Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > Orchid Care > Orchid Potting Mediums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2013, 01:06 PM

RebelCowgirl is on a distinguished road
Supplies

Where does everyone get your potting medium and other supplies for your orchids. I live In very rule Tennessee and there are no stores or nurseries within 100 miles that carry anything I need, there is Lowes and Home Depot but the only medium they sale is very bad. Sprag is pretty much just dust.
I am forced to order online and was wondering what the best sites are.
Repottime seems to be good but expensive.

Old 10-04-2013, 01:32 PM
Member Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Ladyofthelakes is on a distinguished road
I have ordered my bark mixes from Oak Hill Gardens, Hausermann, Repotme.com Carter & Holmes.

The prices are mostly the same, but different vendors carry some of what I need, then I am forced to pay that awful $ 13-15 postage. It's frustrating, but I live on an island and 40 miles beyond that is the closet garden and plant supply, they have about 10 orchids a year for sale @ $ 30.00 each.

I drool every time someone posts pics of OS pictures. As far as I know I am the only person in the Eastern Upper Peninsula of Michigan who grows orchids! Rural, you bet!

Life is GOOD

Please support Pet Rescue See our little Ozzy http://www.pekeatzurescue.com/2006adopted.htm Viv & Al
Old 10-04-2013, 01:36 PM
V.I.P Member

Thanked 1,110 Times in 1,015 Posts
Leafmite is on a distinguished road
I am lucky that Wayne Roberts of Robert's Flower Supply attends our meetings and is kind enough to bring what I order. He's got great stuff and is very honest. Recently for the project plant, I ordered orchids and ordered a few pots and hangers from Oakhill Gardens. I highly recommend that place, too. Moss is light and cheap to ship, usually.
I use red lava rock for everything where the moss isn't used which is found everywhere and dirt cheap. That saves on shipping and the constant need of replacing all my media every year.
I just ordered a good grade of New Zealand moss from Wayne Roberts.

Last edited by Leafmite; 10-04-2013 at 01:39 PM.
Old 10-04-2013, 01:46 PM

RebelCowgirl is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I drool every time someone posts pics of OS pictures. As far as I know I am the only person in the Eastern Upper Peninsula of Michigan who grows orchids! Rural, you bet!
The closest OS for me is all the way in Memphis which takes me 2 hrs. to get there, I wish I had one closer as well.

Quote:
I am lucky that Wayne Roberts of Robert's Flower Supply attends our meetings and is kind enough to bring what I order. He's got great stuff and is very honest. Recently for the project plant, I ordered orchids and ordered a few pots and hangers from Oakhill Gardens. I highly recommend that place, too. Moss is light and cheap to ship, usually.
I use red lava rock for everything where the moss isn't used which is found everywhere and dirt cheap. I just ordered a good grade of New Zealand moss from Wayne Roberts.
You are very lucky. I use a lot of sprag (mainly cause orchids that need to stay moist are the only ones I'm really good at keeping alive lol). I like LECA and I also use Coir cubes. However, I have been putting off ordering supplies because I hate paying shipping I need Vanda baskets for my Stans and coryanthes, I need Sprag cause I'm all out. I would love to have a few mounts just incase I do ever decide to mount anything. I need charcoal and perlite, lol I have a very large shopping list and haven't found a good place to get it all yet.

Old 10-04-2013, 03:23 PM
Administrator
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thanked 5,379 Times in 3,089 Posts
katrina is on a distinguished road
Kelly's Korner has everything you've mentioned (and then some!) and their prices are very fair.

When you order...you agree to the price w/out the shipping included yet...they will then package everything up and it's priced after it's all packaged because that is the ONLY way to get those "actual" shipping charges. At that time they will send another invoice w/the shipping charges. It's never been anything I would consider too much or out of the ordinary. I only explain this aspect because some people have been put off by the practice...but in reality it ends up being very reasonable and nothing to worry about.

I have received some very large boxes from then over the years...and I've never been disappointed in any way.

The site isn't the fastest in the world...but it's a great place to find a LOT of different items.
Kelley's Korner Orchid Supplies, We offer everything to grow great Orchids!
Old 10-04-2013, 03:48 PM

maria1971 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelCowgirl View Post
Where does everyone get your potting medium and other supplies for your orchids. I live In very rule Tennessee and there are no stores or nurseries within 100 miles that carry anything I need, there is Lowes and Home Depot but the only medium they sale is very bad. Sprag is pretty much just dust.
I am forced to order online and was wondering what the best sites are.
Repottime seems to be good but expensive.
Surprisingly, EBAY has some fair prices. I seldom order from an "orchid supply"
store any more:

1) I use a mix of river rock and hydroton as my primary potting medium, which essentially doubles the amount of potting medium. I bought a 50 gallon bag of hydroton about 2-3 years ago and mixed it with river rock (from HD), and I still have tons of it left. I have an unopened 50 gallon bag that cost me 20.00 3 years ago. I bought the hydroton at a hydroponics store and later discovered the orchid supply near me was selling the same bag for 10 more dollars. NAY.

3) When I order labels, I order them wholesale. I bought one thousand labels for about 50.00 (this included shipping) I find that "orchid stores" significantly increase the price for anything that is characterized as being for orchids, so I look for general horticultural supply stores. The labels are sturdier and bigger. I've seen very good quality plastic pots sell for significantly less (and the same pot) in general horticultural supply online stores.

4) I also found 6 inch "S" hooks at wholesale prices. I'm not going to pay what I call "orchid store" prices for something that can be found elsewhere cheaper.

5) I also buy fertilizers such as seaweed extract and calcium from horticultural supplies or from ebay.

I guess what I'm saying is that if you think outside the box and not focus on orchid supply places, I bet you can find stuff cheaper online.

Oh, one final tip, I order in bulk whenever I do order. I'm not paying shipping in dribs and drabs.
Old 10-04-2013, 09:55 PM

MattWoelfsen is on a distinguished road
Amazon has a very good selection of orchid supplies. In fact Repotme, Larry's Orchids, Carter & Holmes are Amazon vendors. I was not familiar with these three vendors, after having positive experiences with them via Amazon, I was comfortable with buying from them directly. So far, Amazon is not collecting sales tax, so what tax you might pay otherwise, goes to cover shipping costs.
Old 10-05-2013, 04:22 AM
Executive Senior Member

coffeecup is on a distinguished road
In addition to what everyone else uses, I also like CalWest Tropical. They have a lot of well priced items and decent shipping rates.
Old 10-07-2013, 11:07 AM
V.I.P Member

Thanked 3,231 Times in 1,555 Posts
BGGraham1 is on a distinguished road
I use repotme, Calwest Tropical, and the is a horticulture supply store about 10 mins away that I go to when i need something quick. They lso do online business - U S Orchid (or hydroponic) Supply. Pretty decent prices.

http://brigittesorchids.blogspot.com/
Old 10-07-2013, 10:35 PM

nightsong is on a distinguished road
I use firstrays.com for S/H supplies: primeagra & pots as well small bags of orchiata, chemicals and LED lights, Orchiata for the 40L bags of orchiata and big block of spag (the annual supply order) and Kelly's Corners for all the other pots, rhizome clips and incidentals. Highly recommend these 3 vendors for their fair prices and actual shipping costs policy.
Using them I have a little more money to spend on the orchids