Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > Orchid Care > Orchid Pests and Diseases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2015, 03:04 PM
Member Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Ladyofthelakes is on a distinguished road
Really Dumb Mistake!!!

hope someone is there.

I received orchids yesterday, and I watered them this morning with my watering can from outside. THEN I noticed little bugs crawling, teensy little white bugs, looked like tine Sow bugs, only white, and other beasties

I just mixed up a batch of Brook's pest control.

Should I be able to pour the solution over the plants or do I soak each for a few minutes.

Stupid , thoughtless mistake. Help

Life is GOOD

Please support Pet Rescue See our little Ozzy http://www.pekeatzurescue.com/2006adopted.htm Viv & Al
Old 06-25-2015, 03:26 PM
Administrator
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thanked 5,388 Times in 3,096 Posts
katrina is on a distinguished road
Don't beat yourself up over this...it's not a big deal. Really. Chances are those bugs aren't going to hurt the orchids at all.

If the pest stuff you're talking about is the one w/the peppermint in it then I don't know if I would use that on roots. It might dry them up.

I would just watch the plants for a couple of days to make sure but I'm betting that those bugs aren't something that will hang around in the pots. Most likely nothing that will harm the orchids. I get little creepy crawlies (ants, spiders, sow bugs, etc) in my pots from them sitting outside all summer and I just sprinkle a little Sevin powder over the top and water it down into the pots a week or so before I bring them inside...no more creepy crawlies in the pot.
Ladyofthelakes (06-25-2015)
Old 06-25-2015, 03:31 PM
Member Photobucket

Thank you Katrina I really was in a panic. I worked this morning and got home at 1, so I knew my time was limited treating them before dark.

Life is GOOD

Please support Pet Rescue See our little Ozzy http://www.pekeatzurescue.com/2006adopted.htm Viv & Al
Old 06-25-2015, 10:35 PM
V.I.P Member

Thanked 1,111 Times in 1,016 Posts
Leafmite is on a distinguished road
Katrina is right. You don't want to use that on roots. I usually try to drown whatever is in my pots before using chemicals. You can add a little dish soap to a bucket or laundry tub of water and set the entire plant/orchid in it. After an hour or so, the insects should have drowned.
Seven is like a nuclear bomb for insects (except mites).... We used it once on our fruit trees, roses, and grapes when we had a really bad Japanese infestation and they would keep coming and dying. I rarely use it with my house plants or in my garden but I have always found it extremely effective when I do (squash beetles, ants, bush snails....).
Good luck! Let us know if you get rid of them!
The Following User Says Thank You to Leafmite For This Useful Post:
Ladyofthelakes (06-26-2015)
Old 06-26-2015, 05:35 AM
Member Photobucket

Well it's 5:30 a.m. and I have time to drown those little beasties. The dish soap does kill them. Otherwise they float on the surface. When I poked around at them they can "jump" on the surface then I have to strain my eyes to catch sight of them again. They are white and very very tiny.

I have been pretty sick these past two years with Hyperparathyroid disease. All this sleeplessness, fatique, joint pain, and a very taxed nervous system has forced me to address my health since this winter. Now, I will go for a second surgery to get the second or third Parathyroid gland removed. I think I will write a thread on the disease. So many people have been shocked by my telling them about this condition that has really plaqued me for over 9 years. But there is a lot of hope in recovery.

Life is GOOD

Last edited by Ladyofthelakes; 06-26-2015 at 05:40 AM.
Old 06-26-2015, 08:27 AM
Administrator
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thanked 5,388 Times in 3,096 Posts
katrina is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafmite View Post
Seven is like a nuclear bomb for insects (except mites).... We used it once on our fruit trees, roses, and grapes when we had a really bad Japanese infestation and they would keep coming and dying. I rarely use it with my house plants or in my garden but I have always found it extremely effective when I do (squash beetles, ants, bush snails....).
Good luck! Let us know if you get rid of them!
It will kill everything...including bees unfortunately...but it has a very short residual. If you choose to use something like this then just follow the proper precautions, use your head and be smart with it, and it'll be fine.

When I use it, I sprinkle a little bit over the top of the pot then I lightly water it down into the pot. Not enough that water is running everywhere...just drizzle it down in there. I only do this outside and because I am outside I always try to do it early in the morning before any bees are buzzing around. I do this even though I rarely see any bees visiting my orchids. RARELY. I do see an occasional humming bird but as far as insects go...it's usually just ants and spider and sow bugs. ICK!
Old 06-26-2015, 01:35 PM
V.I.P Member

I don't like to use it on houseplants as it actually aids spider mite growth. There are often better and safer ways to get rid of pests, too, and I prefer to use those methods when possible. If I use it on something in bloom, I remove the buds until I am sure it is safe for bees. Bees are far too important to our ecosystem to put at risk (especially for me as I grow so much fruit).
I very rarely use Sevin, much preferring to use other methods. However, when you need that nuclear bomb, nothing beats it.

Sorry about your health issues. Hopefully, with all the advancements in science, something will soon be available to make your life better.
Old 06-26-2015, 04:40 PM
Member Photobucket

Quote:
I don't like to use it on houseplants as it actually aids spider mite growth. There are often better and safer ways to get rid of pests, too, and I prefer to use those methods when possible. If I use it on something in bloom, I remove the buds until I am sure it is safe for bees. Bees are far too important to our ecosystem to put at risk (especially for me as I grow so much fruit).
I very rarely use Sevin, much preferring to use other methods. However, when you need that nuclear bomb, nothing beats it.

Sorry about your health issues. Hopefully, with all the advancements in science, something will soon be available to make your life better.
thank you Leafmite, there is successful surgery down in Tampa, Fl that I will have in the next couple weeks.

Life is GOOD

Old 06-27-2015, 06:53 AM
V.I.P Member

Thanked 6,637 Times in 2,844 Posts
Brooke is on a distinguished road
Quote:

I'm surprised you consider Sevin as a nuclear bomb. Have you ever used flea powder on your dog or cat? Sevin is the insecticide. I always figure if you can use a chemical on a 7 week old kitten, it is fairly safe. Katrina is correct, the residual effect is very short term.

How does Sevin aid spider mite growth?

Brooke
The Following User Says Thank You to Brooke For This Useful Post:
katrina (06-27-2015)
Old 06-28-2015, 01:10 PM
V.I.P Member

I meant this in a good way. It kills even the toughest things to kill. I have used it for the fruit trees when the normal stuff didn't work (Japanese beetles can be difficult to kill).
There is quite a bit of debate over its safety and then there is the Union Carbide incident in India (they do the process more safely now but there is still debate about the manufacturing vs. environment). One of our professors talked at length about it. Still, I do use it, just not for everything, especially as I don't want to create pesticide resistance and mites love it.
Old 06-29-2015, 06:51 AM
V.I.P Member

Are you talking about the explosion at a factory in India that was caused by gas? Sevin didn't have anything to do with that. Sadly accidents happen and Union Carbide paid a lot of money after the accident.

I'm still interested in the spider mite comments - does sevin attract spider mites?

Brooke
Old 06-30-2015, 12:24 AM
V.I.P Member

This link might interest you:

The incident happened a while ago but here is a quick recap. There is a really good article somewhere out there but I am too tired to look for it, now, and, likely, you probably wouldn't want to read the entire thing. It is pretty long. Wiki gives a nice, short synopsis.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bhopal_disaster

Here is a quick article about the mites, too.

Spider Mites Management Guidelines--UC IPM
Old 06-30-2015, 06:54 AM
V.I.P Member

Thanks for the links - I remember the India explosion and of course the chemical engineer I married was very interested.

It was an interesting article on mites and was surprised they kept referring to insecticides for the treatment of spider mites instead of referring to miticides. I am always interested in eliminating a pest as quickly as possible instead of just controlling the pest. If I want to control pests, a blast of water will do the job.

Brooke
Old 06-30-2015, 05:36 PM

SilverShaded is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
Are you talking about the explosion at a factory in India that was caused by gas? Sevin didn't have anything to do with that. Sadly accidents happen and Union Carbide paid a lot of money after the accident.
Brooke
Not enough in my opinion, an appalling lack of management at the plant, and far too much penny pinching!
Old 07-02-2015, 12:43 PM
V.I.P Member

That accident didn't even need to happen. They were using a process that was much more risky than the one recommended.
Old 07-02-2015, 05:34 PM

SilverShaded is on a distinguished road
Yes, but it was also a cheaper process. Compare the payout from Union Carbide and the lives lost with the payout from BP, shrimp are worth more than people.
Old 07-04-2015, 12:37 PM
V.I.P Member

Exactly. They put the manufacturing in India where no one was watching so that they could have cheaper labor without the restrictions. Unfortunately, this continues to happen. That is why most of the USA's manufacturing is done overseas.

Sadly, whether a life is valued is not dependent upon intelligence level of the creature involved but where the creature lives. Humans in a third world country? Unimportant. Shrimp in a first world country? Save at all costs!
All too often, once a tragedy caused by a first world country's corporation has happened in a distant land, we that live in that developed country quickly wash our hands of it and ignore the suffering that continues. We do not change our practices, we do not police our manufacturing and we continue to allow people to suffer and set up the potential for other tragedies.