Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > Orchid Care > Orchid Pests and Diseases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2009, 07:24 PM

mrs.TF is on a distinguished road
Prosthechea radiata - brown/black spots on leaves

Hello,
I have these spots on a Prosthechea radiata (Encyclia radiata)
I just bought it, I saw the spots, but I don't want to give it back, it seems such a nice, fragrant lady..
So I would like to save it, if it's not that bad..
These spots are on a couple of leaves, there are fresh new ones, unaffected.
Is it fungus, is the bacterial brown spot?
What do I do, do I cut the affected areas, how do I get rid of this?
Thanks so much.
mrs.TF
Attached Thumbnails
dscn2184.jpg   dscn2185.jpg  
Old 12-01-2009, 10:31 PM

NancyH is on a distinguished road
brown/black spots on leaves

Hi, I have several Encyclias and some of them have the same spots on a few of the leaves. I have never done anything to them and they bloom, grow and are very happy. I had read somewhere that these particular spots appear on some Onc's too (I have this too) and just let it go. I just wait for the affected leaf to fall off. I have never had a new leaf growth come out with the spots. Maybe a genetic mutation. If the plant is healthy your way ahead of the game. Enjoy the scent of your Encyclias!
Nancy
Old 12-01-2009, 10:42 PM
Member Photobucket

dtje2000 is on a distinguished road
I'm just pretty darned sure that I read somewhere that those spots are like freckles, and that more sun exposure will do that. I've experienced it in some of my Onc.s and it doesn't seem to negatively impact the plant at all.
Old 12-02-2009, 06:21 AM
V.I.P Member
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thanked 1,239 Times in 532 Posts
jerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond repute
It is harmless and mostly genetic.

I know one grower that has Enc cordigeria and sells them for $15 wholesale. He has a strain that always have perfectly clean leaves. He sells those for $300. It is really not a bad price if you want to hybridize cordigeria (it is one of the best Encyclia parents).
janet_a (12-02-2009)
Old 12-04-2009, 12:05 PM

mrs.TF is on a distinguished road
Oh, I gave it back last week , i was afraid it was a virus and it would be contagious to the others..
And now I am sorry..I will find another one
Thanks everybody.
Old 12-04-2009, 07:44 PM
V.I.P Member
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thanked 5,451 Times in 3,014 Posts
kmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrymeola View Post
It is harmless and mostly genetic.
This is not genetic, it's fungal spotting. There are a number of things that can cause this, all environmental: insufficient air circulation, excessive humidity, being too cool or too wet at night, etc. I suggest spraying in the morning with a good fungicide and increasing the air circulation around your plant. I used to grow Pros. radiata when I lived in the states and they can be grown with perfectly clean leaves. It's not virused, these are not virus symptoms, so there's no need be concerned about that.

Also when I lived in the states I grew Encyclia cordigera (check your spelling Jerry - only one "i") with perfectly clean leaves. I bought it for about $25. The nursery I bought it from had about 50 of them all woth perfectly clean leaves. Instead of paying $300 for one, I recommend buying one for about $35 and just growing it well, the result will be the same.