Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > Orchid Care > Orchid Pests and Diseases

Like Tree85Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2008, 07:41 PM

Mallardman is on a distinguished road
Now for the problem of getting the vodka.....
Old 10-26-2008, 08:26 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

PhalPal is a jewel in the roughPhalPal is a jewel in the roughPhalPal is a jewel in the roughPhalPal is a jewel in the rough
You can always just buy the ready made stuff - PharmSolutions, cinnamon flavor. It works great and isn't too pricey at $12.95 a quart.

It is very similiar to Brookes recipe but it has cottonseed oil in it as well to help suffocate the little buggers.

Do any of you remember the craze of turning an egg to rubber by putting it into a jar of vinegar for MONTHS???? I used to be so easily entertained! Chemistry was one of my favorite subjects in college and I thought I would hate it.
kdennis14 (11-22-2014)
Old 11-01-2008, 11:12 PM

Mallardman is on a distinguished road
its great for pests but don't spray it on flowers it killed my phallanopsis flowers oh pink leopard pattern you will be missed..... a lot
Old 11-01-2008, 11:34 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

articuno75 is on a distinguished road
I've never sprayed it on the blooms, sorry to hear that it aborted the blooms.

All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed: in life that which is unnoticed has the most power.
Old 11-02-2008, 01:33 AM

Lissbirds is on a distinguished road
I have some sort of unidentified bugs living on my den/phal's surface roots and I'm thinking of trying the cinnamon solution. The den is potted in PrimeAgra (semi-hydroponic), and it's in full bloom right now (50+ flowers!), so I'm a little worried about treating it. (I've never had so many blooms before...I'm like afraid to breathe on it!)

Is this safe to use for an orchid in bloom? (So long as I don't get it on any of the flowers, obviously.)

Also, should I spray, or soak, or just pour the solution on the roots? I'm kind of hesitant to soak it since it's semi-hydro, since it's not an organic medium, the whole pot would be filled with drenched with the solution and that kind of worries me. Do you need to rinse afterwords? Also, how long should I treat? (I know, you can't really tell unless you know what kind of pest it is...I'll have to take some pictures tomorrow in the daytime so someone can identify these things.)
Old 11-02-2008, 11:07 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Hello Lissbirds and welcome to the forum!

I wouldn't spray it on the flowers. For flowers and buds I use wormtea and it does a pretty good job and doesn't harm blooms or buds. As for the plant itself submerging the pot and letting it soak is best. This will not hurt the plant. Let it soak for a few. I've even let mine soak for hours without any ill effects. This also goes for my plants that are in S/H.

You do have to rinse the medium afterwards. Spray the plant for what buggers is on there, except for the buds and blooms, and rinse the medium when finished. You don't have to wash the plant off.

Hope this helps.
kdennis14 likes this.

All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed: in life that which is unnoticed has the most power.
Old 11-02-2008, 08:56 PM

Lissbirds is on a distinguished road
Thanks, Jenny, for the warm welcome!

I'll give that a try when I can get out to the store and find that cinnamon extract. I was watering today and found those little bugs on two other orchids, which were also outside over the summer!

Also glad to hear I'm not the orchid enthusiast growing in S/H.
kdennis14 likes this.
Old 03-12-2009, 03:40 PM

CulpableCaptive is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by articuno75 View Post
I took all my newly bought chids and looked at the medium...
REPOT!!!

So.... I grab one orchid, clean it, repot. Noooo biggy. Next one,,, piece of cake . Then I grab The Burr. Dee Luce. OMG.....Everything known to man and then some was in that thing....

I'm talking snails with no shells, beetles, ants and yours truly, La Coo ka ra cha cockroach

I bout passed out.

Luckily I had made a batch of Brookn's dishsoap recipe in a big arse bowl and soaked them in it first. NO JOKE, It kills critters on contact. Even slugs and snails. I think it has to do with the extract. Don't know. All I know IT WORKS, I LIKE IT AND I'M STICKING TO IT....

Brookn, your mad science pays.....
I was so glad you posted this recipe the other day.
I happen to have cinnamon oil (medicinal quality) on hand and not only made your concoction but used it.
I did a little experiment - very little.
I sprayed other 'bug killers' I have on a few little critters and waited. They ended up going about their business.
I used the:
10 drops of detergent
1.8 ml of cinnamon extract
16 ounces of filtered water
on both previously sprayed bugs which were unaffected by my other 'bug killers' and I used it on bugs which had not been strayed with anything.
INSTANT DEATH.
I have already given away enough of this concoction to have used up all my cinnamon extract which was 29 ml (1 ounce).
I will go out and purchase more extract and hide it in a safety deposit box.
THE BEST INSECTICIDE I HAVE EVER USED and so far I have not seen any photo-sensitivity.
You meant it when you said - "NO JOKE"

EDIT: Although I will continue to use this as it, no doubt, works like a dream for its intended purpose...
- The new, more tender leaves and thin leaves of my Phaius foliage and the foliage of similar thinness on other orchids and houseplants are turning black. This is happening to both plants I have under fluorescent lights and natural daylight indoors.

I may need to tweak the formula a bit.
Or at the very least wait and see how far any damage to foliage may go.

“It is pleasant at times to play the madman.” – Seneca (5 BC – 65 AD)
kdennis14 likes this.

Last edited by CulpableCaptive; 03-13-2009 at 01:09 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to CulpableCaptive For This Useful Post:
kdennis14 (11-22-2014)
Old 03-12-2009, 04:19 PM
V.I.P Member

kid a is on a distinguished road
It does the trick! And very well! PLus it smells grreeeaaatttt! The recipe everyone should try hahaha! Me or Jenny usually end up telling someone the recipe at almost evey society meeting at the CIOS lol!
kdennis14 likes this.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/Ki...ws?ref=profile
Old 07-01-2009, 06:36 PM

uknowho is on a distinguished road
Cinnamon extract can also be found in the health suppliments section. I had no luck finding it on spice racks but found a bottle at Vitamin Shoppe. The GNC I checked do not carry it but some other might. Hope this help.

I am using it tonight on my plant but the mites are all over the blooms, not sure what I should do to get rid of those critters, since I do not have worm tea.
Old 10-09-2009, 10:47 PM

wasabi8888 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
10 drops dishsoap
1.8 ml cinnamon extract (about 1/2 tsp.)
2 cups tepid water

adjust ingredients as needed.

This is great for cleaning leaves, bacteria and fungal infections, bug teterrant, and now bug and slug killer !
Hi

Intereresting!!! Got a question though. After spraying the foliage and spagnum moss with the above recipe, do i need to hose down the the plants after?

Thanks

Jeff
Old 10-10-2009, 02:35 AM

katsrevenge is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasabi8888 View Post
Hi

Intereresting!!! Got a question though. After spraying the foliage and spagnum moss with the above recipe, do i need to hose down the the plants after?

Thanks

Jeff
I never do.

"In all things of nature there is something of the marvelous." --Aristotle
Old 10-12-2009, 04:54 AM

Hi

I live in Singapore and can't find cinnamon extract in the stores here.

I intend to get a friend to purchase from the US and send it over.

Question
1. Is Cinnamon extract a powdered form or liquid form?

2. I was searching the net and found that Mccormick brand carries the cinnamon extract. Can i purchase this? What other brands are there in the US so that I can give the right instructions to my friend.

Thanks heaps

Jeff
florence and kdennis14 like this.
Old 10-12-2009, 07:09 AM
V.I.P Member

Thanked 6,637 Times in 2,844 Posts
Brooke is on a distinguished road
Jeff read this thread

http://www.orchidgeeks.com/forum/orc...desiccant.html

A member, Ray, describes how to use the powdered form of cinnamon to add to any liquid solution you make. There is no reason to spend the extra $$$$$ to have the liquid shipped to you.

Brooke
kdennis14 likes this.
Old 10-12-2009, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
Jeff read this thread

A member, Ray, describes how to use the powdered form of cinnamon to add to any liquid solution you make. There is no reason to spend the extra $$$$$ to have the liquid shipped to you.

Brooke
Thanks.. Just posted a question on that thread....

I will look out for friends or colleagues who will be travelling to the States and ask them to buy for me... Shipping does not make sense of course....

Not sure there are other brands besides the Mccormick though
Old 10-15-2009, 12:26 PM

edgy is on a distinguished road
Soaked?

Hey, when you say you soaked the plant.....are you talking about the entire plant or just or just the potted portion......I'm about to bring some plants inside....before I do I want to repot and make sure I'm not bringing in any outside critters. What do you suggest?
Old 10-15-2009, 03:16 PM
V.I.P Member

kid a is on a distinguished road
Soak the whole plants leaves n all. After i take the plant out of it I usually run r/o water through the pot to rinse any soap residue. And I water them before hand. But if you are repotting them, just unpot and put the plant in it roots n all, if thre is an buggs you will see them fleeing for their lives if they are visible ones. I usually take a cotton ball or q-tip and clean the leaves while I am at it.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/Ki...ws?ref=profile
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kid a For This Useful Post:
edgy (10-16-2009), mehitabel (10-15-2009)
Old 10-16-2009, 10:23 AM

edgy is on a distinguished road
Ty

Thanks Kid A..........The winter here in Austin gets just cold enough that you don''t want to leave your plants outside and quite honestly......I think I'm ready to start growing a lot of them indoors now..........this was a great post and I'm glad that it's simple and natural.
Old 10-24-2009, 02:33 PM
Executive Senior Member

Dendian is on a distinguished road
Yesterday I used this recipie to douse all the S/H plants which were showing teeny tiny silvery bugs swiming on the surface when I watered them. I watered first (holding until roots I could see on top were green), then watered with the solution and waited until the buggies stopped swimming (holding holes again), then put a bit more clean water on the top to flush out the bodies, then let drain and watered through intil I figured all soapy media was washed out. I suspect that they may be mealybugs, since I have been seeing more and more of these on my plants (in onesies and twosies and cleaning each time, but still getting more) but I don't really care who they are, as long as they go away. I have also soaked some of the plants in bark approximately the same way (using cottage cheese containers and bowls to hold the water level up). I check my plants every few days, so will let you know if the pests are gone next time I water.

With all the information in this thread, and the number of times I have used it, I would like to vote that it be made a sticky so people can find it up at the top.... Please?
kdennis14 likes this.
kdennis14 (11-22-2014)
Old 10-25-2009, 12:42 AM
Member Photobucket

Schlyne is on a distinguished road
Yes, I also vote this be a sticky.

Here is what I used, and it's been working great on the false spider mites. I have been retreating my plant as I see hatchings from eggs which aren't killed or eggs that were missed, I think. I did not soak the plant.

for a 32 oz bottle:

1 ml cinnamon essential oil (totally different from the extract)
15 drops dishsoap
1 tsp 70% rubbing alcohol
the rest tepid water
kdennis14 likes this.
kdennis14 (11-22-2014)
Old 11-30-2009, 12:01 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

I have now made this a "sticky".
kdennis14 likes this.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to articuno75 For This Useful Post:
kdennis14 (11-22-2014), oncidiumlover (11-30-2009), Schlyne (12-01-2009), Sindiintx (01-05-2011)
Old 01-23-2010, 04:03 AM

posha10 is on a distinguished road
I just recieved about 1,000 worth of infested orchids from my father, who is an avid colllector. He said they have "scale" and "mealy bugs"??? Im not real sure what either are, or how to get rid of. I read somewhere to make a mixture (1pt.) of 1/2 water 1/2 rubbing alcohol, and 1tsp. of dish soap. Is this the correct procedure? What can I do to salvage these beautys? Please help! I dont have a lot of money to spend on them, I sure would like to bring them back though>? Is it possible. New orchid owner..........
kdennis14 likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to posha10 For This Useful Post:
AprilsOrchids (03-05-2010)
Old 01-23-2010, 04:30 AM

bibliofloris is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by posha10 View Post
I just recieved about 1,000 worth of infested orchids from my father, who is an avid colllector. He said they have "scale" and "mealy bugs"??? Im not real sure what either are, or how to get rid of. I read somewhere to make a mixture (1pt.) of 1/2 water 1/2 rubbing alcohol, and 1tsp. of dish soap. Is this the correct procedure? What can I do to salvage these beautys? Please help! I dont have a lot of money to spend on them, I sure would like to bring them back though>? Is it possible. New orchid owner..........
Hello, and welcome!

Mealybugs look like tiny wads of greyish spiderweb or cotton to me. Scale looks like brown bumps. Both are bugs that can harm your orchids.

In my opinion, you'll need more time and attention than money to try and get rid of these bugs -- so yes, you have a good chance, if you want to! It's time consuming because they're really good at hiding and you'll often have to retreat in case eggs survive after the adults are dead.

If you have any other orchids or houseplants that are not infested, I'd immediately separate them from these so they don't get infested.

I used brooken's recipe in this thread when I had a mealybug infestation (that's actually how I found this forum!). I watered the plants, took them out of their potting mix, and put them in large tupperwares with some of the recipe and shook them around until I was sure the mixture got everywhere. Then I rinsed them off really really well. I had to repeat this a couple more times with a week or so in between. If I'd had more patience, I probably could have retreated with a q-tip and rubbing alcohol, as long as I was very careful to check every nook and cranny. (This wasn't particularly gentle on the orchids, but my infestation was bad and none of them were in bloom. All seem to have survived the process so far.)

Here's a thread on mealy bugs, if you want more information.

And here's a thread on scale.

A Google image search should bring up lots of pictures to help you identify which is which.

Good luck! It will probably take a while to solve, but if you keep at it you can succeed.

Last edited by bibliofloris; 01-23-2010 at 04:34 AM. Reason: Edited for clarity.
The Following User Says Thank You to bibliofloris For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2010, 08:11 AM
Executive Senior Member Photobucket

tizzycat is on a distinguished road
I did succeed with scale by removing any visible ones with a cotton bud soaked in Methelated Spirit. I do realise this is not an option if you have hundreds of infected plants.
Old 01-27-2010, 10:40 AM
Executive Senior Member

mytwogirls is on a distinguished road
This whole thread has given me the creeps. I am scared to death of roaches...ewwwww! Jenny you are one brave woman!
Old 01-27-2010, 09:51 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

LOL

I'm creeped out that you actually read this whole thread.
This thread has gotten so big I'm surprised that it hasn't sprouted legs and started walking.
kdennis14 likes this.

The Following User Says Thank You to articuno75 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2010, 10:48 PM

purplegirl is on a distinguished road
Other critters

In one little pot--with a paphiopedilum I'd just bought--I once found:
--A heap of potting medium 2 feet wide.
--3 snails
--many many little brown bugs (fungus gnat larvae??)
--a centipede (!)
All in one little pot. Repotted it gingerly, but afterward, the poor ork died. I think it was my own fault, because I avoided it, not wanting more critter encoiunters. Next time, it's Brookn's remedy!
The Following User Says Thank You to purplegirl For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2010, 10:27 AM
Executive Senior Member

Quote:
LOL

I'm creeped out that you actually read this whole thread.
This thread has gotten so big I'm surprised that it hasn't sprouted legs and started walking.
It can sprout legs and walk....as long as it does not resemble a roach. If that happens I am outta here!
Old 02-02-2010, 02:38 PM

Orchid_Love is on a distinguished road
Do you think it would get rid of ants too that have made their home in cymbidiums pots? Can't wait to try it. Thanks!!
Old 02-02-2010, 05:10 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchid_Love View Post
Do you think it would get rid of ants too that have made their home in cymbidiums pots? Can't wait to try it. Thanks!!
Yes it kill ants. For some reason it kills only some spiders. It stuns the rest of them. I guess that's just enough to hurry up and squish them.

Old 02-02-2010, 05:59 PM
Executive Senior Member

Quote:
Yes it kill ants. For some reason it kills only some spiders. It stuns the rest of them. I guess that's just enough to hurry up and squish them.
Or hurry up and run away screaming
Old 02-10-2010, 07:44 PM

pinky is on a distinguished road
So for fungus gnats, would you just spray them and the medium, or would you have to soak the entire pot in the mixture so all the larvae are killed that are in the medium?
Old 02-12-2010, 01:51 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

I dunk my pots. You can do either or. I guess it would depend on convenience.

Old 02-25-2010, 05:16 AM

Sandrilene is on a distinguished road
yay I'm so happy I found this post I'm going to try that recipe next time I need to use stuff on my chids.
kdennis14 likes this.
Old 02-26-2010, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Well, I keep a small bottle of it handy in case of buggies, (yuck) so I can spray them. Then I make some when ever needed for cleaning and pretreating. I use it to clean the leaves and treat and pretreat for fungus and disease. I don't know if Brookn keeps a bottle off hand. I do know that it kills slugs, flys, gnats, and cockroaches~ (From soaking the pot). I had mites on my Cyms, but got rid of them. I don't know if it was from the mix though because I also treated with Bayer 3 in 1.

I just make enough that I'm going to use at the time, usually about a 1/2 gallon to a gallon or so. The recipe is very flexible.
General curiosity how long did you soak the plant in the mixture? I think I'm going to try it on one of my chids.
Old 02-27-2010, 09:39 AM

pinky is on a distinguished road
So, before I repot my new phal, I guess I will do the dunk just to be on the safe side/ This may sound absolutely stupid, but I just wanted to verify that this will in no way cause any harm to the orchid itself.. and also, do I thoroughly rinse after to remove all the soapy residue, or is it ok if it just dries out like that?? thanks!
Old 02-28-2010, 07:59 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

I usually soak between a half hour to an hour and then rinse really well. I keep a spray bottle with the stuff handy. it's a great wash for the leaves and controls the little buggers.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to articuno75 For This Useful Post:
AprilsOrchids (03-05-2010), krpot (03-26-2010)
Old 03-03-2010, 06:55 PM

foxfire is on a distinguished road
So if this awesome recipe can't be used on the flowers.. what can? I've got a zygo hybrid thats come down with some aphids...
Old 03-04-2010, 12:13 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Wormtea. If I'm not using this I use wormtea and it won't hurt the flowers. UNLESS they are white blooms. It might tinge them.

Old 03-05-2010, 07:31 PM

AprilsOrchids is on a distinguished road
big and yucky! too big to squish!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton View Post
ONLY an inch Kevin ????

I get 1 1/2" to 1 3/4" monsters in my GH regularly, that's what was eating my Rossioglossum and Coelogyne bulbs.

Ozzie roaches are REAL roaches.
you've got that right, Anton.

when i visited Australia, as a uni student, (long time ago now), staying in hostels, etc. i became used to dealing with critters in your bed, etc.

however, my most memorable bug experience was up towards Cairns, where the room had slatted doors - there was no keeping the bugs out anyway and you need the breezes during very hot nights and days.

anyway, i remember us sweeping the roaches out of our room every evening before going to bed, cuz they were to big to squish -- seriously they made the biggest, gross-ist sound if you stepped on them cuz they were twice as big as our one dollar coin (called a loonie with a picture of a loon on one side).

so sweeping em out seemed the best way to go.

yuck! i haven't thought about this for a long time.

April
Old 03-06-2010, 01:18 AM

u could still soak the rest of the plant and just dab at the critters u see on the flowers over the course of a few days.

Last edited by Sandrilene; 03-06-2010 at 01:20 AM.
Old 03-12-2010, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinky View Post
So for fungus gnats, would you just spray them and the medium, or would you have to soak the entire pot in the mixture so all the larvae are killed that are in the medium?
I just got rid of all my fungus gnats with this stuff I would submerge or make a batch and get two containers and flush the medium and orchid with it cause they are craft buggers dunking is best because soon as the water starts touching them mine fly off so i just dunk em so they don`t have a chance. This is my reaction. and i usually laugh evilly as i kill the bugs. In fact i recommend it its fun. ignore the people who look at you like you are crazy when you do so. I always do.
Old 03-25-2010, 03:11 PM

psychopsislover is on a distinguished road
how often do you spray? Just when you see it, or do you routine do to clean the leaves and all? Thanks for the recipe.
Old 03-26-2010, 10:12 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

I spray routinely every couple of weeks or so as maintenence. It can be used as often as you want as it does not harm the plants.

Old 03-26-2010, 09:48 PM
V.I.P Member

Thanked 4,080 Times in 1,190 Posts
Shannara is on a distinguished road
Quote:
10 drops dishsoap
1.8 ml cinnamon extract (about 1/2 tsp.)
2 cups tepid water

adjust ingredients as needed.

This is great for cleaning leaves, bacteria and fungal infections, bug teterrant, and now bug and slug killer !
I am going to try this sometime. I saw a naughty slug come out of one of my pots today!! Does the brand or type of dishsoap matter?

Thanks!
Shann~
Old 03-26-2010, 10:40 PM

Julez is on a distinguished road
I thought I read somewhere they used a Phospherus free - Morning Fresh?

I just checked my Morning fresh dish soap and it is Phospherus free.

Julez
"from the land downunder"
Old 05-30-2010, 07:42 AM
Super Moderator Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thanked 4,422 Times in 3,810 Posts
orchids4me is on a distinguished road
Question

Hi jenny,
Question about the worm tea.... Are you using a purchased bottle type or home made? Just wondering becaus I'm not sure if the kind you buy is clear or not vs. Homemade is tea color and will (if using homemade) spot up blooms and plant because of its color? If home made is ok and its gets splotchy (is that a word? Its underlined lol) what do I use to clean up the leaves that is safe to use? because for dust I'm using a fluffy feather duster very gently.
Thank you,
Emmaye

Daisy 2003 -2013
Life is too short.... Buy more orchids!!!!

Emmaye
Old 07-27-2010, 08:09 PM
Member Photobucket

PocoGigio is on a distinguished road
Tried the "Best Stuff Evah" on my Onc. cheirophorum seedling in s/h. It was getting that light reddish brown rot that likes to creep along the leaves and p'bulbs. This stuff stopped it cold. I think it's saved.
Thanks Brooke.

Paula
Old 07-28-2010, 12:04 PM

jims406ss is on a distinguished road
I have a question re: spider mites

I have some mites on one of my orchids use to have them on all of them I am spraying it with neem oil is that good stuff or is there somthing better. Just starting here have 5 now. appreciate all the help I can get
Old 07-30-2010, 09:29 AM
Executive Senior Member

zaeem is on a distinguished road
neem oil is preventive.you have to use insecticide to kill mites etc.,
zaeem
Old 08-04-2010, 02:09 PM

The newcomer is on a distinguished road
so basically you just spray the plant with this stuff? and you can use any kind of dish soap? and can you use just regular tap water? so soap is ok to use on orchids?
Old 08-04-2010, 02:20 PM
V.I.P Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The newcomer View Post
so basically you just spray the plant with this stuff? and you can use any kind of dish soap? and can you use just regular tap water? so soap is ok to use on orchids?
I can never find cinnamon oil so I buy a premix off of repotme.com called "Get Off Me" that is made from cinnamon and soap and I add rubbing alcohol to it. Seems to work pretty good, plus if I get the spray all over me I am not worried about it and just end up smelling like cinnamon. Kinda nice!! lol

Shann~

>>
My 2012 Grow Area<<
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shannara For This Useful Post:
psyc1210 (08-16-2010), zaeem (08-04-2010)
Old 08-04-2010, 02:32 PM

oh ok, i have cinnamon will that work too? and all i need to know is if i can use hand soap because i don't have dish soap.
and tapid water just means lukewarm water but boil one part and cold on the other, should that be put in last? and is it still useful when it cools down?

sorry im a total noob at this.
Old 08-04-2010, 03:01 PM
Member Photobucket

11Orchid126 is on a distinguished road
Try the spice aisle in your supermarket for the cinnamon oil.
Old 08-04-2010, 04:11 PM
V.I.P Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The newcomer View Post
oh ok, i have cinnamon will that work too? and all i need to know is if i can use hand soap because i don't have dish soap.
and tapid water just means lukewarm water but boil one part and cold on the other, should that be put in last? and is it still useful when it cools down?

sorry im a total noob at this.
Cinnamon powder isn't the same thing...you need cinnamon oil and I can never find it.

Good luck...

Shann~

>>
My 2012 Grow Area<<
Old 08-04-2010, 04:42 PM
Super Moderator Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thanked 4,422 Times in 3,810 Posts
orchids4me is on a distinguished road
[QUOTE=Shannara;225679]Cinnamon powder isn't the same thing...you need cinnamon oil and I can never find it.

Good luck...

Shann~[/QUOTE)

I found cinnamon extract at safeway grocery store. It should be carried by most chain grocery stores on the spice isle usually kept same area as vanilla extract up top shelf area above all the powder spices. McCormick is the brand we find this area (most common brand)
Emmaye

Daisy 2003 -2013
Life is too short.... Buy more orchids!!!!

Emmaye
Old 08-04-2010, 05:12 PM
V.I.P Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orchids4me View Post
I found cinnamon extract at safeway grocery store. It should be carried by most chain grocery stores on the spice isle usually kept same area as vanilla extract up top shelf area above all the powder spices. McCormick is the brand we find this area (most common brand)
Emmaye
I've looked all over all the spice isle's in several stores and it is nowhere to be found. I even looked last night in another smaller chain store and still nothing.

Thanks though...

Shann~

>>
My 2012 Grow Area<<
Old 08-20-2010, 05:18 PM

Brisbanite is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I took all my newly bought chids and looked at the medium...
REPOT!!!

So.... I grab one orchid, clean it, repot. Noooo biggy. Next one,,, piece of cake . Then I grab The Burr. Dee Luce. OMG.....Everything known to man and then some was in that thing....

I'm talking snails with no shells, beetles, ants and yours truly, La Coo ka ra cha cockroach

I bout passed out.

Luckily I had made a batch of Brookn's dishsoap recipe in a big arse bowl and soaked them in it first. NO JOKE, It kills critters on contact. Even slugs and snails. I think it has to do with the extract. Don't know. All I know IT WORKS, I LIKE IT AND I'M STICKING TO IT....

Brookn, your mad science pays.....
Hi, what is dishsoap? Is it liquid detergent. I only have cinnamon powder. Do I need the extract?
Old 08-21-2010, 04:00 PM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannara View Post
I can never find cinnamon oil so I buy a premix off of repotme.com called "Get Off Me" that is made from cinnamon and soap and I add rubbing alcohol to it. Seems to work pretty good, plus if I get the spray all over me I am not worried about it and just end up smelling like cinnamon. Kinda nice!! lol

Shann~
yeah, i kind of changed my mind, can you give me the link to that stuff? thanks!
Old 08-21-2010, 04:04 PM

does it work just as well without rubbing alcohol?
Old 08-24-2010, 08:52 PM

jeanne is on a distinguished road
Is the cinnamon extract liquid or powder in a capsule that has been made after extracting from cinnamon bark?
Old 08-25-2010, 12:01 AM
Senior Member Photobucket

Thanked 1,255 Times in 945 Posts
Fishmom is on a distinguished road
The cinnamon extract is a liquid, commonly found in the spice section of a store. I believe it has an alcohol base. Many geeks have found it at Walmart, oddly.
Old 10-28-2010, 12:22 PM

SashaBear is on a distinguished road
I skimmed through this thread so forgive me if this question has already been answered.

Will this recipe work for mealy bugs? I have an infestation and I've been fighting them with insect spray and insecticidal soap but they still keep coming. I've only managed to slow them down but not eliminate them even though I'm spraying every 2 days. Will this spray help?
Old 10-28-2010, 11:17 PM

Macy is on a distinguished road
Mrs. Greens and Whole Foods sell it. I've used it for years as a spray. I mix in a small sprayer:

4 drops of Cinnamon Oil Extract
approx 1/2 cup rubbing alcohol
Couple squirts of Dawn dish soap
approx tbs Canola Oil
Fill the rest of the bottle with warm water and shake.

Works on scale and fungal problems too. Cinnamon oil has been used by orchid growers for fungal issues for many years. The spray is great on spider mites. I use it for houseplants that get mites over winter.
Old 10-30-2010, 12:33 PM

Izzie is on a distinguished road
From a chemical standpoint, would this still work if I used antibacterial hand soap? Still phosphate free, and has the same concentration of Triclosan as antibacterial dish soap.

And as far as making your own cinnamon extract- member Ray has two other ways to make it that are detailed on his site: First Rays' Home Remedies

"Spray:

You can prepare a cinnamon spray using either alcohol or water as your solvent. The alcohol infusion is faster to prepare, and offers some insecticidal properties as well. This is my preferred method, and has been effective at eliminating all sorts of fungus problems, including damping-off of deflasked seedlings.

Put 2 tablespoons (30 ml) of cinnamon powder in a pint (500 ml) of isopropyl rubbing alcohol. Shake well and let stand overnight. Filter the solution to remove the sediment (coffee filters work well), and use the brown liquid as a spray. (While it's not a big problem for most orchid growers, I've heard that this is good for powdery mildew, as well.)

or

Put the cinnamon powder in hot water. Shake well and let stand for several days. Filter and use as above. (Some feel that the alcohol can be too desiccating when used on seedlings.)"

I'd rather keep my Vodka for drinking.
However, I wonder if the cinnamon extract bought in stores is the essential oil, that is primarily made up of cinnamaldehyde. If so, I am not sure if the vodka solution or those detailed above would be the same thing.

If at first you don't succeed.....Get a sympathy orchid!

The Following User Says Thank You to Izzie For This Useful Post:
zaeem (12-02-2010)
Old 11-02-2010, 08:33 AM
Member Photobucket

orchidlover55 is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the recipe
Old 11-29-2010, 12:37 PM

The recipe in the first post works like a charm! Holy cow! Mealy bugs are gone. It took several treatments but it worked.
And someone asked if antibacterial soap would work and the answer to that is yes because I used Palmolive antibacterial dish soap in my spray.
I live in a very old house and it tends to be buggy. I have actually started using this spray around the windows and other areas of the house where I have some bug issues and it seems to be working. Great stuff!!
zaeem (12-02-2010)
Old 12-29-2010, 09:42 PM

rhogue is on a distinguished road
Very Cool post. Now I have to go hunting Cinamon Extract. Picked up some chids today hopefully they are bug free.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:05 AM

rhogue is on a distinguished road
Ok, I found the extract and used it when repotting. I soaked the roots after unpotting and cleaning.

It seemed like some were using the same batch to dunk more than one plant when repotting? I mxed a fresh batch for each plant. Is that necessary?
Old 01-06-2011, 04:43 PM
Member Photobucket

11Orchid126 is on a distinguished road
You can use the mixture as a drench; that is, pouring it over the roots rather than soaking them, and the mixture will go farther. After dipping one orchid in it, dipping another in the same solution would be risky.
Old 02-28-2011, 12:43 PM

I had one phal that I suspected to be the root of my mealy bug problem. It had the worst infestation so I decided to repot it. I removed it from the pot, threw away all the potting material and I sat the plant in the sink and used the sprayer to hose it down good with lukewarm water. Then I sprayed it really good with the cinnamon spray, roots and all. I know some of you mention that you put it on the roots too. I put the plant in new potting medium in a new pot and it basically died. There is the newest green leaf left and that's it and I'm not sure if its going to survive. Would the cinnamon spray on the roots have done this? I wouldn't think so since powdered cinnamon is used on roots. Maybe the soap int the mix? The plant didn't look bad at all before I did this. Did I just shock it too much?
I was going to do this to all the plants that had the bugs because I couldn't seem to get rid of them completely. Now I'm not sure that I should. Any thoughts?
zaeem (03-02-2011)
Old 03-02-2011, 06:51 AM
Executive Senior Member

zaeem is on a distinguished road
Sashabear,
Maybe the compounding effect of soap and cinnamon.Please wash off with water and maybe repotting will help.I use cinnamon powder on cuts only.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:24 AM
Administrator
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thanked 5,388 Times in 3,096 Posts
katrina is on a distinguished road
Various things could have gone wrong....from maybe you mixed the solution incorrectly...to using a soap that's way to caustic...to yes, the cinnamon could have dessicated the roots...to the possibility of the solution not being rinsed off well enough...to the plant was already on it's way out and the whole experience ended up being that proverbial straw. Or maybe any one of a dozen other reasons.

Too many variables involved so there's no way to give you a definitive answer as to what went wrong. I do know plenty of people use the mix on roots...I've soaked plants in it myself and never had a problem.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:09 AM
Administrator
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thanked 5,388 Times in 3,096 Posts
katrina is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristalriss View Post
I have a question is Cinnamon extract a powder or liquid form?
It's a liquid...like the vanilla extract from the baking section in most grocery stores. I've only ever seen it at 2 places here in Central OH...Kroger and Walmart.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:05 PM

maria1971 is on a distinguished road
I buy mine online at this store:

Pure Cinnamon Oil 4 oz. - JR Mushrooms & Specialties
The Following User Says Thank You to maria1971 For This Useful Post:
Shannara (03-30-2011)