Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > Orchid Care > Orchid Potting Mediums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2009, 10:11 AM

anna1029 is on a distinguished road
Repotting my Phal

I've had my phal for almost 2 years now. It's my first orchid, and although it grew many new leaves, it hasn't bloomed once yet. I bought it when it was in full bloom, once the flowers fell off it hasn't bloomed since. I believe it needs to be repotted. It grew many new roots and most of them are coming out from the top of the pot, many roots are also coming out on the bottom from the drain holes. I guess my question is, is now a good time to move it to a bigger pot and should I buy moss to repot it and how is it done. Right now the orchid is in moss. I water it every 10 days or so, may be even less often in the colder months. Thank you for your advice.
Old 03-08-2009, 11:20 AM
Super Moderator Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

brookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of light
Hi, try this link.

http://www.orchidgeeks.com/forum/new...laenopsis.html
Old 03-08-2009, 11:53 AM

englandfx is on a distinguished road
Well since you have had ur orchid for 2 yrs and still have not bloomed (assuming it is fully matured since it was in bloom when u bought it), it could be that you are over-fertilizing it.

Phals that are over fertilized will usually grow a lot of leaves and new roots becoming "fat" if you will. You need to fertlize less often, and make sure you have the 10-15 degree drop in temperature from day to night for at least 2 weeks to 1 month.

You should also make sure ur phal gets adequate bright indirect sunlight. The sunlight and the temperature drop are two very important factors for spike initiation.
Old 03-08-2009, 01:25 PM

anna1029 is on a distinguished road
I'm not using any form of fertilizer at all. Just simply water it and that's it.
Old 03-08-2009, 01:47 PM

englandfx is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by anna1029 View Post
I'm not using any form of fertilizer at all. Just simply water it and that's it.
hmmm ok. Well it is good to hear that your phal seems to be thriving with lots of new roots
Old 03-08-2009, 03:21 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

PhalPal is a jewel in the roughPhalPal is a jewel in the roughPhalPal is a jewel in the roughPhalPal is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by englandfx View Post
.......make sure you have the 10-15 degree drop in temperature from day to night for at least 2 weeks to 1 month.

You should also make sure ur phal gets adequate bright indirect sunlight. The sunlight and the temperature drop are two very important factors for spike initiation.
These suggestions are really important and one or both are probably the reason why your phal isn't blooming for you. Phals don't need much light, but the temp drop in fall is very important. It's also possible that your orchid is overpotted. It probably was brought to bloom in a smaller pot and then moved to a prettier, larger pot for sale. Most of the time orchids are sold by pot size, not plant size. The majority of orchids like to be a bit cramped in their pots and if the pot is too big it will spend lots of time and energy filling that pot with roots at the expense of giving you flowers.

If you have had it for two years it's safe to say a re-pot would be okay. If you have been successful in moss (growing roots and leaves IS successful ) I would stick to sphagnum moss. Pull it out of the pot and tell us what you see; we can help you from there.