Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > Orchid Care > Orchid Pests and Diseases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2005, 08:13 AM
V.I.P Member
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thanked 1,239 Times in 532 Posts
jerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Try using cinnamom

cinnamom is a natural fungicide. It has the advantage of being safe for children and pets and even smells good. It can not do any harm to a plant.

It can be made into a paste to cover cuts or wounds. It can be sprinkled onto a wet leaf.

It can also be used to chase away ants. Sprinkle lightly on the surface of the potting medium and most ants will avoid the pot.
Old 08-08-2006, 03:06 PM
Member Photobucket

NancyG is on a distinguished road
good to know
thanks
Nancy
Old 08-12-2006, 04:50 PM

flaorchidfan is on a distinguished road
they should sell it next to that big bag of toxic dust i just bought. thanks for the hint.
Old 08-12-2006, 05:52 PM

love orchids too is on a distinguished road
I have used it on the top of the soil also to keep away those pesky fungus gnats. They dont seem to like it.

-Trish
Old 08-15-2006, 02:08 PM
Member Photobucket

Ellen is on a distinguished road
In addition to using straight cinnamon powder, a good way to use cinnamon is to get a big bottle of rubbing alcohol and add about a quarter cup of cinnamon to it. Let it sit a few days so that the alcohol becomes brown, then pour off the top liquid into a spray bottle. I use this all the time on my plants, and it seems to be fairly effective against fungus, mold, and such.
Old 08-16-2006, 12:44 AM
Super Moderator Photobucket

Cynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond repute
I like your idea Ellen and the use of it as a dusting on a wound. I don't like the paste idea because you would have to be concernd about keeping everything sterile while mixing and especially applying, since I don't know of any studies that show cinnamon kills virus, and you are applying this to an open wound. Atleast the extract idea does not need a sterilized tool to apply each time you use it. If anyone has anything on cinnamon killing virus, I would like to know about it. Cynthia