LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2016, 10:40 PM
Executive Senior Member Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thanked 2,306 Times in 796 Posts
orchidea is on a distinguished road
Please help to identify

Hi all,
Haven't been here for ages, but remember I got help identifying one of my houseplants here.
Maybe someone can recognize this one too.
It grew on it's own outside in my yard. I think it has a tendency to grow like a bush, I can see many new growths at the base every year and remove them.
I would like this thing to grow like a tree and wonder if it has a chance.... , that's why I would like to know what this is.
That's how it looks right now. It's at least 8 feet tall already. My fence is 6 feet, just for reference.
Late Summer these white clusters of small white flowers turn into clusters of flat small berries or fruit. The birds eat them. That explains how it grew there by itself..... .
Thanks in advance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sam_0662.jpg

sam_0663.jpg

sam_0664.jpg

Last edited by orchidea; 05-25-2016 at 12:27 AM.
Old 05-24-2016, 11:05 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Thanked 3,385 Times in 1,211 Posts
Bolero is on a distinguished road
No idea at all but it looks lovely.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bolero For This Useful Post:
orchidea (05-25-2016)
Old 05-25-2016, 07:20 AM
Administrator
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thanked 5,372 Times in 3,084 Posts
katrina is on a distinguished road
It's a viburnum but I'm not sure which one. There are so many hybrids/varieties available that look similar so you might have a tough time tracking down a definitive ID.

Many of these guys get very large and bushy and they take to pruning very well so you can try to keep it pruned into a tree shape but I think you'll be creating a lot of work for yourself because they like to "bush" out. I'm not sure how thick an individual "trunk" would ever get because I've never tried to grow one that way.

I have several varieties...they are awesome on so many levels and they tend to be nearly indestructible. The only downside that I've ever seen is the flowers tend to attracts a lot of wasps. The upside is that some produce berries that the birds absolutely love. Well, that and the fact that they are great plants w/lovely foliage, beautiful flowers, and they aren't usually bothered by many pests.
Catt Mandu likes this.
orchidea (05-25-2016)
Old 05-25-2016, 05:35 PM
V.I.P Member

Thanked 1,107 Times in 1,013 Posts
Leafmite is on a distinguished road
Great to have you check in!
orchidea (05-25-2016)
Old 05-25-2016, 08:42 PM
Executive Senior Member Photobucket

Thanked 2,306 Times in 796 Posts
orchidea is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by katrina View Post
It's a viburnum but I'm not sure which one. There are so many hybrids/varieties available that look similar so you might have a tough time tracking down a definitive ID.

Many of these guys get very large and bushy and they take to pruning very well so you can try to keep it pruned into a tree shape but I think you'll be creating a lot of work for yourself because they like to "bush" out. I'm not sure how thick an individual "trunk" would ever get because I've never tried to grow one that way.

I have several varieties...they are awesome on so many levels and they tend to be nearly indestructible. The only downside that I've ever seen is the flowers tend to attracts a lot of wasps. The upside is that some produce berries that the birds absolutely love. Well, that and the fact that they are great plants w/lovely foliage, beautiful flowers, and they aren't usually bothered by many pests.
Thank you Kat! You are the best as always!
I think I might let it grow into a bush after reading a bit about it.
Only one of viburnum I found has a tree structure and grows to about 15'.
I don't think it's the kind I have.
I am glad it decided to grow in my yard, I like it.
katrina likes this.
Old 05-26-2016, 07:44 AM
Administrator
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thanked 5,372 Times in 3,084 Posts
katrina is on a distinguished road
They really are beautiful when they are bushy and covered in flowers. The flowers last quite awhile too. They are fast growers so I don't think you'll have to wait all that long for it to bush out and get nice and big.

Before we re-did our drive to include a side drive area I had a giant V. Chicago Lustre (hybrid) planted in a bed next to the garage and once it was mature that thing had to be pruned back every year just to keep it in check. We pruned to keep it about 6' wide and it was as tall as the garage...gorgeous. I hated to lose that one but the desire to upgrade from the ugly blacktop drive to a beautiful new and larger concrete drive that wrapped down the side of the garage won out. When it was in bloom, it was a sight! It produced blue berries after it bloomed and it attracted many birds...including Cedar Waxwings, a really cool bird that is rarely seen in yards.

Anyway...you're welcome. Glad I could help.
orchidea (05-26-2016)