Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > Orchid Care > Orchid Pests and Diseases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2010, 06:49 PM

Oceanside is on a distinguished road
Painting wounds and trimmed roots

I've searched for "paint" in the posts and found none. Looking through posts I've seen that people put cinnamon on wounds, but I haven't seen any mention of whether roots, specifically, partially or totally trimmed due to mushy or dried out, should have something painted on the cut end. Cinnamon? Another website lists something called Alitte to paint on wounds, but again no mention of trimmed roots. If a product is necessary, I'd prefer something for general use (read "cheap") over an expensive bottle I'll use once a year. Thanks, folks.
zaeem (11-13-2010)
Old 11-12-2010, 06:58 PM
Executive Senior Member
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Phalcycle is on a distinguished road
For things dried, or already dead, I don't add cinnamon, because they are already dead, and won't affect the plant.
When I physically cut or damage live tissue, I would add cinnamon, as a fungal and safety protection because diseases can enter through there. When the plant itself dries up or die, they are in a way discarding the part themselves. As long as there is no green flesh open for a disease to enter, then you don't need cinnamon. For example, on a phal, if the spike has been dried and there for 1 month, and its lifeless, I would cut it. I wouldn't add any cinnamon, because 1, it wouldn't stick, and 2, there is no need

Everyday is a gift, thats why we call it the present
The Following User Says Thank You to Phalcycle For This Useful Post:
zaeem (11-13-2010)
Old 11-12-2010, 07:31 PM
V.I.P Member

Thanked 1,030 Times in 630 Posts
digitalgate is on a distinguished road
You don't have to "paint" over area you have cut. Plant like human recover from wound . You however can put carptan over the cut , it should do just fine.
Old 11-12-2010, 07:41 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Thanked 3,967 Times in 1,720 Posts
Ron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
You don't have to "paint" over area you have cut. Plant like human recover from wound
This now is what all horticulturist do when pruning or cutting plants parts/branches/roots.
I have never used anything when pruning orchids, roots or cutting a division, nature has a way of healing them by itself.
I suppose if you want to use something cinnamon would be fine.
Though I have never used it!

My friend Missy
Good growing, Ron
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron For This Useful Post:
phal-newbie (11-12-2010)
Old 11-12-2010, 07:47 PM
Member Photobucket

Ladyofthelakes is on a distinguished road
I read on the geeks that cinnamon is protection. I don't know if they do need it. Perhaps not, for me I try to follow some of the experts here since I am having "zilch" luck with my orchids blooming.

Life is GOOD

Please support Pet Rescue See our little Ozzy http://www.pekeatzurescue.com/2006adopted.htm Viv & Al
Old 11-12-2010, 07:49 PM
Administrator
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thanked 5,389 Times in 3,096 Posts
katrina is on a distinguished road
If you want something cheap...cinnamon would be the cheapest and easiest to find. Just the ground cinnamon you find in the spice aisle at the grocery store.

Regarding the question of do you have to use something. That would be a personal choice. Plenty of people use cinnamon every time they cut into live tissue....be it leaves or roots. Other use nothing at all.

I use it sometimes and other times I don't...I have never noticed any difference.
Old 11-13-2010, 08:10 AM
V.I.P Member

Thanked 3,702 Times in 1,792 Posts
rcb is on a distinguished road
I agree, it wont hurt to use cinnamon on leaves, rhyzomes, stems etc.

But since you specifically asked about roots, IMO it's a little different. Cinnamon is also a dessicant. I never use it on roots. I don't want my roots drying up. It has also been said that cinnamon has some anti-growth properties. Not sure if true, but again another reason to not use on roots just in case.

I dont use anything on roots when they are cut. I don't have problems doing it this way.

"I carefully described to Huxley the shooting out of the pollinia in Catasetum, and received for an answer, 'Do you really think I can believe all that?'" - Darwin, 1868

www.orchidsnhoyas.blogspot.com
Old 11-13-2010, 08:24 AM
Administrator
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thanked 5,389 Times in 3,096 Posts
katrina is on a distinguished road
I didn't even think about the desiccant activity. Excellent point Renee!
Old 11-13-2010, 12:45 PM

Filb is on a distinguished road
What I know about other plants is that they don't benefit from having something covering a wound site (be it root or stem etc.).
If you cover the wound with something that will prevent water from coming and going (liquid/"paint"), you could actually be creating a nice environment for pathogens to grow (which is bad news).

For anyone that cares, this is especially applicable for trees and other woody plants since they will compartmentalize the wound on their own.
Old 11-13-2010, 02:00 PM
V.I.P Member

Thanked 1,583 Times in 929 Posts
mehitabel is on a distinguished road
I "paint" cut roots with root hormone. The dried powder kind is cheap, app $7a bottle that will last for many years. The effect is to cause the roots to branch. This speeds up root formation considerably.

I use cinnamon for *some* lesions and cuts. The important thing about cinnamon is that it is an anti-bacterial and anti-fungal. So, if the lesion or bit of rot involves very tender tissue or a really important place on the plant, eg the crown, I use cinnamon. If it involved tough, mature tissue in a non-strategic place, I probably wouldn't bother.

So, if a tender new start of a phal leaf shows bits of rot, the cinnamon comes out. Likewise, a sunburned spot on a leaf that shows mushy.

For the edge or tip of a mature leaf, probably nothing is necessary

If a leaf shows some signs of fungal problems, or of mites, I brush the entire top and bottom of the leaf with cinnamon. Can't hurt.

In my experience, cinnamon does not inhibit growth of leaf tissue. When I have used it on a new leaf in the crown of a phal, the marred leaf continues to grow, and the lesion ends up on the tip of a big leaf.

However, as some posters pointed out, cinnamon is a desiccant. Someone told me it was used as a poultice for wounds in the pre-penicillin days, and I have played with it to close small wounds like paper cuts, or splinters on myself.

It will at least torment pests such as caterpillars, causing them to thrash around. I believe it would kill such things as mites. There is a recipe in this forum for an insecticide that uses cinnamon and soap for its killing agents. I think it's called "The Best Stuff on Earth"

Last edited by mehitabel; 11-13-2010 at 02:03 PM.
Old 11-13-2010, 02:45 PM
Executive Senior Member

zaeem is on a distinguished road
cinnamon powder on fresh roots or leaf not on dead parts.Dont worry.

Tags
roots