Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > Orchid Care > Orchid Potting Mediums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2013, 07:25 PM

sofiaee is on a distinguished road
Miracle Gro Course Orchid

I know the normal Miracle Gro orchid mix has a terrible reputation but this is the coarse mix. I still don't think it's ideal, I'd prefer to have them in the Better Gro orchid mix that I got the first time. The orchids I have in that are doing extremely well!

However this mix was all that I had on hand and I just got 6 orchids in the mail, bare root today. I put a lot of Styrofoam in the bottom of the pots and in certain ones I put it throughout the pot if it seemed like there would be too much soil in one area. In the plastic pots I even cut some holes in the sides and they have multiple holes in the bottom. I live in Austin Texas so it's currently pretty hot, although all my plants are inside on the windowsill facing east.

Do you guys think this will be okay for the plants? I got 1 NOID phal, 2 NOID catts, 1 NOID phaph, one beallara Marfitch "Howards Dream", and one Beallara Tahoma Glacier ' Green'. I ordered them off ebay I just couldn't resist those prices! Even if most of them are NOID.

Annoyingly the two who are registered didn't come with any tags so I can't really tell which is which. Maybe someone can help me. I have no previous experience with catts or bllras. Let me know if I'm doing anything wrong that I should change or keep in mind for next time.

Let me know if you can't see the pictures

Last edited by sofiaee; 08-29-2013 at 10:54 PM.
Old 08-29-2013, 07:27 PM

Also if I manage to get a different medium should I repot or wait for a bit?
Old 08-29-2013, 10:55 PM

here is a closer up picture of what the mix looks like

Old 08-30-2013, 03:00 PM
Executive Senior Member
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

trev is on a distinguished road
Does not look that bad to me. Since you got good drainage on your containers, it should work. Did you soak your media before using them?
Old 08-31-2013, 10:35 PM

No I didn't soak, why?
Old 09-01-2013, 03:09 PM
Executive Senior Member
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

trev is on a distinguished road
I just normally pre-soak my new bark media mix overnight before I use them, removes some dusty residue, at the same time adding some super thrive and fertilizer which helps the roots acclimate to the new set-up. It takes awhile for new bark to retain moisture, which roots need.

But it is a matter of preference, some pre-soak, some do not. Anyways, observe how your bark media dries out. We have our different micro climates. Oftentimes I have to dunk water the root zone for the first weeks as needed, especially during very hot days, they just dry out too fast. And never forget air circulation, our orchids love that a lot.

I know some catts prefer to stay drier than phals, and some paphs that are semi-terrestrial loves being more moist than phals at times. I have not grown beallara, so maybe someone else can chime in to give their thoughts about it.

So for me, your repotting looks okay. It is just a matter of getting your regimen of watering & fertilizing to the liking of your plants, and providing proper lighting and air. Good luck!