Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > Orchid Care > Orchid Potting Mediums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2009, 08:04 PM
Member Photobucket

Schlyne is on a distinguished road
Should I repot this yet?

I've heard that bulbos (well, it's a Cirr. but it wouldn't surprise me if it acts the same in this regard) don't like to be repotted. Should I go ahead and repot this, or wait? And what should I repot this in? You can see it wants to grow all over the place. It if looks wet, I just watered it earlier today.

Cirr. rothschildianum ('Adoribil' FCC x 'Red Chimney' FCC)

Old 12-13-2009, 08:22 PM
Site Administrator
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thanked 3,228 Times in 1,355 Posts
fred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond repute
lets see what other geeks say about this one but here is what I would do

I would get a squat pot just big enough to take those new roots lift the chid out on the pot sit the chid in the new pot and fill in the sides of the pot with new medium
that way your not going to put the chid under much stress at all

remember that is just what I would do I am not an expert on bulbos

I use this method with the chids I have that don't like being repotted
Schlyne (12-13-2009)
Old 12-13-2009, 10:05 PM

Thanked 1,459 Times in 733 Posts
Stelios is on a distinguished road
I only have one bulbophyllum (for less than a year and i have repotted it only once) but i haven't seen any side effects from repotting it.
However i have read a lot of posts about other kinds of orchids that don't like to be repotted like for example Psychopsis. I have repotted mine mid bloom and it did just fine, it even started a new growth after repotting it while kept blooming and it is still in bloom.
So my humble opinion is: be careful not to damage any roots, especially from plants with hairs on them or roots that like to stick on the medium and they will be just fine.
The thinner the roots the hardest it is, but with some extra care they are repotted just fine.
The Following User Says Thank You to Stelios For This Useful Post:
Schlyne (12-13-2009)
Old 12-13-2009, 10:17 PM
Senior Member Photobucket

davetheorchidaddict is on a distinguished road
If it was mine I would let it grow, it looks to me like what medium mine like and bloom in, I would probably put the one with roots out of the pot back over the medium and press the roots down. The seem to like a great deal of water.
Schlyne (12-13-2009)
Old 12-13-2009, 11:03 PM
Member Photobucket

Schlyne is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by davetheorchidaddict View Post
If it was mine I would let it grow, it looks to me like what medium mine like and bloom in, I would probably put the one with roots out of the pot back over the medium and press the roots down. The seem to like a great deal of water.
I don't think I can get it to move back over the pot. I just gently tried to and it's not flexible enough to move all the way back over or high enough to get the roots in. When I water this, I soak the pot, and those roots and that rhizome have been growing nicely.
Old 12-13-2009, 11:55 PM

terrycinor is on a distinguished road
Could you put another pot right up under the one growing outside the pot and let it get use to the new pot then severe the connection?
Old 12-14-2009, 07:44 AM
V.I.P Member
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thanked 6,637 Times in 2,844 Posts
Brooke is on a distinguished road
Now is the time to repot the roth - it is their growing season. I use baskets with a moisture retentive mix and let them wander around to their hearts content. Full sun this time of year and warmth will make it very happy.

Enjoy - Brooke
The Following User Says Thank You to Brooke For This Useful Post:
Schlyne (12-15-2009)
Old 12-15-2009, 01:24 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Thanked 4,721 Times in 2,020 Posts
lmartiny is on a distinguished road
I am interested in this because I just got a Bulbo and it is in moss. All that wet makes me nervous but it says to keep them moist. Mine never seems to dry out. The last spike has bloomed. The flowers seem short lived and the last set were much shorter.
Old 12-15-2009, 08:25 AM
Executive Senior Member

Thanked 1,035 Times in 333 Posts
benetay is on a distinguished road
If it's heading out of the pot, you can repot it. Use something bigger to accommodate their nasty habit. I'll concur with Brooke on the full Sun and something that i don't normally get is the season, which induce blooming. So mine grows endlessly without blooming.

I saw one new shipment recently from Taiwan and they were all in bloom. Sadly i couldn't lower the temperature enough to induce blooming. However, your case is certainly promising and if you like to minimise repotting, just put this current pot into an even larger one with media. In the next few years, you will have to remove and set it in an even larger one. Don't worry, Bulbos are not fast grower as they don't grow 20 new bulbs in a year, i'll be happy to even see 5-8 new leads.

Certain Bulbo likes moisture more, just for instance, Bulbophyllum membranifolium can take almost 100% sphag moss and just keep growing, while the opposite is also true, those that are not potted or mounted with lots of sphags tend to dehydrate and die a slow death.

So it depends on which kind of Bulbo we're discussing about. I have learn the hard way and have killed a lot of Bulbo in the process. Those that didn't die taught me well and usually i will buy similar plant and grow them differently to see how they prefer it.

There are some really questionable issue that i've encounter, such as two seperate bulbos tied side by side where one grow profusely and the other just sunk. So for those who tried and fail, you're not alone and that doesn't mean you can't grow them. It is just that maybe the particular bulbo you got isn't good, try again!

Have faith and believe!

Cheers!

Benetay Photography

Bulbophyllum blog
The Following User Says Thank You to benetay For This Useful Post:
Schlyne (12-16-2009)
Old 12-28-2009, 10:50 PM
Senior Member Photobucket

davetheorchidaddict is on a distinguished road
Schlyne, my last blooming Bulb had several pseudobulbs out side the pot that also bloomed. They got enough of what they wanted to produce blooms.
Schlyne (12-28-2009)
Old 12-29-2009, 07:06 AM
V.I.P Member

Thanked 1,030 Times in 630 Posts
digitalgate is on a distinguished road
for this one, i would highly recommend you repot. you need to wash the plant real clean as it probably has lots of insect hidding in the media. The media most likely has broken down badly that why the plant is not doing well. If you intend to use moss on the plant , prepare to repot in 9 months time. Bark or coconut will last you about a year. charcoal will last you may be 18 months but they dont retain water well. As humidity is low in your area, you might want to cover it with a thin layer of moss.
The Following User Says Thank You to digitalgate For This Useful Post:
Schlyne (12-29-2009)

Tags
bulbo, cirr, repotting, rothschildianum