Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > Orchid Care > Orchid Pests and Diseases

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Filb

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2013, 07:01 AM

phonefax is on a distinguished road
Smile Sticky Flower,mites,black spots

Hi First post from ageing senior citizen of the UK so please be gentle.
My wife loved to see the lovely display of Orchids at our local Garden Centre and decided she would like to give them a try at home.
She realises that Orchids are a very delicate plant and take some looking after but I have to say for the past 6 months she has done really well and gradually gone from one to 10 of various kinds.
We have recently noticed a number of gnats around the Orchids and trawled the internet to find a solution and came up with a product called Gnat Off. The treatment arrived yesterday and she gave the first dose following instructions. Whilst putting the Orchids back in there usual lounge position she noticed some stickness under the flower and a number of tiny balls which look like a tiny ball of cotton wool, the leaves also have a small number of tiny black spots on them. We have no idea what this is or how to treat it other than hoping that the Gnat Off might work.
She is very disheartened and I want to help as much as I can,, bless her she loves the beauty of the Orchid, unfortunately our local Garden appear to be lacking in expertise, and just suggest a bug spray. Thank you for offering this helpful web site
Old 06-23-2013, 07:43 AM

LovePhals is on a distinguished road
We all love the beauty of the orchid, here too! The cottony masses on the flowers sound like mealy bugs (we need pictures to be sure). They like flowers and the leaves! They can be hard to get rid of, very persistent. If you have any orchids that don't have that on them seclude those from the ones that do right away. You can use Bayer's products, neem oil on them. You can also use Isopropyl alcohol on them. If they turn yellow on the Qtip and die they are definitely mealies. Once you think you have killed them you will have to continue examining every day until they are gone. If you have a lot of them you will also need to repot.
Gnats you can get rid of adding some mosquito dunk pellets into the mix, that kills them.
Black spots.... you need to post pictures.
Old 06-23-2013, 08:04 AM

phonefax is on a distinguished road
Thank you so much for the reply,, I have taken photographs but no idea how to post them,,, advise would be very appreciated..

Thanks
Old 06-23-2013, 09:20 PM

Filb is on a distinguished road
LovePhals has given some good advice.
To elaborate, if you have some isopropyl alcohol try soaking the cotton bud or q-tip with it and rubbing it on the white masses. If the infestation is small enough you can simply use that to kill them (if it is indeed mealybugs).

If you need help posting a photo, refer to this thread here: http://www.orchidgeeks.com/forum/new...chidgeeks.html.

Also, welcome to the forum!
LovePhals likes this.