - with either daylight colored bulbs and/or mixed with blue. Depending on any particular time I buy, the exact product available will vary - but usually in the $8 range and maybe $3-4 for the two bulbs. You can get an idea from the top portion of one of my light setups noted in the pic below. As of last winter I did also purchase another T5 fixture that I also have many of my phals under now (it will easily over-light a phal and is turning many leaves reddish - must move them further away). I have my ambo and my bellina under this light fixture currently and they seem to like it! Ruler next to ambo for size reference - which is about the same as my bellina. pm me if you want any additional lighting information.....
Attached Thumbnails
group-051009-06a.jpg   20100605_1a.jpg   20100605_2a.jpg  

Last edited by mayres; 06-05-2010 at 03:42 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mayres For This Useful Post:
LouisW (06-06-2010), orchids4me (06-05-2010), zaeem (06-17-2010)
Old 06-05-2010, 04:02 PM

Thanked 4,422 Times in 3,810 Posts
orchids4me is on a distinguished road
Thank you mike.
I appreciate you posting the pics of the set up visuals are always helpful. I see its a fluorescent looking tube type set up. By the way nice growing there !
Thanks
Emmaye

Daisy 2003 -2013
Life is too short.... Buy more orchids!!!!

Emmaye
Old 06-06-2010, 08:55 PM

LouisW is on a distinguished road
Great progress Mayres!

I love it when people post threads like this. Thanks!
Old 11-16-2011, 05:55 AM

Raking is on a distinguished road
Post Good.

very good.