Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > Orchid Care > Orchid Pests and Diseases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2009, 03:47 PM

ALJ is on a distinguished road
Why is my orchid turning brown?

My Iwanagaara Appleblossom doesn't look too good. When I got it in Feb. I noticed that one of the old pbs had a grayish color but I didn't make a big deal out of it. (You can see it on the left side of the pic.) Later it started a new growth which grew normally. Then it started to turn brown. I have another new growth that seems to be doing the same thing. Could this be a fungus or something worse? How can I stop it from spreading?
Attached Thumbnails
iwanagaara1.jpg   iwanagaara2.jpg  
Old 10-18-2009, 04:09 PM

Thanked 1,459 Times in 733 Posts
Stelios is on a distinguished road
i think it looks a bit dehydrated.
I can't be sure from the photos but you might want to check for tiny insects sucking sap from your plant.
The Following User Says Thank You to Stelios For This Useful Post:
ALJ (10-18-2009)
Old 10-18-2009, 04:17 PM
V.I.P Member
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thanked 1,583 Times in 929 Posts
mehitabel is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALJ View Post
My Iwanagaara Appleblossom doesn't look too good. When I got it in Feb. I noticed that one of the old pbs had a grayish color but I didn't make a big deal out of it. (You can see it on the left side of the pic.) Later it started a new growth which grew normally. Then it started to turn brown. I have another new growth that seems to be doing the same thing. Could this be a fungus or something worse? How can I stop it from spreading?
A new growth should not be turning brown. What I see in your picture, about in the middle is a pb that is brown/black at the bottom. Am I correct? If so, that is bad. I'm not talking about the brown sheaths on the pbs, that's normal. But the pb itself seems black/brown. It should not be brown or black.

Squeeze the black part of the pb, see if it feels really firm or a little spongy. If it's spongy, I'm afraid it is rotting. And the rot can affect the rest of the plant if you don't remove it.

Rot can be much worse than fungus, IMO. It's not uncommon for a new catt growth to rot out. All it takes is for some water to get into the tender folds of the new pb. When I was growing catts, I got several of those in any rainy period in summer. But you have to be careful with it, make sure it is not spreading. And IMO, you need to get the rotting growth off the plant, and apply an anti-bacterial like Physan 20 to the cut.

If you want to be dead certain before you start cutting, can you give us a close-up of the pbs? Maybe several shots, especially of the black new growth you are referring to.

Last edited by mehitabel; 10-18-2009 at 04:22 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to mehitabel For This Useful Post:
ALJ (10-18-2009)
Old 10-18-2009, 07:57 PM

Upon closer inspection, the gray areas on the old pbs are in fact dried sheaths. I squeezed the pbs and they are fairly firm (except for the shriveled ones of course). However I am still concerned with the what you see in the pics below.

Pic 1. Is this suppose to dry out and come off? There is a leaf attached to it up top.

Pic 2. I peeled away the sheath from this pb only to reveal this brown patch. Is that rot?

Pic 3. This is the newest growth. It is darkening from the bottom. I also noticed that the emerging leaf is already turning brown.

I hope these pics help a little bit more.
Attached Thumbnails
iwanagaara3.jpg   iwanagaara4.jpg   iwanagaara5.jpg  
Old 10-18-2009, 08:40 PM
V.I.P Member

Thanked 1,030 Times in 630 Posts
digitalgate is on a distinguished road
i think it is combination of two problem. tiny insect may be thrips or mites. Which lead to fungus problem. So i suggest you apply fugicide and increase light level. for 2 day . Then spray white oil or white summer oil with surfactant. If it is thrips problem you can soak the plant check for insect. Then apply systemic pesticides like imidacloprid
The Following User Says Thank You to digitalgate For This Useful Post:
ALJ (10-18-2009)
Old 10-18-2009, 08:47 PM
V.I.P Member

Thanked 1,583 Times in 929 Posts
mehitabel is on a distinguished road
#1. Don't know if it's supposed to have a leaf attached,but if the whole thing comes off without harming the pb it seems to be attached to, just take it off and don't worry.

However, to the right there's what looks like a brown/black immature pb. This would worry me.

#2. Small tannish patch. Looks like it could even be sunburn or something like that -- sun that got in as the dried up sarong was splitting. I've had dark areas on totally healthy pbs, maybe sunburn. Again, I wouldn't worry.

However, immediately to the left that brown/black immature pb again.

#3. There it is, looks like rot at the bottom.

Can you hold the plant up so that the bottom of that pb is right at reading distance and at eye level? If so, does the pb seem to get skinnier there, right where the pb starts upward.

Feel the bottom right where it starts upward. My guess is it will feel a little soft. Not necessarily mushy, but as tho it's packed with crumpled newspaper instead of a nice fat pb. If so, it's probably rot, and the two pieces (separated by rot) are being held together by the papery outside layer.

As I said, it's not uncommon in new pbs-- the tissue is very tender, and all those folds-- water can get trapped in there and start some rot. So, since it's a newish pb, I think it is quite likely it's rot. But it's your catt and you're the guy in charge. You have to decide how to proceed.

All I can say is that if you look at it really close, holding it at eye level and reading distance, and if it is rot, it will definitely look "wrong". Put it on a mantle or a high dresser or a bookcase if you have to, to get a good look. If you look that close, it won't look like just a dark place on a healthy pb, it will look off. Same as someone who is really sick wouldn't look "right".

Also, if there is rot at the bottom, the upper part of the pb is being affected-- at minimum it is being starved of nutrients, so the upper part won't look quite "right" either.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mehitabel For This Useful Post:
ALJ (10-18-2009), koshki (10-18-2009), Ms...Mary (10-19-2009)
Old 10-19-2009, 03:17 PM
Member Photobucket

11Orchid126 is on a distinguished road
My Iwanagara Appleblossom turned a dark maroon red when it was outside. When I brought it indoors for the winter the color gradually returned to green.
Old 10-20-2009, 01:33 AM

So I peeled back the sheath on the new growth and the bottom is green and firm. It was the sheath that was turning brown/black so that's normal. The other growth (with the brown patch) feels a bit softer than before. I don't know if the leaves are sunburned since it is the furthest from the lights (I grow indoors). And I can't think of something that I did to make the leaves change. I think I will cut off the most recent pbs and see what grows in it's place. Should I do a fungicide/insecticide at this time or is the plant too weak?

Thank you mehitabel and everyone else for your help. I have yet to see this orchid bloom. I'm hoping it will make it to blooming size.
Old 10-20-2009, 02:59 PM
Member Photobucket

11Orchid126 is on a distinguished road
DO NOT cut off the most recent pbulbs! They are the growing point of the orchid and it can set the orchid back years. DO NOT cut off anything until you know what you're dealing with. The skin -like covering over the bulbs is called a sarong. It protects the bulb until it matures, then no longer needed, it dries up. It can look ugly. Peeling off the sarong is okay.