Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > Orchid Care > Orchid Pests and Diseases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2018, 04:29 PM

Orchidkeeperwannabe is on a distinguished road
What is this sticky stuff???

Hey everyone....I just noticed that a couple of my newly acquired phals (x-mas gifts) have powdery/spongy white specks of stuff under the leaves and the underside is very sticky-gooey to the touch....I wiped off the white specks with a wet paper towel but am concerned that this is something that will spread to my other orhcids.... The plants otherwise look very healthy and the leaves are green and plump -- also in bloom....Thoughts???

UPDATE: I just read some articles and looked at the leaves with a flashlight -- it is mealybugs .....So, now the question is "what is the best way to get rid of these???".....Thx folks!!!!

Last edited by Orchidkeeperwannabe; 01-30-2018 at 06:54 PM.
Old 01-30-2018, 06:06 PM
V.I.P Member
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Catt Mandu is on a distinguished road
If the stuff returns, can you post a picture? Without that, my best guess is it is a residue from insects, such as scale.
Old 01-31-2018, 12:49 AM
V.I.P Member
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thanked 2,832 Times in 1,278 Posts
Anton is a glorious beacon of lightAnton is a glorious beacon of lightAnton is a glorious beacon of lightAnton is a glorious beacon of lightAnton is a glorious beacon of lightAnton is a glorious beacon of light
It is not mealy, it is a form of fluffy scale and is in plague proportions here in Adelaide. I use neat methylated spirits, not sure what it is called in the States (?wood alcohol), but it is a strong neat alcohol liquid(non drinking) and rub it on the leaves with a soaked cloth.

This is the only way I know of getting rid of it. I found that it is mainly on Cattleas but has also infested my Phallies. The adults are very tiny white things that fly, so I would suggest getting a scale spray and really spray your plants well.

The way I find it is that the leaves have pale spots on the top, but,when you check the underside, that is where you find them. I can post images of what to look for.

As I have a lot of Spanish Moss / Grandfathers Beard hanging off Vandas and benches in the warm house, I found that these little buggers are breeding in this and wonderd what the little white thingies were that came off the Vandas when brushing past them, NOW I know !!!!
Old 06-09-2018, 02:33 AM
Banned

JosephLopez is on a distinguished road
post the picture so that it could be easy to tell.