Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Catt Mandu
  • 1 Post By Daethen
  • 1 Post By Antonia

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2014, 03:51 AM

Zellsplants is on a distinguished road
What's wrong with my Orchids?

Hello to all the Orchid Geeks out there!
I have owned orchids for only a year now (have 7 in my collection).
I unfortunately don't know what type of orchid each one is, I've tried to look them up on the net but it turns out to be harder than I thought for un unexperienced grower like me.
Anyway I have 3 orchids showing different signs of problems in their leaves.
One I found out after some searching yesterday that it had soft brown rot on 2 of it's leaves. I read I must cut the effected leaves off and spray with an anti fungal spray. I don't have spray at the moment so I just cleaned a sharp scissors with alcohol and cut the leaves and then dipped an earbud in alcohol and wiped over the cut area on the plant to kill any germs.....(hope I did right).

The other 2 plants I could not really figure out what they have and what to do about it....

Could you more experienced growers please help?
Attached Thumbnails
img-20141007-wa0006.jpg   img-20141007-wa0007.jpg   img-20141007-wa0009.jpg   img-20141007-wa0011.jpg  
Old 10-08-2014, 04:48 AM
V.I.P Member
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Catt Mandu is on a distinguished road
Both of the damaged leaves in the photos shows symptoms of tissue damage, possibly due to sunburn or too much cold.

If the leaves don't develop a rot, I would leave them alone.
Nexogen and kdennis14 like this.
Old 10-08-2014, 05:07 AM

I'm so glad to hear that. Thanks for the feed back.

One more question: Do you spray your orchids? I was told today that I should spray them to keep humidity high. (I have been watering them one every 2 weeks in winter and once a week in summer)
Old 10-08-2014, 07:21 AM
V.I.P Member
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thanked 1,053 Times in 876 Posts
Daethen is on a distinguished road
No, you do not need to spray the leaves. It can lead to problems unless you have really good air flow. You have pictured 2 phalaenopsis orchids, btw.
Zellsplants likes this.

don't sweat the small stuff and in the end it's all small stuff
The Following User Says Thank You to Daethen For This Useful Post:
Zellsplants (10-08-2014)
Old 10-08-2014, 12:24 PM

Antonia is on a distinguished road
When I find a dark spot on my orchids, I follow this "protocol":
1. Check color: if its purple/red, then it's related to too much light so I should decrease the light levels and leave it alone. If not, go to step number two:
2. Check location: If it is not on the leaves (stem, pb or crown)... PANIC!!! Then repot-> cut and treat ASAP. If it is on the leaves, then go to step number three:
3. Check whether it spreads: I observe it carefully for 1 day. If not, it is probably damaged tissue because of sunburn/physical wound so I should decrease sun exposure or check if there's damaged tissue, then leave it alone. If yes, go to step number four:
4. Check location of the leaves: if it is on the leave's tips it might be due to intoxication by fertilizer, but it should spread rather slowly. If it is somewhere else on the leaves or I'm not convinced, I check the Internet to see what it looks like (bacterial, fungal...). Then I cut the area with sterilized scissors and apply treatment according to what I think it is (fungicide, hydrogen peroxide, cinnamon, pest control, etc.). If the spreading stops, then I chill out. If not, go to step number 5:
5. Check other symptoms: if the plant starts to dehydrate along with the spreading of dark spots and none of the steps above had involved repotting, then I repot and check whether there is root rot or other factors I haven't checked before.
If definitely none of the above measures have worked, then I should consider a virus, but it has not happened to me yet.
The main message is: don't cut healthy tissue if that measure really does not treat a threat to the overall health of the plant. Sunburns, physical damage or cold/warm-induced shocks can be among the causes and the best solution is leaving the plant be. However, there are other factors that you should observe carefully and learn how to treat depending on what you think it's the cause, so besides cutting tissue, you have to take into consideration other measures.
Hope my method helps!
Zellsplants likes this.
Old 10-08-2014, 12:45 PM

Thanks very much...
That is helpful - will do that from now on