Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > Orchid Care > Orchid Pests and Diseases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2009, 11:49 PM

Orchidity is on a distinguished road
New purchase has me very concerned

Hi,

I just purchased an Ascocenda (Vanda Dr. Anek x Ascda Kultana 4N) - looks more like a Vanda than Ascocenda based on size - which looks extremely unhealthy. I'm almost certain its guignardia, though not sure whether I should be concerned for other orchids in my collection and throw it out or keep it and hope it blooms. For its size I would think it had bloomed before, but there is no indication of it ever having spiked before. Based on its health (discoloring, uneven color, rubbery leaves) its no surprise.

Any guidance would be most appreciated.

Old 04-11-2009, 11:50 PM

Uggh, where are the pics?

They are located on Flickr, here is the url for the set.

sick Ascocenda - a set on Flickr
Old 04-12-2009, 12:41 AM

I sent an email with photos to the seller expressing my concern. He has credited me for the purchase. I responded back asking whether he thought my other orchids were at risk and should I throw it away, his response was

"Please throw it away. Far away......."

I don't know whether this is sincere or sarcasm, so I will wait to hear from a community I trust. It is outside away from my collection, but if infection has spread to any of my other 50+ plants, I will not be a happy camper.

I'm pacing back and forth as if my children were in intensive care.
Old 04-12-2009, 12:47 AM
Executive Senior Member
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thanked 1,002 Times in 558 Posts
tansyflower is on a distinguished road
I bought one recently (Vanda Noid) that had spotty streaky leaves ( There was a thread about it last week with a pic -"Vanda with Spotty Streaky Leaves")

It looked different to yours (the problem), but I was also told to throw it away (no credit as I bought it at the markets). If you have received a credit, buy a new one (from someone else), and chuck the old one...and hope the other orchids are ok...
Old 04-12-2009, 02:11 AM
Junior Member Photobucket

LouisW is on a distinguished road
I dont think it was sarcasm. I might do what the growers says, get it out before spreads to anything.

Your plant is half and half but, size isn't a reliable way to differentiate between Ascocendas and Vandas. There are some that are just as large as your average Vanda and the Plants are almost identical as far as I can tell.

Last edited by LouisW; 04-12-2009 at 02:15 AM.
Old 04-12-2009, 04:32 AM
V.I.P Member

Thanked 5,451 Times in 3,014 Posts
kmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond repute
I agree with Louis. I didn't read it as sarcastic. It sounds to me like the seller is trying to do right, first by issuing a refund and then by giving you (what I consider to be) good advice on getting rid of the infected plant.
Old 04-12-2009, 04:57 AM

klaraau01 is on a distinguished road
Its just not worth the gamble - it will cost much more to eradicate this disease - better to spend your time and money on healthy plant
Old 04-12-2009, 05:16 AM
Executive Senior Member

tom499 is a jewel in the roughtom499 is a jewel in the roughtom499 is a jewel in the rough
I would agree with all the replies, diseased plants aren't worth it.

What I think is weird is someone selling a diseased plant in the first place, especially when it looks like that. =\
Old 04-12-2009, 11:13 AM

Happy Easter everyone!

Exactly Tom, and why I thought it might have been sarcasm. From the greenhouse to packaging and sending, this still was sent to a customer. Either they haven't a clue (highly doubtful), or don't care (I don't want to believe that).

There were three other orchids in this order. I presume that at this point everything doesn't have to be thrown out?

I'm so disappointed.

Thanks much everyone.
Old 04-12-2009, 08:38 PM

I would quarantine everything that came with diseased plant for a few weeks to make sure there are no symptoms. If those plants are contaminated as well I would hold the seller responsible and ask for a refund on them as well.

Its good that the seller gave you a refund (another sign he wasn't joking), but like tandsyflower said I wouldn't buy from them again. It may be a freak thing, but sending a totally diseased plant is 1. flat out irresponsible 2. damaging to their reputation 3. endangering the rest of the buyers plants.
Old 04-12-2009, 11:03 PM
Senior Member Photobucket

davetheorchidaddict is on a distinguished road
I always contact the grower when I have a problem like that and the larger ones will normally give me credit. I do not blame the grower as much as his help who will pack a plant reguardless of the condition and the only way they know it is if we report it. The grower has maintain quality to keep business.
Old 04-13-2009, 02:58 AM

I respectfully disagree. First, if the grower is not aware of the health of his/her product, he/she should not be in the business of growing. If we have to report that their plants are diseased, then it is a very poor business they are running. Second, who's to say what level of knowledge a packer has with regard to the health of plants? In all likelihood this is a part time, minimum wage position.

Thanks again to all for your advice and comments. I will certainly not be purchasing any plants from them again (Oak Hill), and I drove the plant 2 miles from my home and pitched it in the woods. I hope that's "far away" enough.

And now, back to the pleasantries of my orchid collection! I just had a beautiful Dendrobium thrysiflorum that has just dropped its flowers, and a Dendrobium crepidatum and Dendrobium parishii about to bloom. 8 Phals. are currently in full flower, and Ascocendrum curvifolium and three Cattleya hybrids spiking.

Happy Spring to all!
Old 04-13-2009, 11:27 AM

Oh Its Oak hill!? I have always considered them one of the best sources. Thats a bummer.
Old 04-13-2009, 01:16 PM
Senior Member Photobucket

davetheorchidaddict is on a distinguished road
Orchidity, I agree that they should know but if you have ever been in some of these grower's greenhouses it is easy to see how something is able to get out without them seeing it. It is hard to keep tract of hundreds of thousand plants. I think it is a great idea to take the plant away to discard it. Enjoy your growing of your little darlings. To me that looked like some mite damage.

Tags
ascocenda, problem