Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > Orchid Care > Orchid Pests and Diseases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2008, 02:36 AM

missann is on a distinguished road
Spider madness!!

I just went in my "plant room" to turn off the lights and I saw a little spider running across the plastic on the floor, so I crushed it with my finger...then..I saw another one, and, thinking it was the same on, crushed it "again" then, I looked at the humidifier and saw 3 runninng across the top of it, so I killed each one of them. SOOO HORRIFIED!!!! There were more, too, and I can't tell where they are coming from.

SO...
Has anyone used a bug bomb on their orchids?? I don't want to remove all of them, because they will no doubt have spiders on them, and I don't even know if bug bombs kill spiders.

ALL I can say is I feel like they are all over me right now, and I hate spiders more than anything.
Old 09-27-2008, 02:47 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thanked 1,245 Times in 759 Posts
solay is on a distinguished road
Is it spider season too? I've never used bug bombs on orchids but regular house plants aren't bothered by it. Hope you find some ways of getting rid of them. Usually a good vacuuming of the room will help.
Old 09-27-2008, 03:17 AM

missann is on a distinguished road
So....I went in the room again and figured that the spiders were coming from the humidifier, and sure thing, I take it outside, flip it over, and there is little mommy spider in this little crack giving birth or hatching the babies. SOOOO I KILLED HER AND HER BABIES MUAHAAHAAHAAA! Serves her right for invading my territory. I am grossed out by all this, and I doubt that I will sleep very much tonight, but I had the best luck finding this when I did. If I had turned the lights off an hour ago, when I was suppossed to, I would have never made this horrifing discovery. I don't hate all spiders, mind you. I don't mind spiders that make a web and mind thier own business, but we have HOBO spiders here, and they are fast, huge, and they like to move into your house during the fall when they are looking for a warm place to MATE. GROSS! Plus, if you ever have the misfortune of being bitten by one, you are looking at a HUGE ROTTEN MASS where you were bitten that lasts for MONTHS and can scar you terribly FOREVER. I hate hobos so much that for the past 6 months, I have been sleeping on the couch upstairs, because they like to hang out in the basement where my room is. YUCK!
AND
The other night, I was laying on the couch, watching old movies at 4 am, and I see this dark fast moving mass come up the side of the couch right in front of my face, and I am still, because I think it is the cricket I saw earlier, but NO!!! I remember that the cricket is underneath a glass, where I trapped him the day before, so I jump off the couch, turn on the light, and there is this quarter size, dark HOBO spider. Sooo, of course the rest of the house is up now, and I go to grab the fly swatter, but my mom gets him with a piece of wadded up toilet paper first, because she doesn't want spilled spider guts on the couch. I can't believe she does that, because they are so fast. WE ARE TALKING FEET PER SECOND FAST. I have invested in numerous fly swatters to put all over the house, so I am always prepared to kill them when I find them. Sometimes I even hunt them downstairs. I have had horrible luck with bugs getting on me this year, and I will be dammed if I get bitten by a stupid hobo spider.

Alas, I am ever vigilant in my fight against these little beasts.
Old 09-27-2008, 09:21 AM
Executive Senior Member

hera is on a distinguished road
Had one (wolf) crawl on my arm while camping one time. All I can say is I will never sleep in that room in the camper again. Stuff like that can scar you for life.
Old 09-27-2008, 02:22 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

articuno75 is on a distinguished road
Right now I'm so freaked out by spiders. I had to take Mason to Ft. Wayne here last Tuesday and there was a spider on his wheelchair. I kid you not this thing had glowing green eyes. I have never seen a spider with glowing green eyes before.

It was black all over, furry, and it had an orange blotch on it's back. Oh don't forget the fangs from hell. I tried to get the nasty thing off of the chair, and when I did it stood on it's back legs and started jabbing it's fangs rapidly.

Yeah, I about peed my pants. So if you can imagine me, a nurse and a guy trying to get this spider the size of my thumbnail off of this wheelchair in the middle of a parking lot with a pair of scissors, a tissue and a can of Off spray, you'd laughed your butts off.

No Mason was not in the chair, he was safely in his car seat laughing at us.

I'm still creeped out.

All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed: in life that which is unnoticed has the most power.
Old 09-28-2008, 11:05 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Thanked 4,721 Times in 2,020 Posts
lmartiny is on a distinguished road
I'm not a real fan of spiders, particularly the big ones. The brown recluse here in FL will also cause a serious problem with necrotizing of the tissue after a bite. (like missann's Hobo) However, spiders are also our friends because they take care of other pesky insects. I was just reading about bugs and roaches on another thread. Now roaches.... oh yuk, and we've got plenty, and big ones too, here in FL.
Old 09-28-2008, 11:37 PM

mgfree is on a distinguished road
As much as I hate spiders, I would never kill any around my plants. They are fantastic predators that make a meal out of the pests. If they are inside my home though that is another story. Same goes for snakes - in the yard they are OK, but in the house, no way. I once had a taipan in the house and due to the time of the night, couldn't get onto the local snake wrangler to remove it. Had to hit it over the head with a broom stick, otherwise risk getting bitten by one the the most deadly snakes in the world.
Old 09-29-2008, 12:24 AM

_cor is on a distinguished road
Spiders are people too!
Old 09-29-2008, 12:54 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

LoL! Snakes don't bother me, even though I was bitten by a Copperhead when I was a kid. Now spiders....They fascinate me, but at a very far distance.

Bugs in general just creep me out. I'm terrified of them. As for la coo ca ra cha cock roach.... I lived on military bases as a little girl. (Dad in military, Army brat. ) I've seen more than my share. Yes, I seen the big ones. I seen the ones that fly too. YUK!!!!

Okay I won't be able to go to bed now.

All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed: in life that which is unnoticed has the most power.
Old 09-29-2008, 10:37 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Just today I saw some webs on one of my mounted orchids in the G/H. The little guy was hiding under a leaf. I was tempted to kill it but decided to let it be for a while. Figured he must be finding something to eat in there. I also remembered the Geeks saying they are the good guys. Humm...I guess as long as they aren't in the house.

Jenny, here's something gross. The last time I was in Thailand, I ate a locust, a cockroach (the ones that fly), and a fat white wormy thing found in decaying wood. They were all deep fried in hot oil. Yuck!!! Can't say they tasted good but I had to try them for the sake of saying I did. Won't know if they are good unless you give it a go. I should have been the host for Bizarre Foods. LOL!!!
Old 09-29-2008, 10:48 PM

mrspiza is on a distinguished road
Um, spiders are PEST PREDATORS. Every once in a while I find one on one of my orchids and I'm thrilled! I realize, however, that logic seldom wins out over illogical fears.
Old 09-30-2008, 12:16 AM
V.I.P Member

kid a is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by articuno75 View Post
Right now I'm so freaked out by spiders. I had to take Mason to Ft. Wayne here last Tuesday and there was a spider on his wheelchair. I kid you not this thing had glowing green eyes. I have never seen a spider with glowing green eyes before.

It was black all over, furry, and it had an orange blotch on it's back. Oh don't forget the fangs from hell. I tried to get the nasty thing off of the chair, and when I did it stood on it's back legs and started jabbing it's fangs rapidly.

Yeah, I about peed my pants. So if you can imagine me, a nurse and a guy trying to get this spider the size of my thumbnail off of this wheelchair in the middle of a parking lot with a pair of scissors, a tissue and a can of Off spray, you'd laughed your butts off.

No Mason was not in the chair, he was safely in his car seat laughing at us.

I'm still creeped out.
lol, Jenny that sounds just our little jumping spiders here! They look crazy and dangerous but they are really harmless. It still hands out heeby jeebies though. I really like spiders cause they eat a the other nastier bugs.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/Ki...ws?ref=profile
Old 09-30-2008, 12:27 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Solay you are a better man than I. (I'm a girl) I would not, could not eat such things.
Old 09-30-2008, 12:35 AM
V.I.P Member

kid a is on a distinguished road
Lol, Solay is a girl too! Her name is Cindy. I think that is pretty brave too, I ate a live kingworm (large mealworm)a few years ago it wasn't good but not to bad either. I don't know if I could eat a cockroach though. We used to breed madagascar hissing cochroaches were they like that type?

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/Ki...ws?ref=profile
Old 09-30-2008, 01:02 AM
Super Moderator Photobucket

brookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of light
Jenny-too funny!
Bugs are protein too ladies! I guess if it came down to it, I would eat a fried one. A live squirming one though, I'd have to settle for grass or something if nothing else was available lol.
Old 09-30-2008, 01:40 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

LOL!!! Last I checked I was a girl!!! Thank god! Well, I did it just cause I wanted to say I tried it. Not too bad. Just crunchy and salty due to a sauce they put on it. I do tend to have an adventurous stomach. I'll try anything once. I won't eat anything alive though.
Old 09-30-2008, 01:42 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Ooops. I take that back. I have eaten live shrimp that was still jumping. Very good. yummy!!! Sashimi shrimp!

Kortney, not sure what kind. They all look the same to me. The one I ate was large one. The kind you see in tropical islands.
Old 09-30-2008, 08:37 AM
Administrator
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thanked 5,389 Times in 3,096 Posts
katrina is on a distinguished road
I'll eat sushi but not bugs. I'd rather chew on bark. Andrew Zimmer...if I watch his show...the whole time I have the pillow up near my face and all you hear is..."Oh No, OMG, or AAAAAHHHHH!". Squeamish here. I'd be goner if my surviving depended on my eating creepy crawlies.

missann...I'm with you in getting rid of the spiders. If they were outside, it's be another story but NOT IN MY HOUSE! YIKES! I read in another thread cinnamon can repel them...I've sprinkled it all around all our doors/windows and so far there's been no invading wolf spiders. Typically by now, I would've killed at least 3 or 4. Sprayed that cinnamon/soap spray first all around the doors/windows then followed it up w/ground cinnamon powder for good measure. So far, so good.

Last edited by katrina; 09-30-2008 at 08:40 AM.
Old 09-30-2008, 10:49 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

I'm with Katrina and would try to chew on the tree. I too have an adventrous stomach, (it has to be an oriental thing I swear) but not that adventrous to the point of eating a bug. Eww.

Old 09-30-2008, 11:45 AM
Administrator
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Quote:
I'm with Katrina and would try to chew on the tree. I too have an adventrous stomach, (it has to be an oriental thing I swear) but not that adventrous to the point of eating a bug. Eww.
I'll try just about any food...but not bugs. I know it's a culture thing because many countries do eat bugs and I understand them to be a great source of protein...no doubt healthier than some of the typical American protein sources. Still...it's a BUG!

There's a TLC (I think) commercial where Bear Grylls (Man vs. Wild) chomps on this huge, wiggly, squirmy grub of some sort and....SQUIRT!...the bug juices squirt out everywhere. OMG! I'd puke...I nearly do when I see the commercial.

Oh, and, I once saw a show about a tribe of people in the South American rain forest somewhere who eat tarantulas. Cook them over a fire (I believe scorching the hairs off) and them just chomp away...legs and all.
Old 09-30-2008, 11:48 AM
Executive Senior Member

BillC is on a distinguished road
For all the geeks who are arachnophobes.

It is a scientific fact that the total number of spiders on the globe, annually catch and eat insects, to a weight greater than the weight of the human population on the globe.

If all the spiders suddenly became extinct we would possibly have to live in very tall buildings. And you would not be able to go outdoors unless you were in a tracked vehicle. Something to think about before you tread on one.

Bill
Old 09-30-2008, 11:54 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Boy, the topics we can get into here. I've gotten some chuckles with this one!
Old 09-30-2008, 12:06 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillC View Post
For all the geeks who are arachnophobes.

It is a scientific fact that the total number of spiders on the globe, annually catch and eat insects, to a weight greater than the weight of the human population on the globe.

If all the spiders suddenly became extinct we would possibly have to live in very tall buildings. And you would not be able to go outdoors unless you were in a tracked vehicle. Something to think about before you tread on one.

Bill
So right you are Bill! I know they are a necessity...wouldn't want to live w/out them on the earth...just don't want them living in my house.

I appreciate them outside...I leave them and their houses alone outside...even find some of them to be very beautiful. Just don't want them moving in w/me.

Here's something I heard/read and one of the reasons why I don't want them in the house...each person swallows on average 3 spiders a year in their sleep. YIKES! Truth or legend? Not sure.

I also heard something along the lines of...whether you can see them or not...there is something like 6500 spiders w/in a 1 acre radius of where you stand/sit. Can't recall the actual number but it's some phenomenal figure like that.
Old 09-30-2008, 12:24 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

I'm still creeped out. Regardless. LOL

Old 09-30-2008, 04:09 PM
Senior Member Photobucket

Rocinante is on a distinguished road
1) The only worm I've ever eaten was at the bottom of a Mescal Tequila bottle. Even though I was drunk it was still yucky.
2) Being bitten by a Copperhead sounds like a true horror story, Jenny, how'd that happen? I intensely dislike vipers.
3) Common house spiders and "Daddy Long-Legs" are harmless and even beneficial. For every other spider that belongs in the garden and not in a house, they make an aerosol called "Spider Not". Very effective.
Old 09-30-2008, 04:20 PM

brookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of light
Yum Mescal tequila. I guess I have eaten a bug before, I ate the worm. Yucky, but if you have had enough Mescal, who cares LOL. I always call it to-kill-ya, cause the hangover is awful!
Old 09-30-2008, 04:27 PM
Senior Member Photobucket

Rocinante is on a distinguished road
Yeah, the hangover is rough, but getting there is the best! I haven't had any in a while, though...
Old 09-30-2008, 04:43 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

The Copperhead story

We used to have horses down in Phoenix City, Alabama. Had a horse riding stable on a 10 square mile of land as a sideline when my Dad was in the Army at Ft. Benning, GA. Me and my Dad was going through, blazing some new trails near a creek when the horses became unsettled. We figured it was because they had to cross the creek and Cricket (the horse I rode) didn't like to walk the creek. Dad said to get down and walk her across.

No sooner than I got down I step right on the damn snake and he coiled my right leg and bit me. I was like 9 or 10 yrs. old at the time.

Now you have to understand we are in the middle of no where in the middle of the woods. Our home is another mile away from the stable and the closest city is Columbus, GA. My Dad of course ran to me and the horses totally freaked and ran back to the stable. So we're out here alone by this creek, I'm poisoned and no way back.

This is where I don't remember much. All I can remember is that I ended up being buried in the creek in nasty Georgia clay, my Dad took a knife and cut 2 Xs over the bite holes and sucked out the poison and EMTs rode in on horseback to get me.

I spent a week in the hospital.

And no I'm not afraid of snakes.

Old 09-30-2008, 08:02 PM

That's our Jenny, tough as nails!!!

John it's been a long time since I had Mescal also, but dang that's some good stuff till you wake up the next morning .
Old 09-30-2008, 09:05 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Ditto on the tequila. Don't touch the stuff anymore. Learned my lesson. Or should I say lessons, years ago. I'll stick to vodka and rum. Thank you.

Jenny, I've never been bitten and hope I never do. I'm still deathly scared of them.
Old 09-30-2008, 10:02 PM
Executive Senior Member

patlee is on a distinguished road
Wolf spiders are the worst, but why did I have to read this thread right before going to bed

PAT
Old 10-01-2008, 12:19 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Hehehe. A little Tequila, a slice of lemon, a lick of salt. Mmmmm.

Old 10-01-2008, 12:26 AM

dr_frnkblck is on a distinguished road
Scotch on the rocks is my favorite poison,

Too many bad experiences with tequila.

That's a crazy story, Jenny. Thanks for sharing.
Old 10-01-2008, 12:42 AM

Ah, I could use a nice stiff drink right now, just cleaned out the dog room in prep for the plants coming in (temps below 47F tonight), and there were spiders everywhere. And then I drag the plants in (my tropical, and reg houseplants), and more spiders. Shudder, I still feel things crawling on me. Oh, and these weird camel cricket things that I hate, there was one almost as big as my hand. When it gets cold, they get in the house, and they will hop at you when you walk into a room. Ewww. Makes me want to nuke the house every year. But, I love my shop vac! I just fired it up, and bugs be gone!
Old 10-01-2008, 12:56 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Now see, I've had it all. Been thrown from a horse (while pregnant, ) Had my ear ripped off, my side split open, my shoulder dislocated. Three surgeries and countless hospitalizations...LOL

But you put a bug in front of me, I'll scale the first human being in my line of sight. LoL.

Even Superman had a weakness.

Old 10-01-2008, 01:32 AM

Oh man, I tracked that thing. It was like surgery, I was tippytoeing and my skin was crawling. As soon as I saw something out went the hand "Shopvac" I said. The kids thought it was hilarious. I have taught myself to be more tolerant of them, but they invade my spaces, gotta go. I hated killing the spiders, but there were tons of them hiding all around my window and plant table. I'm not going near the plants with all of them everywhere, so they had to go. Bugs, urk.
Old 10-01-2008, 02:03 PM
Executive Senior Member Photobucket

tizzycat is on a distinguished road
hmmmm, spiders, or snakes; give me spiders anytime.

Oh and as far as eating the bugs is concerned, Solay I take my hat off to you I would have to starving to death before I even thought about it.
Old 10-01-2008, 02:12 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

I'd place my bets on Cindy if she were to ever do Fear Factor

Old 10-01-2008, 02:17 PM
Executive Senior Member Photobucket

tizzycat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I'd place my bets on Cindy if she were to ever do Fear Factor
you bet ya
Old 10-01-2008, 09:08 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Thanks for the votes of confidence guys but as soon as they mention snakes, I'm done for.
Old 10-08-2008, 08:30 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

PhalPal is a jewel in the roughPhalPal is a jewel in the roughPhalPal is a jewel in the roughPhalPal is a jewel in the rough
I wanted to try out for Fear Factor for the stunts, but as a vegetarian I could never eat the YUCK they ate!!!! Ewww barf!