Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > Orchid Care > Orchid Pests and Diseases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2005, 01:07 PM
jacky

Which spray

Been cleaning up my orchids and the greenhouse for the winter. Have re-potted a bunch. All are cleaned up, as is the greenhouse. Have re-finished the benches. But I still have a nagging problem with mealy bugs. The GH is as clean as I can get it. The plants in it have all been washed and sprayed and are as clean as I know how to get them. I still have about 25 to clean, re-pot and spray. Now, my question is: As I inspect my darlings every day, what spray should I have on hand to ZAP any little bugger that I find on my orchid?
Old 10-16-2005, 05:08 PM
Site Owner
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Dave has a reputation beyond reputeDave has a reputation beyond reputeDave has a reputation beyond reputeDave has a reputation beyond reputeDave has a reputation beyond reputeDave has a reputation beyond reputeDave has a reputation beyond reputeDave has a reputation beyond reputeDave has a reputation beyond reputeDave has a reputation beyond reputeDave has a reputation beyond repute
Well if you handle your orchids with your bare hands, you may want to use a non toxic insecticidal soap. You see with a chemical based spray, you may spray a plant and then two weeks later not remembering you pick up the same plant and touch where you sprayed...

I believe twilry had a good recipe to make your own solution.
Old 11-09-2005, 04:16 PM

argus is on a distinguished road
A commercial insecticidal soap is a pretty good choice. I also use Sunspray horticultural oil, which is just that, an oil, so its pretty benign. Just be sure not to breathe in the oil while you spray. Also, test it out on a few plants first and do not use it during extremely warm bright weather. I find it very effective against mealy bugs and I find it safe for indoor use.
Old 11-09-2005, 07:46 PM
Site Owner
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Dave has a reputation beyond reputeDave has a reputation beyond reputeDave has a reputation beyond reputeDave has a reputation beyond reputeDave has a reputation beyond reputeDave has a reputation beyond reputeDave has a reputation beyond reputeDave has a reputation beyond reputeDave has a reputation beyond reputeDave has a reputation beyond reputeDave has a reputation beyond repute
O how I hate mealy bugs! lol when every I think I've gotten rid of them I see one or two more hiding underneath some l eaves.
Old 11-10-2005, 10:50 AM

Gin is on a distinguished road
I might be roasted for this lol .
I use Orthene wettable powder a systemic at weekly interval for 3 weeks if I see any sign of mealies or scale spraying just the roots, for the tops I use an insect soap .
Long time ago I had a bad outbreak of mealies ,they wrecked a lot of plants , I ended up having to dip over 200 plants (outside) gloves ect.
I don't think it will kill mites , but the safers will . Take no prisioners ! Gin
Old 11-10-2005, 02:34 PM

Lynne Tyson is on a distinguished road
Try Merit wp 75.
Old 11-16-2005, 01:37 PM

Julie is on a distinguished road
Neem Oil

I've always found Neem Oil to be relatively effective, especially if you have mealybugs. It's also non-toxic, though a, onion soup-like smell will linger for about a day.
Old 11-16-2005, 04:29 PM

phillipinmissouri is on a distinguished road
for those with as yet small collections(like myself)can treat some pests with pure denatured as you find them,when I handle them i look under leaves and such and when I find the pests I use either a qtip or small paint brush to knock them out,But I have seen some good suggestions on here I will try in the future.I also make some soap like stuff with dish soap,alchohol and a and a table spoon of tobacco tea in a spray bottle with distilles water and find this discourages many pests.
phil