Orchid Forum Orchid Care

Orchid Forum Orchid Care (http://www.orchidgeeks.com/forum/)
-   Phalaenopsis amboinensis (http://www.orchidgeeks.com/forum/phalaenopsis-amboinensis-154/)
-   -   Mike's amboinensis (http://www.orchidgeeks.com/forum/phalaenopsis-amboinensis-154/mikes-amboinensis-6310/)

mayres 04-20-2008 01:16 AM

Mike's amboinensis

4 Attachment(s)
I got my species plants on Friday 3/28/08. On arrival day the plant looked like the following.
First hint of what I had to work with!
Attachment 8184
All unwrapped and ready to place under my cheapie shop lights for the time being until I get time to repot.
Attachment 8185
Okay - last Sunday I made the repot move. Unpotted my initial impression of this plant at this point can be summed up in one word (right or wrong) - FRAGILE.
Attachment 8186
Here is the same plant now put in coir mix. The outline of two of the leaves are just a touch yellow and make me a little nervous. I have all my fingers and toes crossed and am now waiting for warmer weather to kick in and give this baby a growing boost (today's cool snow, sleet, hail, rain, etc. was unbelievable - isn't this spring?).
Attachment 8187

articuno75 04-20-2008 02:01 AM

Mike~ If you look at your arrival photo, you can see that the yellowing had already started a bit around the edges. The flash of the camera picked it up and heightened the yellowing.

mayres 04-20-2008 02:34 AM

Right you are about the yellowing Jenny. Hopefully it will not progress for awhile.......

Sharyn 04-20-2008 01:19 PM

Mike: Mine also had a slight bit of yellowing. The bottom leaf fell off and I was also a little nervous. One of the other leaves had a bit of yellowing at the edges, like yours. I repotted mine in the coir mix, and it's doing fine now.

articuno75 04-20-2008 01:46 PM

I know you, Brookn, Connie, and I had some root issues.....

Is there anyone else that had not so impressive roots????

How much will this set the plants back on growth?

made4engineering 04-20-2008 03:47 PM

My roots were not spectacular either. I even cut some off that were still alive but dangling by a thread (you know the ones). Mine has been very vigorous since I mounted it though :) - everythings growing on it. I'll post pics after finals are over.

mayres 05-27-2008 10:54 PM

Well - as we all know, these orchids try our patience.....
After 38 days of living with me my little guy is finally showing signs of a new leaf! Except for one five day spell of very warm weather the rest of the days have been unseasonably cool - which I'm certain has not helped.
http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m...805270801a.jpg

patticake 05-28-2008 12:10 AM

Isn't it great when that new little middle finally pops out? There's hope!!:D

solay 05-28-2008 01:14 AM

Mike, I'm with you about small orchids. They look so fragile. I keep knocking them over and spilling all the mix. Too small for my clumsy hands. It looks like your plant is showing signs of life. Good growing!

articuno75 05-28-2008 10:21 AM

Do you have it under more light along with the increased heat? My apartment stays around the 70s and mine hasn't budged.

FLaCo 05-28-2008 10:53 AM

Is it just me or are these seedlings taking forever!?

mayres 05-28-2008 12:30 PM

I have mine about two inches from cheapie shop lights. I'm thinking that whenever summer arrives the heat will make them grow (?) - we're not there yet! I believe they would prefer to be in the 80's or even low 90's for optimal growth conditions. Some of you may remember a link I gave early last year regarding advice for commercial phal growers - http://www.hrt.msu.edu/faculty/Runkl...20part%201.pdf.
Note the part in here about what temperature to ideally grow these young plants! If you are interested in reading the rest of the article just replace the "201" portion of the link with 202, 203, & 204 - it is a four parter. :)

Cynthia, Prescott, AZ 05-29-2008 01:49 AM

Mike, sounds like you have the amboinensis much too close to the lights. Baker says 1000 to 1200 fc. My fluorescent lights are giving me 1500 fc at about a foot or more away. Remember, too much light will stress a Phal until some pathogen comes along and Kapow!, no more Phal. Mine are inexpensive growlights, but that changes the spectrum, not the intensity.

sandra 05-29-2008 08:48 AM

ooooh, nice growing Mike. Are you going to put this outside once the weather warms up?

My little ugly amboinensis's leaves have grown somewhat so now, every nick and cut is bigger and uglier.

clarita 05-29-2008 09:14 AM

I have a feeling I can ID the source by the tag.;) I have a few of these little species phals from the same vendour. The media they use is quite good. Wondering why the immediate repot? The plant is quite young; fragile indeed. The weather at the time you received the plant was cold. (still cold :( ) It may have gotten slightly chilled in shipment, even though well packed. I've never been in favour of repotting upon arrival. Truth be told, I don't repot unless it's absolutely necessary. It tends to set the plant back, especially after moving it to a new evironment. One of my "baby phals" hit the floor a time back. (similar to a repot IMO) Wasn't damaged but It hasn't been the same since. Same issue; lower leaf not looking too great. The ones that I did nothing to and let them settle in are in bloom and or growing new leaves.

I have these in slightly higher light 2000 fc's. I wouldn't go much above that while they are still small.

mayres 05-29-2008 10:08 AM

Cynthia, you must have much better quality light fixtures that I do. Even with brand new bulbs right up against them I only measure 1000 fc with my light meter. I grow all my phals as close to the bulbs as I can get them and the proof seems to be in the outcome - for two years now - nothing appears to be getting too much light. In fact, I believe I could use a little more - just a few inches away and reaching out to the ends I'm dropping off to 700-800 fc. This is what happens with $10 fixtures obtained from places like Lowe's and Home Depot. Now if you want to talk about my T5 fixture that is a COMPLETELY different story - that guy pumps out the rays! :) So far I have not tried any of my phals under it - though I have been tempted.

PhalPal 05-29-2008 12:51 PM

I'm curious what kind of bulbs Cynthia is using as well. I have 'full specturm' bulbs in cheapie shop lights and I'm lucky to get 1000 fc two inches above the leaves also.

Cynthia, Prescott, AZ 05-29-2008 07:38 PM

Yep, you're right Mike. I have to learn to use my light meter better. I just lowered the fixture, but still too few fc. Need to carry out my original plan of using mylar to shroud the plants to pick up a few extra fc. Have a single T5 fixture I may add.

mayres 01-10-2010 11:30 PM

Thought I'd show a pic of what my plant looks like today - still no blooms, but it is growing and I'm keeping my fingers crossed for THIS summer?! :)
http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m...100110_20a.jpg
Anyone else have a pic to share for comparison?

amersault 01-11-2010 01:11 AM

holy cow! what a huge improvement! is that even the same plant? impressive leaves and wonderfully healthy roots. Mike really is The King of Phals :D

PhalPal 01-11-2010 03:36 PM

Nice little plant Mike!

hera 01-11-2010 03:51 PM

The plant looks very healthy. Its just a matter of time.

kmarch 01-11-2010 05:00 PM

I dub thee, Phal Master! Fantastic progress Mike! Thanks for the update! Keep 'em coming! I'm eager to see this little fellow flower!

koshki 01-11-2010 05:38 PM

Awww, it's so cute! And it loves you!

Phoenix7801 02-22-2010 04:56 AM

Its because of that recent photo that I'm going to make some of that coir mix mike. Truly awesome!!

patticake 02-22-2010 07:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's mine. It's nice and big and healthy, but still no blooms. I have it near a grow light in my dining room.

psyc1210 02-22-2010 11:05 AM

Mike and Patti, you put mine to shame. Mine hasn't done ANYTHING other than grow roots for a long while. I have it on the shelf that gets a good amount of light when the sun is actually shining...maybe this year it will take off. SLOW!!!

Leathal 02-22-2010 11:35 AM

Much progress on your plant. Looks great

bobnicholas 02-28-2010 03:19 AM

Phalaenopsis amboinensis

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by mayres (Post 189673)
Thought I'd show a pic of what my plant looks like today - still no blooms, but it is growing and I'm keeping my fingers crossed for THIS summer?! :)
http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m...100110_20a.jpg
Anyone else have a pic to share for comparison?

Hi Mayers,
I am Bob from West Oz.
I aquired a mature 2 year old Amboinensis plant about 2 years ago and it started to bloom straight away. it has never stopped blooming since then.
Must be the air down here.
Pic attached.
Bob from West Oz
Don't mind the mis-spelling name of orchid

mayres 02-28-2010 04:13 AM

According to the pics you posted it appears that you have a primary hybrid - venosa x amboinensis? Very nice it continues to bloom almost nonstop! That would be a great plus for any orchid. Thanks for sharing your pics - the plant is very nice - don't know if I've yet seen this cross?

mayres 06-04-2010 07:21 PM

I don't know that anyone on this forum will live long enough to see an ambo grow this big - and most certainly will NEVER see one in the wild either - so........
Take a peek at this link - :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:Vortex's Orchids - Phalaenopsis amboinensis

syndywindy 06-04-2010 07:26 PM

Thats a big honkin' phal! But look at all those blooms.

norris 06-05-2010 03:22 AM

I got a bloom from my Phal. bastianii this year, and thought for sure I would see a spike form on my amboinensis... but nothing...yet ;)

orchids4me 06-05-2010 06:01 AM

Hi Mike ,
Nice growing with that phal. You mentioned the cheepie lights from lowes or home depot what kind of bulbs and fixture do you have?? My phals need something if that would help I'm game can you post a pic of them for visual ID whan I go there as to what I'm looking for?
Thanks
Emmaye

mayres 06-05-2010 03:36 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Until last winter all my phals have been growing under cheapie fixtures as you just noted - with either daylight colored bulbs and/or mixed with blue. Depending on any particular time I buy, the exact product available will vary - but usually in the $8 range and maybe $3-4 for the two bulbs. You can get an idea from the top portion of one of my light setups noted in the pic below. As of last winter I did also purchase another T5 fixture that I also have many of my phals under now (it will easily over-light a phal and is turning many leaves reddish - must move them further away). I have my ambo and my bellina under this light fixture currently and they seem to like it! Ruler next to ambo for size reference - which is about the same as my bellina. pm me if you want any additional lighting information.....

orchids4me 06-05-2010 04:02 PM

Thank you mike.
I appreciate you posting the pics of the set up visuals are always helpful. I see its a fluorescent looking tube type set up. By the way nice growing there !
Thanks
Emmaye

LouisW 06-06-2010 08:55 PM

Great progress Mayres!

I love it when people post threads like this. Thanks!

Raking 11-16-2011 05:55 AM

Good.

very good.