LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2009, 12:49 AM
Executive Senior Member
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thanked 1,002 Times in 558 Posts
tansyflower is on a distinguished road
Should I throw them out???

I have two orchids that have problems.

The vanda (NoID) has a viral problem (gives it spotty/ streaky leaves).

My Sharry Baby has Black Spot.

On both plants I cut all the affected leaves off, and quarantined them (stuck them way, away from the other orchids (we have about 1 acre of gardens). I also mancozebbed them (probbaly not much good fro the virus)

However, I was talking to the owner of an orchid nursery a couple of days ago, and he said to throw them out, as they weren't worth saving, and could lead to some major problems by infecting everything else. He didn't seem like a fanatic or anything so I'm inclined to believe him. They weren't very expensive (about $15 each), and I haven't had them very long.

How have other forum members dealt with these problems?
Old 03-30-2009, 01:14 AM
V.I.P Member

Thanked 5,451 Times in 3,014 Posts
kmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond repute
Orchid viruses can not be treated. It's usually (always?) best to destroy the plant so other plants dont' become infected. But, other things can cause spotted streaky leaves. So make sure it really is a virus before tossing a plant.

By "black sopt" if you're referring to the fungal spotting that off comes form high humidity with cool temps, a fungicide can combat the advance but the best approach is to prevent the fungal attack with good culture, excellent air circulation, and not lettign them get too cool if wet or humid. While unsightly, this is not a serious condition and is not uncommon (though not normal either) on orchids like Oncidiums, Zygos, and other thinner-leaved orchids.
The Following User Says Thank You to kmarch For This Useful Post:
tansyflower (03-30-2009)
Old 03-30-2009, 01:51 AM

Kevin Western is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tansyflower View Post
I have two orchids that have problems.

The vanda (NoID) has a viral problem (gives it spotty/ streaky leaves).

My Sharry Baby has Black Spot.

On both plants I cut all the affected leaves off, and quarantined them (stuck them way, away from the other orchids (we have about 1 acre of gardens). I also mancozebbed them (probbaly not much good fro the virus)

However, I was talking to the owner of an orchid nursery a couple of days ago, and he said to throw them out, as they weren't worth saving, and could lead to some major problems by infecting everything else. He didn't seem like a fanatic or anything so I'm inclined to believe him. They weren't very expensive (about $15 each), and I haven't had them very long.

How have other forum members dealt with these problems?
If the vanda is infected with a virus, then there is absolutely not practical way to get rid of it so I strongly recommend that it be effectively disposed of before you transfer the virus to other orchids. The virus will be everywhere inside the plant not just where it shows on the leaves.
The Sharry baby may just have a bit of fungal disease but if the guy reconed it was virussed thwen I would get rid of it also. It is probably a wise move to check plants and some sellers to see that plants on sale don't have virus before you purchase them. Electronic purachese are difficult to check but if you are sent any virussed plants by any vendor in this way, then i would not ever make more purchases from them in future.
Regards, Kevin
Old 03-30-2009, 03:30 AM
V.I.P Member

Thanked 1,030 Times in 630 Posts
digitalgate is on a distinguished road
Dont think sherry baby is having virus problem.You might want to continue to spray fungicides and wait for the new growth. If the new growth show no sign of black spot then it is should be ok to keep the plant. But the Vanda i bit reserve. Why dont you post a picture of the plant. Then again virus detecting is a expensive so buy new plant is better.
Old 03-30-2009, 04:28 AM
Executive Senior Member

The Sharry Baby has a fungal problem, which when described to the orchid nursery guy, said it was black spot. I can't show a pic, as I cut all the leaves off the plant and threw them away (except for new emerging leaves on latest psuedo bulb.

He said there had been a cpl of local growers that had been selling stuff cheap (altho not that cheap!!) thru the markets (where I bought it).

I'm not sure if maybe it is particularly virulent strain , but apparently it had caused a lot of problems and was pretty much impossible to get rid of effectively.

I don't have too much trouble with fungus, usually, as we live on the side of a mountain where there is very good air flow. Most of the orchids also get at least a bit of sunlight every day.
Old 03-30-2009, 05:00 AM
V.I.P Member

kmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by tansyflower View Post
...I cut all the leaves off the plant and threw them away (except for new emerging leaves on latest psuedo bulb.
Oops....that probably wasn't necessary. The leaves, even if spotted can provide for the plant.
Old 03-30-2009, 05:19 AM
V.I.P Member

ditto, For oncidium the spot seem to stuck with plant. In fact a local famous retailer of orchid mentioned that, the more black spot a sherry baby has, the stronger is the fragrance. I can't verify that so therefore cannot endorse it.
Old 03-30-2009, 09:33 AM
Executive Senior Member

I just had a poke around on the net and I think my Vanda has Phyllosticta Leaf Spot. The prognosis isn't great so I think I'll chuck that one.
Old 03-30-2009, 09:44 AM
V.I.P Member

You should keep that one, it is not virus problem. At least you can use fungicides to control them?
Old 03-30-2009, 11:13 AM
Member Photobucket

Plucky Purcell is on a distinguished road
I have two sharry baby's and both of them are spotty. This site on Diagnosing Orchid Problems says the black spots are the plant being sulky about it's culture. Mine seem to be growing OK (lots of new psuedobulbs) but I can't get rid of the spotting. As long as it blooms, I won't complain.
katsrevenge (04-24-2009), kmarch (03-30-2009), kninum (04-28-2009), tansyflower (03-30-2009)
Old 03-30-2009, 11:29 AM

Jirel is on a distinguished road
Just a note - for roses with blackspot an organic solution is to spray with a solution of milk and water (I think about 10% milk). The idea is it sours the surface of the leaves and the blackspot doesn't like it. I never tried it because down here with our humidity blackspot is fierce and I did a biweekly treatment of stuff that was fiendishly expensive.
Old 03-30-2009, 06:35 PM
V.I.P Member

Plucky, I'd not seen that website before. I gave it a look and it appears to be quite good! Thanks for posting it!
Old 03-30-2009, 07:04 PM

vcuchick is on a distinguished road
OOOOoooo! Can I live on the side of a mountain too????
Old 03-30-2009, 10:44 PM
Executive Senior Member

Well, looks like the Vanda is probably going. I am going to post a pic of it (sorta like a last Hurrah for it). The flowers will be finished soon so will wait till then...

The Sharry baby will probably be ok..maybe.... I have it quarantined (under a bush at the other end of the garden), and will see how the emerging leaves are in a couple of months.

Plucky-thanks for that site, was quite good, especially the bit about oncidium spots .
Attached Thumbnails
redvanda1.jpg  
Old 03-30-2009, 11:33 PM
Member Photobucket

CharliesAngel51 is on a distinguished road
What a shame to lose such a pretty orchid. I really like the color.

Love is meant to be given away.
Old 03-31-2009, 12:43 AM

Myxamatosis is on a distinguished road
If you wanted to have a bit of fun with it, you could grab a micro-propagation petri dish and grow it back that way. It is a little involved but essentially you would take a very small amount of tissue and via hormones in the agar "convince" the small piece to grow into a new plant. not practical but kinda fun. I have a few plants that were grown in that manner in a class.

Sam
Old 03-31-2009, 02:10 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Thanked 1,245 Times in 759 Posts
solay is on a distinguished road
Too bad about the Vanda. So pretty too.

I agree. That's a great site. So much info. and advice.
Old 03-31-2009, 03:17 AM
Executive Senior Member

I actually posted a new thread (Vanda with streaky spots, I think), as I found a photo (from before I cut the vandas leaves off).

I am hoping someone can identify what the problem is, tell me it's easily treatable and I wont have to throw it out (self-delusion is wonderful sometimes....)

Otherwise I may have to resort to cloning it (or pay the $15 to buy a new one)
Old 03-31-2009, 12:39 PM
Member Photobucket

Plucky Purcell is on a distinguished road
I can't really take the credit for that site. I got it from a post by JLu (Is this a virus?) and am all to eager to pass it along whenever applicable. The information does seem fairly solid.
Old 04-28-2009, 10:28 AM

plucker is on a distinguished road
I have the Sharry Baby 'Seet Fragrance' and have always had the black spots on the leaves.

I heard somewhere the more sun it gets, the more black spots appear and the better it flowers.

I tested this by placing it in a darker environment and the leaves were less spotty compared to last year and the flower spikes and numbers were down somewhat. Although it might be my TLC too.

I have come to the belief that it is a common trait with this otherwise fine orchid. I dont believe it is fungus/virus just normal for the chid, as my other Onc. dont have any problems and they all live together.
Old 04-28-2009, 10:36 AM

dr_frnkblck is on a distinguished road
Make sure if you do think it's a virus to sterilize the tools using heat or alcohol that you used to cut of the leaves before pruning any other orchids. That's an easy way to spread the virus to your other orchids.
Old 05-16-2009, 10:51 AM

I have conducted virus testing on Sharry Baby 'Sweet Sugar' and the results were a big strong negative for both Odontoglossum ringspot virus (ORSV) and Cymbidium mosaic virus (CyMV)
As you can see by the photos that it doesn't look good but there is really nothing wrong with the plant. As I suspected it is just how Sharry Baby is.
I have sprayed with fungacide a bit and now have just accepted this plant with this trait.
No other orchids in the greenhouse seem to suffer like this.
Further more it still flowers every year and flowers well with heaps of perfume.

Old 05-16-2009, 11:15 AM
V.I.P Member

Thanked 1,583 Times in 929 Posts
mehitabel is on a distinguished road
Plucker, the black spots on your Sharry Baby are what happens to oncids grown in high light. They are no problem, and the long bloom period and beautiful scent make it worth while.

I noticed that your newest pseudobulb is slighltly shriveled. I can tell it's the newest, because of the many new roots growing off it. The shriveling is from *not enough water*. Sharry should have beautiful smooth pbs when well hydrated.

Conclusion: your Sharry needs more water--could probably use a slightly larger pot. Don't bury the bulbs deeper than they are presently, but a little sphag tucked around that new pb will help keep the plant a little better hydrated.

The bulbs sometimes plump up again when more water is given.
Old 05-16-2009, 11:32 AM

Must admit that I only have a few Onc. and neglect is something they will get lots of as I mainly grow Cats and Dens for that reason.

I hide them down the back of the greenhouse and dont care too much for them. Thus the reason why it is ready for a new pot.

Having said that we have recorded over 1 meter of rain every month for the first 3 months of the year (our summer) and I have tried to let most of my plants dry out for the winter. The rain was virtually an inch a day for 3 months, give or take.

I will take on board what you say mehitabel as I know Jack #@^& about Onc's. Also I have no spag around this one now but do use it for everything so it is likely to get a good dose of it in the next repot if it behaves itself.
Old 05-16-2009, 07:02 PM
V.I.P Member

I feel the plant is quite healthy and it is actively growing right now. the spot is a common characteristic of Onc Sharry Baby. The more spot you have, the more fragrance you get.
Old 05-17-2009, 08:33 PM

willowbanks is on a distinguished road
Tansyflower, you say

"The vanda (NoID) has a viral problem (gives it spotty/ streaky leaves)."

From what you have written in the full post at the start I gather that no one has actually seen the Vanda in question, all info has just been word of mouth sight unseen and your own diagnosis.

Spotty/streaky leaves does not automatically mean virus, how about spending $10.00 on a virus home test kit from Easy Orchids, NSW. It is simple to use, then you will know for sure and be able to take the correct action.

Your Sharry Baby, there is nothing wrong with it. The spots are inherent in the plant, from memory it was tested by UNIWAI Plant Pathology Department in the late 80's early 90's and found to be clear of any virus or fungal problem that causes the leaf spotting.

Please stop cutting the leaves off it and let it grow, you will love this plant when it flowers even with the spotty leaves.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Digitalgate, you are right, Puckers plant is very well grown but you have been told what we call down here in Australia a FURPHY (tall tale/groundless rumour) about the spots and more fragrance. That orchid trader is clever!!!!!

Bill
The Following User Says Thank You to willowbanks For This Useful Post:
tansyflower (05-18-2009)
Old 05-18-2009, 05:14 AM
V.I.P Member

Thanked 1,239 Times in 532 Posts
jerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond repute
Leaf spotting is Phyllostictina pyrifmis fungus. It is very common on Sharry Baby which seems to be more genetically inclined to spot.

Your plant is perfectly healthy as the fungus has only minor effect on the health of the plant.

Several new hybrids of Sharry Baby were introduced this year that seem to be less susceptible to spotting.

Your Vanda should not be considered to have a virus solely from your description. Guignardia fungus will cause black streaks on Vanda leaves. It can be controlled with thiophanatemetyl based fungicides, but regular applications are necessary to control it and it will not eliminate the spots once formed.

In general I would think it is less likely to spread viruses to Vanda since they are not cut and pruned like Cattleya or other orchids. This being the major source of virus infection.
tansyflower (05-18-2009)
Old 05-18-2009, 06:55 AM
Executive Senior Member

Just an update, seeing as this is an oldish thread.

My sharry baby I quarantined (stuck out by the front gate), because I couldn't stand to throw it. Probably 6 weeks ago I saw one in flower at an orchid show (with the same spots) and asked the owner. He said it had been checked by a professor of orchidology (ok, I made that up) and that the spotting was perfectly normal.

The vanda is also quarantined (around the back of the house) and is still spotty/streaky, even on the new leaves. I just couldn't stand to throw it out, as it was such a lovely colour. However, I didn't realise that you could buy orchid virus testing kits- what a great idea!! Thank you Willowbanks! I am going to contact them, as I really didn't want to chuck it.
Old 05-18-2009, 08:02 AM

Has your Sharry Baby flowered yet, or shown signs like a spike Tansyflower?

Mine has finished again for another year only a month or so ago. It opened its first flowers in the first week of March and the last one had withered 6 weeks later. Most of this time it perfumed the greenhouse out.
Old 05-18-2009, 07:56 PM
Executive Senior Member

I bought mine in flower (some still had to open) but it didn't last long. Couple of weeks maybe. That was probably early March, late Feb. When I quarantined it something happened and one psuedobulb went mushy (the second one back) and the one back froom that has started as well so I'm not sure if it is going to make it.