Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > Orchid Care > Orchid Pests and Diseases

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Anton

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2012, 06:54 PM

philthy is on a distinguished road
Zygopetalum leaves started turning brown/black. Please help!

Hello everyone,

This plant did not do much for a long time and then finally a new growth started. It grew very well up until a couple weeks ago when the leaves started turning brown. There are a couple leaves that have not darkened and the roots seem to look good. Should I take action or let it run it's course? Does it seem like a goner?

Thanks for your help.
Attached Thumbnails
zygo-1.jpg   zygo-2.jpg   zygo-3.jpg  
Old 10-11-2012, 07:00 PM
V.I.P Member
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thanked 2,835 Times in 1,280 Posts
Anton is a glorious beacon of lightAnton is a glorious beacon of lightAnton is a glorious beacon of lightAnton is a glorious beacon of lightAnton is a glorious beacon of lightAnton is a glorious beacon of light
Zygos are notorious for getting black spots and marks on their leaves, but in this case I would say it is caused from water getting on the leaves, or over watering. This is a typical sign of too much water, either in the pot, or on the leaves.

Zygs hate getting their leaves wet and will let you know very quickly that this has happened.
BGGraham1 and bearded orchid like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Anton For This Useful Post:
Fishmom (10-11-2012)
Old 10-12-2012, 02:49 PM
Executive Senior Member
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

trev is on a distinguished road
I grow one zygo and from what I have seen, as I grow it outdoors in a growcamp, it does not mind getting water on the leaves, as long as it gets to dry out the leaves fast, and they do love watering a lot during the hot summer days, but once it starts getting cooler, since the media may take a little longer to dry a bit, have to space the watering..they love moist but not soggy conditions, and loves good air circulation too. It does get some spots on the leaves, but it just stays as spots..maybe like its freckles. And it loves getting some good indirect sun and warmth. So maybe you have to position your plant in an airy, sunny location while allowing it to get moist conditions on the root zone.
Old 10-12-2012, 05:24 PM

bearded orchid is on a distinguished road
Thin-leafed orchids like Zygos and Stanhopeas are notorious for marred foliage. They are sensitive to water staying on their leaves and can develop bacterial infections quite easily from it. Good air flow helps combat this.
Old 10-27-2012, 04:43 PM

crjsci1 is on a distinguished road
Re: Zygo leaves

Hi,

I have several zygopetalums in semi-hydro. As others have noted, they often get small black/brown spots on their leaves. If there are only a few spots I usually do not take action. However, if the spot start to get larger or become "sunken" in appearance, then it is usually the sign of bacteria getting out of hand and I usually remove the part of the leaf with the problem using a single sided razor blade.

Your leaves look more like a fungal problem. I would probably remove the leaves that are mostly brown/black.

If you want to try and treat it to see if it will stop spreading, I would first try something like Oxidate 2.0, which is a stabilized form of hydrogen peroxide and very safe. If you want to try a systemic fungicide, you might want to try Cleary's 3336. Please remember to read the label warnings and wear protective gear if you use the Cleary's.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Chris