Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > Orchid Care > Orchid Pests and Diseases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2014, 11:09 PM

sofiaee is on a distinguished road
Possible mold turning root tips brow

So, I've gone head over heals for orchids but don't really know much about fungicides... Some of my semi-hydro orchids have developed what I think is a white mold on some of the top pieces of medium. A couple non semi-hydro orchids also have this but not nearly as much. We are also having lots of gnats very recently, I don't know if this is connected. It's possible that this is a mineral buildup since we have well water here and are located above limestone, I'm not sure if filtering the well water does much to the minerals? Because I water them with our filtered water. However the mold is soft and powdery to the touch, and I think a mineral build up is crusty right? And I flush out all the orchids well, especially the semi-hydro every week.

I've switched over to all lava rock for all of my orchids and most of them are taking to it very well. My beallara was doing amazingly in a lava rock semi-hydro set up until this white mold showed up, now the new root tips are turning brown? This is so annoying because the orchid had just gotten used to the lava rock medium and was starting to thrive!

I have a fan pointed directly at the orchids and it seemed to help with the mold at first but now is not seeming to make much of a difference.

What is the easiest way to deal with this? Boil the lava rock? How do I treat the roots? I have no fungicides however I could go buy some. What's the best brand for this sort of issue? I have cinnamon, bleach, and hydrogen peroxide on hand and have seen some people use these as fungicide. Is a bleach solution safe for roots though? And should I treat all my orchids or spot treat them? The way I have my orchids they are placed pretty densely together, should I spread them away from each other more?

Sooo many questions, sorry guys! I hope someone can help me! I dealt with some bug pests and you guys were so great about that
Old 02-07-2014, 11:24 PM

Actually, I take back that bit about the fan not helping, It has made most of the mold go away on most of the plants except for the beallara and a bit on a couple others. Should I just keep having the fan on it or?
Old 02-08-2014, 09:25 AM
Administrator
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thanked 5,389 Times in 3,096 Posts
katrina is on a distinguished road
And chance we can get a pic of it?

Are you sure it's not salt build up? I grow in mostly leca and lava and have found that the roots tips (on some orchids) will die back when they are too dry and/or when they get damaged.
Old 02-08-2014, 04:41 PM

I'll take a picture right now. I mean it could be but then wouldn't the fan not affect it? But no I'm not really sure haha, thanks for the reply
Old 02-09-2014, 08:40 AM
Administrator
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thanked 5,389 Times in 3,096 Posts
katrina is on a distinguished road
Yea, I don't know...could be the fan thing is just a coincidence. Maybe? Not sure but anything is possible so a pic might help.