Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > Orchid Care > Orchid Potting Mediums

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Fishmom
  • 3 Post By mayres

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2012, 02:06 AM

larrylwill is on a distinguished road
Re Potting?

I know its late in the year, I'm in North Alabama. Do you think I should re pot this Phal Orchid? How would you go about doing it? Bury the roots?
O5.jpg

Do you think I should re pot this sherry Baby? It has not bloomed yet but is putting out roots. Should I split it? o6.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
o5.jpg   o6.jpg  
Old 11-15-2012, 02:17 AM

empress is on a distinguished road
I would not divide the Sharry Baby. It looks fine to me.
Both plants do. Why do you want to repot? The medium looks like you just repotted.
Your Phals are putting out tons of aerial roots though... I wonder why.

Garden Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Journal Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Photography

Old 11-15-2012, 02:21 AM

I do not want to re pot that's why I asked. Its been about 8 months since i re potted them, when I bought them early this year.
"
Your Phals are putting out tons of aerial roots though... I wonder why."

Well I was hoping you could tell me. Im the beginner. This one has always reached fr the sky and I have others that are also putting out aerial roots.

Last edited by larrylwill; 11-15-2012 at 02:24 AM.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:25 AM

Mjr is on a distinguished road
Mine send out roots when I haven't given them enough water....perhaps yours is too?
Old 11-15-2012, 02:30 AM

Perhaps, I try to water them when they feel dry with my fingers. Although they could go up to 2 weeks between watering with rain water.
They just came off a wet cycle, I forgot to remove the water from the bottom catcher plate for a few days.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:44 AM
Senior Member Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thanked 1,265 Times in 954 Posts
Fishmom is on a distinguished road
If that phal were mine, I would take it out of the pot and check the roots. The leaves look weak and floppy to me, which indicates that it is not taking up enough water. The pot is large for the size of the plant, unless it had a huge root ball when you potted it. If the medium is staying wet for 2 weeks, I suspect that you have some rotted roots, so that the plant is not getting adequate water to the leaves.

You might want to use the skewer method to monitor the moisture in the middle of the pot. It's hard to do that with fingers.
http://www.orchidgeeks.com/forum/orc...f-orchids.html
empress likes this.
Old 11-15-2012, 03:02 AM

It normally doesnt stay wet for 2 weeks I meant I might not water it for 2 weeks. I try to water every 7 to 10 days but sometimes I forget for a few days but not that much. I may let them dry out too much instead. That Phal has a dying leaf on the bottom. The rest are pretty firm. I may have re potted some in too big a pot early this year.
Should I put them in a smaller pot?
The are facing NW and do not get direct sun and the windows are thermal tinted, If anything they might not get enough light although this spring I had 5 bloom out of about 7 I bought the previous year or 2. This year I bought about 6 more, the sherry baby, a Max Tenuifolia, Oxbow, War Paint, Rlc. Chia Lin, cinimen stick and Oncidium Twinkle in June.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:54 PM

empress is on a distinguished road
I know my phals love to be a little wet. I leave them in just a little bit of standing water so that they are constantly "wicking" some water up. Then again, I have a few healthy plants and never a bloom.
The Onc will be fine. No repotting needed. They can take a great amount of abuse and bounce back fairly quickly but a little R&R in between will help them grow big and strong. Oncs also like to stay moist with me. Don't like the drying out period. At least, with me. I keep my Oncs consistently moist and they shoot up.

Garden Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Journal Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Photography

Old 11-16-2012, 12:00 PM
Super Moderator Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thanked 5,877 Times in 2,961 Posts
syndywindy is on a distinguished road
I think your plants look fine. My only question is the pots you have them in. Is there drainage holes at the bottom? And as mentioned, unless the root mass is huge, maybe a slightly smaller pot for the phal. As for the roots growing up and out, I have many phals that do that. I don't feel it's due to not getting enough water. I just think that is the nature of some plants. As long as the plant is healthy and the roots look good( if you repot into a smaller pot, do check those roots under the medium) I think you are fine with things as they are.

Life is Good Today! Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you will die tomorrow.

Synda
Old 11-16-2012, 01:41 PM
Executive Senior Member

trev is on a distinguished road
Hi there, looking at your Phal..it may need a size smaller pot unless it really has a big root mass. I would inspect the roots as the others suggested, I do not know how long ago you have repotted the plant, but I do see a lower leaf drying out. It may be just natural senescence but it can also be indicative the roots below may be drying out too much. My Phals also send out aerial roots, which is just normal for it..but I do defer to caution when I see some leaves begin to dry out. I have learned that during warmer weather, the roots love being moist but not too wet, so I go dunking them and they respond much better. In cold weather, it can tolerate being drier so interval of watering can take longer, since the media takes awhile longer to dry out. Hope that helps.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:13 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Thanked 3,205 Times in 1,285 Posts
mayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of light
One reason for lots of aerial roots is poor condition of roots in the medium - I'd pull the plant out and give them another good review. You media still looks good on the surface and should be not an issue after only eight months. Watering only every other week with that media seems too little - you may not be giving them enough? Of course the choice is always yours, but if it were mine I'd be tempted to at some point yank off the bottom leaf, soak the entire plant & roots (in order to get those aerial roots pliable and not break) and then put all the good available roots back into as small of pot as they would comfortable be placed. As noted - Sharry Baby looks good and I would not do a thing with it, other than the slightly wrinkled pseudobulbs and according sections of some leaves indicate it may also need more water and increase the humidity in the area if possible.......
orchids4me, empress and MaryPaton like this.
Old 11-17-2012, 07:28 AM

MaryPaton is on a distinguished road
Aerial roots

Quote:
Originally Posted by trev View Post
Hi there, looking at your Phal..it may need a size smaller pot unless it really has a big root mass. I would inspect the roots as the others suggested, I do not know how long ago you have repotted the plant, but I do see a lower leaf drying out. It may be just natural senescence but it can also be indicative the roots below may be drying out too much. My Phals also send out aerial roots, which is just normal for it..but I do defer to caution when I see some leaves begin to dry out. I have learned that during warmer weather, the roots love being moist but not too wet, so I go dunking them and they respond much better. In cold weather, it can tolerate being drier so interval of watering can take longer, since the media takes awhile longer to dry out. Hope that helps.
Oh dear, My Phal has been increasing its beautiful aerial roots for months. I thought that was a good sign! Am attaching photos taken today showing roots. There are two flowering spikes too. I was planning to repot when the spikes have finished but will take advice. I love those aerial roots though! ....... I will have to send photos separately as refusing to upload.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:50 AM

MaryPaton is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Aerial roots photos won't attach

Sorry - for some reason I can't persuade the attachment system to do anything so can't send the photos. I managed several times in recent weeks so not sure what happened. Will ask someone and try again later.