Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > Orchid Care > Orchid Pests and Diseases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2013, 07:04 AM

Kareneff is on a distinguished road
Talking Pests

Hi I don't know anything - I have just repotted orchids that have been sitting at the bottom of my garden for 10 years. They actually looked quite healthy and got lots of new plants in new pots.
They have not however flowered for years and I found heaps of slaters amongst them. Are slaters a pest? Now that they have been repotted what should I do to ensure that they flower again. I inherited these plants from a family member I guess I've been quite neglectful
Old 03-16-2013, 11:41 AM
V.I.P Member
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thanked 6,637 Times in 2,844 Posts
Brooke is on a distinguished road
I have no idea where Romsey is and I don't know what a slater is or if it is a pest.

If you give a better description of your location maybe there will be someone who can give you the info you seek. We also need to know what type of orchid you are growing before we can give adequate cultural information.

On the upside, you've successfully grown them for 10 years so you are doing something correct. Now we want you to bloom them.

Brooke
Old 03-16-2013, 11:58 AM
Executive Senior Member

PaulB is on a distinguished road
If you don't know the name of the plant, maybe you can post a couple of pictures so we can help. It's also important for us to know where you are located. Not your address, just what part of the world you're from. Maybe someone here who may live in the same area that can help you with the culture of your plant.
Old 03-16-2013, 07:44 PM

Kareneff is on a distinguished road
Hi thanks for replying- I live in Romsey a suburb of Melbourne located in the Macedon ranges in Victoria, Australia . At the moment we are in autumn and the weather has just started to get a bit cold. Nights here are cold in winter we can get down to about 7 degrees Celsius . We do have frosts. I have all the orchids under the verandah where they get a lot of light. This has happened over the last month. I have read that I should have repotted in October but I have done it now because I felt that they urgently needed repotting as they had not been touched for many years. Most of the orchids are cymbidiums.

I am nearly finished building a shade house I would like to grow orchids in it tho I don't have the funds to grow hothouse orchids.

Thankyou
Old 03-16-2013, 07:49 PM

plucker is on a distinguished road
Slaters as you call them, feed on decaying vegetative matter. So probably feeding on the broken media in you pots.
Generally if an orchid wont flower, it needs more light. Still needs filtered light though, just less filtering.
Old 03-16-2013, 10:41 PM
V.I.P Member

Catt Mandu is on a distinguished road
Slater = wood louse (pill bug, or roly-poly bug).

They are generally not serious pests, but can eat tender plant tissues. Mostly they help decompose leaves and such.

Probably the best control may be good plant hygiene, maybe new medium in the pots? If you have re-potted, that may be a good start.
The Following User Says Thank You to Catt Mandu For This Useful Post:
Filb (03-16-2013)
Old 05-26-2013, 08:24 PM

Julius Tristan is on a distinguished road
Slater is also known as sow bugs, woodlice and pill bugs they are not insect but crustaceans. Slater's are scavenger that feed on rotting vegetation and animal matter. They are usually found in flower pots, rocks, under logs and rotting vegetation. The best way to ensure that your plant will produce flower is that re pot it and bring back it's hygiene to surely you can expect that your plant produce flower again.