Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > Orchid Care > Orchid Pests and Diseases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2007, 11:17 AM

Woods is on a distinguished road
Phal Trouble

Hi everyone,

I have noticed some tiny bugs in both my phals (usually on the pot or the skewer for watering not often on the leaves). I have tried to take photos and have posted some in a strand on Newbies but they aren't very clear. I have tried to get better photos but the bugs are just too small.

My mini phal has been flowering for a few months but the stalks have started turning yellow and the flowers are dropping.... is this normal or could it be becuase of the bugs? The other plant is fine... very healthy looking plump silvery roots.

Should I treat them and if yes what with? I read Cynthia's post about mites. Should I use neem oil?

A
Old 06-15-2007, 12:17 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thanked 3,205 Times in 1,285 Posts
mayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of light
Not seeing the bugs it is hard to say for sure. How old is the media? Bark? There are little pale bugs called psocids (also called bark lice or book lice) that like decaying organic matter that often inhabit old bark media as you describe. If these are what you have - no damage expected to your phal. See if they look like the magnified version noted here? http://www.west-ext.com/booklice.html
Old 06-15-2007, 02:39 PM

Thanks Mike,

Had a look and it seems about right. They only seem interested in the bark ...in fact it was the bamboo skewer that made me notice them. They are definately brown in colour. Thanks.

Does the stem turn yellow on a phal when it is finished flowering?

I keep adding information to the database you sent. Thanks again for that. I followed your advice but couldn't change the currency to GBP. I'm still keeping your information on it as a guide - could that be part of the problem?

Best wishes,
Anne
Old 06-15-2007, 02:46 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

mayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of light
yes, very commonly stems turn yellow after flowering - time to prune it off at the base. My info in the data should not effect the currency change. Will check into it some more for you. Maybe we can pm a few times back and forth and get it figured out for you???? mike
Old 06-15-2007, 02:47 PM

Should I change the bark as it is finishing flowering? I'm eager to do this becuase I have so many problems geting it watered evenly (or not as the case may be!). The water tends to stay at the bottom of the pot and the top gets dry really quickly. Soaking has helped but the problem is still there.

Will this get rid of the bugs if they are booklice?
A
Old 06-15-2007, 03:51 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Yes, rinse off the bark really well from the roots and you should not see them in your new media. They tend to prefer the older decaying material. Be sure and presoak your new bark really well before repotting and note you may need to soak (depending upon the quality of the bark you get) your plant for awhile (each watering period) until it starts holding adequate water for you. mike
Old 06-15-2007, 07:36 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

PhalPal is a jewel in the roughPhalPal is a jewel in the roughPhalPal is a jewel in the roughPhalPal is a jewel in the rough
Woods - I re-pot when the flowers are spent and I start to see some new growth activity, either a new leaf or roots. This link is a great way to determine how your plant is doing at the root level, regardless of what you choose to pot in.
http://www.orchidgeeks.com/forum/new...f-orchids.html
Old 06-16-2007, 08:53 AM

Thanks for the advice. Will let you know how I get on.
Anne