Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By 11Orchid126
  • 1 Post By NewGrower

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2007, 11:16 PM

dennis is on a distinguished road
Choosing a potting media ?

contents of this post has been removed
please make sure when you are copping contents from a web site that one gets the owners permission to use the contents
thank you
The Following 26 Users Say Thank You to dennis For This Useful Post:
BGGraham1 (04-07-2011), davetheorchidaddict (03-02-2009), dounoharm (03-15-2011), Etugan (09-19-2011), Forever-mango (08-14-2009), grandmapenguin (03-02-2009), janeteagle (03-29-2009), jessicalee (05-04-2011), katsrevenge (04-24-2009), koshki (08-31-2009), krpot (03-03-2010), leeflea (12-13-2010), orchids4me (07-01-2010), otis 226 (09-12-2011), phal-newbie (10-02-2010), PhalNewbie89 (07-26-2009), Phoenixdawn (10-19-2010), qchaule (01-25-2012), Rema (11-07-2011), Rilly10 (01-21-2010), Ron (03-16-2011), rosa (05-21-2013), Schlyne (11-05-2009), TexasBebe (03-21-2011), ThanhKieu24 (08-24-2010), VEEKTOR (08-05-2011)
Old 03-10-2007, 04:24 AM
Site Administrator
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thanked 3,205 Times in 1,349 Posts
fred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond repute
I would recomend evryone read this post more than once it is very helpful.
thank you for that.
I must admit that here in Tassie I use a lot of sphagnum moss.
Old 03-10-2007, 05:21 AM
V.I.P Member
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thanked 5,446 Times in 3,013 Posts
kmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond repute
I agree with Fred. It's an extreemely practical article with great info regardless if you've been growing 10 days or 10 years.
Old 03-10-2007, 11:37 AM
Executive Senior Member

Sharyn is just fantasticSharyn is just fantastic
Thumbs up Excellent Info

Excellent article Dennis. I ran a copy of this off to use for quick reference. Dave should include this as a "sticky." Thanks for your hard work.
Old 03-29-2007, 05:24 PM

Richard Butt is on a distinguished road
Time is nearing to repot a Paph., Catt. and Onc. Thanks for the general information.
Richard Butt
Old 03-30-2007, 12:11 AM
Super Moderator Photobucket

Cynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond repute
Dennis, is this your handy work, or are your reproducing someone elses article? If someone elses, please give credit or source.

Prescott Orchid Society
Old 03-30-2007, 01:22 AM
Site Administrator
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thanked 3,205 Times in 1,349 Posts
fred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond repute
Interesting point Cynthia.
Old 04-13-2007, 07:07 AM
V.I.P Member

Thanked 1,238 Times in 532 Posts
jerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond repute
I agree orchids can grow in almost anything.

Many of my Hawaiian suppliers use coconut in all its forms, but with a few provisions.

The quality of coco Husk can vary greatly. All have some salt - some more than others. If processed too green coco can leach sap that orchids seem to dislike.

All are a sterile mix, which is the source of my dislike of the medium. There is not even the minimum of beneficial microbes to start a culture. I believe that nitrogen setting bacteria are necessary to re-formulate the Nitrogen into a form for the plant to absorb into the root system.

I am not discouraging anyone from using coco. It can work very well. I would agree that it should be soaked to remove any salt and you should add something to the mix to get the beneficial microbes started. Like anything always buy the best quality available.
Old 04-22-2007, 05:50 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

PhalPal is a jewel in the roughPhalPal is a jewel in the roughPhalPal is a jewel in the roughPhalPal is a jewel in the rough
Jerry - What specific product would you recommend to add to the mix to establish beneficial microbes?
Old 09-05-2007, 06:44 PM

orchidfiji is on a distinguished road
Jerry : I have been using pine bark and some on tree fern for planting my orchids. For both mediums I would have to travel great distance to get them. I was just thinking of using coconut fibre for planting my ochids, since it is readily available to me for free. Can you please advise on what specific product to add to the mix.
Old 09-05-2007, 07:18 PM
Senior Member Photobucket

chefatplay is just fantasticchefatplay is just fantasticchefatplay is just fantastic
Me thinks Jerry will say "Worm Tea". Makes sense to me!
Old 03-02-2009, 09:06 AM

ebsheal is on a distinguished road
is sphagnum moss a good medium for my phals, i just bought some, but i have some other mix that i can blend it with if that is better. The mix I have is a clay pellet, charcoal, tree fern fiber, and medium fir bark. Any Ideas?
Old 03-15-2011, 07:36 PM

TexasBebe is on a distinguished road
I feel like I'm going to orchid school. Keep it coming.
Old 03-16-2011, 03:28 PM
Member Photobucket

11Orchid126 is on a distinguished road
Wonderful thread, and I've been growing for ten years, and still have a lot to learn!
kdennis14 likes this.
Old 03-16-2011, 06:39 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Thanked 3,967 Times in 1,720 Posts
Ron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
All are a sterile mix, which is the source of my dislike of the medium. There is not even the minimum of beneficial microbes to start a culture. I believe that nitrogen setting bacteria are necessary to re-formulate the Nitrogen into a form for the plant to absorb into the root system.
Hi, wonderful work.
Should be a reference point for all new members to read.
Jerry I agree it is a sterile medium to get beneficial microbes to start a culture I like to add seaweed based fertilizer as you stated Worm juice

My friend Missy
Good growing, Ron

Last edited by Ron; 03-16-2011 at 06:47 PM.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:48 AM

NewGrower is on a distinguished road
Do any of you experts have opinions on which medium is best for specific types of orchids?
kdennis14 likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to NewGrower For This Useful Post:
Puddy1 (07-04-2011)
Old 09-12-2011, 04:07 PM
Member Photobucket

Johnny B is on a distinguished road
I have a Y089 Oncidium Mendenhall 'Hildos' FCC/AOS. I have had it for 3 months. I have had it rebloom 3 times now. I recent repotted it in a mix with hardwood charcoal, small fir bark, and pearlite. I have eight other plants that I repotted in the same medium. They are all oncidiums also, they are going crazy and loving the new medium. Lots of root growth, I am extremely happy with it. How ever I cant get this Mendenhall 'Hildos' to grow new roots at all. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Johnny B
Old 11-07-2011, 12:06 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Thanked 3,385 Times in 1,211 Posts
Bolero is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewGrower View Post
Do any of you experts have opinions on which medium is best for specific types of orchids?
Not an expert but I do have media I use for each type of orchid I grow.

For Paphs I only use bark and depending on the different sizes of the plants will determine what size the bark is. They should be repotted every year.

For Cymbidiums and Phrags I use coconut chips and perlite and this works for me and many others.

For Cattleya's only perlite, this is the perfect (in my view) potting media for these in my growing conditions.

For all types of Pleuro's including Masdevallias I only use Sphagnum Moss, it keeps the mix evenly moist which this genus generally use.

One word of warning regarding perlite, I am not sure it's ever been mentioned before. But I found out something interesting a couple of years ago. Remember when opening a new bag of perlite to keep your face covered and to moisten the contents of the bag before handling.

It is believed by some that perlite when breathed in will be as bad as asbestos with the same potential health effects long term. Basically breathing in that dust is like breathing in glass. Be always careful, maybe make a small hole in the bag.......hose it down to stop the dust flying in the air and wear a mask when potting. It is mostly safe to use but this precaution might save you pain later in life. I just hope the first few years I used it won't come back to bite me.

Darren
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bolero For This Useful Post:
ceciyang (02-27-2012), SuperPitted (05-11-2013)
Old 11-27-2011, 11:14 AM

amybudorchids is on a distinguished road
Soiless Mixes for Orhids

Hi,
Is it necessary to have different mixes for different orchids? For example: I've been buying my medium from repotme.com. They have different mixes for different orchids. For instance: Phals mix is basically composed of spaghnum, Cats are in a medium type bark mix. Is that necessary? I know the bark is harder to tell if dry even by lifting up the pot. (I think I'm going to buy that Momet moisture meter)! I love this site!!
Old 11-27-2011, 11:16 AM

amybudorchids is on a distinguished road
What post-where is it located?
Thanks!
Old 11-27-2011, 11:25 AM

jsehorn is on a distinguished road
Amy, yes it is necessary to have different mixes for different plants to some extent. Different plants like different levels of moisture. You can adjust your cultural practices depending on your potting mix, but it's a lot easier if you just use an appropriate mix.

Catts like to get on the drier side before you water them, so a large grade, open, free draining mix is best. Phals don't like to get as dry, so a mix that retains more water is best. Oncidiums don't like to get as dry as Catts either, but they have thin, wiry roots, so they like a smaller grade mix that still drains well. Cymbidiums are semi-terrestrial and they like to stay damp to wet during the growing season, so the mix that Catts prefer wouldn't work well at all for Cyms.

No, you don't have to use a different mix for your plants, but they'll be happier if you select a mix that works well with the cultural requirements of your plants.

Last edited by jsehorn; 11-27-2011 at 11:28 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jsehorn For This Useful Post:
amybudorchids (11-28-2011), rosa (05-21-2013)
Old 06-01-2012, 10:35 PM
V.I.P Member

Catt Mandu is on a distinguished road
Hi, I'm a newbie to orchidgeeks, but I have been raising orchids for about 30 years (small collection, windowsill indoors, bench outdoors)

My experience is that the best media depends on what you are growing and what your cultural situation might be. In north Georgia, I use a bark-based mix for most of my plants (Cattleyas and Phals, mostly). But, I have a few Catts that are only happy at the roots if they are growing on 100% whole wine corks (I have a 25-year old C. Wayndora that is like this; roots miserable in bark, completely happy in nothing but wine corks). I have a Tolumnia hybrid that is perfectly happy in a tiny pot with only a few charcoal chips as media!

I'd bet if someone was growing the same plants in Arizona, some of my "cork winos" would be preferring a bit more moisture at the roots!
Old 05-21-2013, 01:26 AM

hannahsmith is on a distinguished road
I have also used "worm tea" but didn't get any good response yet.
Old 11-21-2014, 11:29 AM

MissKacy is on a distinguished road
I have been using worm tea for about 2 months maybe three, the results I've gotten are impressive. Tons of new roots and old roots branching. Healthier looking foliage. I spray a 50:1 ratio on my plants everyday.when I say spray, i mean more than a "mist". Also when i water i soak them real good with water then lastly pour some worm tea mix over the medium. My plants have never looked happier. Of course ive only been growing for a year but ive never seen them perform this well. Just my two pennies. Good growing! Kacy. .