Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > Orchid Care > Orchid Pests and Diseases

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 07-16-2013, 02:38 AM
vegan's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: indonesia, asia
Posts: 245
Images: 43
Thanks: 147
Thanked 109 Times in 83 Posts
vegan is on a distinguished road
Should I worry about this phal?

Hi,

I bought this phal about 2 months ago.
Should I worry about this?
Some of them starting yellow like this.
Attached Thumbnails
20130712_133625.jpg   20130712_133638.jpg  
__________________
Hi geeks. I am Ivan.
How are you today?

Visit my collection at
http://www.flickr.com/photos/93190481@N04/
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 07-16-2013, 03:20 AM
xKTx's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 179
Thanks: 102
Thanked 59 Times in 46 Posts
xKTx is on a distinguished road
If you're referring to the pale leaf spots, it might be the beginnings of a sun burn, what kind of light do you have it in?
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 07-16-2013, 05:45 AM
vegan's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: indonesia, asia
Posts: 245
Images: 43
Thanks: 147
Thanked 109 Times in 83 Posts
vegan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by xKTx View Post
If you're referring to the pale leaf spots, it might be the beginnings of a sun burn, what kind of light do you have it in?
Hi,
Yes, I worried about the pale leaf spots.
I even add some artificial light for them because I think they don't received enough sunlight.
They surround by wall.
Here is the pic
Attached Thumbnails
20130716_163650.jpg  
__________________
Hi geeks. I am Ivan.
How are you today?

Visit my collection at
http://www.flickr.com/photos/93190481@N04/
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 07-17-2013, 02:01 AM
vegan's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: indonesia, asia
Posts: 245
Images: 43
Thanks: 147
Thanked 109 Times in 83 Posts
vegan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ananthapriya View Post
I thing Why that orchid is yellow one color because these are the some of the reasons for look like yellow color. Nitrogen deficiency
Sunburn (it is possible, but unlikely since all the other phals in the same area would have been burned as well.
Cold damage (again it is possible but unlikely or else all the other phals would have shown the same symptoms.
Relocation stress...

I thought these are the facts to look like turn yellow color.


Hi Anantha,

I thinks the most possible reason is the stress after relocation.
Cold damage is not possible, I am in Indonesia, and I am in Surabaya, near to the beach.
Never below 24 celcius here.
Should I cut the yellow part? Or just let it?
__________________
Hi geeks. I am Ivan.
How are you today?

Visit my collection at
http://www.flickr.com/photos/93190481@N04/
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 07-17-2013, 05:34 PM
Ron's Avatar
Ron Ron is offline
V.I.P Member Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: South Coast of NSW Australia
Posts: 4,621
Thanks: 3,817
Thanked 3,967 Times in 1,720 Posts
Ron is on a distinguished road
Hi Ivan, from looking at your shelves it looks like to me they are on the bottom shelf, this would be the coldest position on your shelf, I would top shelf it, I doubt if it would be too bright light up there.
Possible causes! maybe before you bought it it had been chilled a little bit, I would not worry to much about it unless it becomes very soft and starts to rot.
Sometimes cold water or condensation above dripping on the leaves at night can cause the same problem, has happened to me over time. Dripping from the roof on a cold night, but in your case from a shelf above.
Best of luck
__________________

My friend Missy
Good growing, Ron
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 07-17-2013, 07:47 PM
trev's Avatar
Executive Senior Member
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: San Joaquin County - CA
Posts: 1,435
Images: 11
Thanks: 42
Thanked 484 Times in 357 Posts
trev is on a distinguished road
It looks like some type of fungal infection.

You said you are near the beach, so the area is high in humidity..and your photo shows the leaves are wet..I think that will contribute to that infection on the leaves. I would think you should try and avoid watering the leaves, just water the root zone. Also, your media looks like sphagnum moss..your area is already humid, I would change that to mixed bark or bark with charcoal.

I remember there is a posting here from someone in Vietnam, he has suggested that in their area being humid, they make sure the Phal leaves are protected from being wet. And they grow really good Phals..very inspiring! I forgot his name..but you can find his interesting thread & photos here in the forums.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 07-18-2013, 09:41 AM
vegan's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: indonesia, asia
Posts: 245
Images: 43
Thanks: 147
Thanked 109 Times in 83 Posts
vegan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
Hi Ivan, from looking at your shelves it looks like to me they are on the bottom shelf, this would be the coldest position on your shelf, I would top shelf it, I doubt if it would be too bright light up there.
Possible causes! maybe before you bought it it had been chilled a little bit, I would not worry to much about it unless it becomes very soft and starts to rot.
Sometimes cold water or condensation above dripping on the leaves at night can cause the same problem, has happened to me over time. Dripping from the roof on a cold night, but in your case from a shelf above.
Best of luck
Here come the phal expert.
Thanks for looking my threads.
I think cold is not problem for me.
The temperature is always above 24 celcius.
Sometime it reach 35 celcius, such a hot city here .
At the first time I bought it, it has only 1 yellow spot.
Okay however I will keep it not to cold as you advised sir.
I will update if it is going good or going bad.
Thank you.


Quote:
Originally Posted by trev View Post
It looks like some type of fungal infection.

You said you are near the beach, so the area is high in humidity..and your photo shows the leaves are wet..I think that will contribute to that infection on the leaves. I would think you should try and avoid watering the leaves, just water the root zone. Also, your media looks like sphagnum moss..your area is already humid, I would change that to mixed bark or bark with charcoal.

I remember there is a posting here from someone in Vietnam, he has suggested that in their area being humid, they make sure the Phal leaves are protected from being wet. And they grow really good Phals..very inspiring! I forgot his name..but you can find his interesting thread & photos here in the forums.
Yes, I live at altitude 5 meter above sea level.
Beside in my area is hot, I have fan that blow for hours everyday.
About 5 hours everyday or more.
Humidity is low here. Hot but not humid.
It is bad for phal actually. Many people suggest cattleya or dendrobium for my area.
But always stunned at phal.
Oh, the Vietnam guy? He is Mr. Thuan. His username is culanluasg.
Thanks for the advise.
I will update when it get better or worse.
__________________
Hi geeks. I am Ivan.
How are you today?

Visit my collection at
http://www.flickr.com/photos/93190481@N04/
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 08-28-2013, 02:58 PM
TigerIsland84's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Piedmont/ & Outer Banks, NC
Posts: 53
Thanks: 85
Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts
TigerIsland84 is on a distinguished road
Ivan, how is your Phal doing? Did you figure out what was causing this damage? I hope you have, and for curiosity's sake, would like to find out what it is.... because, with symptoms of this sort, it seems like Phals can be somewhat difficult to diagnose properly.

It seems (@ least to me) in reading thru threads on the various orchid forums around the web, that many ppl have somewhat similar queries, and symptoms to yours. And, it also seems that with Phals, and yellow splotchy leaf symptoms - fungal, bacterial, nutrient deficiencies, & sometimes even virus, or pest damages can look so very similar to each other, that it can make it very difficult to figure out what is the actual cause of the symptoms.... So, I think it would help future readers (newbies) to have a conclusion to this thread, since so many have Phals as their first orchids!
Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Should I worry SK7 Orchid Pests and Diseases 3 06-11-2012 10:34 PM
Should I worry?? ysanabria Orchid Pests and Diseases 4 09-04-2010 11:54 AM
Something to worry about? Marks on my Phal's leaves. Sandrilene Orchid Pests and Diseases 9 03-12-2010 08:57 AM
Worm tea worry WIB Orchid Care Cultivation 9 11-26-2007 02:07 PM
Something to worry about? greg_s Orchid Pests and Diseases 3 08-10-2006 06:01 PM






Free Vote Caster from Bravenet.com Free Vote Caster from Bravenet.com


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0
Orchid Forum

vBskin developed by: CreationLab