Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > Orchid Care > Orchid Potting Mediums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2013, 08:44 PM

brit6v is on a distinguished road
repotting Brassavola Little Stars

Hi everyone,
I started repotting my Brassavola Little Stars today which I repotted about 2 yrs. ago in another clay pot. I ran out of time, so I plan to finish potting it tomorrow. The plant is healthy and the roots were great around the pot on the inside, very healthy and many of them.....BUT, the medium in the center was very broken down and smelly/"non-fresh".

When I have watered it in the past, ants would rush out of the bottom of the clay pot sometimes so I wouldn't have been shocked if I saw that they have been farming something. I saw no signs that they have, though.
My question is if it would be good if I soaked the roots in something before I repot it...hydrogen peroxide maybe ?? Whatever you think best.

I would appreciate your advice,
Vicki
Old 06-04-2013, 09:58 PM
V.I.P Member
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Catt Mandu is on a distinguished road
IMO if the roots are healthy then I think a peroxide soak is not necessary. After all, ants and orchids mix all the time in the wild. Might be good to give it a wash, though.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:55 AM
Administrator
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thanked 5,374 Times in 3,085 Posts
katrina is on a distinguished road
I agree w/catt...if you don't see any issues then the hydrogen peroxide isn't necessary. It wouldn't hurt anything but it's really not necessary...besides, it won't do anything about ants or any other insects anyway.

I usually wash my plants before I put them in the new pot. I say usually because I sometimes get busy and miss one here or there but most of them get this treatment. A little dish soap and a good scrubbing w/a soft bristle toothbrush...doing my best to get off any of the old papery bits and cleaning up the leaves. The soap helps to loosen those old papery bits and makes them slide off easier. I don't use a lot of soap...just a bit and I rinse really well before potting it up. Other than that I don't do much at repot time...just a good cleaning up before it goes into it's new home.
Old 06-07-2013, 01:53 AM

I just finished repotting my orchid today. I went from a 6" to an 8" clay pot. I teased the good roots a bit more in order to get a closer look in the middle. As I had said, the roots were very nice and healthy on the outside and wrapped tightly together but when I finally got a better look inside, what a mess. What I saw and felt was much worse than I thought when I started, day before yesterday. Actually a smelly disaster area. I knew I had to remove the "mushy decay" (putting it nicely..."very rotten" is more like it) but I just couldn't get it out without disturbing the good roots more than I had expected. Using a small inverted plastic net pot is great information to know. I ordered some yesterday for my next repot, but I had to use styrofoam peanuts today.

By the way, I used lava rock this time. I very seldom have in the past because of my growing conditions, so I'm crossing my fingers. There was so much decay that I just felt better using an inert media at this repot.

Thank you again! I always appreciate your help!
Vicki
Old 06-07-2013, 03:08 PM

E-Jag is on a distinguished road
Vicki, what does that bloom in your avatar belong to? God, it's beautiful! Please don't tell me I have to put "gorgeous noid catt" on my wish list.
Old 06-07-2013, 04:29 PM

E-Jag

I know nothing about it, sure wish I did. I'm sorry. I found the picture a few years ago while surfing the net. I was searching for something else and just happened across it. I wasn't even looking for orchids. I liked it so well that I decided to use it for my avatar. Sometime afterwards another member asked the same question, so I tried to re-find it and couldn't.

If ever you happen to learn anything about it, please let me know and I will do the same for you. I have no idea why goofy me didn't pay more attention to where I found it. Another case of Hind-sight is 20/20.
Vicki

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Jag View Post
Vicki, what does that bloom in your avatar belong to? God, it's beautiful! Please don't tell me I have to put "gorgeous noid catt" on my wish list.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:35 PM
V.I.P Member
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thanked 1,107 Times in 1,013 Posts
Leafmite is on a distinguished road
It is a stunning orchid! Wow! If you ever find the name, I think some vendor will quickly sell out of them.
Repotting orchids is something I abhor and try to avoid doing. That is why I love the red lava rock. I don't need to repot for fresh medium. I do worry someday about dividing....