Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > Orchid Care > Orchid Pests and Diseases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2013, 05:09 PM
Executive Senior Member
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Vian is on a distinguished road
recovering catt intermedia with scale

My catt intermedia "wenzels spots" that I got from ebay has scale. When I got it, it was pretty healthy and had just bloomed, but it came potted in some horrible dusty dirty rock stuff. I pulled it out and repotted it, but it lost all it's roots, so it went bare root into intensive care (a bin with wet paper towels in the bottom covered in plastic) in a sunny spot. I thought I noticed some scale in the crevasses between the leaves and tried to pick it off as best I could and sprayed it with a mixture of dr. bronners peppermint soap, rubing alcohol, and water a few times. It's now got 3 new growths and some nice roots, but I'm finding scale now on the new growths.

The scale is not out of control, I'm only finding a few of them every month or so, but I'd like to get rid of them to give the plant the best chance at recovery. What's a good systemic treatment I can throw on it? Should I pull it out of the pot and replace the medium? I'm wary of doing so as the last time I did it lost ALL its roots. I finally got it on the road to recovery by wrapping sphag around the rhyzome and putting it in a bonzai pot with medium orchid bark, more sphag, and charcoal.

Any ideas?
Old 11-02-2013, 09:29 PM
V.I.P Member

Thanked 1,111 Times in 1,016 Posts
Leafmite is on a distinguished road
I remove scale with isopropyl alcohol and cotton balls for my orchids. If you do start to see more of a problem, rose systemic is pretty effective. I wouldn't apply it inside the home as it is quite toxic, though. Neem oil/horticultural oil is said to work well at suffocating scale.
I wouldn't disturb those new roots, either. Good luck!
Old 11-03-2013, 08:02 AM
Administrator
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thanked 5,389 Times in 3,096 Posts
katrina is on a distinguished road
IME, when scale appears...it's best to just go for the systemic and be done w/it. Even a few scales usually turns into more scale and I hate wasting time. Plus, I've learned that when I don't take care of it right away...it just spreads.

I like Bayer Rose and Flower insect killer. It kills on contact and has residual action for up to 30 days. This is the one I like to use...
Dual Action Rose & Flower Insect Killer Sizes & Product Labels | Bayer Advanced

I'll hit the plant once and then about a week later I'll clean up and visible (dead or alive) scale and hit it again. Watch and wait...if I see anything hit again but if not...just wait and hit at 3 weeks. I tend not to wait for 4 weeks because the label says up to 30 days...to me that means it doesn't always last a full 30 days. And...when I spray...I take the plants to the garage if it's warm enough or I do it in my laundry room. My laundry room is well ventilated and can be closed off from the rest of the house...which means I can leave the plant to dry off and no one will be near it. I try to make sure everything is eradicated before Winter sets in so I don't have to do any spraying inside the house...but a couple of times I had to hit one or two plants. Just do so w/great caution.

Anything labeled for houseplants and/or roses will work for orchids.
Old 11-03-2013, 08:38 AM

MattWoelfsen is on a distinguished road
recovering catt intermedia with scale

I start with Neem Oil Spray (mixing a portion of oil and warm water) and spray the plant from top to bottom drenching the entire pot until the solution starts to drip from the bottom of the pot. I would then soak the entire pot in this solution for about an hour. If your plant was living near other plants, I would threat them too. I wait a week, (no watering--let the plant dry out) and start the process again with a fresh solution. I wait another week, and do the same again. Usually the second application eradicates the creatures, but the third time confirms it.

Neem oil is non-toxic and a nice green solution. However, if after doing this, you still have the problem, then I would follow the advice posted previously. Their advice is my plan B.
Old 11-03-2013, 10:29 AM

Carkin is on a distinguished road
I feel the same way as Katrina. In the past I tried more natural approaches and I was very vigilant, but they just kept coming back. Now if I see scale I don't mess around. What she recommended would be my first choice but I have also had success with Safer's End All 2.
All the best with your scale battle!
Old 11-03-2013, 12:16 PM
Executive Senior Member

Vian is on a distinguished road
thanks everyone. I'll stop by lowes and pick up some of the bayer. I feel like systemic is the way to go with scale, as the hard outer shell really prevents the natural topical treatments from getting at the bug. I'll still use my Dr. Bronner's and alcohol spray for things like spider mites and mealy bugs. I can probably put the plant out in the shop after I spray it, especially if my dad works on his car, he'll have the wood stove fired up so it won't be so cold.