• 1 Post By Smurfette
  • 2 Post By Smurfette
  • 1 Post By Smurfette

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2012, 08:38 AM

Smurfette is on a distinguished road
Question What is going on here?

Hi all

I got this little thing through the post, it is supposed to be a Cattleya Mossaie. When I got it out of the parcel it wasn't looking the best from my point of view (but I am a newbie so I don't know much really!!!).

I'm not sure if the bulbs are meant to be that way (ridged) and it has white "skin" surrounding them like it is shedding. Also, the new growth has a black base on it which I'm not sure about and one of the smaller bulbs has two or three little black areas on it. Am worried about rot.

When I took it from its pot the roots are all slimy and mushy and appear to have green slimy stuff on them, a bit like algae or the green stuff you get on paths when it has been wet for a long time? Some of the roots near the base of the bulbs have black areas on them similar to the ones on the bulb.

I contacted the grower who said she only sells healthy plants and wasn't any help to me at all, brushing it off as being in the post for a few days and may be dehydrated. Judging by the roots I think it may be dehydrated because all the roots are rotten but thought I'd ask you all before I get back to her again.

Photos are as good as I can get them, hope you get the idea from them

Patience is a virtue gained by growing orchids
Old 08-08-2012, 08:45 AM
V.I.P Member
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Catt Mandu is on a distinguished road
Sorry - no photos were attached?
Smurfette likes this.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:45 AM

And here are the photo's I forgot to attatch!!! I do it every time!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
8th-august-2012-080.jpg   8th-august-2012-083.jpg   8th-august-2012-078.jpg   8th-august-2012-084.jpg  

Old 08-08-2012, 08:46 AM

Thanks Catt - just pressed the post button when I realised!!!!!!

Old 08-08-2012, 09:07 AM
V.I.P Member

Until you have some photos up, here are some quick observations.

Looking at photos on the web of this species, healthy plants can show moderate ridging. The papery stuff shedding from the pseudobulbs can also be normal (all of my Catts. do this as new pseudobulbs age).

The black is hard to assess without photos, but you could be right, it could be rot.

The roots should not be slimy or mushy. Being in the post for a few days will not cause this. For what it is worth, if I were ordering by mail/internet, etc., I would pay the extra charges to have plants shipped overnight, or no more than 2 day delivery.

Is this from a large scale dealer, or an E-bay type purchase? (Don't reveal the name in the forum, I am just trying to assess what type of grower it is) Is the dealer in the U.K.?

If the dealer is a large scale nursery in the U.K., rather than an E-bay type seller or an international seller, possibly you have some recourse if they won't offer a refund. I don't know what the recourse may be in the U.K. (other UK geeks might?). Ask the seller again to make things right. If she refuses, let her know that you will be steering orchid growers that ask away from her business.

Sorry you are having difficulties. Good luck!
Smurfette (08-08-2012)
Old 08-08-2012, 09:17 AM

Thanks Catt - I thought the same thing about the roots. She is an internet dealer from the EU but, because I bought through paypal I do have recourse to get my money back if she will not resolve the issue (always use something like that because you just never know!!!). I'm not sure how big her business is but if she thinks that this is healthy then I don't think she'll be in business for long!!

Anyway, photos are up, so you can see what I mean.

Thank you

Old 08-08-2012, 09:27 AM
Executive Senior Member

PaulB is on a distinguished road
From the photos, some of the things are pretty normal, like the black sheath at the base, and the shedding skin. But the black spots? No. Fuzzy pics, but if the roots are mushy and brown, that wasn't caused by a couple days in transit. If it were, why do you have nice green roots mixed in?
It just occurred to me, that just about any grower can say "I only send healthy plants, it must have been the Post" and be off the hook.
Bottom line, is if you are not happy, it should be replaced or your money back. There are too many legitimate and honorable sellers out there who want your business and will stand up for it.
The Following User Says Thank You to PaulB For This Useful Post:
Smurfette (08-08-2012)
Old 08-08-2012, 09:33 AM
V.I.P Member

Hi Smurfette

I saw the pics right after I posted.

The black at the base of the new lead still may or may not be rot. I have seen some perfectly healthy growths that start out like this at the base (the black sheath covering the base of the pseudobulb eventually goes dry and straw-colored and things are OK from that point on). Others die after the black. You should watch it closely for signs of yellowing or progression of any rot.

I see some roots that look OK in the photo, some that may be dead. The older pseudobulbs are definitely dehydrated (and unless it has been in transit a month, it was shipped in this condition; marks against the seller for dishonesty).

Whether you try to get a refund or not is up to you, but if you decide to keep it, I am re-posting some instructions from an old post on how to deal with a plant where some roots are bad. Some edits here and there, sorry for repeating stuff you have already done:

The approach I take when re-potting an (epiphytic) orchid that I think, or know, has some root rot is this.

1. Have a few basic supplies and tools ready. New pot [I think terra cotta is best, but that is my personal preference], new growing media of your choice [coarse bark-based mix or other coarse media preferred for most epiphytes], sterilized cutting tools (snips, Xacto knife, etc.)

2. Carefully remove the plant and old potting media from the old pot. Any roots adhering tightly to the pot? Good - those roots may be alive, do your best to minimize damaging them (some damage is inevitable, just try to minimize it).

3. Remove as much of the old potting media from around the roots as you can. Pull off the loose, partially decomposed stuff, which is often darker and softer with bark. If roots
are clinging tightly to some of the bark, I tend to leave that bark alone.

4. When you have removed all of the old media that you can, some of the roots will be obviously dead. remove those with your sterilized cutting tool.

5. At this point, what I usually do is carefully wash any loose, decomposed media off with running tap water.

6. Wash the old pot out to remove as much debris as you can.

7. This part sounds a little odd, but helps. Set the cleaned root ball back into the old cleaned pot. Find a shady place that will not be affected by rain, etc. (indoors, with good air movement, is best) Leave the plant there for a few days and let the roots dry off completely. 3 to 5 days should be enough (this will not hurt an epiphyte, as the roots are adapted to periodic drying).

8. Have another sterile cutting tool ready. Look at the remaining roots and feel them between your fingers. Do any feel dry, soft and papery? Those roots are dead and should be cut off. Are any roots firm and either green, yellow or white, especially with any apparent growing tips? Good, you have some healthy roots to save and get your plant started again.

9. The drying period allows wounded roots some time to heal before re-potting. It is also good to [broken tips of] roots with something to retard rot - ground cinnamon (yes-from the kitchen!) works well.

10. Put the root system in the NEW pot. Place dry, new potting medium around the root system.

11. I usually wait a day or two before I water the plant again. Then, when I start watering, I do so sparingly at first. Then water really well once a week, and leave it alone in between until the roots start really growing again.

I hope this helps!
PaulB and Smurfette like this.
Smurfette (08-08-2012)
Old 08-08-2012, 09:34 AM

yes Paul, the roots were the thing that made me unconvinced about the health of the plant - that in itself is problematic never mind the rest of the things I wasn't sure about!! My camera and my photographic skills are terrible at close up shots which doesn't help much with identifying problems from a Geeks point of view but at least I have some idea of what to expect now!!!

PaulB likes this.

Old 08-08-2012, 09:36 AM

jsehorn is on a distinguished road
Like Paul said, the plant isn't in horrible shape, but it's not the finest specimen you could have got. The seller sent you the plant in the same condition it was in when you got it. The damage is not from shipment. It'll be alright. Just care for it properly, and it will bounce back quite nicely, but if you are unsatisfied, express your dissatisfaction to the seller, especially if you feel (s)he misrepresented the condition of the plant.
PaulB and Catt Mandu like this.
Smurfette (08-08-2012)
Old 08-08-2012, 09:43 AM

Catt - Thanks for that, I have it unpotted in a new plastic pot at the minute (just what I have to hand right now but I agree, terracotta pots are so good) and was just debating whether to leave it as it is to dry out and then cut all the rotten roots away or cut now then leave it to dry. I'm off to find my scalpels and dig the cinnamon out of the cupboard now after reading your post and sort out the rotten from the good..... then keep my fingers crossed. I'm hoping the new growth is just a black sheath as it is about the only good thing going for this plant at the minute (poor thing) but it has a defined edge to it and doesn't feel soft at all so here's hoping eh??

Thanks for your advice, I'm going to print it out and stick it in my new orchid scrapbook thingie I have made to keep useful advice at hand and also record other stuff like where they came from, flowering, repots etc so it is all in one place.

1joyceh, PaulB and Catt Mandu like this.

Old 08-08-2012, 10:04 AM
V.I.P Member

I'm glad my instructions will become sort of your own personal "stickie"!

The notebook is a great idea. I wish I did that when I started out. I do have left over some old records here and there, like the odd sales receipt from some old plant purchase.
PaulB likes this.
Smurfette (08-08-2012)
Old 08-08-2012, 10:42 AM

I am so disorganised mostly so I decided that I would start as I mean to go on with my orchid obsession - may save me heaps of trouble later on!!!

Old 08-08-2012, 10:49 AM

jsehorn - I certainly will be expressing my dissatisfaction, and giving her a very wide bearth. The good thing is that I am able to rate my purchase too (similar to ebay) so I will be able to help steer others away from her too!!!

On a more general note, I have just finished "trimming" the roots but it turned out to be more of a cull than anything else!!!! I am left with three very short roots and I have removed the bulb with the black spots on it as all the roots were rotten right up to the bulb and, where I cut them, were black inside too!! This bulb had no viable roots left anyway so I decided to take a chance and get rid of it - a sort of "if in doubt get it out" method. I am left with two bulbs and the new growth in a small plastic pot to air dry for a couple of days then I'll have to reassess the situation.

Here's to my little poorly orchid...........
PaulB likes this.

Old 08-08-2012, 01:38 PM

empress is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurfette View Post
Thanks for your advice, I'm going to print it out and stick it in my new orchid scrapbook thingie I have made to keep useful advice at hand and also record other stuff like where they came from, flowering, repots etc so it is all in one place.
Hey! I have one of these too. But its an on-the-computer version. Its free! And easy to use. Its called Evernote. It has an application for your desktop, your phone, and/or your tablet. So you can have it with you anywhere! I downloaded a tool onto my browser that allows me to 'clip' articles and posts and it saves it for me in a 'notebook.' It also saves the website I retrieved it from so I can always refer back to the actual page.
LOVE IT!
It saves paper and ink. You should try it!

And to your Catt. I would trim the roots ASAP and repot. That way, it will get to recuperation sooner rather than wasting time and energy trying to save itself. Thats my 2 cents.

Good luck!
PaulB and Catt Mandu like this.

Garden Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Journal Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Photography

The Following User Says Thank You to empress For This Useful Post:
Catt Mandu (08-08-2012)
Old 08-08-2012, 02:14 PM
V.I.P Member

I'll have to look up Evernote! Thanks
snazzyboots likes this.
Old 08-08-2012, 02:15 PM

SK7 is on a distinguished road
You could put some hydrogen peroxide(3%) on any of the black that is left.
empress likes this.
Old 08-08-2012, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catt Mandu View Post
I'll have to look up Evernote! Thanks
I love it! Hope you do too!

Old 08-08-2012, 02:44 PM

I'm so bad at using and untrusting of technology (probably because I am so bad with technology) that I would rather have a hard copy in my hand! Except for my kindle but only because it's lighter to use than holding a big thick book when I'm reading in bed!!!

Have removed all the roots and one of the bulbs (it was black inside and didn't want to risk it!!!) so now I have three little roots left, two bulbs and a new growth. I'm leaving it for a couple of days unpotted then I'm going to repot and keep my fingers crossed. Hope it pulls through but I know it'll be a while before anything happens.

Will keep you all posted

Thanks guys and gals
PaulB likes this.

The Following User Says Thank You to Smurfette For This Useful Post:
1joyceh (08-08-2012)
Old 08-08-2012, 03:28 PM

Quote:
I'm so bad at using and untrusting of technology (probably because I am so bad with technology) that I would rather have a hard copy in my hand! Except for my kindle but only because it's lighter to use than holding a big thick book when I'm reading in bed!!!

Have removed all the roots and one of the bulbs (it was black inside and didn't want to risk it!!!) so now I have three little roots left, two bulbs and a new growth. I'm leaving it for a couple of days unpotted then I'm going to repot and keep my fingers crossed. Hope it pulls through but I know it'll be a while before anything happens.

Will keep you all posted

Thanks guys and gals
You can use it on your Kindle! Well, Kindle Fire anyways... But hard copies do prove to be most useful in the long run. I would just become hoarder status if I did that. ^^;; I tend to hold onto to everything. Get it from my grandma.

Remember to repot it into a smaller pot. Just big enough to hold the roots is the general rule. I like to go even slightly smaller if I can. Works better for me.

Good luck!
Catt Mandu likes this.

Smurfette (08-08-2012)
Old 08-08-2012, 04:15 PM
V.I.P Member

Quote:

Will keep you all posted

Thanks guys and gals
It sound like you are doing everything you can - good luck!
Old 08-08-2012, 06:27 PM

Mine is just a basic kindle but even if I could I'd stick with the book!!! And I have the same hoarding tendency from my Grandma too!!! All the women in the family do!!!

I have the little pudding pots on standby, bit dubious about how it'll do but not going to consign it to the bin til all hope is lost!!! I don't think I'll need the hydrogen peroxide yet - I cut everything off that had even the remotes black bit on it (except for the new growth which I am praying has just got a black sheath and is nothing to worry about!!!)

Thanks to all for your help
empress likes this.

Old 08-09-2012, 07:08 AM
V.I.P Member

Thanked 6,637 Times in 2,844 Posts
Brooke is on a distinguished road
The black area on the new growth is called the bract. Sometimes water gets trapped and you will get a slight bacterial or fungal infection. Remove the bract and your new growth should be fine. BTW it could have happened in transit in the box because it can happen in a matter of hours.

Be sure you study the winter requirements of the mossiae - they are a little pickier than the typical Catt hybrid.

Good luck with it.

Brooke
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brooke For This Useful Post:
PaulB (08-09-2012), Smurfette (08-09-2012)
Old 08-09-2012, 07:13 AM
V.I.P Member

Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,236 Posts
1joyceh is on a distinguished road
Brooke, I have a mossiae seedling....so I know it needs a winter rest....but not sure about the light....less light also?
Old 08-09-2012, 07:23 AM

Thanks Brooke, did wonder whether this would come off on its own because the other bulbs have papery stuff on them which is coming off rapidly, will have a go at removing it carefully. The rest of the growth looks fine though so I'm hoping for the best. I only have three tiny roots left from the pot ful I started with so would a bit of hormone gel help a bit to encourage some new growth or would it be better to leave it do it's own thing??? Even my seedling had more roots than this!!!!

Old 08-09-2012, 09:08 AM
V.I.P Member

Quote:
Thanks Brooke, did wonder whether this would come off on its own because the other bulbs have papery stuff on them which is coming off rapidly, will have a go at removing it carefully. The rest of the growth looks fine though so I'm hoping for the best. I only have three tiny roots left from the pot ful I started with so would a bit of hormone gel help a bit to encourage some new growth or would it be better to leave it do it's own thing??? Even my seedling had more roots than this!!!!
You have some roots already, and just good, basic care after your re-pot should be sufficient. Growing roots will produce side branches all on their own. IMO, I would just let it do its own thing.
Smurfette (08-09-2012)
Old 08-16-2012, 05:23 AM

Had a quick look this morning and, at the base of the new growth where I removed the bract, there looks to be two tiny root nubs appearing!!! I have tried to take a photo but can't get a clear shot because they are soooooooooo small!!!

Just thought I'd post an update, fingers crossed it is what I hope it is
1joyceh and Catt Mandu like this.

Old 08-16-2012, 05:47 AM
V.I.P Member

Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,236 Posts
1joyceh is on a distinguished road
Sounds like you are doing all the right things!!
Keep up the good work
The Following User Says Thank You to 1joyceh For This Useful Post:
Smurfette (08-16-2012)
Old 08-16-2012, 08:46 AM

Fingers crossed at least there has been no further black spots appearing either so I think that cutting the black spotted bulb off may have been the right thing to do after all!!!

Old 08-16-2012, 11:34 AM

Smurfette (08-16-2012)
Old 08-18-2012, 11:26 AM

Just been having a little peek under the bark around my poorly Catt. and I have SIX little root nubs burrowing down into the bark!!! I really didn't think I'd get much in the way of root growth for a while yet (especially as i ended up with only a small piece of plant left after surgery!!) so I'm massively surprised (victory dance round the kitchen!!!) at how quick she has put out (so to speak!!) so to all of you who gave me advice and support - it is working!!!!
jsehorn likes this.

Old 08-18-2012, 12:44 PM
V.I.P Member

Nettie:

Fantastic! I hope the recovery continues. Good work.