Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > Orchid Care > Orchid Pests and Diseases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2006, 11:20 PM

etazac is on a distinguished road
Overwatering? or Disease?

Can some one help me, Iam new here but like what I read and thought this sounded like a good place to visit.

I have these marks on a few orchids as you can see that near and on the buld the colour is different.

My relatives where looking after them and Iam sure they overwatered them.

Or is this a disease or fungi i need to deal with

Solutions or suggestions would be appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails
bpal1.jpg  

Last edited by etazac; 01-27-2006 at 11:30 PM.
Old 01-28-2006, 11:46 AM
Super Moderator Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Cynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond repute
I can see the attached image, but the link does not work. It looks like a Cymbidium. I don't see any problem in the attached picture. If Cymbidiums have a free draining mix, it is hard to over water them, as they normally grow best if not allowed to dry out. Perhaps you could reply to your post and attached another different picture that shows what you are worried about. Cynthia, Prescott, AZ
Old 02-12-2006, 08:12 PM
Site Owner
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Dave has a reputation beyond reputeDave has a reputation beyond reputeDave has a reputation beyond reputeDave has a reputation beyond reputeDave has a reputation beyond reputeDave has a reputation beyond reputeDave has a reputation beyond reputeDave has a reputation beyond reputeDave has a reputation beyond reputeDave has a reputation beyond reputeDave has a reputation beyond repute
After looking at your pic, it looks like your plant may have been water logged and started rotting. Are the lighter colors on the leaves squishy?

Generally a remedy is to cut out the infected part on the leaves with a clean sharp knife and seal the cuts with a fungicide spray. Then you just have to be patient as it will take a long time to heal.
Old 04-10-2006, 09:03 AM

etazac is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the replies since posting I have learnt part of the colour is natural, which is good and Dave you are right it is from over watering also found out that my Mother in law water them and watered them and watered them while I was away, kind heart just toooo much water
Old 04-11-2006, 12:11 AM

ryan_d_cruz is on a distinguished road
just want to add, as I had a similar problem, but it was not caused due to overwatering but low temperature, there was no rot but some of the bulbls were turned partially black, though they don't seem to wither, I have got them into inside the house which is much warmer and the plant seems to be doing fine and sprouting new shoots, so your mother-in-law might not be solely to blame ;-)

Ryan